SNATCHER - 3D Remake ***UPDATED 8-18-13*** *NEW Pics!*

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
dethklokdev
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 11-04-08*** Metal MKII Teaser!

Post by dethklokdev »

how long did it take you to learn how to use the program I would like to learn
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

dethklokdev wrote:how long did it take you to learn how to use the program I would like to learn
Well I'm honestly still learning, the program has so many things to learn/do...i know a guy who i think is the shit! But yet he still doesn't know the program fully after 3 years....and his work is freakin amazing! (blows me away by miles...)

I'm learning that it may look great in MAX, but my skills aren't perfected yet...and it causes errors when i convert it to the game engine.

I'd say download a trial version or something and get some tutorials, see if it's your thing or not. Then if you are really serious you need to get Crysis/Crysis Warhead and install the SDK tools and learn those as well.

the main issue is having a really good computer!
(something i don't have, that is screwing me over right now)

But I'd say if you are serious.....then just make it happen! :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

I decided to do a little something for the 20th anniversary of "Snatcher"!

I went back to an older build of the JUNKER HQ level, and made a NEW "Teaser" to show it off better.

the original "Teaser" has a "Night" setting, and didn't really show off how BIG it really was!

So I went back to a build of the level around the time when i made the original "Teaser" and filmed something new-er.

Hope you enjoy :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUq3az4y-yg

i recommend watching it in "high" quality.

Oh and here's a little something...
Attachments
MG-V3-8.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by silent_snake »

This looks absolutely great and very promising! I understand you are basically on the beginning of the project (judging from the video) but it looks very good. CryEngine is amazing but very hardware demanding, but if the mod will come out in a year or two that won't be a problem :) So IMHO that is an excellent choice to work with. BTW you are doing this alone?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:This looks absolutely great and very promising! I understand you are basically on the beginning of the project (judging from the video) but it looks very good. CryEngine is amazing but very hardware demanding, but if the mod will come out in a year or two that won't be a problem :) So IMHO that is an excellent choice to work with. BTW you are doing this alone?

Thanx man, yeah It's still what I'd consider a "sketch" compared to the final work of art.

The CryEngine2 is AMAZING!
but yeah...it's hardware demands are something my computer doesn't even meet, i can't wait to get a new PC.

The Crysis "Warhead" Engine is a slightly modded version of the engine, and from playing the game it runs ALOT better than original Crysis...there's just no SDK tools released yet.
(I'm waiting for Crytek, hopefully they release them this christmas?).

So yeah, by the time I finish this project everyone will more than likely be able to run it, or build a cheap PC to run it...right now a good PC to run it costs like $600-$900...in 2 years it will be like buying a PS3 or cheaper.

P.S. ...Yeah I'm the entire Development Team, the one and only person working on all of this you see....but I don't mind...I love Snatcher :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid VR Missions, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by silent_snake »

Yep, they said that the Warhead SDK will be released "as soon as it is complete".
But I would like to ask how the gameplay is going to work? Is it going to be from first person perspective and the player can freely walk through the level? Or something like the original Snatcher?

P.S. You definitely have to be a really big fan of Snatcher to do something as this all by yourself. You have my deepest respect.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:Yep, they said that the Warhead SDK will be released "as soon as it is complete".
But I would like to ask how the gameplay is going to work? Is it going to be from first person perspective and the player can freely walk through the level? Or something like the original Snatcher?

P.S. You definitely have to be a really big fan of Snatcher to do something as this all by yourself. You have my deepest respect.
Yeah I know....there hasn't been a single SDK update/patch/release since March!

The gameplay will be pretty much the same as the original, just picture the original game in Full 3D...along the lines of Fallout 3 basically.

And You will be able to free-roam a great deal, I'm pushing for the ability to actually drive/fly the Turbocycle as well.

Thanx man, I'm doing it for the rest of us Snatcher fans/for the love of a great game!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Post by silent_snake »

el_ash wrote:Yeah I know....there hasn't been a single SDK update/patch/release since March!

The gameplay will be pretty much the same as the original, just picture the original game in Full 3D...along the lines of Fallout 3 basically.

And You will be able to free-roam a great deal, I'm pushing for the ability to actually drive/fly the Turbocycle as well.

Thanx man, I'm doing it for the rest of us Snatcher fans/for the love of a great game!
That is simply awesome! Especially the idea of driving the Turbocycle! I hope you will be able to incorporate that in the game.
Anyway, just take your time... I'm sure the Snatcher fans (myself included) will be more than grateful when you release the mod :)
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Well Right now you CAN drive around the locations, as well as fly!
But it's with the Crysis VTOL and Jeep...I'm working on the Turbocycle Model.

I might have to shrink the level sizes down some, once I texture and add the scripts, NPC's and all the details. So that could result in the loss of flying....and possibly driving?

Because I don't want that aspect to be cheap, like you can only drive/fly around a small space....that wouldn't be very fun.
I want a decent amount of fun/freedom to it.

I'll make a quick gameplay vid of this if you'd like? showing flying and driving around the JHQ map?
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Post by silent_snake »

el_ash wrote:I'll make a quick gameplay vid of this if you'd like? showing flying and driving around the JHQ map?
Well, I really don't want to bother you with that, but if that is not a problem I would really like to see it.
I believe others will be interested too.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:
el_ash wrote:I'll make a quick gameplay vid of this if you'd like? showing flying and driving around the JHQ map?
Well, I really don't want to bother you with that, but if that is not a problem I would really like to see it.
I believe others will be interested too.
Well since you are interested i don't mind at all, the same goes for anyone with a question or request in these forums....we are all fans of this game....so it's never a problem or bother.

I'd be playing/doing this either way, it's great to know that when it's done I can share it with others.

I'll probebly have it done by the end of the night, maybe sooner...I'm going to film it right now.
I'll post when it's done.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Well I made a video showing some Running, Driving and Flying around the JHQ map!

The video isn't that great, I never tried fully "playing" the level while recording with a capture program...it REALLY kills the framerate! and the framerate isn't so great as it is...it almost crashed while recording LOL!

The video is about 6 min long, nothing super special about it. I wish I had more to show off in terms of actual "Snatcher" gameplay, but that stuff will be coming soon...first things first.

Here you go :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sei9P6UUHg0

Enjoy :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Post by silent_snake »

el_ash wrote:Well I made a video showing some Running, Driving and Flying around the JHQ map!

The video isn't that great, I never tried fully "playing" the level while recording with a capture program...it REALLY kills the framerate! and the framerate isn't so great as it is...it almost crashed while recording LOL!

The video is about 6 min long, nothing super special about it. I wish I had more to show off in terms of actual "Snatcher" gameplay, but that stuff will be coming soon...first things first.

Here you go :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sei9P6UUHg0

Enjoy :mrgreen:
I love it!
Looks very good, the ability to free roam makes it even more special. I really can't wait for the next update!
For me the best moment was when you were flying, I just imagined JHQ and all those buildings having textures, lighting etc. and it put one big smile on my face :mrgreen:

Sry, but I have some more questions :mrgreen:
How hard would it be to implement the Turbocycle? I understand that you have to model it first and then import in the game engine, but is that all? Can you just replace the original Crysis vehicles and it will work?
Would the game be played in first person or third or like in the video player can freely switch?

P.S. The song in the video is awesome.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:
I love it!
Looks very good, the ability to free roam makes it even more special. I really can't wait for the next update!
For me the best moment was when you were flying, I just imagined JHQ and all those buildings having textures, lighting etc. and it put one big smile on my face :mrgreen:

Sry, but I have some more questions :mrgreen:
How hard would it be to implement the Turbocycle? I understand that you have to model it first and then import in the game engine, but is that all? Can you just replace the original Crysis vehicles and it will work?
Would the game be played in first person or third or like in the video player can freely switch?

