Snatcher remake project (maybe)

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
hairy_rhombus

Snatcher remake project (maybe)

Post by hairy_rhombus »

So, here's something I did:
https://rapidshare.com/files/3910407468 ... -win32.zip
(I can provide mac/linux builds as well if someone wants)

It's just a proof of concept and only has the first two rooms from the game. But I think it "proves the concept". I'm using renpy which makes the whole thing pretty easy even for a non-programmer like me.

Here's a screenshot:

Why do this?
- to make snatcher playable more easily on modern devices (renpy works on linux, mac, windows, and even android)
- to use the bests parts of each different version of snatcher (censorship, rude dialogue, etc)
- to add/improve puzzles (I think we can all admit Snatcher is perhaps a bit too easy...)
- to expand and add detail (maybe make Act 3 less of a movie and more playable, add more stuff to do, girls to be rude to :mrgreen: , etc)

How would it be done?
Technically it's pretty easy, it would just take a little time and patience. All the game transcripts can be found here in junkerhq including (some? most?) of the non-sega-cd dialogue, so that saves a lot of time.

What I put together here (in a week, and I never used renpy before) already lays out all the basic framework (after all, in terms of game mechanics, it's a very simple game). So building from here would be pretty smooth sailing for the most part, I think.
The face recognition, shooting scenes, etc would require a little more programming skill but I don't imagine they'd be very difficult.

I'm not very optimistic about me having the free time to work on this, which is why I'm posting it here. The code is all included, so you just have to open it up in renpy. Non-programmers shouldn't be afraid to take a look, because if you just figure out a few basic things, like understand variables and if/else type stuff, you can already do 90% of the work. Take a look at the file script.rpy in wordpad and you'll see it's pretty straightforward.

Note that of course this is almost certainly illegal. Someone out there owns the copyright to snatcher and it isn't me. Then again there are thousands of remakes of old games out there and it seems the game industry generally tolerates, sometimes even encourages (free advertising, keeping the brand alive, keep the fans happy, etc), this kind of activity. But, sadly, plenty of these kinds of projects do also get shut down, so, well, it's just something to keep in mind if anyone is seriously going to invest days and weeks of their life on a project like this.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: Snatcher remake project (maybe)

Post by el_ash »

AWESOME work so far man! :mrgreen:

I honestly had this idea a few years ago and then I realized how much work it would actually involve and eventually decided against it :-k

Trust me...once you dive in deep enough into Snatcher you'l come to realize that its actually more complex than you imagined lol! :-"

If you decide to continue with this prject though I wish you or anyone who attempts to finish this luck!!!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Policenauts
Kojima games owned: (PCE) Snatcher Pilot Disk
(PCE) Snatcher CD-ROMantic
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Policenauts Private Collection
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid (Digital, PSN)
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
(GBC) Metal Gear Solid (cartridge-only)
(PS2) Zone of the Enders
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
(PS2) The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
(PS2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
(GBA) boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
(NGC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PSP) Metal Gear AC!D (UMD-only)
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (Digital, PSN)
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Database
(iOS) Metal Gear Solid: Touch
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition
(360) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(3DS) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
(PSV) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Collection
(360) Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Edition (JP, Digital, PSN)
(PS3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (NA & JP)
(Win) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (NA & JP)
(360) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Digital, Xbox Live)
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I'd be happy to devote my free time to this project.
But this has to be as professional as possible, and It has to be done without offending the JUNKER HQ administrator's copyright policy.
If it's alright with you, I could serve as Director, and work in the Sound Department. Scripting could also be handled by myself and possibly another person that I'll put in charge of this unit. Interestingly enough, I read that the original PC-8801 / MSX2 versions of Snatcher had their own script language developed for that game alone.
I'm not a programmer, so someone else will have to work in this field.
If this project is to follow through, let's try to make it on par in quality with one of the actual versions of Snatcher.
If you have anything to say let me know.
I'll type up some Documents on the development outline this week. (didn't happen)

Oh, and could ya' at least give me a MegaUpload link?
I can't download from Rapidshare anymore.
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
hairy_rhombus

Post by hairy_rhombus »

Here's a megaupload link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WNWX0CZD

I'm sure el_ash is right that it's more work than I think, that's almost always the case :)
That's partly why I didn't delve into this more yet. But I still think it's more a case of straightforward rather tedious work more than it being extremely complex or difficult.

Renpy does do all the heavy lifting so unless one starts getting over-ambitious or perfectionist, it doesn't require a lot of programming skill. I found a code example on the renpy forums for how a Snatcherish shooting scene could be made, and it was actually surprisingly simple.

Personally if I tackled this I'd want to get the basic script and locations all done before worrying too much about polish, perfecting the sound and graphics etc. In my past similar projects I always get too stuck in details right off the bat and the whole thing becomes overwhelming.

If I manage to steal some free time I'll try to finish the HQ. Then I'll have a better idea of the work involved.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

Thanks for the link, man.

Yeah, I never imagined that Snatcher would be all that difficult to program for, aside from a couple puzzles like the one in the Queen Hospital duct that leads to the Tube Liner (You know, that maze in PS1/Saturn version). My greatest weakness is my over-ambition for things like this. Diligence and a good pace will always pay off. At least we don't have to work with a big deadline like the PC-8801/MSX2 Snatcher.

I guess I kind of jumped the gun to talk about aesthetic design, because I'm more inclined to work in that field. You're right, the pase program definitely needs to be laid down first, It's the most important obviously.

As for when I was talking about the other positions that would be filled by someone else, I was talking about getting together a Development Team so it's not just you and I working on this. It'd seem a bit more professional too.
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
Kerm
Favorite Game: Besides the games Kojima make, The Elder Scrolls
Kojima games owned: Snatcher CD-ROMantic
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater (Signed)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphical Novel
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Zone of The Enders
Zone of The Enders The 2:nd Runner
PSN: faderkaka

Post by Kerm »

If I had the time I would definatley be onboard, but at the moment I got tons of school-work. Maybe in 6-8 months.

Now personally, being a programmer, I would restart the whole thing and code it properly in C or C++.
*Reserved space for signature*
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Kerm wrote:If I had the time I would definable be onboard, but at the moment I got tons of school-work. Maybe in 6-8 months.

Now personally, being a programmer, I would restart the whole thing and code it properly in C or C++.
+1

Would make it truly portable and future proof, with more control. And take more time as well =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
hairy_rhombus

Post by hairy_rhombus »

Bah, assembly is the way to go!

But seriously, if I was going to rewrite it from scratch (which I wouldn't, for various reasons) I'd use a high-level, multi-platform, easy-as-pie scripting language like python (perhaps using something like pygame). It just makes it all so much easier. It's not like performance has any relevance in this kind of game, and that's about the only down-side I can think of.
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Post by el_ash »

hairy_rhombus wrote: I'm sure el_ash is right that it's more work than I think, that's almost always the case :)
That's partly why I didn't delve into this more yet. But I still think it's more a case of straightforward rather tedious work more than it being extremely complex or difficult.

If I manage to steal some free time I'll try to finish the HQ. Then I'll have a better idea of the work involved.
I wouldn't bullshit ya on this subject hehehehe! O:)
I've been documenting/arranging the script from Snatcher etc. for a while now LOL! :mrgreen:

Just arranging the script based off the "Text Dumps" has taken me over 150+ hours of "tedius" work (almost done).
Then you need to make a "Design Document" to serve as a "Layout" to follow...regardless of if you are coding or not.
I'd use a "Tree/Chart" design to sort it all out so you can properly recreate the way the game functions or conversations flow etc.

IMHO to use the intro portion of JHQ (before the factory) as a test is very misleading compared to the entire games workload (its too linear).
The game basically becomes much more non-linear and complex (until Act 3 where its back to linear/easy).

I attached an image of a random "Dialog Tree" example of the "Tree/Chart" process you'l need to do a TON of...

Anyways, I hope this info has helped you understand the task at hand a little better?
Attachments
psychotron-demo.gif
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

Artemio wrote: +1

Would make it truly portable and future proof, with more control. And take more time as well =P
Yup, it would definatley be awesome. This would also make some features I tought up today easier to implement too. I'll list them below:

-Mouse support. Playing Snatcher like Policenauts would be awesome. The menu system in Snatcher is rather clunky.
-Gamepad support.
-Lightgun support.
-Diffrent graphics settings. Snatcher in HD anyone? This would mean redrawing all graphics in higher resolution though.
-Dual Audio.

