SNATCHER - 3D Remake ***UPDATED 8-18-13*** *NEW Pics!*

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Re: "SNATCHER" A Crysis Wars MOD ***UPDATED 3-17-10***

Post by DOTL »

Hell, it´s a Dialog System.
That fact alone makes me so happy!!!
Thanks for the screenshot, and keep it up!

Oh, good luck for your school! ( I hate math, too!! ) :-D
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Post by zombie-flesheater »

Great work so far!
I've been watching your progress ever since it began and only just now decided to register on here.
I've been doing some modding myself back in the old days, namely on the build engine (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior) and the first actual level i made was Junker HQ :mrgreen:
Too sad it was lost due to a hard drive crash, and i didn't make a backup on a floppy disk. CD burners were hardly common those days, since they would still cost a fortune.
So please make sure you're making physical backups as you progress, we don't have to share the same fate :cry:
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

zombie-flesheater wrote:Great work so far!
I've been watching your progress ever since it began and only just now decided to register on here.
I've been doing some modding myself back in the old days, namely on the build engine (Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior) and the first actual level i made was Junker HQ :mrgreen:
Too sad it was lost due to a hard drive crash, and i didn't make a backup on a floppy disk. CD burners were hardly common those days, since they would still cost a fortune.
So please make sure you're making physical backups as you progress, we don't have to share the same fate :cry:
Thanx! and Welcome!

Well then we share a lot in common as far as modding man...
The first engine I started Modding with was the BUILD Engine! (Duke and SW)
(I think i still have early builds of the levels somewhere on my HDD, but they are missing my custom textures).
I actually wanted to start the project back then, but the tech was crap...only now is it capable of what I'd like to do.

Oh don't worry about backups man....I still have some of my BUILD work from 13 years ago LOL!
I always have 2 backups of all my work, and I'm going to soon have a 3rd :mrgreen:
And if all else fails I have the ultimate file recovery program, and it works great! (fully tested)
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

el_ash wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:Great work so far!
Thanx! and Welcome!

Well then we share a lot in common as far as modding man...
The first engine I started Modding with was the BUILD Engine! (Duke and SW)
(I think i still have early builds of the levels somewhere on my HDD, but they are missing my custom textures).
I actually wanted to start the project back then, but the tech was crap...only now is it capable of what I'd like to do.

Oh don't worry about backups man....I still have some of my BUILD work from 13 years ago LOL!
I always have 2 backups of all my work, and I'm going to soon have a 3rd :mrgreen:
And if all else fails I have the ultimate file recovery program, and it works great! (fully tested)
You're right about build's limitations. I had a screenshot of the chief behind his desk taken from Snatcher and placed it as a 2D-Sprite in build. It would even play the chief's introduction words when you walked up to it and pressed use :mrgreen:
But it just didn't feel right with the chief spinning around with his desk as you moved around inside his office (creepy!) and while i can listen to it over and over again within Snatcher, it felt like killing the pace when being forced to listen to it within a build map, and without the "talking heads". :/
Luckily, those limitations are not present anymore today.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Yeah BUILD was great for its time, but it wasn't really a real 3D engine.
I found that when I re-skinned the models for "Red Faction" to look like Snatchers it looked much better!
(because it was a true 3D engine)

I'm VERY happy with the CryEngine2, and I can't wait for the CryEngine3!
It's the BEST engine and toolset I've ever seen and used for modding period.

Since you mentioned it I'm still thinking about the whole "Talking Heads" situation...
I'd love to have it, but I'm not sure about what I'm going to do about that yet. I have ideas and concepts though.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

el_ash wrote:Yeah BUILD was great for its time, but it wasn't really a real 3D engine.
I found that when I re-skinned the models for "Red Faction" to look like Snatchers it looked much better!
(because it was a true 3D engine)

I'm VERY happy with the CryEngine2, and I can't wait for the CryEngine3!
It's the BEST engine and toolset I've ever seen and used for modding period.

