SNATCHER - 3D Remake ***UPDATED 8-18-13*** *NEW Pics!*

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Sovvyy
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 7-1-09***

Post by Sovvyy »

Mod is looking awsome :D

Tennage riot is a classic ;]
silent_snake
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by silent_snake »

el_ash wrote:I usually listen to Aphex Twin, Alec Empire, Atari Teenage Riot, Skinny Puppy and DJ Shadow when working on the MOD....
It helps to put me in the whole "CyberPunk" mood to work on something like "Snatcher", So sometimes I use the music I listen to for the Vids.
Great choice, sounds mostly like some "underground-cyberpunk-rave-electro-something" combination... it can't get better than that. :mrgreen:
el_ash wrote: The funny thing is I have a 64-bit machine, and a DX10.1 Graphics card, But I'm running XP 32-Bit and DX9 Graphics right now!
So the MOD/CryEngine 2 will look even better once I change over to DX10/64-bit (I HATE Vista...so I'm just not going to bother with it).
The same applies to me, but IMHO Windows 7 will be quite better than XP, not to mention Vista. So, when Windows 7 comes out, it's time to upgrade to the new fresh 64-bit version and enjoy The "Snatcher" Mod in it's full glory. :D
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:
el_ash wrote:I usually listen to Aphex Twin, Alec Empire, Atari Teenage Riot, Skinny Puppy and DJ Shadow when working on the MOD....
It helps to put me in the whole "CyberPunk" mood to work on something like "Snatcher", So sometimes I use the music I listen to for the Vids.
Great choice, sounds mostly like some "underground-cyberpunk-rave-electro-something" combination... it can't get better than that. :mrgreen:
el_ash wrote: The funny thing is I have a 64-bit machine, and a DX10.1 Graphics card, But I'm running XP 32-Bit and DX9 Graphics right now!
So the MOD/CryEngine 2 will look even better once I change over to DX10/64-bit (I HATE Vista...so I'm just not going to bother with it).
The same applies to me, but IMHO Windows 7 will be quite better than XP, not to mention Vista. So, when Windows 7 comes out, it's time to upgrade to the new fresh 64-bit version and enjoy The "Snatcher" Mod in it's full glory. :D
Sovvyy wrote:Mod is looking awsome :D

Tennage riot is a classic ;]
I love ATR!
I've got ALL of Alec Empire's solo work, and most of Nic Endo and Hanin Elias's solo stuff too....
I'm definatly trying to catpure that musical sound, And it really does help pass the time when working for 3-6 hours or more on the MOD.

Yeah I'm waiting for Windows 7.... :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Congrats man, you'll get quite some attention after appearing in Joystiq =)
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Artemio wrote:Congrats man, you'll get quite some attention after appearing in Joystiq =)
what the hell?
I was just looking at my MODdb account and it said i got alot of views today...
I was thinking it was a mistake...
And I was really confused because my MOD was listed as ranked #4 of 9,800 mods!

Thanx Artemio!!!!
I would have never known if you hadn't informed me!
It's the same thing that happened with the issue of Total PC Gaming I got into, A friend/fellow modder in the UK informed me. Then I got in-touch with the magazine to confirm.

wow this is pretty cool news! :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph
Kojima games owned: Policenauts, MGS 1, 2, 3 and Metal Gear 1.

Post by XenoMorph »

Hey, people can appreciate fine work. Let's just hope more people getting interested in Snatcher would spark up some mainstream interest as well.

Meaning, Hideo Kojima with an all new Snatcher title. And yes, I'm kidding. It's never going to happen.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Hey, people can appreciate fine work. Let's just hope more people getting interested in Snatcher would spark up some mainstream interest as well.

Meaning, Hideo Kojima with an all new Snatcher title. And yes, I'm kidding. It's never going to happen.
Yeah I just got a message from "UnNamedGaming.com", They want to promote and interview me about the MOD. :mrgreen:

I think that it would be cool if Kojima commented on the project, or decided to bring Snatcher back somehow...
But I'm with you on the fact that I think it probably will never happen.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
DOTL
Favorite Game: MGS
Kojima games owned: MGS PSX
MGS VR
MGS Twin Snakes GC ~ sold
MGS 2 PS2
MGS 2 Substance PS2
MGS 2 Substance PC
MGS 3 PS2
MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

Post by DOTL »

Your mod is part of g4´s daily wrap-up here
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69727 ... 70909.html
and also part of a small article with one of your teasers
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69723 ... s-Mod.html
Rokuro
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear
Metal Gear II
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid II
Metal Gear Solid III
Boktai

Post by Rokuro »

This si the most fantastic thing I think I've ever seen :o
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

I'm starting to get into the "detailing" phase of the MOD for some of the level architecture.
Some of the work just can't get anymore detailed within the SandBox 2 (since it's not meant to be a modeling program).

