PC Engine Version Translation

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
HorseFactory

Post by HorseFactory »

Reborn from the Ashes wrote:
Spoiler:
Given what Elijah says about Random believing he was human, and SD Snatcher, where Random is clearly distressed when Elijah reveals he's a bioroid, I think that Random did believe himself to be human, it's more a matter of when he realised he wasn't.

If Act Three had just been a little longer....:P
I tried half a dozen times to get into SD Snatcher and failed - it's a little too archaic for my tastes, but I'd really like to know exactly what happens in the scenes with Elijah if anyone could elaborate, as opposed to Act 3 in the CD versions of Snatcher.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

A Big FUCK YEAH!! And a even bigger Thank You for making a PCE translation. Nice! (shit I'm tired as hell while I'm typing this :lol: be glad I did not transpose the 'yeah' and 'you' :P )

No worries on not having subs for the spoken dialogue. Most ppl who dig this game in the 'other than Sega CD format' have seen enough anime in their time and been to Tokyo and shit so the spoken Japanese spoken language is understood well enough.

Speaking a language and being able to read/write it are 2 VERY deferent functions of the human brain and of communication. For a game better to get the written items fixed and leave the speech naked and pure (sans subs) as it were, if you cannot do both.

Shit, its Kanji that fucks me up when reading Japanese. An its not like Kanji is not 55% or more of most Japanese written items now is it... LOL! :lol:

I have the CD 'ROMantic' Snatcher (physical game disc- but *ahem* 'self made' pilot disc) but play all on Magic Engine. Nice to know that with a ROM hack I can now read in English what is going down.

I've played it many times and also the MSX and Sega CD ones, but this is going to kick some ass! It will make the game seem (to my mind anyhow) new and fresh- I can see it like it just came out thanks to the new feel the English writing gives it comboed with the Japanese VA and better uncensored graphics of the PCE version.

Nice work! Respect! Big time! :cool:
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

But I did, and it was worth it making it to the end of SD Snatcher. My strategy in beating SD Snatcher was to level up to level 64 in floor 1, building 1 of pier 17, then get the three most powerful guns (Mad maximum, Needle Point, and Midnight Express, get 100% skill and 999 bullets for all of them), and also stock up on all the flares, grenades, missiles, junkers, antidotes, and gyros that I could stock up on.

P.S. if you need help playing through SD Snatcher in its entirety, use these walkthroughs:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/msx/file/582563/27632

http://www.generation-msx.nl/cheats/sol ... er_eng.txt
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

Few questions...

I have tried to test some of the PCEngine emulators to play PCEngine game, Snatcher pilot disk to be more spesific. I made ISO of the game with ISOProducer, just like Policenauts CD's. But none of the emulators doesn't not support ISOs? Not magic Engine or anyother i have tried, so how should the patched game work?

btw, magic egine plays the Snatcher pilot disk CD-ROM, but it jams right after the Snatcher -logo screen comes? Why?

And last question, does the patch contains subtitles during spoken dialogue or not?
I read the whole topic, but since my english isn't so good that's something i didn't get :P
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
Spike
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Subsistence
Zone of the Enders 2 : The Second Runner

Post by Spike »

Solidé wrote:does the patch contains subtitles during spoken dialogue or not?
No, it won't.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

Solidé wrote:Few questions...

I have tried to test some of the PCEngine emulators to play PCEngine game, Snatcher pilot disk to be more spesific. I made ISO of the game with ISOProducer, just like Policenauts CD's. But none of the emulators doesn't not support ISOs? Not magic Engine or anyother i have tried, so how should the patched game work?

btw, magic egine plays the Snatcher pilot disk CD-ROM, but it jams right after the Snatcher -logo screen comes? Why?

And last question, does the patch contains subtitles during spoken dialogue or not?
I read the whole topic, but since my english isn't so good that's something i didn't get :P
To use ISOs with Magic Engine just mount the game to a virtual drive (like with Alcohol 120%) and then run Magic Engine and load the game from the drive letter that your virtual drive is set to. It is that easy! :) :smile:

EDIT: Pilot Disc issue... I have a few copies of Magic Engine. One I own (I paid for it ) and three I "have" from places around the net. Of the three others I have only one plays the Pilot Disc (the one I paid for does too). So that may be the issue. Also I play it by using the ISO mounted image in the way I said above. Never form the physical CD drive. Hope that helps.
Solidé
Captain
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.

Post by Solidé »

Yes, i tried that too.
I mounted the image with DaemonTools and tried to open with Magic Engine, however the emulator then says that the CD is not PCE CD-ROm and cannot be played. :???:

EDIT: Oh, and i have full version of magic engine.
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

Hi, I'm new to this Snatcher game, I've never played it, I'm waiting for the patch like a lot of people. I got the PCE version of the game on eMule, it's in BIN/CUE format. I mounted it with Daemon Tools and loaded the game with Magic Engine and everything worked fine for me, no crashing/slowdown, it was just perfect. Too bad it was all in Japanese ^_^
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

Hi there Newtype!

I suggest you to get copy of Snatcher Sega CD version, it's the only version of the game which is released in US and Europe, so it has also English voice acting. It usually cost's between 70-100$ at eBay but it is really worth of the money. (Of course you can also download it if you want xD )
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

I also have the SEGA CD version, but I don't know which emulator to use. I tried this Gens emulator but I couldn't even configure the controls with it. The interface is pretty sucky.
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

Newtype wrote:I also have the SEGA CD version, but I don't know which emulator to use. I tried this Gens emulator but I couldn't even configure the controls with it. The interface is pretty sucky.
Try out Fusion, i found it much better than gens. You can make your own controls with it too.
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ge ... usion.html
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

Thanks Solidé, Fusion is perfect!
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

Humm... Pilot Disc issues....

