SNATCHER - 3D Remake ***UPDATED 8-18-13*** *NEW Pics!*

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 5-23-09***

Post by el_ash »

Well I've been busting my ass on the MOD to make up for the 4 months of downtime... ](*,)

I'm always happy to hear that you guy's are rooting for me, It helps motivate me!
I really appreciate the support :mrgreen:

Yeah I was dissapointed to find that there will not be a "Project S" this year.
I'm dying to play Policenauts as well, And the wait will soon be over thanks to the talented team here at JHQ!

I'm going to be posting an update very soon, And I think you guy's will enjoy it!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 5-23-09***

Post by el_ash »

HAPPY CATASTROPHE DAY!

For this special day in Snatcher history I have done a special update of sorts....

I suggest anyone interested in this MOD goes over to my MODdb site to see all 15+ images, and vids!
The vids should be up on my MODdb as well soon, if not you can check them out on my Youtube!
(all links are on page 1 of this thread).

I have some more great MOD news...

CryMod member "Vigilante" is hard at work on a "Dialog System" for the MOD!
So I'll have some video/images of this system in action over the next few weeks/months.

Here's a little taste of the update...please enjoy :mrgreen:
Attachments
Compare - Alton Plaza.jpg
Compare - Plato's Cavern.jpg
Compare - The NEW Kremlin.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 6-6-09***

Post by XenoMorph »

Dialog system??? It's hearing stuff like this that makes the mod seem more and more "real" day by day.

For some reason, I can't help thinking about Mass Effect's dialog system for this mod, I mean, the dialogue options usually consists of one or two words anyway, so you'd have no problem sticking dialog options in that little dialog ring. Just a thought though, I'm sure you already have something else in mind :P
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Dialog system??? It's hearing stuff like this that makes the mod seem more and more "real" day by day.

For some reason, I can't help thinking about Mass Effect's dialog system for this mod, I mean, the dialogue options usually consists of one or two words anyway, so you'd have no problem sticking dialog options in that little dialog ring. Just a thought though, I'm sure you already have something else in mind :P
I'll have to give Mass Effect a play...

The only things I know of to base the Dialog System on are games like KOTOR:II (mass effect's team), Fallout 3, Deus Ex etc.
I look to other games for ideas and inspiriation, then use the same approach for certin things that work well...such as a "Dialog System".

Yeah it's real...running on my machine LOL!
I should have the system working soon, "Vigilante" says a few weeks and it will be done...So then we will be tweaking it.

Dialog Ring? not sure I understand what you mean? (never herd of it)
But the "Dialog System" is something completly new coded and FG'd by "Vigilante", With a GUI/HUD design and everything.

I'm doing alot of good work on the MOD behind the scenes, And when It's far enough along I'll be showing it off as usual.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

The Kremlin shot made the fanboy in me squeal! You're making amazing progress on this! Have you showed this off to other forums yet too?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Henry Spencer wrote:The Kremlin shot made the fanboy in me squeal! You're making amazing progress on this! Have you showed this off to other forums yet too?
Beleive it or not I usually have the same reaction to my own posts :mrgreen:
Thanx, the MOD is just going to continue to get better and better as I get more done.

Well only you guy's here at JHQ really understand the work I'm doing, But I do update my thread in the CryMod Forums.
I have a great little following on CryMod, But I don't think a single one of them has ever played Snatcher.

I have been working on re-creating the 2D intro graphics in a 3D setting, Here's a look....
And there's a quick "Teaser" of it on my Youtube page!
Attachments
compare - Intro Virus.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 6-12-09***

Post by XenoMorph »

That's what I mean by "Dialog Ring". I don't know what else to call it. It gives you a lot of free room to see the emotions of characters as well as surrounding space. In Mass Effect you can reply to their questions mid-sentence.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Image

That's what I mean by "Dialog Ring". I don't know what else to call it. It gives you a lot of free room to see the emotions of characters as well as surrounding space. In Mass Effect you can reply to their questions mid-sentence.
Oh shit! that looks pretty cool....
Does it effect the NPC when you interrupt them in mid-sentence?
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Post by XenoMorph »

Sadly, no. However, when replies are filled with a little drama, nothing feels as good as choosing a response like that and then watching Shepard pull a gun on an un-cooperative alien just as it's explaining that he doesn't know what you're talking about :D

Anyway, you could give the dialog ring a spin (no pun intended) if it doesn't feel too awkward.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Sadly, no. However, when replies are filled with a little drama, nothing feels as good as choosing a response like that and then watching Shepard pull a gun on an un-cooperative alien just as it's explaining that he doesn't know what you're talking about :D

Anyway, you could give the dialog ring a spin (no pun intended) if it doesn't feel too awkward.
Well I was thinking about the pull a gun option for every conversation, Since Gillian does it to Ivan (But i'm not sure about this yet).
Once the System is running I'm going to play around with ideas etc.

I still have to see the System in action in Mass Effect, I might get the game soon.
Right now the Dialog System is more like that of Fallout 3 (or most RPG's), And if Mass Effect's System is that good...I'll be using something similar if possible.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
p13t3rm
Favorite Game: Snatcher, Lunar 2
Xbox Live: ThrashMoney

Post by p13t3rm »

I think this is amazing and all.
But honestly I think you should have used the Fallout 3 engine for this.
It would have been perfect.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

p13t3rm wrote:I think this is amazing and all.
But honestly I think you should have used the Fallout 3 engine for this.
It would have been perfect.
I enjoyed Fallout 3, And have considered this before.
But there's one major thing I thought about...

What's the point of using the Fallout 3 Engine if I'm not going to create the ENTIRE island of Neo Kobe?
There's an isane amount of additonal content I'd need to create for something like that though.

I'm only one man who works on this in my spare time though, If I had the reasources of Bethesda...
Such as a Team of 100 people and 4 years of solid time to commit, I'd give it a shot!

BTW : a small update....

As usual the MODdb page has more images etc.
Attachments
GibsonsWars8.jpg
Compare - Gillian's Apartment.jpg
RedSquareWars.jpg
Last edited by el_ash on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
p13t3rm
Favorite Game: Snatcher, Lunar 2
Xbox Live: ThrashMoney

Post by p13t3rm »

If you don't mind me asking,
What are you using for 3d modeling?
And how do you plan on implementing the whole text based menu?
I'm really interested in this and wouldn't mind helping you out with modeling or mappping out the different areas.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

p13t3rm wrote:If you don't mind me asking,
What are you using for 3d modeling?
And how do you plan on implementing the whole text based menu?
I'm really interested in this and wouldn't mind helping you out with modeling or mappping out the different areas.
it's in the pages of the thread here, But... :mrgreen:

ALL of the level work is done in the Cryengine 2 / SandBox 2 toolset with "Solids".
ALL the model work is done in 3D Studio Max 9, with some test work being done in MudBox 2009 for now.

As far as the "Text Based" aspects of the game....
I'm pretty much going for the Fallout 3 approach as far as interaction and NPC conversation.

EDIT : PM ME about helping me model :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 6-23-09***

Post by XenoMorph »

When I saw that house I shat myself.

Man, I just remembered that my brother is studying 3D modeling in Riihimäki. I should ask if he wants to try his skills at modeling a few Snatcher locales (He is a huge fan of that game, like myself).
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:When I saw that house I shat myself.

Man, I just remembered that my brother is studying 3D modeling in Riihimäki. I should ask if he wants to try his skills at modeling a few Snatcher locales (He is a huge fan of that game, like myself).
Thanx man...LOL!

I can't wait to actually start modeling these scenes either!

ALL of the level work is done in the SB2 for now, And it's very limited.
I don't really use anything more than 4 sided boxes, The SB2's toolset isn't designed for complex modeling in Engine.
It's just so much easier to tweak and edit in-game in realtime with the SB2 tools, Until I'm ready to finish things off.

Just wait until I bring this work into my modeling program and start detailing and touching it up :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Well I've been working on the JHQ/Central Ward map, Here is an image (large sized for once).

As always the MODdb Page and other links for the MOD have more images etc.
Hope you Enjoy :mrgreen:
Attachments
ScreenShot0107.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Junker Gear Snatcher
Favorite Game: (Ask me sometime, PMs welcome)
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid series (all of them)
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
-MGS: Portable Ops
-MGS: Portable Ops +
-MGS: Digital Graphic Novel
Snatcher
(Policenauts someday, thanks to you dedicated folks.)

