View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:14 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like? 
Author Message
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 am
Posts: 197
Reply with quote
Post What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
I was thinking about the transition of the original MSX Metal Gear into a modern 3D title and was wondering what a Snatcher sequel would have been like if the same had happened to it in 1998 instead or even now? (yes, I know el Ash is working on a remake, but he's stuck with decisions made for the original game. I'm talking about a complete sequel.)

It's an graphic adventure game essentially WHICH are coming back in vogue a bit lately. Would a new Snatcher game feel like LA Noir or Black Rain perhaps? A more open world with missions and clues to be collected over an entire city? Would you add a more action orient game mechanic to it or keep it a basically a story to explore with moments of tense gunplay mechanic?

Also would it be first or third person perspective or a combination like the original game? Sometimes the characters are looking directly at YOU and sometimes Gillian is in the frame and a "movie scene" is created.

I'm not a fan of Quick Time Events. Keeps me from concentrating on the story if I'm constantly waiting for some symbol to pop up on the screen.

It's also cool to know that somewhere there is a Metal Gear MkII CG model that was made for the original 1998 MGS. Is there anymore more info or pics of that out there other than that one still? I can't seem to find it in my files. Anybody have it?

Also if we could just get a peek into the Snatcher 2 file in Kojima's office we might get a better idea of what a REAL sequel would have been like.
Image

Fun stuff to think about.

Nick


Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:46 am
Profile
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Ohio, United States
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
This is an interesting topic you made here, Nick.
I hope we can get this thread into an intelligent discussion about game design in relation to this genre.

I'll post my unabridged thoughts when I get home.
..if I can gather enogh to say, there's a lot of information that could stem from these ideas.

nickdaring wrote:
Also if we could just get a peek into the Snatcher 2 file in Kojima's office we might get a better idea of what a REAL sequel would have been like.
Image


Interesting. I'd love to see all the stuff they cut from the original Snatcher.
I heard Kojima was planning for a six act game, but he had to compress it into three, and then had to completely slice off the third act!

I think Snatcher 2 would be nearly completely different than anything we'd expect.
That's from judging by the third act of SD Snatcher, and as we all know, Kojima had some crazy shit planned for that game, which supposedly uses a good bit of the originally planned third act of PC-88/MSX Snatcher.

Also, anyone else notice that the Act 1 planning book doesn't have any Katakana above the logo?

_________________
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」


Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:13 am
Posts: 561
Location: Neo Kobe
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
nickdaring wrote:
I was thinking about the transition of the original MSX Metal Gear into a modern 3D title and was wondering what a Snatcher sequel would have been like if the same had happened to it in 1998 instead or even now? (yes, I know el Ash is working on a remake, but he's stuck with decisions made for the original game. I'm talking about a complete sequel.)

It's an graphic adventure game essentially WHICH are coming back in vogue a bit lately. Would a new Snatcher game feel like LA Noir or Black Rain perhaps? A more open world with missions and clues to be collected over an entire city? Would you add a more action orient game mechanic to it or keep it a basically a story to explore with moments of tense gunplay mechanic?

Also would it be first or third person perspective or a combination like the original game? Sometimes the characters are looking directly at YOU and sometimes Gillian is in the frame and a "movie scene" is created.

I'm not a fan of Quick Time Events. Keeps me from concentrating on the story if I'm constantly waiting for some symbol to pop up on the screen.

It's also cool to know that somewhere there is a Metal Gear MkII CG model that was made for the original 1998 MGS. Is there anymore more info or pics of that out there other than that one still? I can't seem to find it in my files. Anybody have it?

Fun stuff to think about.

Nick


I've been thinking about the same, but almost forever ago...(I'd still love to remake MG 1 & 2 in 3D someday if Kojima doesn't lol!)
In 2002 I started thinking about doing a Snatcher sequel, which after much story planning and thought it just turned into a decision to plan/do this Snatcher remake.
Too much of what made the original Snatcher so great would have been lost...the whole colorfull "Cyberpunk" city would be gone, characters from the original etc.

Kojima has stated he probably would make Snatcher more like L.A. Noire, and more open world, and honestly that's sort of what I'm going for in a way.
I hate quicktime events! Most modern games seem to incorporate it now...ever tried playing Asuma's Wrath? it's one big QTE! BULLSHIT! HATE IT!

My idea invovled the story taking place right after the plane with a team of soldiers, Gillian, Metal, and Napoleon left Neo Kobe City for Russia...
The plane would crash in the Siberian Neutral Zone and Gillian would once again be picked up by the 17th Investigative force and taken to a base outpost.
Gillian would not rememebr the crash, and everyone but a few soldiers would survive and the story would mostly revolve around trying to get to Russia to destroy the Snatcher factory.

