View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PC Engine Version Translation 
Runner

Post Re: PC Engine Version Translation
I've heard that the code restores the nudes and shit, but not everything else.

If you want a comparison between every Snatcher version, then go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/liquidpolic ... atcher+ost

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:06 pm

SnatcherMkII wrote:
I've heard that the code restores the nudes and shit, but not everything else.

If you want a comparison between every Snatcher version, then go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/liquidpolic ... atcher+ost

Wasn't that just a rumour though? If I'm correct, it has never been confirmed right?
Will look at your link though, thanks.

Edit: Looked at the link, but it only shows (let you hear) the different Snatcher OST's.What I meant earlier is that I want to compare the SCD version with an English translated PCE version. I fear that I won't enjoy a Japanese version of Snatcher because my knowledge of the Japanes language is non-existent.

Long ago I looked at the different versions vids of the same 'LiquidPolicenaut' but I want to experience it first hand myself.

And I know that it doesn't belong in this thread but if I'm correct is has never been proven that the Konami code actually alters anything right? I'm just curious if there's any 'hard' proof.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:29 pm
Second Lieutenant

Kojima Hideo wrote:
if I'm correct it has never been proven that the Konami code actually alters anything right? I'm just curious if there's any 'hard' proof.

I don't think it does anything.
I theorise that it's just Konami throwing an in-joke at themselves into the game.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 pm
Profile WWW

Kojima Hideo wrote:
Edit: Looked at the link, but it only shows (let you hear) the different Snatcher OST's.What I meant earlier is that I want to compare the SCD version with an English translated PCE version. I fear that I won't enjoy a Japanese version of Snatcher because my knowledge of the Japanes language is non-existent.

Yeah that would be the objective.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Y'know, I'm really confused why exactly the 32-bit versions get so much hate. The Saturn version in particular is usually said to be more censored than it actually is. I think most people think the two 32-bit versions to be identical, when in reality they're actually pretty different from each other when it comes to censorship. In fact the only censorship I can recall in the Saturn version is the scene with the dog.

The Saturn port was the first version of Snatcher I played all the way through personally and I loved the soundtrack, it had a nice creepy/atmospheric feel to it. The one thing I won't argue with is that the look of the game just doesn't match up to earlier versions.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:31 pm
J.U.N.K.E.R.

I've ALWAYS heard the saturn version was less censored than the ps1 version, but recently heard the music sampling in the Saturn version is inferior or something I wouldn't understand. Also...

:x
It's like they got a braindead monkey to compose this version of Innocent Girl
Other than this song, out of what I've heard, the Saturn/PS1 soundtrack is fine as long as you don't compare it to other versions too much, and even then most of it is pleasing enough. I actually prefer the PS1/SS version of the song in Gillian's Apartment instead of the SegaCD version, which sounds WAY too tense for no reason. >.>
What I'm interested in is the maze. I heard somewhere that the 32-bit versions added a maze somewhere, I think it's after the bombing in Queen's Hospital?

"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant

AwesomeBrand wrote:
I recently heard the music sampling in the Saturn version is inferior or something I wouldn't understand.

All the sounds are played at a lower bit-rate to accomidate the Saturn's smaller Sound RAM and therefore sound muffled or high pitched.
Also, there's practically no reverb for the sequenced tracks.

AwesomeBrand wrote:
:x It's like they got a braindead monkey to compose this version of Innocent Girl

I didn't think it was that bad.
And by the way, it's arranged. The composer would be the person who wrote the original version.

AwesomeBrand wrote:
I heard somewhere that the 32-bit versions added a maze somewhere, I think it's after the bombing in Queen's Hospital?

Yup. Instead of talking to Metal for five minutes, you wander around a maze, fall down, shoot some insectors, push a button, wander around some more, get trapped, talk some more, get un-trapped, shoot some more insectors, and then bada-bing bada-boom you're out.

Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I've heard the Saturn version is technically inferior when it comes to sound too... although oddly I prefer some of it's tracks over the PSX port, one being Pleasure of Tension. While Innocent Girl was butchered badly... I actually do prefer 3 tracks in the 32-bit versions. Creeping Silence, Outer Heaven, and Pleasure of Tension (Saturn) are all even better in the 32-bit soundtrack if you ask me.

Also, that maze was a real pain... it might not have been had I actually understood Japanese, but man I wandered around for like 30 minutes (might be an exaggeration) before figuring out where I was supposed to go. If you actually understand Japanese it might be a cool addition as it does add a bit more variety and a greater sense of isolation. For us who don't it's more of a flaw than anything.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:09 pm
Second Lieutenant

TheBardsSong wrote:
Yeah, I've heard the Saturn version is technically inferior when it comes to sound too... although oddly I prefer some of it's tracks over the PSX port, one being Pleasure of Tension.
Because that's one of the four tracks they decided to re-arrange for the Saturn.
If they did that for the others I might have enjoyed the music a little more, but no~ they hade to make it unlistenable on ear-bleeding levels.

TheBardsSong wrote:
While Innocent Girl was butchered badly... I actually do prefer 3 tracks in the 32-bit versions. Creeping Silence, Outer Heaven, and Pleasure of Tension (Saturn) are all even better in the 32-bit soundtrack if you ask me.
'Innocent Girl' was only saved from being completely abominable on the Saturn by its not-too-badly converted guitar samples.
'Creeping Silence' is okay-ish but it could use some work to improve the lower, more understated vibe they were going for.
The other tacks here are pretty good, though, especially 'Inside Outer Heaven' (a remix of 'the Entrance to Hell').
I also kind of like the new track for the Junker's Eye shooting range. Hey, it beats silence.

TheBardsSong wrote:
Also, that maze was a real pain... it might not have been had I actually understood Japanese, but man I wandered around for like 30 minutes (might be an exaggeration) before figuring out where I was supposed to go. If you actually understand Japanese it might be a cool addition as it does add a bit more variety and a greater sense of isolation. For us who don't it's more of a flaw than anything.
I had to go to GameFAQs and find a rudimentary JASCII map of that maze and figure out which Kanji meant left and which one meant right.
It's kind of a cool puzzle, but it isn't very import friendly.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

Hey, I'm new here, but I have been a fan of the works of Mr. Kojima for a very long time and I have to wonder, do you think that the game should also require a new dub to better fit the retranslation of Snatcher, by any chance? I mean if it works for Ys, I'm sure it could work for the PC Engine version of Snatcher (and Sailor Moon & Ranma if possible) too.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:06 pm
J.U.N.K.E.R.

there's a chance that could work but they'd have to engineer those parts to match up with the english dialogue. That and some scenes are simply nonexistent in the Japanese version which, in the case of scenes that use redbook audio, would require editing the tracks to match those scenes (which may not even work since one of the most common problems for people is the track isn't the right length or something, requiring more programming) or remaking/importing entire scenes which would counter what the project was meant to do (experience what Japanese gamers experienced) in addition to being a pain in the ass. Sadly this badboy is probably not happening at least not anytime soon since Marc's working on MGSV so he wouldn't be able to work on it even if he DID change his mind about not taking it up.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

How long has the project been put on "hiatus" for? I haven't really read any news in a long time. (First time on junker hq friend told me about the patch around 2009?) Is it because of mgs v? Or what's up with the translation?

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:00 am

Thought i'd bring this back up since it's been at least 3 years since a last post....

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:06 am
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Artemio in 2009 wrote:
One of the posts we lost when the db was changed by our service providers was Marc's reply.

He replied that he won't be taking on this project.

7 years already? goddamn
as for reasons I don't know exactly. I know MGSV was the reason he stopped working on the Saturn Policenauts translation but 2009 was long before GZ was announced I doubt had anything to do with that back then.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:46 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah man 7 goddamn years..... Any contact with merc since mgs v?
Geez time flies pretty fast huh?

Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:11 am
Runner

There's more chance of me getting laid than Marc coming here until MGSV release.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 am

Holy cow, Marc is working on MGSV? In what capacity? Wow...

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:54 pm
Second Lieutenant

He happened to get the project through INTAC and his name was in the credits for Ground Zeroes, so it's easy to assume that he also worked on the script for The Phantom Pain since they've been doing English voice work on it since at least late 2012.

Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9