Katrina's age

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.

Which age do you prefer for Katrina?

I prefer her as a 14yo child
26%
No, 18 is young enough already
58%
I don't care
16%

Total votes: 19

zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Katrina's age

Post by zombie-flesheater »

Even though i'm strictly against censorship and changing content, i am actually quite happy about changing her age for the western (Sega CD) version.
After all, she looks just to handsome to be a child and (hopefully) most of us westerners wouldn't have been attracted to her IF she was indeed 14 years old and probably missed a lot of funny dialogue with Gillian.
Besides, she's been through enough already and hitting on a 14 year old girl who just lost her father seems a bit too low, even for Gillian's standards :mrgreen:
Also, i find it more credible for her character to stay on her own after both of her parents are dead and remain in her father's house etc. I don't know if there's such a thing like youth care or whatever it's called in Japan, but it seems a bit unlikely that the authorities would let a (probably traumatized) 14yo girl just live by herself, even if it is the future.
kankokujin
Favorite Game: Xenogears
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Policenauts
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders 1-2(Is that Kojima?)

Re: Katrina's age

Post by kankokujin »

zombie-flesheater wrote:Even though i'm strictly against censorship and changing content, i am actually quite happy about changing her age for the western (Sega CD) version.
After all, she looks just to handsome to be a child and (hopefully) most of us westerners wouldn't have been attracted to her IF she was indeed 14 years old and probably missed a lot of funny dialogue with Gillian.
Besides, she's been through enough already and hitting on a 14 year old girl who just lost her father seems a bit too low, even for Gillian's standards :mrgreen:
Also, i find it more credible for her character to stay on her own after both of her parents are dead and remain in her father's house etc. I don't know if there's such a thing like youth care or whatever it's called in Japan, but it seems a bit unlikely that the authorities would let a (probably traumatized) 14yo girl just live by herself, even if it is the future.
Yea. Her being 18 made more sense to me. I'm used to those kind of jokes though. For example, you see that kind of stuff in anime and manga quite often. It's kind of funny when I think about how Gillian does this despite being a part of law enforcement. Perhaps it's because it's the future although it would be better if such a thing doesn't come true. What bugs me is that they also cut down on the violence didn't they?
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

kankokujin wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:Even though i'm strictly against censorship and changing content, i am actually quite happy about changing her age for the western (Sega CD) version.
Yea. Her being 18 made more sense to me. I'm used to those kind of jokes though. For example, you see that kind of stuff in anime and manga quite often. It's kind of funny when I think about how Gillian does this despite being a part of law enforcement. Perhaps it's because it's the future although it would be better if such a thing doesn't come true. What bugs me is that they also cut down on the violence didn't they?
Well, the Saturn and PSX versions were really extremely censored violence-wise.

I only know about the following censorship (besides Katrina's age) in the Sega CD Version:
- No more "snatch -> underwear" or "look -> boobs" for example... OK, might have been good for a few laughs, but i think Gillian is already stalking Mika more than enough anyways ;D
- The breast of one dead female Snatcher is covered by cloth. Meh, violence and gore might be a nice combination but at the same time it's hardly anything to get excited about. Besides, i don't think anybody would feel too attracted to a dead cyborg's breast anyways.
- You could see Katrina's breast during the shower scene, in the SCD version, Gillian's back of his head is covering exactly this segment of her body. I can imagine that this scene might have been especially offensive for western audiences if they had kept her age AND shown her nude breast. I actually find it even more funny to have Gillian's head right in front of this part of her body, like we know he's taking a very close look.
- The only definite violence censorship of the SCD version is
Spoiler:
Alice
's bowels no longer twitching. Not too much to worry about, i think, as it tends to wear down seeing the same animation over and over again, actually. Maybe one, two twitches, yeah, that'll do it...

So besides the twitching bowels, the SCD version is pretty much unharmed violence-wise. It also includes the missing 3rd act which was missing in the first two releases. So i'm pretty happy with the SCD version, despite the removed content. It could have been far worse, like the western version of Yakuza 3, for example.