My plot depended heavily on the "Fear" of who is a Snatcher...(and who isn't...as it could be anyone including Gillian! but obviously not Metal lol!)
As you tried to figure out who caused the crash, you would slowly recover your memory of jamie, Russia, your full past etc. while trying to make it into the quarentined Russia.
It would have been a big departure story and setting wise as Russia and the SNZ are more abandoned empty and apocolyptic settings unlike the "Cyberpunk" sprawling cityscapes of Neo Kobe.
There's more to it that I developed in detail, but I've already written too much here...I hate long messages lol! So I'll stop the wall of text here. :mrgreen:

The game would have more military themed stuff and some more action like MGS, basically I pictured it like the movie "Aliens" and also "Screamers", or "The Thing" combined with Snatchers etc.
Yet it would still have the same story depth and investigating etc. and the things that made Snatcher good, but it would be a bit darker and depend more on character interaction etc.

Obviously I'm a terrible writter and felt Kojima could do better and I didn't want to be ridiculed for messing up a sequel to a great game...
So I eventually decided to just take Snatcher and remake it how I saw it if it was in 3D drawing from Deus Ex at the time (which I played in 2002).

_________________
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack


Tue May 01, 2012 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Ohio, United States
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
el_ash wrote:
My idea invovled the story taking place right after the plane with a team of soldiers, Gillian, Metal, and Napoleon left Neo Kobe City for Russia...
The plane would crash in the Siberian Neutral Zone and Gillian would once again be picked up by the 17th Investigative force and taken to a base outpost.
Gillian would not rememebr the crash, and everyone but a few soldiers would survive and the story would mostly revolve around trying to get to Russia to destroy the Snatcher factory.

My plot depended heavily on the "Fear" of who is a Snatcher...(and who isn't...as it could be anyone including Gillian! but obviously not Metal lol!)
As you tried to figure out who caused the crash, you would slowly recover your memory of jamie, Russia, your full past etc. while trying to make it into the quarentined Russia.
It would have been a big departure story and setting wise as Russia and the SNZ are more abandoned empty and apocolyptic settings unlike the "Cyberpunk" sprawling cityscapes of Neo Kobe.
There's more to it that I developed in detail, but I've already written too much here...I hate long messages lol! So I'll stop the wall of text here. :mrgreen:

The game would have more military themed stuff and some more action like MGS, basically I pictured it like the movie "Aliens" and also "Screamers", or "The Thing" combined with Snatchers etc.
Yet it would still have the same story depth and investigating etc. and the things that made Snatcher good, but it would be a bit darker and depend more on character interaction etc.


That reminds me of that Snatcher II project from back in '05.
Interesting ideas, though. It could work, if given the proper care to create good game design and a well-written story.
One thing I like is that it's not just trying to be a copy of Snatcher and that it takes a unique direction with itself.

_________________
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」


Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:47 am
Posts: 90
Location: France
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
Reading your post, el_ash, gave me the idea of a sequel with an all new character who doesn't know Gillian, but he will eventually meet him at some point (maybe briefly, like when the protagonist of GTA San Andreas meets the protagonist of GTA III during a quick mission). Also, the gameplay would be totally different, like a FPS, but still in a cyberpunk environment.
That would piss off some fans, like MGS2 did. :mrgreen:

I started playing Deus Ex for the first time last week, that might also influence me. :D

P.S. : Also, the new main character would have to work with the same Metal Gear Mk.II, just to make a reference to R2-D2's multiple owners in Star Wars.

@GirianSeed573 : There was a Snatcher II project ? Is there a link or something ? Might be interesting...

_________________
Check out my iPhone app : MGS2's Dog Tag Viewer to help you keep track of your dog tags in any version of MGS2.


Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 am
Posts: 197
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
I bet someone could make a cool 2D sequel on the AGS system.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Home.aspx

Some really cool stuff has been made with it. I highly recommend Gemini Rue for a recent cyberpunk "retro" adventure game made with it.

Maybe a prequel made by adapting the SDATCHER radio show, perhaps?

Nick


Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Profile
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Ohio, United States
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
I like these ideas. Scratch that; I really like these ideas.

And yeah, there was a Snatcher II project. It was started by 8BitSonic back in 2005.
It never got off the ground, but I'd be interested in reviving it in some way.
This thread is producing top quality ideas.

Theres a thread about it in the M District.
In that thread there is also a link to a ProBoards forum they made.

If it were to be revived, I'd definetely work on it. Hell, I might accidental become Project Leader again... :P
I'd at least want it to be after the proposed Snatcher remake ,which I'm calling "SNATCHER -The Final Cut-", and my idea for SD Policenauts (which Kyrill proposed) so I can work on it.

_________________
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」


Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:23 am
Posts: 197
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
SD Policenauts would be so cool!

Reminds me of how I really would love to see a retro sequel to the MSX Metal Gear 2 as if it was made for Super Nintendo (or Sega CD for sound). A missing link game between the MSX and Playstation games.

Image

Image

Cut scenes could be handled in a way similar to Sega CD Snatcher perhaps. Or even maybe something a little more stylish like Another World.

Image

Gameplay could be pretty close to Ghost Babel, which is a really fun game if you haven't tried it.

Image

Again, fun stuff to think about.

Nick


Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 pm
Profile
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Ohio, United States
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
nickdaring wrote:
SD Policenauts would be so cool!

I was thinking about making it the pseudo-sequel to SD Snatcher.
Yeah, a Policenauts RPG. That concept is so cool my head might explode.

I'm not bullshitting. I really like that idea.

nickdaring wrote:
Again, fun stuff to think about.

Definetely. What interests me the most about pitching ideas for projects or just out into the air is that there is allways a posibility to have something come out of it. Think of how many ideas we have floating around here. I mean there's SNATCHER: The Final Cut, which I'm in charge of, an idea for SD Policenauts, Metal Gear 3, Snatcher II (which didn't happen, but at least we still have the concept), and others...

Ideas stem actions. Actions stem responses. I love working on things like this, or at least pitching ideas. It stimulates creativity.
Comunities thrive from things like this. Look at Sonic Retro, the're possibly the most active Project-based fan community I can think of.
It'd be nice to have something active come out of the Snatcher/Policenauts/Metal Gear community too. Things are too stagnant because there's really nothing going on. When there are things happening, especially exciting things, activity starts to pick up. A perfect example is how much commotion the Policenauts Translation stirred, granted that was a hug deal, and well worthy of its fame.

Plus, making more stuff for people to enjoy is allways great.

Edit: @ Kyrill, I found that thread I mentioned about Snatcher II.
http://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=506
I can see why it never went anywhere. It lacked a very solid plan to begin on.

_________________
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」


Tue May 01, 2012 2:15 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:36 pm
Posts: 79
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
a modern snatcher sequel would have act 3 on the disc...

but you'd have to pay to unlock it ;)


Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 pm
Profile
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 377
Location: Ohio, United States
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
HorseFactory wrote:
a modern snatcher sequel would have act 3 on the disc...

Uh, sequel, dude.

Also, on-disc DLC is fucking retarded. Who the hell would fall for that shit?
Fucking cheap ass companies, why can't they just create products people will want to buy instead of milking owners of a game for cash?

I can accept DLC for additions to a game that, say, was rushed, or they just want to create more content for a game; but on-disc DLC is just fucking insulting.

"War has changed."

_________________
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」


Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 am
Posts: 106
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
Quite surprising motion controls haven't been mentioned so far. They fit perfectly for the shootout-sequences, touching boobs, checking the environment etc.

As for a sequel, I'd like some breaking of the fourth wall again, or messing up the players expectation.

Like you play some different guy in Moscow and are a member of Gillian's new strike force, taking orders from him and his crew members, taking out hiding places, laboratories, Snatchers etc. along the way... maybe even a little free roaming within Moscow.
You continue doing so and then later on find out that Gillian has actually been snatched (during the flight), using you to dispose of a rival snatcher group etc. It would maybe be a bit too harsh, killing Gillian off and everything, but you wouldn't come to expect this, even topping the "It's the chief!" moment. And i like the idea of different Snatcher factions. Like they're becoming more and more human, exactly the opposite of what Modnar originally intended.

Or you could actually play a guy with amnesia (again) through a first person view and only later in the game you manage to see your own reflection which looks like Random. So you expect you're playing Random who has been rebuilt but in truth, you're actually somebody just looking like him coincidentially OR are Modnar's real son - so Random wasn't made as a Reflection of Elijah (as HE said) but in the image of his other son.

Or you actually play Gillian, oblivious of the fact that whole Moscow (or even Russia?) has already been snatched.

Anyways, it would have to be story driven, lots of twists and turns, original, likeable and interesting characters, familiar and new faces alike...

The only thing that would be hard to recreate would be Snatcher's depth. I mean, you could look at a chair like 20 times and then get a different, more detailed description, completely irrelevant to anything about the story, like about its manufacturer, material, etc. But it made the setting really come to life for me back then. However, i guess checking every single piece of decoration nowherdays would just come off as boring. Besides, at least for the visusl part of it, things would already give away information by just LOOKING at them within the game world, instead of having a description of what the object looks like due to technical limitations back then.

Anyways. Motion controls and lots of mindfucks. Pretty please?


Fri May 25, 2012 3:36 pm
Profile
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 am
Posts: 182
Reply with quote
Post Re: What would a modern Snatcher sequel look like?
At the Necro-bump we go!

At some point I considered making a game taking place at the alternate events of the original Snatcher, mostly rehashing ideas from the SD Snatcher. Some of 'em look pretty cool, like watching a movie to find Napoleon, or a cult who worships Snatchers, etc. That would be cool.

_________________
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand


Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:35 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.