PC88 PC-8801 KONAMI KONAMI SNATCHER COMPLETE MML COLLECTION for MUCOM88

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
moldov31337

PC88 PC-8801 KONAMI KONAMI SNATCHER COMPLETE MML COLLECTION for MUCOM88

Post by moldov31337 »

Guys,

are you aware about such book?

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/au ... 1068056697

It recently appeared on the auctions and I bought it. I found very few information about it here:

https://x6uso.booth.pm/items/1943100

Translation says following:
"SNATCHER", which has been highly evaluated not only for the game itself but also for its sound, was the first "director" work of the now world-famous Director Kojima when he was affiliated with KONAMI.

This book is a so-called "MML book" that focuses only on the sound of "PC-8801 version SNATCHER", analyzes the original sound driver, and transplants the data to "MML for MUCOM88".

The main contents are as follows.

・Explanation of original "SNATCHER" sound driver commands
・Detailed explanation of SSG program drums
・More than 40 songs in MML list for MUCOM88
・All OPN tone data (text version, voice.dat dump list for MUC)
・Dump list of archived files of all MUC+α of my work

A must-have book for KONAMI sound fans and MUCOM88 enthusiasts.

134 pages (including Tables 1-4)

*It was planned to be distributed at C98, but it was not distributed due to the cancellation of the event.

*The MUC data file for the CD version of THEME OF ENDING can be downloaded.
SegaSky
Kojima games owned: SNATCHER
Policenauts
Metal Gear 1-2
Metal Gear Solid 1-V
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Rising
Death Stranding
PSN: SegataSkyshiro
Xbox Live: SegaSky

Re: PC88 PC-8801 KONAMI KONAMI SNATCHER COMPLETE MML COLLECTION for MUCOM88

Post by SegaSky »

I've never seen this before! So is it basically like a breakdown of the soundtrack from a hardware perspective?
Hunka Junka
Favorite Game: Earthbound
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD)
Policenauts (PlayStation)
Metal Gear (NES)

Re: PC88 PC-8801 KONAMI KONAMI SNATCHER COMPLETE MML COLLECTION for MUCOM88

Post by Hunka Junka »

That's gotta be one of the most esoteric videogame-related publications I've ever seen. :lol: Even the synopsis takes for granted that the reader would know what an MML and an SSG, an OPN, and an MUC (not to mention a MUC+α) all are, but it does go out of its way to explain what Snatcher is and who Hideo Kojima is since of course they might not be well known among "MUCOM88 enthusiasts," lol!

Its existence makes more sense after reading it was going to be handed out at an event, because I can't imagine there was a large enough paying audience to make the time and investment into making the 134-page book worth it. :-k

(It probably sounds like I'm bashing it. I swear I'm not, it just strikes me as an exceptionally specific subject for a full-length book - not even, like, a magazine or something - that I find it amusing).

If you're around, moldov31337, could you share what the inside of the book is like? Is there much in the way of pictures or illustrations?