Spoilers, please don't read unless you've finished Snatcher.

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Reborn from the Ashes

Spoilers, please don't read unless you've finished Snatcher.

Post by Reborn from the Ashes »

Does anyone else feel sympathy towards Random? I just finished Snatcher again, and I started thinking about this. He does so much, saving Gillian's life at least four times, blows up Queen's Hospital, and prevents Neo Kobe from being nuked.

I thought it was pretty sad when he set off the TNT he carried in Queen's Hospital, but I actually felt sad for Random in the Kremlin, he survives the explosion in Queen's Hospital just to discover that all his memories are fake (in a way), but even worse, he sacrificed himself to help stop the Snatchers, the thing he hated above everything else, only to discover that he is one himself, made in the image of the Snatchers creator. Then finally, he sacrifices himself for the last time, saving Neo Kobe.

I just find that very tragic. Although it was more or less set in stone that Random had to die, once it was revealed he was a Snatcher, I still found it sad, especially as he saved Metal's memory chip. Even after he found out he was a Snatcher, he still did everything he could to help Gillian and Metal.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Post by Johnny Undaunted »

Yeah, Randam was my favorite character too. I think there's plenty of evidence though that Randam was meant to survive in the game (especialyl, considering the ending to SD Snatcher, where he actually survives the explosion and goes to Russia with Gillian and Metal). While I would've preferred if they had went with the Randam lives scenario, I must admit that the ending they choosed for CD-ROMantic worked better for the game than one in which Randam survives.

Still, I wish they would've gone with the "Master Snatcher" scenario from SD Snatcher into CD-ROMantic as well, instead of merely making Elijah into a Jaime-obsessed stalker though.
Junker-2045

Post by Junker-2045 »

Yup. Random was also my favourite character. I wanted him to live. His lines were awesome though in the kremlin, "if we both die, there wont be a copy or an original now will there?" But one must not poke holes in a masterpiece such as snatcher.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

I love how Kojima creates development for each character, and even "round" characters so you end up feeling sympathy, cause the round characters turn into main characters in a ways. For instance poor Harry, I thought it was the ultimate horror to see him die in his father's arms (gillian) without even knowing. As also to see random make the great sacrifice at the end. Hmmmm "Sacrifice," and story line building "deaths," lol sounds like a Kojima game to me! :P (sorry, I be a smartass indeed)
Reborn from the Ashes

I liked Random's lines in the Kremlin as well, especially "By Snatching you, I'm finally gonna get my real self back."

Snake, I agree with you what you said about Kojima developing the characters. Another character I felt sympathy for was Cunningham. Not even Mika shows any sadness at his death, even though he's already dead before the game starts. :(

I'd really like to play SD Snatcher, is there anyway to "find it"?
Last edited by Reborn from the Ashes on Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Post by Snake Plissken »

Reborn from the Ashes

Thanks! :D
Red Falcon

Post by Red Falcon »

If you press Shift + 4 at the SCC menu you enable the infinite money cheat. :P
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Red Falcon wrote:If you press Shift + 4 at the SCC menu you enable the infinite money cheat. :P
Figures! Go play the regular non-cracked version like it's meant to be. That way you can beat the Master Snatcher. I recommend NLMSX as the emulator of choice.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Is there a translated ROM that works properly otherwise?
Red Falcon

Post by Red Falcon »

Actually, I found out about the Infinite Money Cheat after I beat the game. And I was playing non-cracked one that didn't have the black screen menu about the SCC thing.
Emu I used was blueMSX.

And Crowley, it's not a rom it's a dsk. There's 3 dsks and you're supposed to insert it into Disk A drive of your MSX emu.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Ok, I'll rephrase that: Are there translated disk images of SD Snatcher where the experience level advancement works properly?
Red Falcon

Post by Red Falcon »

What's wrong with the one that the Underdogs has? I just tried that one and it seems to work ok.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Crowley wrote:Ok, I'll rephrase that: Are there translated disk images of SD Snatcher where the experience level advancement works properly?
Tried the following site. I imagine there is, although I usually play the raw (non-translated) dump.

www.planetemu.net
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Does Gillian ever actually 'repay' Random in any way (for saving his life on several occasions)? He promises it two, maybe three times... but I don't think he ever gets a chance to act on it.
Johnny Undaunted
Major

Rick Deckard wrote:Does Gillian ever actually 'repay' Random in any way (for saving his life on several occasions)? He promises it two, maybe three times... but I don't think he ever gets a chance to act on it.
Actually, he does so by saving Mika and killing the Cunningham-Snatcher.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

It seemed to me that he was doing that more for Harry than Random.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

yeah, but still, he got Cunningham in the end which is all the really matters