Since you mentioned it I'm still thinking about the whole "Talking Heads" situation...
I'd love to have it, but I'm not sure about what I'm going to do about that yet. I have ideas and concepts though.
I think the talking heads are pretty much a must if you show conversations like in the upper screenshot. You could place them on the upper right and left corners.
What i did like a lot, though, was how Mass Effect handled the dialogues. It switched its camera back and forth during conversations, which gave everything a very dynamic and movie-like feel. You were even able to skip portions of the dialogue by pressing the space bar and it wouldn't skip the entire dialogue, but instead skipping to the next sentence or talking person instead right away. The only downside of having such a system within Snatcher is that each camera angle for every sentence would have to be manually programmed, resulting in lots of additional work.
Besides, ME was 3rd Person, so i don't know if switching camera angles during dialogues might even pull you out of the immersion when the rest of the game would strictly be in 1st person. However, i think it would be a shame if we couldn't see Gillian's face at all, as it definitely helps identifying with him as the player character. I always used to have problems "linking" characters in 1st Person games when you never even saw their faces or emotions.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

zombie-flesheater wrote:
I think the talking heads are pretty much a must if you show conversations like in the upper screenshot. You could place them on the upper right and left corners.

What i did like a lot, though, was how Mass Effect handled the dialogues. It switched its camera back and forth during conversations, which gave everything a very dynamic and movie-like feel. You were even able to skip portions of the dialogue by pressing the space bar and it wouldn't skip the entire dialogue, but instead skipping to the next sentence or talking person instead right away. The only downside of having such a system within Snatcher is that each camera angle for every sentence would have to be manually programmed, resulting in lots of additional work.

Besides, ME was 3rd Person, so i don't know if switching camera angles during dialogues might even pull you out of the immersion when the rest of the game would strictly be in 1st person.

However, i think it would be a shame if we couldn't see Gillian's face at all, as it definitely helps identifying with him as the player character. I always used to have problems "linking" characters in 1st Person games when you never even saw their faces or emotions.
I think there are a couple of issues with the "Talking Heads"...
Besides the fact that it will be a pain to program if it is even possible without killing performance is that it will clutter the screen.
You will be seing the player talking to you up close and then in a mini window as well? kinda confusing and almost pointless, but I do love the "Talking Heads".
Just think of Fallout 3, Mass Effect or any new RPG with dialog + little talking heads ontop of that...it would be weird.

I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2, just finished the first game.
The dialog is handled VERY well in the game, and I'm modeling the basic Dialog System after the game already.
The camera angle thing is actually very simple and requires no programming really.

If you remember Snatcher did have "cut-scenes" where you saw Gillian quite frequently actually, and the entire ending is a HUGE cut-scene.
The "Heads" where mainly used to show the characters emotions and show them speaking to you because the image on screen wasn't realtime and up close on the characters as it would be in a 3D game capable of showing players talking.

I'm glad you mentioned this man, because it is an issue I've been pondering since I started this projects planning phase.
I won't have a real answer as to if there will be "Heads" though until the near final stages of the MOD.
If anything they will make a brief appearence for old times sake at least.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Well I'm still glad you went for *ahem* MY idea of using the dialog style from Mass Effect :D

I'm still an avid fan of your project, just haven't had time to post so much, since my return from my 3-month African backpack adventure left me exhausted and in desperate need of VIDEO GAMES! After playing through 13 games in the past month I can say I'm quenched.

And now, I'm off to Thailand. The policenauts patch was released while I was in Africa and I STILL havem't played it. How about you finish this project before I return from Southeast Asia? Keep up the good work!
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Well I'm still glad you went for *ahem* MY idea of using the dialog style from Mass Effect :D

I'm still an avid fan of your project, just haven't had time to post so much, since my return from my 3-month African backpack adventure left me exhausted and in desperate need of VIDEO GAMES! After playing through 13 games in the past month I can say I'm quenched.

And now, I'm off to Thailand. The policenauts patch was released while I was in Africa and I STILL havem't played it. How about you finish this project before I return from Southeast Asia? Keep up the good work!

I give you props for suggesting Mass Effects Dialog System, because after playing the seires I've gotten used to it and it is VERY nice! :mrgreen:

I'm on a break from the MOD until May, and then I'll be working on character modeling and re-designing the level work in MAX.
The Dialog System should be working in the next few weeks/months (my programmer lives in Slovania, so its hard to get the time to talk/work with him).
School has really put a dent in my development schedule, So I doubt it will be done by when you'd like...lol!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

I know this is %100 related to the MOD, but god-damn this is an awesome trailer for Crysis 2!

http://www.sosnewyork.com/

The game comes out by the end of the year!

So then the Snatcher MOD will indefinately be changing from the CryEngine 2 to the CryEngine 3 at some point this year!
(You should see the new SB3/CE3 features! its an amazing improvment over what i'm using currently...I can't wait!).
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Crimson Rex
Favorite Game: POLICENAUTS
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Snatcher.
PSN: CrimsonRex
Xbox Live: CrimsonRexGavMo

Post by Crimson Rex »

I'm gonna get this game just to play this mod.
el_ash
Major

Re: "SNATCHER" A Crysis Wars MOD ***UPDATED 4-21-10***

Post by el_ash »

Happy late 4-20 to all you stoners!

This video is from December and was exclusive to the group members, and then later added to the Moddb page...
I put it up on Youtube a little while ago for those who haven't seen it yet :mrgreen:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gA6V2boMGCY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gA6V2boMGCY&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Junker HQ's Lobby + Storage 2 WIPs!
No music or editing, no intro...straight quick and dirty "tease" footage...lol!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

el_ash wrote:Happy late 4-20 to all you stoners!

This video is from December and was exclusive to the group members, and then later added to the Moddb page...
I put it up on Youtube a little while ago for those who haven't seen it yet :mrgreen:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gA6V2boMGCY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gA6V2boMGCY&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Junker HQ's Lobby + Storage 2 WIPs!
No music or editing, no intro...straight quick and dirty "tease" footage...lol!
Looking great!
I especially like the chair at the entrance, since it makes perfect sense for having it there for visitors etc. to wait. It's those little details that made Snatcher great and it's great to see you're giving it some personal touch, yet not loosing focus and staying true to the original nevertheless. It's hard to tell why i got so excited about something as trivial as a chair, but even though it was never shown in the original, it just makes perfect sense for it to be there and in fact, should have been there all along ever since.
I can even imagine Gillian walking in, sitting down for a couple of minutes, looking around and Mika saying "Hello?! Is there anything i can help you with?" in a less and less friendly manner :mrgreen:

Besides the story, the thing i liked most about Snatcher was the ability to behave really stupid and receive reactions from other people because of the stupid things you did.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

zombie-flesheater wrote:
Looking great!
I especially like the chair at the entrance, since it makes perfect sense for having it there for visitors etc. to wait. It's those little details that made Snatcher great and it's great to see you're giving it some personal touch, yet not loosing focus and staying true to the original nevertheless. It's hard to tell why i got so excited about something as trivial as a chair, but even though it was never shown in the original, it just makes perfect sense for it to be there and in fact, should have been there all along ever since.
I can even imagine Gillian walking in, sitting down for a couple of minutes, looking around and Mika saying "Hello?! Is there anything i can help you with?" in a less and less friendly manner :mrgreen:

Besides the story, the thing i liked most about Snatcher was the ability to behave really stupid and receive reactions from other people because of the stupid things you did.
Thanx man! :mrgreen:

That is exactly what I'm going for!
I try to re-create the original scene as close as possible and then imagine I'm in that location...
And then I build what I think is needed/logical to fill in the blanks left by the 2D artwork to have it blend naturally for 3D.

I feel the same joy and excitment when I work on the project and create these maps...
So I'm glad its a mutual feeling, or I'd feel like I was doing Snatcher wrong.
I happen to be making this project a reality, but otherwise I'm just a big Snatcher fan.

You are dead-on with your imagination there Zombie....
That's how I'm looking to turn the 2D world and text scenes into gameplay really...by just adding the reality of a 3D setting to it all.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

el_ash wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:
Looking great!

I happen to be making this project a reality, but otherwise I'm just a big Snatcher fan.

