Question about Snatchers

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
kankokujin
Favorite Game: Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1-2(Is that Kojima?)

Question about Snatchers

Post by kankokujin »

I don't remember if this was ever brought up in the game but do new snatchers receive some copy of their victims' memory?

Also, how come the first snatchers that Gillian encountered didn't self destruct like the ones from before?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: Question about Snatchers

Post by el_ash »

kankokujin wrote:I don't remember if this was ever brought up in the game but do new snatchers receive some copy of their victims' memory?

Also, how come the first snatchers that Gillian encountered didn't self destruct like the ones from before?
I don't think they can get any of the victims memories, but If I remember correctly random received Elijah's memories because they were programed in.

Good question...
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

el_ash wrote:
kankokujin wrote:I don't remember if this was ever brought up in the game but do new snatchers receive some copy of their victims' memory?

I don't think they can get any of the victims memories, but If I remember correctly random received Elijah's memories because they were programed in.

Good question...
Yes. That made me think that Snatchers receive memories as well.

Spoiler
How else would the snatched Cunningham know how close how he was with Katrina?
Or how would that Chinese doctor still know how to do the skin surgery?
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

kankokujin wrote:
el_ash wrote:

Good question...

Spoiler
My only guess is that the Snatchers can be "programmed" in some way to learn these attributes?
Since it is very important that Snatchers fix themselves I assume "survival" aspects come pre-programmed on all snatchers?
My only guess to the personal info might be that the cheif looked it up on JORDAN or Alpha One's Network?

Very good questions to ponder.... :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Oh yea. I forgot about that. Good thing that snatchers don't exist in our world with the information age. Actually, that also is questionable. It would be cool to be a Junker anyway.

So any thoughts on the whole self destruct thing?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

kankokujin wrote:
el_ash wrote:

Good question...

Spoiler
Nanomachines.
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

What about them?
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

Snatcher spoilers below

If I had to guess, I'd say that the snatchers do a lot of research and then act and/or program themselves accordingly. Like with the case of the chief; maybe they studied him, picked up on things he knows or does, tried to get enough information so that when the snatcher that posed as the chief infiltrated Junker HQ, he could play out his part without anyone suspecting him. I mean, if Gillian hadn't uncovered the fact that the Chief was snatched, they probably wouldn't have figured it out untill it was too late. And Chin-su Oh was probably programmed to be able to operate all that machinary at Queens Hospital. That's my guess, anyway.

As for the self-destruct mechanism, I don't think it means that the Snatchers litterally blow themselves up when they get "killed", just a sort of memory-whipe.

Random seemed to be more advanced than the regular snatchers, so If you were to input data/memories to match someone else, I suppose it's possible to make them think and act in a certain way, kind of like certain Replicants in the Blade Runner universe.

And as far as nanomachines go... They pretty much explain everything in the MGS universe, why wouldn't it work in the Snatcher universe as well? :P
"Treat your cardboard box with care. Take care of the box, and it will take care of you."
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

I should've guessed that's what they meant by self destruction. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to invent an effective blaster.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

The Hero wrote:Snatcher spoilers below

As for the self-destruct mechanism, I don't think it means that the Snatchers litterally blow themselves up when they get "killed", just a sort of memory-whipe.
I'm still mixed about their self-destruction mechanism...
because it sounds like their are cases of both explosion and memory wipe (?)
but it could be both depending (?)

The first snatchers discovered (the mayor, and the one from the plane crash) self-destructed because they were not killed with a blaster (?)

But maybe a blaster kill stops them from being able to self destruct, and the only problem with retreiving the memory chip is that you have to shoot them in the head to disable them which would disable or destroy their memory chip (?)

I'm going with the nanomachines/studying of their victims for the "memory" related things though (except for the case of Random since he had memory implants of some kind).

I'd love to be able to ask Kojima himself :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

Maybe calling them memory implants is not the best way to describe them. I'm thinking that Elijah Modnar's dad simply programmed stuff in Random's *brain* that he knows happened during Elijah's childhood.

Modnar: Now let's see... Elijah scraped his knee when he was four... So let's add that. *type* *type* *type*

But I'm guessing it was all slightly modified. I mean, Elijah went on to become a scientist, and Random is a bounty hunter. Not exactly simmiliar lines of work. :P
"Treat your cardboard box with care. Take care of the box, and it will take care of you."
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

The Hero wrote:Maybe calling them memory implants is not the best way to describe them. I'm thinking that Elijah Modnar's dad simply programmed stuff in Random's *brain* that he knows happened during Elijah's childhood.

Modnar: Now let's see... Elijah scraped his knee when he was four... So let's add that. *type* *type* *type*

But I'm guessing it was all slightly modified. I mean, Elijah went on to become a scientist, and Random is a bounty hunter. Not exactly simmiliar lines of work. :P
It's funny when I think about how Random probably had no idea he was a cyborg until the very end. I mean, he's had to have gotten into an accident sometime in his life and see that he looks different under the skin. But I guess that depends on when he was built.
Kerm
Favorite Game: Besides the games Kojima make, The Elder Scrolls
Kojima games owned: Snatcher CD-ROMantic
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphical Novel
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders The 2:nd Runner
PSN: faderkaka

Post by Kerm »

kankokujin wrote: It's funny when I think about how Random probably had no idea he was a cyborg until the very end. I mean, he's had to have gotten into an accident sometime in his life and see that he looks different under the skin. But I guess that depends on when he was built.
My guess is that Random has the power of awesomeness and there for haven't been hurt enough to find out he was a snatcher.
*Reserved space for signature*
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

Kerm wrote:My guess is that Random has the power of awesomeness and there for haven't been hurt enough to find out he was a snatcher.
I'll subscribe to that theory! :mrgreen:
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Kerm wrote:
kankokujin wrote: It's funny when I think about how Random probably had no idea he was a cyborg until the very end. I mean, he's had to have gotten into an accident sometime in his life and see that he looks different under the skin. But I guess that depends on when he was built.
My guess is that Random has the power of awesomeness and there for haven't been hurt enough to find out he was a snatcher.
I wonder if he ever even thought about visiting a doctor for a check up. :mrgreen:

Love your Starzinger avatar btw.
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

kankokujin wrote:I wonder if he ever even thought about visiting a doctor for a check up. :mrgreen:
I guess he tought he was healthy enough and therefor would not need any check ups.
kankokujin wrote: Love your Starzinger avatar btw.
Thanks! I made it myself, as in stopping that certain frame from the intro and then cutting and cropping it to the correct size.
Also Starzinger is awesome. I have only watched the Swedish dub, which is not even half of the series. It's impossible to find the whole series with english subs.
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Kerm wrote:
kankokujin wrote:I wonder if he ever even thought about visiting a doctor for a check up. :mrgreen:
I guess he tought he was healthy enough and therefor would not need any check ups.
kankokujin wrote: Love your Starzinger avatar btw.
Thanks! I made it myself, as in stopping that certain frame from the intro and then cutting and cropping it to the correct size.
Also Starzinger is awesome. I have only watched the Swedish dub, which is not even half of the series. It's impossible to find the whole series with english subs.
Dude. I have it!
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

kankokujin wrote: Dude. I have it!
Pics or it didn't happen! :p
The Hero

Post by The Hero »

Hahaha, the swedish dub of Starzinger is so funny. Never seen it in the original language, though. :P

I really dig the guy who made it, I'd like to see more of his work. His colaboration with Daft Punk, Interstella 5555, was awesome. That movie has such great music and wonderful animation.

Woah, we got way off topic here! Gotta do something to get us back on track! Uhm... Err...

DAMN SNATCHERS!!

There, that's better. :mrgreen:
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Yes! Matsumoto is awesome. My bad Kerm. I thought I had them all but I just realized I only have all the ones that have been subbed so far. I'm as disappointed as you are.

To stay on topic:
Damn Snatchers!
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

To bad, but where would one find the english sub if I may ask? Interstella 5555 is an awesome move. Great music(Not my typ of music, but oh well), great plot, and exellent presentation.

Also, Damn SNATCHERS!(making us go off topic like that.)
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Kerm wrote:To bad, but where would one find the english sub if I may ask? Interstella 5555 is an awesome move. Great music(Not my typ of music, but oh well), great plot, and exellent presentation.

Also, Damn SNATCHERS!(making us go off topic like that.)
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/989.html

You should also check out Galaxy Express 999. I think it was his best work.

Damn Snatchers! LOL!
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

Awesome! Thanks!
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Kerm wrote:
Awesome! Thanks!
No problem but you forgot one thing:

Damn Snatchers! (Let's stay "on topic" LOL!)
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Post by zombie-flesheater »

This might contain some spoilers now...

It might be a bit far-fetched but Snatcher's main theme is also about isolation of individuals, mistrust, etc. So maybe nobody at Junker HQ did actually have close ties to the chief to suspect anything at all? And the chief being close to Katrina, we don't know if the REAL chief was close to her at all. So maybe it was just a disguise or diversion the snatcher himself made up.
In fact, he is pretty emotionless and even Jean's death doesn't seem to upset him too much. The only three things i ever had him get angry were hitting on Mika, hitting on Katrina and spending all my investigation money in Outer Heaven :mrgreen:
What still bothers me is how long the game actually takes in real time. When they find the chief's body, Metal says that he's been dead for about a month. So did Gillian indeed never meet the real chief at all or has it been more than a month since his arrival and it's just the game making it look like everything happens just within a couple of days (if even)?