Snatcher Homage in Fallout 3!!! (with images)

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
Homalef

Re: Snatcher Homage in Fallout 3!!! (with images)

Post by Homalef »

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to share my experience.

So, I decided I wanted to pick up and play Fallout 3 again after having done so off and on for the past few years. For some reason, on my most recent playthrough, I really got into the game and just had a ton of fun running around and exploring as thoroughly as possible. Well, after putting the game down for a few months, I fired up my save again today to see if I could check off the last few explorable locations I have yet to visit.

After finally figuring out how to get into L'Enfant Plaza, I didn't seem to find anything notable in the area until I stumbled upon an office building I could go in. There were a few computers with old newspaper articles I read, and I figured there wasn't much else. That is, until I followed the destroyed floor which led into the basement...and that's where I saw him.

I was taken back a bit by the scene as it was slightly startling, yet familiar. There sat a decapitated corpse against the wall dressed in a suit with his severed head resting between his legs. Now, dead bodies and carnage in Fallout 3 is so common that you pretty much become desensitized to it (especially when it is caused by me). At first, I thought, "That's a strange coincidence for his head to fall there." Then I went up to him to search the body and saw that his name was Gibson and that he was carrying a house key and a piece of paper. At this point, I was thinking to myself, "Wait a minute...this can't be." Then I opened the note which reads, "Search the house!" I just started saying to myself, "No way...no way..." I knew immediately that I was supposed to take the key back to Gibson's house in Minefield and unlock the miniature house model, but the Kojima fan in me was screaming that this can't be a coincidence.

So I came here to confirm it, and sure enough. A Snatcher reference was just made in one of my favorite games of all time in the cleverest of ways. The most ridiculous part about this, is that I've spent so much time in Minefield and it never registered with me that most of the houses were named after Snatcher characters. I was even using Gibson's house to store all my stuff and sleep in before I knew you could get your own in Megaton for disarming the bomb.

I know there is a slew of people that don't like Fallout 3 for whatever crazy reasons, but to me, this just points out how good the people at Bethesda are and how great a game it really is. I mean, I literally have put well over 250 hours combined over the years (154 hrs. on my current save) into this game and found many great things and surprises and I'm still making discoveries like this. This though, is extra special. So much so, that I had to come here and write about it.

Many people in the posts above have mentioned that they would have loved to stumble across this wonderful Easter egg while playing the game and how ecstatic it would make them feel to discover it on their own. Well, I consider myself fortunate that I was lucky enough to have discovered this myself, and I'm happy to offer my personal account of this instance while the feeling is fresh so that those wondering how it would have felt to them might gain at least a little insight into the experience. I know it's kind of trivial, but I hope that the excitement I'm feeling right now somehow is conveyed through these written words.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

^It was a great discovery when I found it as well!

I was a bit sad when the semi-sequel "Fallout : New Vegas" didn't seem to feature a similar homage, although I never quite finished the game...I doubt something similar is there(?)
It was far too awesome in Fallout 3 anyways! It almost inspired me to mod Fallout 3 into more of a Snatcher theme, but I had just started the remake project on the CryEngine 2!
This thread brings back memories though...
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
amaan
Favorite Game: Metal Gear

Post by amaan »

I know there is a slew of people that don't like Fallout 3 for whatever crazy reasons, but to me, this just points out how good the people at Bethesda are and how great a game it really is. I mean, I literally have put well over 250 hours combined over the years (154 hrs. on my current save) into this game and found many great things and surprises and I'm still making discoveries like this. This though, is extra special. So much so, that I had to come here and write about it.