I know it's probably stupid to ask, but.....

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
ReasonWhyNot
Second Lieutenant

I know it's probably stupid to ask, but.....

Post by ReasonWhyNot »

.......why don't the Japanese ever draw Japanese characters in their own image?? And I'm not talking about the giant eyes or huge hair, but more so why their characters just don't have a Japanese look to them. A lot of their manga does, but not anime specifically. Take this game for example. Since all the charcters are Japanese (at least I'm assuming), why do their ethnicities look more American or European than Japanese?? I'm really just wondering. This isn't a complaint or anything, but I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas as to why this is.
Last edited by ReasonWhyNot on Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

It's not a real cultural thing, its all in the artist's intention period. What they want them to look like ect. Even though theres a climb in Japan to look american cocaisan, where they get plastic surgery ect.
Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob »

Actually, I'd argue that most of anime does actually draw Japanese characters in the Japanese image, with the exception of shows that are supposed to take place in a more western environment (i.e. Hellsing takes place in London, Lodoss War is based on European swords-and-sorcery archetypes, etc.). In a similar fashion, Snatcher was going for more of the Film Noir effect, which is why most of the characters look so western. I think the outfits of the people at Junker are evidence enough of this.