Snatcher on SNES: Is it possible?

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Snatcher on SNES: Is it possible?

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Please read this before you post.

I know that back in the 16-bit era, the Super Nintendo never had any games with full motion video unlike the SEGA/Mega CD and a few others and Nintendo was considering about making one for it, but later went against it due to those systems' marketing failures, but nearly 20 years later, it seems that now it's possible for the SNES to play FMV games.

S-MSU1: SNES-Media Streaming Unit

Here's an example of what the S-MSU1 chip is capable of:

Comparing the SNES home-port with the Sega CD version:

This is the whole reason why I'm asking, "is it possible to port Snatcher on the SNES?" Since the S-MSU1 chip is able to play CD-quality audio and FMV, and able to hold up to 4GB, I have no doubt that porting Snatcher over to the SNES can work.
RyuHayabusa
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear - NES CIB
Metal Gear - Famicom CIB
Snake's Revenge - NES CIB
Metal Gear Solid - Playstation
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snaker Eater - PS2
Metal Gear Solid 4 -PS3
Metal Gear HD Collection - PS3
Metal Gear Solid - Peace Walker - PSP
Zone of the Enders HD Collection - PS3
Snatcher CD-Romantic - PC Engine
Snather Pilot Disk - PC Engine
Snatcher - Sega CD
Snatcher - Sega Saturn
Snatcher - Playstation
Policenauts - Sega Saturn
Policenauts - Playstation - The Best
Policenauts - Playstation

Re: Snatcher on SNES: Is it possible?

Post by RyuHayabusa »

I'm sure it would possible. The only thing that would've ever been problematic is the sheer size of the game. With 4gb that would be more than enough for Snatcher. In fact, it would probably be the best port of all because of the larger color palette compared to the Sega CD or PC Engine. Then again, look at the PSX/Saturn ports.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

It is possible, even without that. Snatcher just needs storage space, it doesn't even need FMV. Al its animation was using tiles.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Post by SnatcherMkII »

I know it's almost a year, but I forgot to mention that the MSU1 chip can hold up to 4GB of storage space, not to mention having 44khz playback. The SNES version of Road Blaster is like over 600MB. That should be plenty for good ol' Snatcher.
nickdaring
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by nickdaring »

It would also be kinda cool to see a version that is in between the PC88 and Sega CD versions.

Good graphics but with no audio or elaborate animations. Plus I always like the color palette of the SNES. Might be cool.

That reminds me, I still need to play through the PC88 version. I love the art direction and tone of that version so much! :)