SNATCHER - 3D Remake ***UPDATED 8-18-13*** *NEW Pics!*

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
XenoMorph
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 1-22-09*** MT District Concept

Post by XenoMorph »

I was reading about your PC dying on you and as someone who has "been here, done that", I can actually give you some advice on getting at least a semi-decent PC until you can save money for a new one.

When my dear old Betsy bit the dust, I was ready to throw my monitor along with the broken heap of shit to the trash can. I was that sure that I wouldn't see a working computer on my desk for the next 3 years. But...

I decided to look up a computer store that was popular with local IT-companies. When I got there I inquired about the kind of systems than companies use and it turned out some small place had ordered 5 new systems, but they were trying to send 1 back because it had some kind of component problems. Since they were sold as a pack, they couldn't return one machine without returning all of them (or some other bullshit like taht, can't really recall). You know what I did? I took a brand new machine off their hands, only paid a small amount for it. Luckily, they couldn't be bothered to order a new pack of machines so they sold the crappy one to me. There was only a minor problem with the usb and power connectors. Well that and the power supply didn't work. Guess how I got a new one? All I did was call a few companies and ask if they had any surplus machines/power supplies lying around. Finally found one that did and they were kind enough to give me the power supply for free. I installed the new power supply and voilá! The front usb ports didn't work properly (you could only use them for recharging ipods and so on) but otherwise, it worked! I used it for some time and after scraping enough money together, I sold it for a few hundred Euros and bought a new one.

People too are ALWAYS throwing something away or selling them next to nothing. Stumbled across a Ati HD4870 some time ago on a flea market. I think it was about 80 euros (120 dollars?). However, I don't need a new card so I decided to let some other lucky bastard have it.

Anyway, guess all I'm trying to say is when you don't have money, dumb persistence and stupid ideas can get you a new comp for the time being. Doesn't hurt to try calling a few places, right? If you decide to give it a try, let me know how it goes.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 1-22-09*** MT District Concept

Post by el_ash »

The Snatcher MOD has made it into Issue #16 of Total PC Gaming!

I just recently got the scans from the magazine! :mrgreen:

there is a slight typo to it though...it's refered to as The Snatcher instead of Snatcher
Attachments
tpcg_016.jpg
TPG #16 SNATCHER MOD!(page).jpg
TPG #16 SNATCHER MOD!(small).jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
JimboKudo
Major

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 2-14-09*** IN TOTAL PC GAMING!

Post by JimboKudo »

It's great to see so much publicity going towards snatcher.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Nice one, Ash! I bet you were happy about that. This is one ambitious project I'd love to see completed. How are things regarding your computer now?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Henry Spencer wrote:Nice one, Ash! I bet you were happy about that. This is one ambitious project I'd love to see completed. How are things regarding your computer now?
I was pretty excited! (still am) \:D/

Luckily a friend of mine/fellow CryMod'r lives in the UK (where the magazine is sold), and mentioned it to me....
otherwise I would have never known about it.

I've found a computer that would suite me and the MOD well, but I'm not going to be able to purchase it for awhile.
But when I return to work on the project I'm going to go at it with a vengence.....to make up for the downtime!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by silent_snake »

It is simply great to see that this kind of things get the deserved recognition.
Congrats el_ash!
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:It is simply great to see that this kind of things get the deserved recognition.
Congrats el_ash!
It is nice, Thanx man!

The bigger picture is that Kojima's "Snatcher" is making headlines again :mrgreen:
Hopefully this sparks more interest in the original game, and makes some NEW Snatcher fans along the way!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Which makes your mod all the more important. Not to mention that the prices on ebay for the Sega CD game are skyrocketing. It'll be cool to play the 3d mod for free. My computer can run Crysis, but I'm probably not gonna buy the game until this comes out.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

JimboKudo wrote:Which makes your mod all the more important. Not to mention that the prices on ebay for the Sega CD game are skyrocketing. It'll be cool to play the 3d mod for free. My computer can run Crysis, but I'm probably not gonna buy the game until this comes out.
good point jimbo!

I haven't looked on e-bay recently, I still have the copy I got 14 years ago :mrgreen:

I think it's a good idea to hold off on buying "Crysis", since the MOD is changing to the "Crysis - Warhead" engine build shortly. (wich runs alot better)
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Randam Hajile
Favorite Game: Super Metroid
Kojima games owned: -Policenauts
-Snatcher (Sega CD)
-Metal Gear Solid I
-Metal Gear Solid II - Substance
-Metal Gear Solid III - Subsistence
-Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
-Zone of Enders 2: The Second Runner

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 2-14-09*** IN TOTAL PC GAMING!

Post by Randam Hajile »

Sounds and looks really interesting! Being able to freely move around some of the Snatcher's locations is surely going to be a lot of fun. And weird (In a very good way!)=)

Cheers, mate!
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Well GOOD NEWS....

I just ordered my NEW PC parts!
So I should be back up and running in the next few weeks, and then the next post here should be something related to the MOD! :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

Il do 3Ds max modeling for you when i get my comp and procure 3ds max.
This would be great for my portfolio + I love snatcher.
NANTO KAWAI!
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Finally....an UPDATE! :mrgreen:

I started building the Blaster again from scratch (lost the old model), And I did up a very rough/early test sculpt of Harry Benson for you guy's to check out!

My character modeling skills are still weak, but when this project is done....it will look the way it should....and far better!
(the "hat" was a last minute sculpt attempt...so yeah it sux).
Attachments
Blaster NEW TEST 4a.jpg
Harry sculpt test (ultra rough)2.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Snatcher, Policenauts

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 4-12-09*** Benson?

Post by silent_snake »

Oh yeah!
el_ash got a new PC and started making his magic! :mrgreen:
This looks just fine for me and makes me eager to see the final models in the end. I'm waiting patiently. :mrgreen:

Anyway, glad to see you continuing the project. :wink:
XenoMorph

Post by XenoMorph »

Not bad at all! If modeling is difficult why not try to recruit some outside help?
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Not bad at all! If modeling is difficult why not try to recruit some outside help?
I've been working on that for a while now, I might have someone in mind... :mrgreen:

The main problem is that everyone I know is already working on a MOD with their own teams.
But modeling is something I want to do anyways, So If I can't find anyone by the time I'm done with everything else...I'll just do it myself.

I recently built a test version of "Little John" to display (still VERY rough).
And I've been working on finishing the "Beta" version of the "Blaster" model (wich is now at %80).

You can check out the newest "Teaser" for the MOD showing the "Beta" model of the "Blaster" on Youtube!

Gillian's Blaster "Teaser" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-EQsmfr4Q (the vid shows a %60 version)
Attachments
LJ Test2.jpg
Blaster NEW R-9.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 4-18-09*** Little John? -YEAH!

Post by XenoMorph »

Man, I wouldn't mind owning a blaster like that.

Are you gonna redo the intro scene with the eerie monologue for this mod as well?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Man, I wouldn't mind owning a blaster like that.

Are you gonna redo the intro scene with the eerie monologue for this mod as well?
Same here, I could practically build one if I had the materials and tools...modeling turns you into a carpenter...LOL!

You mean the whole "this story is dedicated to all those cyberpunks...." followed by the rest of the intro until you are in JHQ?

Yeah...if it's in the game, it's going to be in the MOD as close to the original as I can make it. The MOD is following the Sega CD version, with some of the special scenes from the other versions thrown in.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
midori_fox
Runner
Favorite Game: Damn these kind of questions....
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear, 2
Metal Gear Solid, 2, 3, 4
MGPO
Metal Gear Ac!d, 2
Z.O.E, 2
Snatcher (rom)
Policenauts

Post by midori_fox »

what program you using?

Btw the blaster looks nice.

When modeling a character
or anything else like that try
to get the general shape and
siloet (however you spell it...)
looking right then go for the details.
And don't forget to save in stages
in case you ever need to go back.

Thats how I was taught... also
try and make everything loop
Ill show you what I mean when
I get further with Gillian.
NANTO KAWAI!
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

@ Midori Fox : For ALL of the models you see such as "Metal", "Little John", "Harry" and the "Blaster" I've used either 3D Studio MAX 9, Or MudBox 2009.

ALL of the Level work is done on the CryEngine 2/SandBox 2 with ONLY the "Solid" tool.
Meaning no complex shapes, almost only boxes....until I'll take the work and detail it in MAX or MUD soon.

I can't wait to see what you got! Hopefully you will be joining the team! :mrgreen:

I have Been having some problems with converting the MOD over to the "Wars" engine....
But with every patch things start to work better.

So in the meantime I've dug up some shots that i haven't posted yet! (still WIP)
Attachments
Compare - JHQ - Engineering.jpg
Compare - Intro City Shot1.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 5-03-09***

Post by el_ash »

Well I've been a little busy lately, But I've got an update on a part of the intro....

I've been working on fleshing out the area shown for a few seconds during what i'd call the second intro, The street "fight" shot of Neo Kobe. have a look, and enjoy!

I've been working on alot of things behind the scenes, mainly testing out how far I can push this engine and my computer since my PC is actually capable of running Crysis now. And the rest of the work has been re-working some things for the "Wars" engine transfer.
Attachments
Compare - Intro Fight scene.jpg
IntroFightStreet22.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 5-23-09***

Post by silent_snake »

Looks great!
Just one question, are the signs on the buildings some upscaled (filtered) textures from Snatcher or you (re)made them?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:Looks great!
Just one question, are the signs on the buildings some upscaled (filtered) textures from Snatcher or you (re)made them?

All images are taken directly from the Sega CD game, slightly modifed and then mapped onto the architecture.
I don't plan on using the actual Sega CD textures in the final version, But for now it works as a perfect reference!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Whew, those are some cool comparison pics man. I don't know how you find time to work on this stuff, it's gotta be time consuming. We're all rooting for you though :D
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Well, since it looks like we're not getting another Snatcher game from Koji Pro, you're more than making up for it. This actually looks like the real deal so far. After the Policenauts patch is out, this is the next Kojima related product I'm looking forward to!