Just picked up the game been wanting to play for ages...

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
NeoKobecitizen
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater & Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots
Policenauts (PS1)
Snatcher (Mega CD)
Boktai
Bokta 2: Solar Boy Django
PSN: Retrohead80
Xbox Live: Missingnin80

Just picked up the game been wanting to play for ages...

Post by NeoKobecitizen »

Hey everyone. I just signed up today as i`ve been checking this place out for a while now and i`m really impressed with the site. I`ve been a fan of Metal Gear since my bro bought me the original on the nes for my birthday when I was 8. I later got into ZOE and Boktai but i`m embarrassed to say that i have never once played Snatcher....I just picked up a copy on Ebay a few weeks ago and just got my hands on a Sega Mega CD to attach to my megadrive last week so i`m preparing to play it for the first time. Man i`m excited...I love this style of adventure game. The art looks amazing and the story looks great too and best of all it was created by Kojima himself and I think his imagination is incredible. Blade Runner is also one of my favourite films and people tell me it`s a lot like that in terms of themes and style so i`m looking forward to it.
I am so pleased to own a copy of the game(i`m british but i picked up the NTSC Sega CD version as it was cheaper and i found someone willing to mod a megadrive and mega cd for multi region online)
Anyone else just played it recently or preparing to play it for the first time?
Last edited by NeoKobecitizen on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Re: Just picked up the game been wanting to play for ages...

Post by zombie-flesheater »

NeoKobecitizen wrote:Hey everyone. I just signed up today as i`ve been checking this place out for a while now and i`m really impressed with the site. I`ve been a fan of Metal Gear since my bro bought me the original on the nes for my birthday when I was 8. I later got into ZOE and Boktai but i`m embarrassed to say that i have never once played Snatcher....I just picked up a copy on Ebay a few weeks ago and just got my hands on a Sega Mega CD to attach to my megadrive last week so i`m preparing to play it for the first time. Man i`m excited...I love those style of the game the art looks amazing and the story looks great too and best of all it was created by Kojima himself and I think his imagination is incredible. Blade Runner is also one of my favourite films and people tell me it`s a lot like that in terms of themes and style so i`m looking forward to it.
I am so pleased to own a copy of the game(i`m british but i picked up the NTSC Sega CD version as it was cheaper and i found someone willing to mod a megadrive and mega cd for multi region online)
Anyone else just played it recently or preparing to play it for the first time?
Hello and welcome!
I've been through Snatcher lots of times, but with all good things, the first time around is easily the best one. If i'm to give some advice, you best see that you have enough spare time on your hands (and i mean several hours per day until you're through), since it's a game you've got to get into and can't just drop in for a couple of minutes each day or so. Besides, you'd better stay clear of ANYTHING connected to Snatcher for the time being, especially the internet. If you've managed to avoid being spoiled so far, it'd be a shame to accidentially read something you shouldn't have read.

Spoiler:
clicking on those things :mrgreen:
I had my problems getting into Blade Runner at first. I think i saw it somewhen before i played Snatcher and just fell asleep, since i was expecting a more action-driven film. Shame on me, i didn't even pay attention to the plot or visuals too much back then either. Then i played Snatcher and when the Blade Runner game was released, i bought it, since it thought it would be like Snatcher. Well, in a way, it was, and i liked it so much that i gave the movie another try. Finally, it did have an impact on me and i've been more or less hoarding each release. Didn't even mind to buy that big box thing on DVD and later on got the BD, too. So if you like Blade Runner, it might probably be the other way around for you and you should certainly like Snatcher, too.
NeoKobecitizen
Policenauts (PS1)
Snatcher (Mega CD)
Boktai

Post by NeoKobecitizen »

Yeah because i already love Blade Runner and had heard Snatcher was similar and that it was made by Kojima (Quite a few years ago now) I thought i would eventually have to get round to checking it out. I`ve avoided spoilers for years so far and I watched a snatcher retrospective video a while ago on Youtube and it said something along the lines of "In the third act Gillian...." I hit PAUSE quicker than I realised i was actually doing it :)
Oh i`ll be setting aside quite a bit of time per night to get stuck into it for definite. I`ve never actually played the Blade Runner PC game either so i`m going to have to pick that up sometime as well....in fact there`s way too many games both old and new that I`d like to check out and i have nowhere near enough cash to pick them all up....sometimes i think i never will...movies too.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Welcome!