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 6-27-09***

Post by Junker Gear Snatcher »

Wow.

That looks A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Seriously, very professional looking. Very true to the original.

Can't wait, bro. Well... I can. but you know what I mean.
----------------------------------
Listening to my own "Policenaudio."
Author with one finished book,
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

And yet I still find time to be a Junker.
nemesiswontdie
Favorite Game: Snatcher,MGS1,RE3
Kojima games owned: MG,MG2,MGS1,MGS2,MGS3,MGS3 Subsistence, MGS4
PSN: nemesiswontdie

Post by nemesiswontdie »

wow dude this looks great! im pretty interested in this. when do you think it you will be finished with this?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

nemesiswontdie wrote:wow dude this looks great! im pretty interested in this. when do you think it you will be finished with this?
I honestly don't have a fucking clue.... :mrgreen:

I've been working on this project for a little over a year now, And there's still a shitload of work I've got left to do!
It's really taking a long time because I'm the ONLY person working on this in my spare time, And I'm teaching myself most of these positions/tasks as I go.

Not to sound like the idiots in charge of Duke Nukem Forever (wich is NEVER coming out!)...But "When It's Done" LOL!
You will definatly know when it's done though....and it won't take 12 years!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Post by XenoMorph »

Duke Nukem "For Never" you mean? Hyukyukyuk!

Ahem.

So, my brother feels that with his current level of skill, he's not worthy of working on anything Snatcher related, lest he soil the greatness that was a Cyberpunk Thriller on the Sega CD. I can understand that position, it's a pretty intimidating task, even if it's only a cryoengine mod.

As long as you don't keep changing the engine like they did with Duke, you'll probably be able to shave a couple of years off from that 12-year timeline :D

We'll all have Quantum processors by the time Duke Nukem Forever hits the shelves, enjoying the game in a realistic, full virtual reality 3D environment.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Duke Nukem "For Never" you mean? Hyukyukyuk!

Ahem.

So, my brother feels that with his current level of skill, he's not worthy of working on anything Snatcher related, lest he soil the greatness that was a Cyberpunk Thriller on the Sega CD. I can understand that position, it's a pretty intimidating task, even if it's only a cryoengine mod.

As long as you don't keep changing the engine like they did with Duke, you'll probably be able to shave a couple of years off from that 12-year timeline :D

We'll all have Quantum processors by the time Duke Nukem Forever hits the shelves, enjoying the game in a realistic, full virtual reality 3D environment.
I was REALLY hope'n the Duke would show his face this year!

I think I know how your Bro feels.....
I honestly don't know why I'm doing this at my current skill level?
But I know that by the time I'm done I'll be happy with the work/my skills.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 7-1-09***

Post by el_ash »

Well the video is up....Enjoy :mrgreen:

JUNKER HQ / Central Ward "Teaser" #3 :

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QsGQhd26OSw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QsGQhd26OSw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by silent_snake »

It looks wonderful.
CryEngine 2 looks amazing, BTW did Crytek release the Crysis Warhead SDK?

Oh, the Aphex Twin music fits wonderfully in the video. :wink:
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:It looks wonderful.
CryEngine 2 looks amazing, BTW did Crytek release the Crysis Warhead SDK?

Oh, the Aphex Twin music fits wonderfully in the video. :wink:
Thanx Man :mrgreen:

Well the "Warhead" editor subject is a confusing mess, so i'll skip the details.
Instead we got the Crysis "Wars" engine/SDk/Editor to work with now (the MOD is running on it currently).

I usually listen to Aphex Twin, Alec Empire, Atari Teenage Riot, Skinny Puppy and DJ Shadow when working on the MOD....
It helps to put me in the whole "CyberPunk" mood to work on something like "Snatcher", So sometimes I use the music I listen to for the Vids.

The funny thing is I have a 64-bit machine, and a DX10.1 Graphics card, But I'm running XP 32-Bit and DX9 Graphics right now!
So the MOD/CryEngine 2 will look even better once I change over to DX10/64-bit (I HATE Vista...so I'm just not going to bother with it).
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack