Jean and his actions - what's the point? (SPOILERS!)

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
zombie-flesheater
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher
Metal Gear Solid 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: zombieflesh777

Jean and his actions - what's the point? (SPOILERS!)

Post by zombie-flesheater »

1)

Yeah, i know about the whale / buffalo thing, but that's not the point. Let's just pretend it's whatever meat you prefer whenever i type buffalo now.
As far as i remember Jean's whereabouts could be tracked due to the buffalo in his stomach and that's how you find out about Outer Heaven. Isabella recognizes him as the man who got sick when he ate buffalo. And Gillian at one point said that Jean had an ulcer and that "maybe Jean had a reason he HAD to eat buffalo."

Well, he obviously had an ulcer and did eat buffalo, but why did he HAVE TO actually? Was this ever explained and did i just miss the explanation by chance? Couldn't he just have been there and not eating, or eating something else (less unhealthy) instead?

The only thing i could think of is his habit of leaving behind clues for whoever would follow his work, but then again, that seems a bit far-fetched. I mean, clever as he was, he surely could have thought of something better than causing an allergic reaction, spitting blood all over the place and hoping for somebody to recognize him afterwards and point his successor into the right direction for the person he was observing. Like having a matchbox taxi car in his pocket along with the queen chess piece. Or he could have left a note in JORDAN / GAUDI or whatever.

2)

The abandoned factory... How did he end up there in the first place and what for? It was never explained why he went there (except for getting killed and Gillian having to pick up the trail, of course) and what he wanted to do there. It wasn't as if it was a specific place for Snatchers where they had anything going on etc.
Also, his words "I've cornered a probable male Snatcher. I'm at the abandoned factory in the Ina District. Request immediate backup." might suggest that he followed Freddy there in the first place, but what was HE doing there then? I know that Ina District suggests that it's near the River AND that it had an underground entrance but it just makes no sense to me why anybody (Freddy AND Jean) would be there in the first place.
OK, so maybe Freddy did *something else* and just wanted to get back to base, but then he could just have disappeared without killing Jean (and leaving clues for Gillian to track him down), or maybe have the insectors kill him instead like they tried with Gillian.

I've played Snatcher numerous times, but never have i been able to figure out those two, apart from Jean's obviously also otherwise strange but somewhat logical behaviour. Any guesses or ideas, or something i might have missed?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: Jean and his actions - what's the point? (SPOILERS!)

Post by el_ash »

Plot holes I've pondered as well...

1. My guess is Jean knew someone at JHQ was a Snatcher if he knew about Queens, so then its safe to say the Snatchers knew everything about the JUNKERS.
So Jean was tracking Freddy and followed him to Outer Heaven, and then Freddy caught onto Jean tailing him, so to act out of character and not like himself Jean tried to trick Freddy from thinking it was him by eating the Buffalo?
Thus avoiding a showdown at Outer Heaven and blowing his cover?

Snatchers are robots so you have to figure if they know you can't eat buffalo but love pizza then they are looking for someone eating pizza and not buffalo...i guess?

2. My guess for the Factory showdown was that Jean followed Lisa And Freddy to that location after tailing them in Outer Heaven.
But I also think that Lisa and Freddy knew Jean was tailing them so they lead him to the far out of the way factory to kill him, and of course because it was a location that contained an underground tunnel for them to use to move about, so it made a great escape plan for after they blow up the place.

Why did they kill Jean and blow the place up and use Insectors?
My guess is the cheif is in on everything (he's a Snatcher), so as soon as he gets word that Jean is chasing his fellow Snatchers he has them kill Jean and he sends Gillian to the factory to be killed as well (which explains why they went from killing to explosives all of the sudden). The insectors are like their little "scouts" so they were left behind to make sure that Gillian was killed in the blast, or to kill him if he wasn't....luckily for Gillian he kills all of the Insectors and escapes the explosion.

BTW: its the "M" district the factory is in and not "Ina". The Ina River is where the Cathedral is located (New Kremlin).

Hopefully this makes some sense?
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snatcher (and Policenauts) aren't short of plot holes. I could list a ton. I admire the games for their approaches, among other aspects, but the stories are flawed, Snatcher more so than Policenauts. And let's not get into the current state of Metal Gear's canon.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

Marc wrote:Snatcher (and Policenauts) aren't short of plot holes. I could list a ton. I admire the games for their approaches, among other aspects, but the stories are flawed, Snatcher more so than Policenauts. And let's not get into the current state of Metal Gear's canon.
Very true :mrgreen:

I think Snatcher has the plot holes due to the fact that Kojima had to cut a 6 act story down to 2 and a half acts mainly.
Everything has its flaws and I definately love Kojima's work flaws and all, but I might try to fill some of them with my re-make.
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack