Question about Snatchers

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
kankokujin
Favorite Game: Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1-2(Is that Kojima?)

Re: Question about Snatchers

Post by kankokujin »

zombie-flesheater wrote:This might contain some spoilers now...

It might be a bit far-fetched but Snatcher's main theme is also about isolation of individuals, mistrust, etc. So maybe nobody at Junker HQ did actually have close ties to the chief to suspect anything at all? And the chief being close to Katrina, we don't know if the REAL chief was close to her at all. So maybe it was just a disguise or diversion the snatcher himself made up.
In fact, he is pretty emotionless and even Jean's death doesn't seem to upset him too much. The only three things i ever had him get angry were hitting on Mika, hitting on Katrina and spending all my investigation money in Outer Heaven :mrgreen:
What still bothers me is how long the game actually takes in real time. When they find the chief's body, Metal says that he's been dead for about a month. So did Gillian indeed never meet the real chief at all or has it been more than a month since his arrival and it's just the game making it look like everything happens just within a couple of days (if even)?
Gillian never meeting the real chief is very likely but the latter can also be true. If Snatcher is anything like Policenauts, more time could have passed than we may think. For example, I remember Jonathon Ingram mentioning something about borrowing Ed's underwear even though we barely see him enter his house.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Post by zombie-flesheater »

kankokujin wrote:

It might be a bit far-fetched but Snatcher's main theme is also about isolation of individuals, mistrust, etc. So maybe nobody at Junker HQ did actually have close ties to the chief to suspect anything at all? And the chief being close to Katrina, we don't know if the REAL chief was close to her at all. So maybe it was just a disguise or diversion the snatcher himself made up.
In fact, he is pretty emotionless and even Jean's death doesn't seem to upset him too much. The only three things i ever had him get angry were hitting on Mika, hitting on Katrina and spending all my investigation money in Outer Heaven :mrgreen:
What still bothers me is how long the game actually takes in real time. When they find the chief's body, Metal says that he's been dead for about a month. So did Gillian indeed never meet the real chief at all or has it been more than a month since his arrival and it's just the game making it look like everything happens just within a couple of days (if even)?
Gillian never meeting the real chief is very likely but the latter can also be true. If Snatcher is anything like Policenauts, more time could have passed than we may think. For example, I remember Jonathon Ingram mentioning something about borrowing Ed's underwear even though we barely see him enter his house.
Maybe the underwear is still from "back then", before his accident? I don't remember this scene, though, so maybe i'm completely wrong...
It's just strange how in Snatcher
Spoiler:
You have the chief being a Snatcher and yet aiding you obviously to take the Snatchers down. He knows every move of Gillian (until a certain point later) and could have prevented him from doing any harm to them at all very early in his progress. Instead, he keeps giving advice etc. The only reason might be to use Gillian as a bait to get to Random and his skin, but then again, there's no point in kidnapping Jamie afterwards... Oh, well, maybe at least Kojima knows what exactly he was up to :D
kankokujin
Favorite Game: Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1-2(Is that Kojima?)

Post by kankokujin »

zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:

Maybe the underwear is still from "back then", before his accident? I don't remember this scene, though, so maybe i'm completely wrong...
It's just strange how in Snatcher
Spoiler:
You have the chief being a Snatcher and yet aiding you obviously to take the Snatchers down. He knows every move of Gillian (until a certain point later) and could have prevented him from doing any harm to them at all very early in his progress. Instead, he keeps giving advice etc. The only reason might be to use Gillian as a bait to get to Random and his skin, but then again, there's no point in kidnapping Jamie afterwards... Oh, well, maybe at least Kojima knows what exactly he was up to :D
You could say that about his other games too.
Spoiler:
Why try to kill Snake if you need him to activate Metal Gear?
Besides, if I was a Snatcher, helping Gillian would make me less suspicious. I think that's also why he got so mad those few times. I don't think Snatchers care about sacrificing one of their own for their goal.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

kankokujin wrote:

You could say that about his other games too.
Spoiler:
Why try to kill Snake if you need him to activate Metal Gear?
Besides, if I was a Snatcher, helping Gillian would make me less suspicious. I think that's also why he got so mad those few times. I don't think Snatchers care about sacrificing one of their own for their goal.
Not caring about sacrifice reminds me of a quote from the movie "Hardware - M.A.R.K. 13" (which also happens to bear some resemblance to Snatcher and Blade Runner). It is said during a chess match against a computer that machines don't know sacrifice. Sounds plausible.
Concerning the Chief's behaviour
Spoiler:
it still seems a bit risky having Gillian running around. OK, the main goal would have been to go to the Kyoto summit, but Gillian could prevent this because he wasn't stopped earlier when they had the chance, and it's not like they DIDN'T have lots of chances, too. Transmissions to HQ (and thus to the chief) were cut from the moment when it was clear that the name on the patient record was Benson. Before that, we happen to have Katrina stay at Gillian's place after the shower scene - which the chief obviously knew about, thus having had her kidnapped - AND making it possible for Gillian to find Queen's Hospital in the first place - they could have ambushed and killed him the first time he entered it already. Which makes me wonder... what the hell was Gibson doing in that old factory when he got killed off? There were no points of interest or any clues there. And even IF he was just tracking down both Snatchers, what were they doing there? Or am i just nitpicking now? :o
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

As far as the "Factory" and Gibson...

I know that the factory had a tunnel into the undergound, so maybe they lurred him into to a trap that they knew they could escape from. Maybe the cheif even tip'd them off to Gibson and helped set this trap?

I have to refresh on my Snatcher knowledge again...
There are only a few plot holes that I can't quite remember right now (damn you school!)
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

el_ash wrote:As far as the "Factory" and Gibson...

I know that the factory had a tunnel into the undergound, so maybe they lurred him into to a trap that they knew they could escape from. Maybe the cheif even tip'd them off to Gibson and helped set this trap?

I have to refresh on my Snatcher knowledge again...
There are only a few plot holes that I can't quite remember right now (damn you school!)
Which plot holes do you mean? I played the SCD version very, very often and everytime i thought i found a plothole, i managed to come up with a half-way decent explaination :mrgreen: