View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Mildly interesting photos from UK magazines 
General

Post Mildly interesting photos from UK magazines
I was looking through some old Mega Drive magazines at a friend's house last night, and I found a couple of bits about Snatcher. No full-size previews or reviews, disappointingly, but I found an advert and a little news snippet with some early screenshots. They're not terribly interesting themselves (although one of the screenshots uses a different font from the final game), but they've made me interested in getting some of the issues from around that time, so I can get a proper review.
The advert is from issue 61 of Sega Power and the news bit is from issue 23 of Mega.

Attachments:
File comment: Note the fact that the game's advertised for Mega Drive rather than Mega CD.
Snatcher Ad.jpg
Snatcher Ad.jpg [ 185.38 KiB | Viewed 580 times ]
File comment: Sorry about the quality. I took this with my phone. Feel free to ask for me to take a clearer photo if you're interested.
Snatcher News.jpg
Snatcher News.jpg [ 93.14 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Runner

I've got a copy of a UK magazine that has an interesting review in it - they compare Snatcher to the violence of a Tarantino movie! I'll have to scan it some time...

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:52 pm
General

Thanks for posting these, though the claim of plenty of gameplay in the second one is a little questionable... I think they should have said atmosphere instead.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:58 pm
J.U.N.K.E.R.

OMG! Snatcher and LE II being advertised together! *is in deep amazement* :grin:

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:45 pm
General

Thanks for posting these, though the claim of plenty of gameplay in the second one is a little questionable... I think they should have said atmosphere instead.

I don't think anybody in Britain was looking for artistic depth in games back then. Just something that was a bit of fun. If they didn't lie about quick-fire action, it probably wouldn't have sold (not that it did, anyway).

It did remind me of when I first saw that advert though. Remember thinking "Wow! This looks like The Guyver!" (the only anime I'd seen at the age of seven). I remember being very disappointed when I heard it was Mega-CD only. I could, potentially, have been a Snatcher fan when it first came to Europe if my parents had let me have a Mega CD when it came out (I was desperate to play Sonic CD). I also remember that the mention of Snatcher in early previews peaked my interest in MGS before it came out. I didn't realise my history of being a Kojima fan spanned that far back. :)

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]