2 items to try. If you own the physical disc then try to rip it to ISO form by a different program (I'm sure you tried that already tho) and then mount that image.

If you do not have the disc itself then maybe the ISO/ files you have are corrupt or not complete. Try and get them from another source.

I have had issue like that with others games in the past. When I got new copies of these games from others places I found the file sizes were deferent and that the 1st ones I had were incomplete venisons.

Its always best to buy the real thing- if that cannot be done tho then make sure you have a working copy. There are more bad copies then good for rare game discs it seems.
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

Yes, i have the game disc physically and i did just like you said...
Made ISO with ISOproducer, mounted the image with Daemontools. Then i opened the mounted image with magic engine but it says the disc is not PC Engine CD ROM.
Newtype

Post by Newtype »

Damn, I started playing the game for the first time this morning, and now I just finished it. I got addicted to it, it was so good! LOL

I'm surprised I didn't even die, that shooting sequence at the end was crazy, I guess I got through it because of my superior newtype abilities, haha (^o^) I also ate Neo Kobe Pizza for supper, it was okay, nothing to go crazy about.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

Did you try and mount it with another program? I use Alcohol 120% and have never had any issues.

I used Magic ISO to make the copy- tho making the image is not really the issue it seems.

Both Magic ISO and Alcohol 120% have better mounted image simulation then Daemontools from what I find. This is the 1st I hear of Daemontools (if that is the issue) having trouble with the Snatcher Pilot disc tho- its had issue with other games tho.

Both programs I said be4 while not free can be made to work free if $$ is an issue. I won't say any more but you can figure out what is meant by that, and where to look to make it so. If in theory you wanted to try that path.

Also try having the ISO and WAV files (how you rip and set them up) in a folder and making a CUE file for them and not the ISO itself. Then mount the CUE . Again I use Alcohol 120% to mount CUE files and they play fine.

Copy this pic and take a look to see if you have all the setup flies you need (minus the zip of course).

Does your Magic Engine have the SYSCARD3.PCE file? I put a pic to show all the files in my Magic Engine setup. I can play all games for the PCE system. Maybe a file got deleted in yours?

I hope that it can be worked out so you can enjoy the Pilot Disc.
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

No, i have not tried anyother than Daemon tools, and also i don't have SYSCARD3.PCE kind of file in my Magic Engine folder. I'm now downloading Alcohol120%, let's see if that works... If not thn i have to download magic engine from somewhere else than i downloaded before.

Thanks for the help joeypete ;)
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

If you need that SYSCARD3.PCE just let me and I can get it to you. Its not a registration key nor ROM but a file that Magic Engine needs, so it should be cool for me to send it to you.

Hope you get things working! :)
http://fearthegaychicken.com/
You Know You DO!!! LOL! :lol:
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

I've got a question for you guys: Upon translating the PC Engine version into english, would it be possible to translate the PC-88 version into english as well? Thanks in advance.
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

okey, i got PCE Snatcher yesterday and i got the game working.

The Problem earlier was simply the fact that i was fool... lol
I didn't know that i should have used TurboRIP program to rip the game audio tracks and other files. I were only used PowerISO to rip the ISO of the CD and nothing else :D

uugh, stupid me...

anyway, it works now.
If anyone else still has this same simple and stupid problem as i had... here is the program you will need. http://nick.serveblog.net/forums/index.php?topic=69

1. Put your PCE Snatcher CD-ROM to your PC drive
2. Open TurboRIP program.
3. In TurboRIP choose the drive where the Snatcher CD is.
4. That's it! The TurboRIP rips all audio tracks, ISO and cue images and saves them automatically to TurboRIP directory.
5. Use Daemontools to mount the .cue image, and open the mounted .cue image with MagicISO (or someother PCE emulator).

But, i still have one question, i noticed the audio tracks are in .wav format so they are very large files, is it possible to convert those audio files to mp3 format?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

A CD uses PCM audio.
You are emulating a CD on a drive.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

I'm happy you got it working! :grin:

Yeah, some times its those silly errors we over look. Like need to RIP the audio too.

Have fun with it now that you have it working!

Just keep the WAVs. IDK your HDD space but the ISO and WAV size is just equal to 700MB (one CD) so in todays age of huge HDDs for cheap storage (500MB to 1 TB that alot of gamers have now- with 1 or 2 HDD set ups internally) its not too big a cost, size on disc wise (IMO anyway).

If you do convert to ogg/mp3 you need to remake the CUE file. And in my experience Magic Engine will give errors for that if its anything other than WAV files and ISO that is mounted.

Have fun with the director's cut of Snatcher! It owns! (you knew that already tho! :wink:
http://fearthegaychicken.com/
You Know You DO!!! LOL! :lol:
Solidé
Captain

Post by Solidé »

joeypete wrote:
Have fun with the director's cut of Snatcher! It owns! (you knew that already tho! :wink:
Yeah, i will!

...as soon as the translation patch will be released... :D

Since my Japanese isn't good enough, i'll have to wait the patch. ;)
MrSeed

Post by MrSeed »

Hello everybody,

I can announce that the transcription of all the English voices of the Sega CD Snatcher is almost complete. Only 2 conversation transcribed from me must be checked. I would really like to thank Reborn from the Ashes for sending the final pieces to complete the work.

There is only one thing which I want to confirm. It's about the next line:
{PCM file, 01:26:30,160 - 01:26:37,515}
Katrina: When you get back let's go to Alton Plaza, okay? Promise? And I'll forgive you for that little incident. All right?

I don't get this line in mine game at the end. I think you can get it, if you offend Katrina too much at her home and you're thrown out. Can somebody confirm that?
Advice of a RUNner: Beware Snatchers are everywhere
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Great, glad to hear that.

And yes, I can confirm getting that exact line on my second run through of the game.