Of course one should be able to play it in SD, and with clunky menus. Just like the SegaCD version. The way I see it, just remaking it for PC isn't enough. I'd say we should take it to the next level, an ultimate version of the game.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

Okay, I'll show you what I think about those suggestions.
1. Mouse support sounds like a good idea. The PlayStation version had Mouse support, but you could only use it for selecting options in the normally accessible menu, and the obvious shooting scenes. This makes me think that this was originally supposed to be used like Policenauts, but they must have realized it would take too long and they had to release it along with Policenauts, so it was dropped. Implementing this would take more effort, but I feel it would pay off in the end.
2. Of course!
3. Do PCs even do that?
4. Good idea, but this would require extra effort, and we'd need to find someone capable of redrawing a lot of graphic data and not losing quality through lack of effort near the end. Perhaps and amateur Manga artist would work. These would preferably be hand-drawn pixel-art like the PC-9821 version of Policenauts. Some animation like blinking or character movement is also necessary.
5. Very good idea, but there is a problem. There is no Japanese voice acting recorded for the extra scenes added in the Mega-CD version, so having to leave these silent would seem too out of place. My suggestion is to use the English dub and subtitle it for the Japanese.

Please don't refer to Standard Definition as "SD" around me, because of SD Snatcher and all.

Thanks Ash for bringing up the scrip issue for two reasons:
1. I thought you were talking about the program script.
2. This is quite an unthought-of topic in Snatcher. More people need to be aware of this stage in development.
Also, if both English and Japanese scripts are to be included, the spoken Japanese audio needs to be transcribed for comparison with the translated English of the Mega-CD, so they are consistent in what they are saying. If they are not I would recommend translating the English back to Japanese, For consistency.
As Director my job is to supervise the entire development, the script would be directly supervised by the Script Supervisor (so hard to guess right?), which I was thinking of leaving to Marc. Hes already proven his ability with Policenauts, and we need someone who is fluent in both Japanese and English for the use of both scripts.
Only if he has the free time and if he is willing to do so.
Some things will have to be omitted, like the Alice and Telice joke because there's no way to figure that out for an English speaking person if they don't already know about an obscure Japanese kids show.
Only for localization though. All the rude dialogue and other omitted scenes that were changed would still be included. Like the Rock, Paper, Scissors game in Queen Hospital.

About using a different code for the game, I don't have any qualms about using a different code, since you have done so little.
This would help with a lot of fine-tuning especially in the Intro & End Demo's animation. I'm not a programmer, but I'm more than confident that you can handle it.

On the topic of arranging BGM; Some time in the future I'll try to contact Mr. Rudy or someone else to see if he'd agree to arrange the music for the game. For Sound Effects, I figured I'd just use the PS1 version's, there all streamed files, and all of them are .VAG or .XA which is easy enough to rip.

As for development, let's just say for now that it will start at the beginning of next summer. That should give us enough time to converse and plan for this before we start so we don't all go jumping into this and become completely disorganized during development. Summer should get alot of people's schoolwork out of the way too, Including mine.
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

hairy_rhombus wrote:Bah, assembly is the way to go!

But seriously, if I was going to rewrite it from scratch (which I wouldn't, for various reasons) I'd use a high-level, multi-platform, easy-as-pie scripting language like python (perhaps using something like pygame). It just makes it all so much easier. It's not like performance has any relevance in this kind of game, and that's about the only down-side I can think of.
I'd happily do the coding, but as I said, I don't have the time for it now.

GirianSeed573 wrote:*Lots of text*
First. There are light-guns for the PC. I looked it up. The thing is I don't have any Idea how to implement said feature though :P. Maybe if I get a light gun that works for PC I could try figuring it out.

As for the dual-audio. For the scenes not recorded in a specific language, we could just leave it silent and just have text that the player controlls the flow of, kind of like when investigating useless stuff. However this could break the flow, but I think it would be the better option than having the voice and text change language in the middle of an conversation. This could also just be another option one could choose which way one would want it.

As for omitting the Alice and Telice joke, I'd say don't. Sure they wouldn't know about it but this gives me yet another idea. An extras menu where one could read about stuff like this. A sort of glossary and maybe the shooting sequences and other interesting stuff about the Snatcher universe.

And of course making a good plan of the project is key to a successful project.
GirianSeed573 wrote:Please don't refer to Standard Definition as "SD" around me, because of SD Snatcher and all.
Well, SD
Spoiler:
Standard Definition
is pretty much SD
Spoiler:
Super Deform
compared to HD
Spoiler:
High Definition... duh!
. :P
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

Well, I did know there were light guns for PC, (There was even one for MSX!) but I didn't think they were very widespread.

As for Dual Audio, It would just seem out of place to have spoken dialogue followed by text in a Demo, Plus the CD tracks would have to be edited just to fit the scenes in. There is no time because the Demo skips over what would be there. On top of that some of the music is different. Having different music for two different dubs within the same game is just weird. :|
Including the English dub with Japanese/English subtitles would seem more appropriate, as that's what they did with MGS: Integral. I heard Mr. Kojima actually liked the English dub better because it made it seem more like a movie, (a Western Japanese-subtitled movie that is) and that's what Mr. Kojima aims for, especially with Snatcher and Policenauts.

And as for the Alice and Telice joke, Including it in a database would be another good idea (like the Policenauts index in the Saturn version), but we should probably include some other things. Including info about something like that, but nothing else, would seem to obvious that we took to much time thinking about such a miniscule joke. We'd at least have to change some of it, because part of the joke comes form Japanese sentence structure and grammar, as Marc was explaining, and there's no way to bring that to English. Again, explaining about a kids show in the database, (that has nothing to do with Snatcher) when there's nothing else like that is just out of place.
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
hairy_rhombus

Post by hairy_rhombus »

1) Coding it from scratch

If someone wants to, go ahead. Personally, I think the disadvantages aren't worth the advantages and if I do continue this I'll just go on with renpy. 99% of these kinds of projects die because everyone runs out of steam putting together the basic engine, which never gets past a crude alpha.
Renpy is open source, and python, so I don't see any concrete risk of obsolescence.

2) Mouse support

Is already there, in case you didn't try my little PoC.
Someone mentioned the Sega menus being crappy. I was planning to make a different menu system as an option to make it easier to play on Android (a row of icons perhaps). It's trivial to do.

3) Lightgun support

Is already there, since all the PC lightguns (that I know of and/or just googled) just emulate a normal mouse.

4) Including the Alice/Telice and other such stuff

Adding this stuff in is one of the main reasons I got interested in doing this in the first place, so I would definitely add it all in, like I already did the Mika's breasts and measurements jokes :)
Jokes that require explanation could be explained in an extras menu as Kerm suggests, or just explain it right in a subtitle (as seen often in fansubbed anime).

5) Including dual Audio, music, subtitles, different graphics modes etc

Easy enough. Slightly less easy if a perfectionist wants to ensure things like all the lip sync and timing etc all match perfectly. I wouldn't bother aiming for all that in a 1.0.
Nicest would be to have an option to allow the player to choose which version's graphics, audio, and subtitles to use from a list of all the existing ones (which could include new graphics as well). Personally I'll likely just go forward with Sega graphics/audio/etc for now, but it's easy enough to add later on if someone decides they want to do it.

6) Missing voice acting for some scenes in some languages

I don't see it as an issue - most of the game is text and sometimes it pops into speech. I don't think it's really a big deal if some bit that is spoken in English on Sega CD is just text in another language, probably only fanatics would even notice.

7) The script, re: el_ash's diagrams

Well you didn't scare me off :) I'm not entirely new to this kind of tedious labor, so I wasn't expecting it to be a breeze or just a few night's hard work anyway. I did spend a good 5 or so hours just on the tiny little beginning I did, so something like 150+ hours for the whole deal wouldn't surprise me at all.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I don't want to sound rude, but again I'll show my thoughts on your post.

1.) I would prefer to code from scratch, so as to give us complete control over the product. But we need to decide now as to whether we are going to code from scratch or use Ren'py. I don't want the project getting split in two before its even started. Its time for a quote from Mr. Seed: "You underestimate the strength of the Coder Spirit!" (shitty joke, I know)

2.) I think you missed the point. What Kerm was talking about was using it in the style of Policenauts. The Mouse support in your Proof of Concept is exactly like that of the PlayStation version's.

3.) Light gun support is, again, another good feature. Both the Mega-CD and PlayStation versions had this. The hard part would be implementation, but I imagine it wouldn't be to terribly hard.

4.) I've got the perfect idea! If Metal Gear can link up to Alphaville (Alpha-One), why not Gaudi (Jordan). It could be like the index in Policenauts you can get by pressing the Start / Z button. The option path could be like "USE METAL GEAR > USE GAUDI > LOAD FACT FILE".

5.) Yeah, I'd just use the basics until we get the basic game program down. After that, however, we'd start adding all the detail. Lip-Sync, Animation, Sound Effects, Extras. As for switching between graphic modes, I'm not sure if I exactly see the point. My thoughts of redrawing the scenes were to take the best things from each version (Character designs, Censorship, etc.) and incorporate them all together.

6.) Investigation voices I'm not to concerned about. Its the Demos (Cutscenes) that use the CD Audio that worries me. I've already talked about the added scenes in the Mega-CD version and the different music. The reasons the I don't want to use the Japanese Demos are: 1.) There is no voice acting for these scenes. It doesn't exist. Using a "voice and then text" hybrid is just to weird to look and sound good. 2.) There is not enough time in the CD Audio tracks to include the text and still be synchronized. The only option for both dubs to exclude the bonus scenes, but that wouldn't be fair to the Japanese audience. Believe me, I'm all for the Japanese dub, but excluding those scenes, when we are trying to make the most complete version, is just a self-contradiction. Using a hybrid of both dubs (Japanese for in-game, English for Demos) is also out of the question. I'd just seem too out of place.

7.) This doesn't shirk me off either. I'm willing to work as hard as I can for the end product to be good. I just need to work around my free time. I'm sure all of us here have the ability to express our dedication to this great game.

Hopefully that should be enough explanation for those questions. If there are any others, I'm willing to give my two cents.
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

hairy_rhombus wrote:1) Coding it from scratch
If someone wants to, go ahead. Personally, I think the disadvantages aren't worth the advantages and if I do continue this I'll just go on with renpy. 99% of these kinds of projects die because everyone runs out of steam putting together the basic engine, which never gets past a crude alpha.
Renpy is open source, and python, so I don't see any concrete risk of obsolescence.
When I start coding something I really like, I won't stop until it's done. This is just the kind of project I just can't see myself giving up unless everyone else does. Anyway it's not really my call if the project should start from scratch and work with C or C++. I just want to code in a language I'm comfortable with if I would happen to find time for this project. Which leads me to agreeing with GirianSeed573 that we should just plan the project and start development when summer comes around when most of us have free time.
hairy_rhombus

Post by hairy_rhombus »

GirianSeed573 wrote:I don't want to sound rude, but again I'll show my thoughts on your post.
Rest assured, I'm not taking anything here personally, and have no problem with people having different opinions from mine. I know that's against time-honored internet tradition, but that's me :)
GirianSeed573 wrote:1.) I would perfer to code from scratch, so as to give us complete control over the product.
First, I can't think of any real concrete benefit coding from scratch provides in this case. Renpy is not a "game construction kit" like rpgmaker or AGS, it's just a bunch of python modules, and it's all open source. You can extend it using straight python, as many have done, to do whatever you want. If you wrote it all in C (or whatever), you wouldn't code your own graphics routines, mp3 decoder, etc, you'd find existing open source libraries and use those. I don't see that there's much difference.

Second, I'm just being pragmatic (or pessimistic, your choice). The majority of all these projects do fizzle out, let's not kid ourselves. Writing an engine is tedious, difficult, and followed by an eternity of boring bug-hunting, documenting the scripting language for the scripters, tweaking and so forth. You're entirely dependent on your one or two coders not giving up on it or cutting the wrong corners. Personally I'd rather use something that's already done, that keeps me independent, than bet on that horse. I've seen these things die far too often to be an optimist on that point. And been involved in them, too, which sucked royally.
On top of that, having a tangible, playable product from day one is a huge motivation-boost (I think that's why mods of existing games seem to more often reach completion).

