Buffalo meat

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Marc
General

Buffalo meat

Post by Marc »

Does anyone have any idea/information why whale meat was changed to buffalo meat for the Sega CD version of Snatcher, considering the consumption of whale meat is an actual issue in Japan?
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

It was certainly an issue around the time of Snatcher's release. I've just dug out a recording from 1994 of R.E.M. rather uncharacteristically doing a Japanese commercial advocating whale hunting:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/91ixoc

I suppose buffalo is slightly more American, if that means anything.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yeah, that's my only guess. But if you look at the interview Chris Barker did with Jeremy Blaustein, he says,

My personal feeling is that I like to encourage gamers to learn about the culture where the game was made. I also think that game players are interested to learn (something large Japanese game companies sometimes have a hard time believing), I only adjust for the target audience if I feel that any translation simply couldn't be "pulled off".

Maybe it was something Scott Hards changed.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Possibly, yeah. I hope you listened to that track - it's pretty rare!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Ha ha, come on, this isn't R.E.M.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Well, Alice's intestines were made static to keep away the PETA people, so I would guess that whale meat was changed to buffalo meat to keep away the Save the Whales people. That's how fucked up this country is.

Whoo! Two hundredth post!
Last edited by 8bitsonic on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Osiris wrote:Ha ha, come on, this isn't R.E.M.
Hard to believe, but it genuinely is! Michael Stipe's made plenty of effort to attempt to bury that piece of the band's history, and you can really see why.

I had no idea that it was originally whale meat, though, but I suppose it explains Mika (and all them lot)'s disgust at the eating of buffalo meat. Would have made a very poignant point, as it is it's all just rather amusing.
powderehss
Favorite Game: Policenauts <3
Kojima games owned: MGS HD Collection, ZOE HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker

Re: Buffalo meat

Post by powderehss »

I personally felt like they should've kept in the whale meat; it still would've given the player an "Oh... ewwww..." kind of reaction if anything.

Also 'cause especially these days, folks are chowing down on buffalo burgers and buffalo jerky left and right, lol :lol:
(...I want a bison burger with barbecue sauce and onion rings now... Ungh I gotta find a place that sells buffalo patties...
Not sure if Trader Joe's does. :cry:)