I hope you enjoyed Snatcher!
see ya around in the forums...
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
NeoKobecitizen
Policenauts (PS1)
Snatcher (Mega CD)
Boktai

Post by NeoKobecitizen »

Thanks man...I`m sure i will. Will pop back on to give my verdict once i`ve completed it

Edit: Been playing for a few days now for about an hour at a time really enjoying it. I was absolutely mesmerised by the intro couldn`t help thinking wow this came out in the mid 90`s.....madness! most games released ten years later didn`t have voice acting half as good as this! The story is really, really intriguing and i love the way you can look up tons of information on Jordan...really adds to the atmosphere & plot.
NeoKobecitizen
Policenauts (PS1)
Snatcher (Mega CD)
Boktai

Post by NeoKobecitizen »

Well i completed it this morning....hadn`t had much time for gaming over the past fortnight so it took a while to finish it but man I REALLY enjoyed it despite the limited gameplay. I loved the action segments...got a Justifier with it when I bought it on Ebay so i used it all the way through the game. I had heard a lot of people saying the later lightgun segments were quite hard with the gun but i got through em no problem....playing on all those Namco light gun games must have served me well!
The story is great! I know a lot of people had a problem with the ending but i personally really liked it. I`m still stunned that a game released so long ago had such decent voice acting! Some games released only a couple of years ago don`t have acting up to this standard! I will definitely return to this game in the future. Also haven`t played Policenauts and I bought an official japanese PS1 release a while back and the translation patch so i will give that a go soon too.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Post by zombie-flesheater »

NeoKobecitizen wrote:Well i completed it this morning....hadn`t had much time for gaming over the past fortnight so it took a while to finish it but man I REALLY enjoyed it despite the limited gameplay. I loved the action segments...got a Justifier with it when I bought it on Ebay so i used it all the way through the game. I had heard a lot of people saying the later lightgun segments were quite hard with the gun but i got through em no problem....playing on all those Namco light gun games must have served me well!
The story is great! I know a lot of people had a problem with the ending but i personally really liked it. I`m still stunned that a game released so long ago had such decent voice acting! Some games released only a couple of years ago don`t have acting up to this standard! I will definitely return to this game in the future. Also haven`t played Policenauts and I bought an official japanese PS1 release a while back and the translation patch so i will give that a go soon too.
Glad you liked it! However, i would have been surprised if you would not have liked it, actually ;)
The problem with the action scenes (especially the last ones) is that they are more or less random. Meaning the insectors in the first sequence of the finale (i think the Snatchers and that "surprise" never were too much of a challenge for anybody anyways) come in random intervals and places so it happens that they come one after another or they may come all at once, never even giving you a chance to take all those on screen out without getting hurt.
I used to play the segments before with "1 shot, 1 kill", which worked pretty well, but the last segment more or less forces you to hammer on the fire button instantly and just change directions as they come. Lucky as i was back then, i had the "Arcade Power Stick":

You could turn on "auto fire" and just hold down the button. Took me a couple of tries nevertheless, though, and i can't begin to tell you how angry i got when
Spoiler:
i fired that last, final shot in the 3rd sequence and had to do the whole thing over again. At least i'm pretty sure that a majority of players probably pulled the trigger there, too.
I think i even read somewhere that the shootouts depend on how good you were throughout the game, or especially at the shooting range. So if you always scored all the targets on different difficulty modes (which i actually always did), the final shootout would get harder. Don't know if it's really true or just an urban legend like the "purpose" of the "Konami code", though.

As the ending has severely been attacked by some people, i absolutely loved it. Actually, it's one of my favourite endings ever, and not only did i think that it was great that (almost) everything was solved and abou ... to Gillian but also the fact that it lasted about 45 minutes (i DO count the short part when you can actually "play" again to the ending already) - i doubt it can get anymore rewarding than that!
However, in general i like long intros, cutscenes and / or especially ending sequences, so i'd probably be the last person to count this as a flaw for Snatcher.
NeoKobecitizen
Policenauts (PS1)
Snatcher (Mega CD)
Boktai

Post by NeoKobecitizen »

Yeah i thought it was a very satisfying finale indeed and I like the way it leaves a few things open. Interesting that the finale's shootouts may change difficulty depending on how well you did.
Onto policenauts after i finish MGS3 again....I am playing other games too I'm not just on a Kojima kick. MGS3 is my fave so far but i only recently got a PS3 so i thought i'd play through all the old ones to prepare myself for Guns of the <B>Patriots</B>.
Back to snatcher: Soooo glad i picked it up on Ebay. It cost around £80 with the justifier and it's in really immaculate condition...some people would consider it crazy money but considering i've seen em going for £200+ and I knew i would really love it from what i'd read in reviews and the fact i love the adventure genre I think it was money well spent. Haven't been as immersed in a story in a game in quite a while....