I posted an update on the MODdb page with more images etc. :mrgreen:
Including some shots of locations I haven't shown yet, But of course they are very early works in progress (%10).

And I've been working on some "Icons" for the MOD and my desktop, So I've included the first of many for you guy's to download (It's the Neo Kobe City Symbol!).
Attachments
test.jpg
NeoKobeCity.rar
This is an "Icon" file designed for your Winblows Desktop.

The image is the "Neo Kobe City Mark".
(37.7 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 7-21-09***

Post by el_ash »

I know some of you have asked me if I would be using "Cell Shading" for the MOD.....

Well I've been doing some tests with a shader created by "Starwaster" over at CryMod, He's created a "Cell Shading" Shader for Crysis.
Here are 2 images of the shader in action, Note it's ONLY applied to the old Metal Gear MKII model I made (and the model is still un-textured).

I may or may not use this effect in the final game....it's still far too early to tell.
Attachments
cell shaded metal!.jpg
cell shaded metal!-1.jpg
Last edited by el_ash on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Re: The "SNATCHER" MOD ***UPDATED 7-29-09*** Cell Shader Test

Post by XenoMorph »

Using cell-shading on character models would make sense to me, since all characters in the original game are cartoony, right? While you can make the locales "realistic" looking, it's very hard to transpose drawn characters into full realistic 3d-models. My two cents.
The proximity of a desirable thing tempts one to overindulgence. On that path lies danger. - Frank Herbert
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Using cell-shading on character models would make sense to me, since all characters in the original game are cartoony, right? While you can make the locales "realistic" looking, it's very hard to transpose drawn characters into full realistic 3d-models. My two cents.
That's pretty much how I look at it as well....

I just can't give a %100 answer on this yet since I haven't gotten to the point of making the character models, Once I can test the "Cell Shader" on some finished character models I'll be more fit to make a decision.

So I'll see how it goes, But I'm aiming twords the "Cell Shading" personally :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
XenoMorph

Post by XenoMorph »

Well, Tales of Vesperia did it, I think? Or did they have an in-house developed method to rendering "anime" characters in 3D? The biggest problem I see with this is perspective. Old "3D" games solved this by making certain sprites always face the player character, no matter how you moved around them. I was thinking, maybe certain conversations can be done like this, you know, hand-drawn, with little room to move and making the NPC face the player at all times. This way you don't have to worry about your models looking stupid from certain angles, or have to worry about transiting drawn characters to 3D.

Example: Harry's room. It's basically a small hallway, with Harry in the middle, tools in the background, and player standing in the foreground. Now, this is the place where most dialogues with Harry will be carried out. You make a frontal projection of Harry, viewable from 45 degrees, and you're set. Same with Mika, in her booth. Upper torso, 150 degrees (or less?). Done.

Now, this could be carried out with a test scenario, you already have a WIP of Harry's room, as well as his head, all you gotta do is make that head look good from the front, test it out and see what it looks like. Teaser trailer of a dialogue, baby!

Oh yeah, if you think some ideas sound a little retarted, or if I'm burrowing too deep into your developing mechanics, feel free to tell me to back off. I'm a bit clingy when it comes to everything Snatcher related...yessss...*drool*
Tanuki
Favorite Game: Snatcher, Metal Gear Solid 2
Kojima games owned: Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hands (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (NTSC/J)
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid: Essential Collection (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty Premium Package (NTSC-J)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance (NTSC/US)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [Limited Ed.] (NTSC/US)
Snatcher (NTSC-J) [PC Engine]
Policenauts (NTSC-J) [PSX]
Zone of the Enders (NTSC/US)

Post by Tanuki »

Looks pretty amazing, keep up the good work man, can't wait for more updates :D
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

XenoMorph wrote:Well, Tales of Vesperia did it, I think? Or did they have an in-house developed method to rendering "anime" characters in 3D? The biggest problem I see with this is perspective. Old "3D" games solved this by making certain sprites always face the player character, no matter how you moved around them. I was thinking, maybe certain conversations can be done like this, you know, hand-drawn, with little room to move and making the NPC face the player at all times. This way you don't have to worry about your models looking stupid from certain angles, or have to worry about transiting drawn characters to 3D.

Example: Harry's room. It's basically a small hallway, with Harry in the middle, tools in the background, and player standing in the foreground. Now, this is the place where most dialogues with Harry will be carried out. You make a frontal projection of Harry, viewable from 45 degrees, and you're set. Same with Mika, in her booth. Upper torso, 150 degrees (or less?). Done.

Now, this could be carried out with a test scenario, you already have a WIP of Harry's room, as well as his head, all you gotta do is make that head look good from the front, test it out and see what it looks like. Teaser trailer of a dialogue, baby!