Either way, we have nothing now. So, if I, today, happen to have some energy and free time to work on this, I'm not really inclined to just do flowcharts and screenshots, when I could already be putting that effort into an existing engine right now, that already works and works well, and does 95% of what I need.
If someone does eventually produce a working engine that has real benefits, I'll be happy to port my work over. Because ultimately, that isn't such a huge deal.

But like I said, I don't mean to discourage anyone. Make it a pen-and-paper RPG, or write it in cobol, it's all groovy with me. I'm thrilled if people actually do go for this project in whatever shape or form. I'm just saying, personally, I'd rather not invests hundreds of hours building a house without a foundation, when there are completed foundations available. Excuse the dorky metaphor :)
GirianSeed573 wrote:2.) I think you missed the point. What Kerm was talking about was using it in the style of Policenauts. The Mouse support in your Proof of Concept is exactly like that of the PlayStation version's.
It's a long time since I played Policenauts, so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it basically like a point and click adventure style interface? If so, then that's there already, it's just defining hotspots on the screen basically.
GirianSeed573 wrote:3.) LightGun support is, again, another good feature. Both the Mega-CD and PlayStation versions had this. The hard part would be implementation, but I imagine it wouldn't be to terribly hard.
It's basically the same thing as the above, thanks to the lightguns just being mice thing. The snatcher shooting sequences are just whack-a-mole after all, which is, again, just hotspots.
GirianSeed573 wrote:As for switching between graphic modes, I'm not sure if I exactly see the point.
There isn't a point, it would just be for nostalgia/completeness. I kinda like the crappy MSX graphics :)
GirianSeed573 wrote:My thoughts of redrawing the scenes were to take the best things from each version (Charachter designs, Censorship, etc.) and incorperate them all together.
If we have a good, motivated artist on board, sure thing. But that's a tall order, and it's a crapload of work. One option at this early stage would be to just stick to Sega graphics, and just include the non-Sega scenes that are clearly different/better on other platforms. If some artist comes along that can make it match the style, great.
GirianSeed573 wrote:Belive me, I'm all for the Japanese dub, but excluding thosse scens, when we are trying to make the most complete version, is just a self-contradiction. Using a hybrid of both dubs (Japanese for ingame, English for Demos) is also out of the question. I'd just seem too out of place.
I don't really think we have much choice. If we do manage to include a japanese audio version, we just have a selectable option to either have only the standard japanese scenes, or include the bonus scenes in english with japanese subs. I don't really see any other options.
If someone wants to shell out to hire talented japanese voice actors who can impersonate the originals, that's another matter :)
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I'm starting to like you and Kerm more and more.
I only said I didn't want to be rude so someone doesn't misinterpret my words.
The only time I'm ever rude to someone on the net is when they are intentionally being an Asshole.

Did you seriously just call the MSX graphics crappy to the face of the Biggest Konami MSX Fan at JUNKER HQ? I understand that you like them, but I'm just too huge an MSX fan to take an insult for that wonderful computer.
It's alright man, I'm not mad. Yeah, I know its mostly blue, but I still like it anyway. I'd just use the Sega CD's graphics as a place holder until everything is in place. Using different versions in the final product wouldn't look good because of the different color pallets.
Who said anything about MP3 encoding. I'd just use a system specific file like WAV, AIF, or OGG.
I've got an idea for the different dubs. We could select witch dub to use, and then select Japanese or English subtitles. In other words, the English dub would grant the extra scenes, but a Japanese speaker could just select the Japanese subtitles and still understand everything. Also an English speaker could select the Japanese dub (with the excluded scenes) and English subtitles.
I imagine it would go like this:

VOICE__________TEXT
JAPANESE>>>JAPANESE
JAPANESE>>>ENGLISH
ENGLISH>>>>JAPANESE
ENGLISH>>>>ENGLISH

That way we could include both the added scenes and the original Japanese ones. We could also use this to include the different music in the CD Audio Tracks. Plus we could use a couple of the equivalent tracks from the PS1 version. Here's an example:

Chin Shu Oh Demo BGM
PC-Engine: Eternal Promise ~ Theme of Randam ~ Bioroid Madnar ~ Faded Memories
Sega CD: Pleasure of Tension ~ Mysterious Clue
PlayStation: Pleasure of Tension ~ Mysterious Clue
(The version "Pleasure of Tension" from the PS1 version is different from that of the Sega CD version)
(The PlayStation version also has an unused version of of this scene with no music in the voice file "XAS_M000.XA")
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

GirianSeed573 wrote:I'm starting to like you and Kerm more and more. ;)
I only said I didn't want to be rude so someone doesn't misinterpret my words.
The only time I'm ever rude to someone on the net is when they are intentionally being an Asshole.
We are all adults here. I don't think anyone here wants to seem rude. :)
GirianSeed573 wrote: It's alright man, I'm not mad. Yeah, I know its mostly blue, but I still like it anyway. I'd just use the Sega CD's graphics as a place holder untill everything is in place. Using differnt versions in the final product wouldn't look good because of the differnt color pallets.
Yea, I think the first step would be just to replicate the SegaCD version and proceed from there. I would also have an option to swtich graphic mode. Of course this would make it impossible to play past act3 if one plays with the MSX/PC-88 graphics. As for the rest, sounds good.
hairy_rhombus wrote: easier to play on Android (a row of icons perhaps).
A mobile version would be freaking sweet. :mrgreen:
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

Silly people, acting like the english version is the only one with extra scenes. Remember the porn tape~!
This isn't important. What is important is getting this to be the sexiest fan-remake of all time! :D
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I already talked about the investigation scenes; We can just use text for those.
My only concern is the Cutscenes (with CD Audio). I'm still in favor of using one dub, but if you guys request it, I guess it'll be incorporated. If anything, the option to switch between dubs should be presented in a different manner than just selecting which to use in the Options Menu. It should be presented in the boot sequence; Something like:

SELECT GAME MODE
>PC-ENGINE TYPE
>MEGA-CD TYPE

Some lines presented only in text can be translated and put back into the Japanese mode, and vice versa. I'm trying to make the two mode as close together and as complete as possible, but some things still need to be changed. Again the Demo's are the only thing that concerns me, but I suppose this can be overcome if the Japanese player selects the English dub and uses Japanese subtitles.

"Sexiest Fan Remake of All Time" I'm not into hentai, man.

Most Metal Gear fans have at least heard of Snatcher & Policenauts, so whats to say there not willing to try it out? I'll admit its not for everybody but some people might like it, and wouldn't it be fair to bring them the best version? I'm not doing this to disrespect Konami or Mr. Kojima, but to expand and complete his vision.

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, just ask me and I'll be happy to respond. For now I'm both Director and Public Relations untill someone can fill the later position.

Fun Fact: The Porn Scene's sound effects come from either Parodius or Tokimemo (I cant remember).
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
Kerm
Policenauts PS1
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Ac!d
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Zone of The Enders

Post by Kerm »

AwesomeBrand wrote:Silly people, acting like the english version is the only one with extra scenes. Remember the porn tape~!
This isn't important. What is important is getting this to be the sexiest fan-remake of all time! :D
Indeed :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

I didn't literally mean Sexy tho ?_?
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS2) Zone of the Enders

Post by GirianSeed573 »

I thought up a new game mode.
"PC-88/MSX2 TYPE"

This would mean no voices and ending at the end of Act 2.
The same Graphics & Music would still be used for all Game Modes, but some things like Joy Division's original number (69-1107 instead of 69-1170) and the text bleeps would be in place. All names would remain the same as their Japanese counterparts; i.e. Random>Randam, Katrina>Katherine.
Last edited by GirianSeed573 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
JonnyTanna
Favorite Game: Killer7
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Series (Even down to Metal Gear Mobile)
Snatcher (all versions)
Bokatai
Zone Of The Enders
Policenauts

Post by JonnyTanna »

In the calm words of Peter Griffin.. That's Frickin' awesome!

I hope this project takes off, as if it's distributed amongst Android and iPhone users, it can stand a chance to become popular enough to be relaunched into the Western Mainstream.. One can only hope.

Similar to my Killer7 - Marvel Vs Capcom 3 petition.