The PSX and Saturn versions were censored in about every gore scene, so they're pretty worthless indeed. What i don't know because of the language barrier is, if they kept Katrina's original age intact here. Maybe somebody else here can shed some light on this?
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:

I only know about the following censorship (besides Katrina's age) in the Sega CD Version:
- No more "snatch -> underwear" or "look -> boobs" for example... OK, might have been good for a few laughs, but i think Gillian is already stalking Mika more than enough anyways ;D
- The breast of one dead female Snatcher is covered by cloth. Meh, violence and gore might be a nice combination but at the same time it's hardly anything to get excited about. Besides, i don't think anybody would feel too attracted to a dead cyborg's breast anyways.
- You could see Katrina's breast during the shower scene, in the SCD version, Gillian's back of his head is covering exactly this segment of her body. I can imagine that this scene might have been especially offensive for western audiences if they had kept her age AND shown her nude breast. I actually find it even more funny to have Gillian's head right in front of this part of her body, like we know he's taking a very close look.
Spoiler:
Alice
's bowels no longer twitching. Not too much to worry about, i think, as it tends to wear down seeing the same animation over and over again, actually. Maybe one, two twitches, yeah, that'll do it...

So besides the twitching bowels, the SCD version is pretty much unharmed violence-wise. It also includes the missing 3rd act which was missing in the first two releases. So i'm pretty happy with the SCD version, despite the removed content. It could have been far worse, like the western version of Yakuza 3, for example.

The PSX and Saturn versions were censored in about every gore scene, so they're pretty worthless indeed. What i don't know because of the language barrier is, if they kept Katrina's original age intact here. Maybe somebody else here can shed some light on this?
That's weird. The other versions never got an official US release right? Who were they censoring them from?

Going back to the thing about Katrina, this topic reminds me of Ed's daughter (forgot her name) from Policenauts. One one hand, Katrina seems so mature for her age but Ed's daughter seems so much less mature for a college student. Perhaps Ed's just overprotective of her. I'm glad she's not too young though. I thought she was the hottest female character in the game.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

kankokujin wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:

Spoiler:
Alice

That's weird. The other versions never got an official US release right? Who were they censoring them from?

Going back to the thing about Katrina, this topic reminds me of Ed's daughter (forgot her name) from Policenauts. One one hand, Katrina seems so mature for her age but Ed's daughter seems so much less mature for a college student. Perhaps Ed's just overprotective of her. I'm glad she's not too young though. I thought she was the hottest female character in the game.
Maybe it had something to do with CERO (Japanese rating system)? They made it so heads couldn't explode anymore in Resident Evil: Code Veronica, to they wouldn't get any problems with the new rating board. The last two releases of Snatcher (PSX and Saturn, both in 1996) seem to fall into the same time period maybe? Or was Code Veronica later and just for PS2 already?
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:

Spoiler:
Alice

Maybe it had something to do with CERO (Japanese rating system)? They made it so heads couldn't explode anymore in Resident Evil: Code Veronica, to they wouldn't get any problems with the new rating board. The last two releases of Snatcher (PSX and Saturn, both in 1996) seem to fall into the same time period maybe? Or was Code Veronica later and just for PS2 already?
Wow. The thing you said about RE was boggling my mind for such a long time. I knew they wussed out for good reason. How come they didn't say anything about in RE:0, RE4, and RE5?
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

kankokujin wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote:
kankokujin wrote:

Spoiler:
Alice

Wow. The thing you said about RE was boggling my mind for such a long time. I knew they wussed out for good reason. How come they didn't say anything about in RE:0, RE4, and RE5?
OK, i was probably wrong about Snatcher - RE:CV is from 2000 :(
I don't know about RE:0 (did it even have exploding heads?), only played it once (contrary to the others) since it's my least favourite of the series. At least i remember it as the least violent part of the series, too, and it even got only a 16+ certificate in Germany, where all other parts got an adult rating or even banned.
RE4 was indeed cut down on violence in Japan, namely the wobbling of Ashley's breasts (no, seriously!) and the headshot animations, where the head isn't removed anymore. This goes also for the chainsaw guy cutting off Leon's head:
http://www.schnittberichte.com/schnittb ... ID=5984061
As for part 5, the chainsaw death-animation doesn't show the removal of the head anymore in any version worldwide, but i think the headshots themselves are at least intact this time in the Japanese version.

On another note, since they have CERO in Japan, there is quite a lot of censorship happening over there. I know for example of Uncharted, which, when played on a Japanese PS3, won't show any blood anymore.

It would be funny to know how Snatcher would look like by today's CERO standards compared to the original versions. :mrgreen:
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

You know I've seen Katrinas nipples through her towel in that shower scene, but I've never seen her breasts in any version I've ever played.
I've played the Sega CD, PCE and Sega Saturn versions through to the end and not seen that if they are supposed to be fully shown or exposed.

BTW: I think its much better Katrina got an age change to 18... :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

el_ash wrote:You know I've seen Katrinas nipples through her towel in that shower scene, but I've never seen her breasts in any version I've ever played.
I've played the Sega CD, PCE and Sega Saturn versions through to the end and not seen that if they are supposed to be fully shown or exposed.

BTW: I think its much better Katrina got an age change to 18... :mrgreen:
I've never played the PCE Version and the Saturn version is mutilated anyways. But i did happen to play the MSX version, even though i can't get past the 1st shooting scene there on my PSP...
Anyways, i think i've seen a video or screenshot of her bare breasts, probably the MSX version and it is mentioned quite a lot that Gillian's face is covering her breasts.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

You think? I'd like to lay this rumor to rest with a screenshot of it...So let me know which version.
Because I've played every version of Snatcher and I'm pretty shure I haven't ever fully seen Katrina's boobs.

BTW : I think the Saturn/PSX versions did a better job at the Shower Scene as far as showing the scene better with the added graphics (compared to the PCE/SCD etc.)
Attachments
gilliansPCE1(spotted)1.jpg
gilliansPCE1(spotted)1.jpg (100.85 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
Gillian's Bathroom 1.jpg
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

zombie-flesheater wrote: Anyways, i think i've seen a video or screenshot of her bare breasts, probably the MSX version and it is mentioned quite a lot that Gillian's face is covering her breasts.
You're lying!

PC Engine Version

MSX2 Version

All you see is her flat 14 year old ass.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote: Anyways, i think i've seen a video or screenshot of her bare breasts, probably the MSX version and it is mentioned quite a lot that Gillian's face is covering her breasts.
You're lying!

PC Engine Version

MSX2 Version

This should be a Snatcher Myth laid to rest :mrgreen:
The only tit(s) you really see in Snatcher is Lisa's.

Now if I only had a translated version of the "Porn Tape" scene from the PCE...I've always wondered what the scene is about.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

Charlie Johnson wrote:
You're lying!

PC Engine Version

MSX2 Version

Well, you DO see more than in the Sega CD version, though. The 1st movement of her does show a little bit of her breasts and Gillian's head is blocking the view on it as well as on her arse.
But you're right, i did remember it to be more explicit indeed. :yuck:
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

zombie-flesheater wrote: But you're right, i did remember it to be more explicit indeed. :yuck:
No you didn't, you knew exactly that all you ever saw was her ass and half a tit.

You just lied, out of pure malevolence.

You should be ashamed, to mislead poor, guillable el_ash like that.>8-[
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

This is by far the creepiest poll I've ever seen on Snatcher.
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
zombie-flesheater wrote: But you're right, i did remember it to be more explicit indeed. :yuck:
No you didn't, you knew exactly that all you ever saw was her ass and half a tit.

You just lied, out of pure malevolence.

You should be ashamed, to mislead poor, guillable el_ash like that.>8-[
LOL!

I was starting to think I missed something in my Snatcher ventures thanx to be slammed with schoolwork/life lately....
damn him :mrgreen:
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
kankokujin
Policenauts
Snatcher

Post by kankokujin »

Speaking of which. What's with Paz from Peace Walker? They didn't even change the age this time.