Oh yeah, if you think some ideas sound a little retarted, or if I'm burrowing too deep into your developing mechanics, feel free to tell me to back off. I'm a bit clingy when it comes to everything Snatcher related...yessss...*drool*
I like talking about it, And definatly enjoy answering as much as you like asking....

Luckily the original graphics designer's/artists for "Snatcher" made most of what they drew with pretty realistic proportions in mind for the most part.

From my test work with Harry I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the look down right in 3D.
Especially considering how well games like "Dragon Ball Z" and "Jet Grind Radio" turned out thanks to the use of great artists and "Cell Shading" techniques.

But I understand the concerns, And I've thought about that before for sure :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Project_Noah
Favorite Game: Snatcher <3
Kojima games owned: -Metal Gear (NES)
-Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid (GH)
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
-Metal Gear Solid 4: The Guns of the Patriots
-The Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection
-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops PLUS
-Snatcher (Sega-CD)
-Policenauts (PS)

Post by Project_Noah »

Oh man, this looks amazing! Keep up the good work!
For some unknown reason, I tend to find myself listening to Ulver's "Perditon City" when I view the screenshots. It's pretty fitting :D
Project_Noah
-Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid (GH)
-Snatcher (Sega-CD)
-Policenauts (PS)

Post by Project_Noah »

Ash contacted me a few days ago, asking me to do some concept art for his mod. I wasn't going to post it here until I got some feedback from him and gained more insight of what he wants, but I hope there's nothing wrong with showing my in process concepts here. Also, Artemio told me I should post 'em :D

He gave me three concepts to work with:
- Metal walking up stairs.
- Gillian making a videophone call.
- Metal "eating" Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's what I've came up with so far...

I'll add more detailed concepts of Metal "eating" NKP, and Gillian making a videophone call later.

(I had to resize it because Photobucket is a bitch, but you can check out the full-version on my DA)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I love the way Metal grabs the pizza. I have an African gray, and that is almost exactly the way he grabs stuff.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Project_Noah
-Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid (GH)
-Snatcher (Sega-CD)
-Policenauts (PS)

Post by Project_Noah »

Artemio wrote:I love the way Metal grabs the pizza. I have an African gray, and that is almost exactly the way he grabs stuff.
Awww :) Parrots are awesome.
BlackChaos
Favorite Game: Snatcher (Sega CD) , Doom , Quake , Goldeneye
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid , MGS 2 , MGS 3 , Snatcher
Xbox Live: BlackChaosX12

Post by BlackChaos »

im buyin Crysis Warhead just to play this... my pc should be able to run it ... correct me if im wrong my rig is
AMD Athlon X64 4000+ X2 clocked at 2.1 ghz .
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512 MB
2GB DDR2 Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit .(Changing Back To XP Soon ... gotta get a dvd r)

can't wait to see this.
AMAZING work so far ash.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

For some reason the drawing of Metal holding the pizza reminds me of the way I sometimes pick up socks with my toes instead of bending down to pick them up. And Gillian's disappointment... haha.
Kerm
Favorite Game: Besides the games Kojima make, The Elder Scrolls
Kojima games owned: Snatcher CD-ROMantic
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphical Novel
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders The 2:nd Runner
PSN: faderkaka

Post by Kerm »

I guess I'll have to pick up crysis when this is finished. Looks awesome. Keep up the good work!
*Reserved space for signature*
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

BlackChaos wrote:im buyin Crysis Warhead just to play this... my pc should be able to run it ... correct me if im wrong my rig is
AMD Athlon X64 4000+ X2 clocked at 2.1 ghz .
ATI Radeon HD 4350 512 MB
2GB DDR2 Ram
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit .(Changing Back To XP Soon ... gotta get a dvd r)

can't wait to see this.
AMAZING work so far ash.
yes I think your RIG will be able to run it MAXED OUT! :-k

I REALLY have to change ot edit the posts on here, and change the MAIN page of this thread to save people some money....
GOOD NEWS TO ALL : YOU NO LONGER NEED TO BUY CRYSIS OR CRYSIS WARHEAD TO PLAY THIS MOD ANYMORE! :-"

The MOD now runs on the "Crysis Wars" Engine.
CRYSIS WARS IS %100 FREE FOR DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE ONLY PLAYING MODS!!!
:-$

GET IT HERE : http://www.fileplanet.com/192494/190000 ... Wars-Trial
And download the latest patch (currently 1.5)

BTW : I can't thank Project_Noah enough....FUCKING AMAZING WORK!!! \:D/
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Project_Noah
-Metal Gear Solid
-Metal Gear Solid (GH)
-Snatcher (Sega-CD)
-Policenauts (PS)

Post by Project_Noah »

el_ash wrote:BTW : I can't thank Project_Noah enough....FUCKING AMAZING WORK!!! \:D/
You're MIGHTY welcome and thanks, Ash! It's truly an honor :D