New Snatcher PCM to WAV converter UPDATED to v 1.0.2.0

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

New Snatcher PCM to WAV converter UPDATED to v 1.0.2.0

Post by 8bitsonic »

I just wanted to let everybody know that Snatcher and myself (well, mostly Snatcher) have developed a brand new custom program for converting the PCM file in Sega/Mega CD Snatcher (which contains all of the sound effects and most of the dialogue) into a regular WAV file. It's much better than the previous method, which was to use PCM2WAV, because that program lost half of the audio quality. Artemio's program restores the full audio resolution! It's quite wonderful to hear the Snatcher dialogue at your leisure in perfect quality. The page on JUNKER HQ to do this (http://junkerhq.net/Snatcher/PCM2WAV/) will be updated soon with the program; the ZIP file will contain a Windows executable, as well as the source code to compile it for your own OS, and hopefully add more features to it (I'd like to see this program evolve into something that can extract perfect PCM audio from other Sega CD games like Willy Beamish, etc). Just a little mini-project; I hope you all have fun with this!

Update: The page has been updated and SPCM2WAV is now available for download.

Another update: The ZIP actually doesn't have a Mac executable; Mac users will have to compile it themselves.
Last edited by 8bitsonic on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrSeed

Post by MrSeed »

Splendid, I'm currently checking the transcriptions of the English voices of Snatcher. So a better sound quality would make the job easier. Are you going to release it, this weekend?
Advice of a RUNner: Beware Snatchers are everywhere
8bitsonic
Major
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.

Post by 8bitsonic »

Snatcher should update the page sometime today, perhaps within the hour...
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

The page with the download is now available http://junkerhq.net/Snatcher/PCM2WAV/

Two other programs are included: one to extract each segment as an individual PCM clip (1200+ of them) and one to extract the drum samples used in the game. Enjoy =)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
MrSeed

Post by MrSeed »

Snatcher wrote:The page with the download is now available http://junkerhq.net/Snatcher/PCM2WAV/
Thanks again. Just tested it and it works fine under windows and even under RISC OS. I only needed to change the filename extensions for the latter. :cool:
Advice of a RUNner: Beware Snatchers are everywhere
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Looking forward to checking this out... Thanks for your work, guys.
Snatcher2047
Runner
Favorite Game: SNATCHER
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Snatcher : Pilot Disk
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Wii Friend Code: 0087516012043877
Xbox Live: Snatcher2047

Post by Snatcher2047 »

Tried it out and it works great. Excellent work you guys.
The Kremlin : A Snatcher Fan Site, est. 2000
JustinAaron.com
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: New Snatcher PCM to WAV converter

Post by el_ash »

without this tool i'd have one hell of a time ripping the sounds for the "Snatcher MOD"!
with this i got everything without a HINT of music or other sound over the samples.

this progz is FREAKIN AWSOME! in the immortal words of Carl from ATHF.

MUCH THANX! =D>
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Artemio
Site Admin

Re: New Snatcher PCM to WAV converter

Post by Artemio »

I am really glad you found a use for it man, we had fun doing it.

You can use the second version of the program that breaks every sample, it would be more useful in such case.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Artemio
Site Admin

Re: New Snatcher PCM to WAV converter UPDATED to v 1.0.2.0

Post by Artemio »

Today I finished a program at my office that handled WAV data, and I though "Why not fix that old Snatcher dumper to give those pcm files a header so that people can just use a regular player and have access to all the samples?".

So I went back to it and changed it here's the download page. I also changed the drum sample dumper to do the same, and I added a new routine to remove all the silent files, so now you have only 1214 wav files, but every one of them is a sound sample from Snatcher. Hope you guys like it.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
8bitsonic
Major

Post by 8bitsonic »

Artemio wrote:Today I finished a program at my office that handled WAV data, and I though "Why not fix that old Snatcher dumper to give those pcm files a header so that people can just use a regular player and have access to all the samples?".

So I went back to it and changed it here's the download page. I also changed the drum sample dumper to do the same, and I added a new routine to remove all the silent files, so now you have only 1214 wav files, but every one of them is a sound sample from Snatcher. Hope you guys like it.
Yay! Now people don't have to use GoldWave!
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

(No Subject)

Post by JonnyTanna »

Saw a reference to carl and couldn't resist posting a reply... :mrgreen:

By the way, 8bit guy.. what is the name of the turtle character in your signature?

Look's pretty bad ass (again to quote carl)
Jack
Runner
Location: Outside the memory of Shadow Moses, done running...

Post by Jack »

Does the Picodrive PSP support WAV files? I played Snatcher with Mp3 files and the audio quality wasn't good indeed.
TULOA
Favorite Game: Sonic CD

Post by TULOA »

Curious you made this application turn PCM Audio into WAVs.

Can you make it do MP3s and/or make a MP3 a PCM?

I ask because im trying to convert the soundtrack in the Sonic CD for the Sega CD system and replace it with the soundtrack in the PC Version.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Hello TULOA,

The source code is included in the package, so you can make modifications to suit it for your needs. MP3 would be useless, since it is a compressed format and you can use wav instead. I do recall that Sonic's soundtrack was encoded in a different way than Snatcher's though, so you'd probably have to figure that out yourself.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Stratoslava
Favorite Game: Perhaps Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Snatcher, Policenauts (Sat & PSX)
Location: Argentina (where's that? South America, you %&%&!!!)

Post by Stratoslava »

You know... I've always dreamt about translating this gem to spanish (my native language)...
and I happen to know people who naturally speaks like most of the characters, and if that wasn't enough, some of them even know and like this game.

Is it there a way to do the exact opposite? to stuff translated dialogue in?
Titties & Beers!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Of course, the same source code will help you figure out the reverse algorithm. But audio lengths would need to match exactly.

In other words, a translation would need you to hack the game code, just as if you were translating form Japanese in many ways.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Thepirategamerboy12
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SEGA CD Version), Metal Gear Solid (Greatest Hits Version)
PSN: Manic1231

Post by Thepirategamerboy12 »

This is some pretty useful stuff! Whenever I learn good programming skills (I only know HTML well. :D), I want to port Snatcher to MS-DOS some day in the future. (So far, I've converted every speech file into an 8 bit 10989khz Sound Blaster VOC file, and they seem to sound okay and play well without too many cycles. But that's as far as I can go for probably several years.)