P.S. The song in the video is awesome.
Yeah The first thing I ever did was build a HUGE level in the SB2 Demo (that came with the Crysis Demo) and Fly around it in a VTOL and Imagine the MOD, and what it could be.

That was pretty much when I chose the CryEngine2 for the MOD, I scrap'd 2 years of work with Valve's Source engine and started from scratch...because the CryEngine2 blew my mind!

I've been working on my modeling skills so that I could model the "TurboCycle", I have definatly started it....but modeling cars is alot different from what I've been doing.

Implementing it as far as I know isn't that difficult?
although my vehicle will need the properties of the Crysis Jeep and VTOL (both)...and it will only have 3 wheels, so I'm not too shure If I will need to code that in to the engine yet.

I really liked MGS4's Act 3, it reminded me of "Snatcher" ALOT....and it was in the third person.
And I really liked Fallout 3's ability to switch between First and Third!

As of now I really like the idea of having both, It will more than likely stay that way...If nobody complains.

Here's a little something that isn't related to The Snatcher MOD....

I Just got MudBox, and these are screens of my FIRST attempts at character modeling (BELOW).
There are good things in store for the Snatcher MOD coming up....if this is any indication of what I'll be doing soon

(no..not zombies in Snatcher! ..You can tell I've been playing too much Fallout 3/Left 4 dead!).
Attachments
my first mudbox experiment ZOMBIE!-10.jpg
my first mudbox experiment ZOMBIE!-9.jpg
my first mudbox experiment ZOMBIE!-6.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 12-01-08*** JHQ Video

Post by silent_snake »

el_ash wrote:Here's a little something that isn't related to The Snatcher MOD....

I Just got MudBox, and these are screens of my FIRST attempts at character modeling (BELOW).
There are good things in store for the Snatcher MOD coming up....if this is any indication of what I'll be doing soon

(no..not zombies in Snatcher! ..You can tell I've been playing too much Fallout 3/Left 4 dead!).
Looks good. I'm not into 3D modeling so I haven't heard about MudBox, but I tried once ZBrush, and the little cursor in the images you posted reminded me about it. So i belive they are similiar and I remember it was actually fun using it because it was simple, intuitive and basically it was like working with a clay.

But I assume that creating the characters will be a tough job. Now when I think about it, the characters would also have to be animated and NPCs should have an elaborate AI when they are in the streets. Then the Gillian's trench coat, if that could be animated using some physics system.
Maybe that's too much work but I hope it isn't too hard and the engine has enough tools to create something like that.
I hope you consider this (if you didn't planned all already).
Keep up the good work!
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Yeah Z-brush and ModBox are pretty much the same, only I like MudBox MUCH better!

I'll definatly have my work cut out for me with the modeling and rigging of the characters, but the animation is going to be fun.
Gillian's Trenchcoat is probebly going to be the hardest thing to do besides the "Snatchers" themselves.

I'm not %100 sure on what is going to happen with the NPC's....the Crysis "Warhead" Engine is supposed to support ALOT more AI/NPC's per map, wich was the main problem with the current Engine build (and almost the ONLY problem).

But there's a member of the CryMod community who might assist me for the whole "crowd/traffic" Ai/coding thing....actually it works now, on a small scale...with a shitty framerate.

Definatly ALOT of work for me to do, I mean It's basically creating a game from scratch...well..near scratch. But I''m pretty sure it will get done/the engine can handle it.

Yeah I've pretty much planned everything out pretty well about 5-6 years ago! It's just been a matter of finding the engine to handle my plans (been through 3 or 4), having the computer to do it, and learning how to do it all :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Post by silent_snake »

That all sounds too good!
Now I can just repeat myself and say: Keep up the good work!
And keep updating about your progress.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

:-k
well I knew it was only a matter of time before something happened with my shit PC....
my fucking video card just took a shit and died (pretty sure, hope it's not worse).

I'm out of commission until next year sometime (I'm broke) ](*,)

I gotta get a new AGP card (luckily they still sell them).

I'm taking donations...LOL! \:D/

So It might be awhile before the next update..... :-"
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Post by silent_snake »

Shit man.... I'm so sorry...
I would ask you what happened but that really doesn't matter now. Shit happens... unfortunately.

And yeah AGP is way outdated. If you could get some money it would be best you buy a completely new PC with PCI-E video card.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:Shit man.... I'm so sorry...
I would ask you what happened but that really doesn't matter now. Shit happens... unfortunately.

And yeah AGP is way outdated. If you could get some money it would be best you buy a completely new PC with PCI-E video card.

I go through graphics cards once a year or so....the card took a beating!

I'll be lucky to afford the video card....LOL!

I'll be back when I get the card, but for now it looks like I'm taking a small vacation from the MOD.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Well it's NOT my graphics card, meaning my worst fears!

So to replace my Motherboard it's around $150-200+ on Ebay (and that's for a USED or Rebulit board...since the shit is so old!), A new CPU is about $100+ for the same processor i had!

Basically I'd be an idiot to spend $300+ on this old peice of crap, when it's $700 for a NEW PC fully capable of actually running Crysis/SDK and everything near perfect.

So neadless to say I don't have that kind of money to do either, so the MOD is indefinatly on hold for the next 4-6 months (or more)....wich really fucking sucks!

If anyone would like to donate money twords me building a new PC, PM me...
I figure It would take 700 people sending me a single $1 dollar each to meet this goal...LOL!
(i'm half serious about this...cause there's no way!).

Sorry for the BAD news! The MOD's not dead, but damn this is a HUGE dent/set-back for it/me!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
silent_snake

Post by silent_snake »

So the worst possible scenario has become a reality. :(
If I could donate I really would, but I don't have a credit card and I still don't make money on my own.

And to be honest It's a bit hard for me to believe that someone in the USA doesn't have the money to buy a today's standard PC.
Please don't get me wrong, in Croatia we were always taught that USA is a dream country were people live in a world of "money and milk". It's just that the perception of the majority is too generalized and obviously wrong.

Anyway, I hope you will get the needed money and continue the project. :)
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

silent_snake wrote:So the worst possible scenario has become a reality. :(
If I could donate I really would, but I don't have a credit card and I still don't make money on my own.

And to be honest It's a bit hard for me to believe that someone in the USA doesn't have the money to buy a today's standard PC.
Please don't get me wrong, in Croatia we were always taught that USA is a dream country were people live in a world of "money and milk". It's just that the perception of the majority is too generalized and obviously wrong.

Anyway, I hope you will get the needed money and continue the project. :)

I can't even afford a car! and I was lucky to afford the computer i got when i got it 5 years ago and managed to maintain it until now! shit is expensive, and jobs don't pay shit!

we are basically in a depression, Since president "W" Bush drove this country into the ground over the past 8 years!

Sorry...
but most of us here will agree america isn't the dreamland the rest of the world may think it is. But thanx to the rich idiots on tv I can see how we appear that way....thanx to the hummer driving rich bastards and paris hilton, the rest of us suffer a bad rep.

Yeah I hope to be up and running before July....Sorry to burst you're "american dream", but it's just not true for most of us.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
el_ash
Major

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 1-22-09*** MT District Concept

Post by el_ash »

Well my computer is still dead, so there hasn't been any new work done on the MOD...

But I DO have a single peice of "Concept Art" to present, I used an actual in-game shot and photoshop to make this image.
It gives me a good idea of what the level could/might look like when finished, before it's finished (wich is VERY helpfull to the development process!)
Attachments
Neo Kobe City - Concept.jpg
Actual to Concept!.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Haycob
Favorite Game: Mgs series, Probably soon to be Policenauts :D
Kojima games owned: Mgs 123 and Z.o.e games.

Re: The "SNATCHER MOD" ***UPDATED 1-22-09*** MT District Concept

Post by Haycob »

Very nice el_ash. Ill be keeping an eye or two on this project.