...and i think that's the one and only way to go. Only a true fan could capture the essence and have the whole atmosphere and mood transpire into some other work. It's also where many game or movie companies fail: Different people get the license to make a sequel, remake, whatever, rip off the obvious things and clutter the whole thing full of their own ideas, which they think are great ideas. Usually, the ideas themselves are great, but happen to feel somewhat misplaced in context afterwards when you're a fan of the original.
It's especially when watching a series of movies, all done by the same director, and having one part of those movies done by a different director. You can't stop to think "No, he just wouldn't do that" in certain scenes, for example.
However, it can still work. Like having the Alien movies as an example. Each done by a different director. Each a great movie on its own right (maybe without part 4 arguably). However, even though i love all of them, i found it very difficult to watch all of them in a row. The mood, atmosphere, camerawork, pacing etc. changes from movie to movie.
Or if you take the new Splinter Cell game. I haven't played it yet myself, but i did watch and read lots of reviews. This new aiming feature where you can mark and kill multiple enemies in a row seems like a great idea, but i somewhat feel it just doesn't belong there.
And concerning your work so far, it makes me happy that there's a real fan at the works and i didn't notice anything yet that felt rather disturbing or out of place.

Just a minor thing i happened to wonder about, though: Are you keeping the original Japanese names (like Gaudi, Randam, etc.) or will you be using the ones from the localized Sega CD version (Jordan, Random, etc.)? It would be great to have the option to choose which names you prefer at the beginning, however, this would almost double the number of spoken lines and would be way too much effort for probably just the few people who would even notice or care.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

zombie-flesheater wrote:
And concerning your work so far, it makes me happy that there's a real fan at the works and i didn't notice anything yet that felt rather disturbing or out of place.

Just a minor thing i happened to wonder about, though: Are you keeping the original Japanese names (like Gaudi, Randam, etc.) or will you be using the ones from the localized Sega CD version (Jordan, Random, etc.)? It would be great to have the option to choose which names you prefer at the beginning, however, this would almost double the number of spoken lines and would be way too much effort for probably just the few people who would even notice or care.
I'll be letting you guys here BETA the game first to tell me what you think and I'll be making changes based on the communities feedback.

I have thought about that and if it isn't that hard to do I'll have the option to play the game with the Japanese names of characters and locations etc.

Anytime you have questions...just ask man...the same goes for anyone, because I enjoy answering them.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
jrx10
Favorite Game: Pieces
Kojima games owned: MGS
MGS2
MGS3
MGS Ghost Babel

Post by jrx10 »

Hey, been following the progress of this mod for a while but thought I'd register after seeing how well it is coming on nowadays!

Also wanted to offer my services in case you needed any help with the audio work at all, I don't know if you're planning to use new audio at all or just use the original stuff but I know a fair bit about audio software, synths and the like if anything of that nature comes up.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

jrx10 wrote:Hey, been following the progress of this mod for a while but thought I'd register after seeing how well it is coming on nowadays!

Also wanted to offer my services in case you needed any help with the audio work at all, I don't know if you're planning to use new audio at all or just use the original stuff but I know a fair bit about audio software, synths and the like if anything of that nature comes up.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Well right now I'm on a little break from the MOD until May...
But I'm glad you are a fan of the work so far! :mrgreen:

I've got the audio thing nailed down man!
I'm a bit of an audio engineer/musician myself, and live a few blocks from my favorite recording studio...so I'm set.
I have also taken care of everything sound wise and I have a semi-famous music producer interested in helping me out with some music.

You can always help out by checking out the Snatcher Community Thread though :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

I just watched the video again and noticed something just before the camera fades out at the end. I mean that there's another row behind each of the both rows of tubes.
I don't know if it was intended but this was just brilliant! I didn't notice it the first time, since i was probably to focused on the chair LOL and had my eyes in the middle of the screen afterwards (what makes it even better, since i have played Snatcher lots of times and always happen to find new things i missed before - another thing i absolutely love about this game) but man, i felt somewhat like being back in the game and in this last second, like the actual scale of the amount of Snatchers being revealed. That "shock" sound from Snatcher was right there creeping up my back. You know, the one where you see the fake Jamie Snatcher, or when you see that they have a Snatcher for Gillian, too, etc. :mrgreen: I think having no audio during that scene actually helped it even more.
I don't know how, but you just got to keep this one way or another in the finished mod. Maybe a scripted sequence in the same style, where you are looking at Gillian and Metal standing in front of the door, the camera zooming out more and more (just the way it already is) and then showing the final rows just before the camera changes back to the ingame view.
It has the biggest impact here, instead of in Snatcher storeroom just before this one, where they don't have their skin yet. You walk in there first, see still many but not that much "skeletons", but then you enter the next room and get the big shock when you realize that they're already much, much further ahead, with the "skeletons" just being the backup or reserve, and the main operation already being in the "skin tanks", with a much, much bigger amount of Snatchers than even ever assumed or revealed before, and almost ready to overwhelm anything standing in their way of complete domination.
I don't know if this was intentional or just coincidence, but this was just brilliant!

By the way, this would also be a great place to insert peoples' faces, taking the "...you're in here, too" literally :evil: And maybe even a Snatcher who looks like Kojima - or at least i think he wouldn't mind LOL
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

zombie-flesheater wrote:I just watched the video again and noticed something just before the camera fades out at the end. I mean that there's another row behind each of the both rows of tubes.
I don't know if it was intended but this was just brilliant!
And maybe even a Snatcher who looks like Kojima - or at least i think he wouldn't mind LOL
It is totally intentional...I'm expanding the small areas of the Kremlin to be larger, as well as the entire game in that way.
I figured 1 row of snatchers is not scary enough and not a big enough threat, so there are more of them
but I can't really talk about all of the extra little things I'm adding in general...because I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Since you mentioned it...yes...Kojima will be in it...and some other surprises as well. :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

I apoligize for the lack of new news or information guys...

With the new CryEngine coming out soon I've decided to put a lot of things on hold for now to assure a safe and easy transition to the new engine.
I've also been working on trying to complete the first map "Blood Bath" in the 3 part Metal Gear Online Map Pack, so I haven't been working on Snatcher much lately.

I've been testing out a NEW "Cel Shader" for use with the project, and stuff is going on behind the scenes that I can't mention yet...lol!
I have got to learn to model characters (the hardest task), and sit back and wait to port the work to the new engine, so this is a bit of a "Quiet Time" for the Mod.
I hope you don't think I'm dead or the Mod is dead LOL! Its still happening, but like all good things it takes time :mrgreen:

I'll try to make my next update something good..hehehehe
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Re: "SNATCHER" A Crysis Wars MOD ***UPDATED 7-06-10***

Post by el_ash »

***UPDATE 7-06-10****

This isn't much of an update, but its all I can give at the moment :mrgreen:

I've been playing around with some basic texture idea for the JHQ level that I'll show some of below.
There's just some window and sign textures I'm playing with, but I'll be re-modeling the whole level and re-texturing eventually so this is just "Test" temp work.

much more to come...
Attachments
JHQNEW22.jpg
JHQNEW23.jpg
JHQNEW25.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
jmflu

Post by jmflu »

Looks sooo awesome.

IS there any kind of ETA on completion of this? Seems like it will take a LONG time.

So awesome tho, Ill wait years if i have to :)
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Writing from Indonesia this time!

Just checked the progress and behold! The great ash (or should I say, ASS!) has totally left this project to sleep some beauty sleep while the rest of us wait with our ravenous mouths drooling at the prospect of this mod being released sometime this millenium. What a jerk!

Nah, you know I'm kidding man, hope school isn't busting your ass too hard. When you get around to making an update make it a lengthy one, ya? This mod owns!
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

jmflu wrote:Looks sooo awesome.

IS there any kind of ETA on completion of this? Seems like it will take a LONG time.

So awesome tho, Ill wait years if i have to :)
ETA : It hasn't changed from TBA (To Be Announced) yet.
Yes it will take a long time to complete, but good things take time :mrgreen:
XenoMorph wrote:Writing from Indonesia this time!

Just checked the progress and behold! The great ash (or should I say, ASS!) has totally left this project to sleep some beauty sleep while the rest of us wait with our ravenous mouths drooling at the prospect of this mod being released sometime this millenium. What a jerk!

Nah, you know I'm kidding man, hope school isn't busting your ass too hard. When you get around to making an update make it a lengthy one, ya? This mod owns!
Indonesia? wow man....
Nah, school is just consuming a shitload of my time lol!
The next update will be a BIG update, but I'm not sure when that will be... :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack