A Non-linear Snatcher storyline?

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
nickdaring
J.U.N.K.E.R.

A Non-linear Snatcher storyline?

Post by nickdaring »

As it is Snatcher is a pretty straight-forward narrative but I can't help but wonder what it would've been like to have important choices in the game that could have resulted in multiple endings?

Something like- Learning that Random Hajile was a bioroid earlier and you are forced to decide whether to trust him or kill him would have been interesting. How would that have effectd later events would be a cool reason to replay the game.

I'm sure much of it has to do with the fact that the early versions of the game were on such limited hardware and storage space but even Portopia Serial Murder Case had some non linear elements to it if I remember correctly.

Thoughts?
el_ash
Major
PSN: Ash712

Re: A Non-linear Snatcher storyline?

Post by el_ash »

I've actually been thinking about this for a long time now...its a very interesting subject :mrgreen:

I was considering the possibility of adding extra dialog/choices and many other things to Snatcher for the remake I'm doing.
Thanks to playing games like Deus Ex (series), and Mass Effect (series) where multiple endings/choices exist.
It would add a lot more replay value to the game with more stuff to do, and since my project is more of an "open" world (not fully) it kind of fits well.

The problem is : I'm a big fan of Snatcher, so I'm hesitant to change anything, but I also have the ability to do so +have ideas, so I'm torn lol!

*I considered having Gibson live a little longer, or having a "team up" similar to how you do with Random in Act 2, but more like SD Snatcher (longer factory section).
*I also thought about having Random live, as I have seen an image where he appears to survive and be at the Airport (in a sketch).
*I wanted to extend the 'Underground/Tubeliner" portion.
*Add more hospitals to check for Act 2 (thinking more in depth Policenauts-ish)
*More "Masks" and items in Plato's Cavern (A Kojima, or Snake "Mask"? lol)
*Maybe actually get to use those Junker items mentioned in the Sega CD manual/JORDAN.
*Extending the Kremlin Facility (Act 3) to be larger like in SD Snatcher.
*More NPC encounters.
*More interactive non-story items, or maybe "collectables".
**Have alternate/extra not so important to the story Snatchers to find/kill/invetigate etc.
*Meet "Mr. Big" the drug dealer and stop his drug ring (Ivan's dealer)
*Taking Jamie out on dates, or a stealth mission of spying on her and the chief.
*Taking Katrina shopping etc., or having dinner.
*Drinking with Harry and getting to know him more.
*Running into Freddy at the cab company, or at Outer Heaven.
*Maybe making you not have to meet Ivan etc.
*A freeman mission to take out data in Alpha One.
*Adding "off duty" daytime missions for Gillian and Metal. Maybe do the passage of time in a similar to "Rise of the Dragon" like 24/7 system.
^The locations look beautiful in the daylight, and the CE3 makes it possible, but sort of ruins the whole dark Cyberpunk feel IMHO.
*Adding SD Snatcher based side missions (the church etc.)
*Letting David Johnson be in a coma as mentioned for you to visit (like in SD).
*Investigating the lives of the other Junkers and their Navigator data etc. would be awesome...
^Mostly because I'd love to see what "SpoonyBardess" could draw up for new Navi/Junker character designs.

I have a ton of concepts I've been kicking around, and I could ramble on, and on...and on...lol!
I haven't really touched on my ideas for conversation variables (think Mass Effect) in the above, or adding more puzzles etc. lol!

I'd like to hear more thoughts on this subject as well, because if you guys have ideas I just may implement them? :mrgreen:

BTW: Sorry for the long post...I hate making long posts lol!
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
nickdaring
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by nickdaring »

Long posts are good.

I guess the only real branching story point in all the Kojima games would be Meryl dying or not dying in MGS1. That and maybe be able to kill The End earlier in the story in MGS3.

Maybe Kojima doesn't like the idea of player choice in a storyline?

I still need to play SD Snatcher. I'm really curious about the expanded story elements.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

The problem with story branching is the work it represents. Hardly anybody really does it, if anybody.

I believe you hacvve to have a hard scenario, and the options need to work logically with it. Otherwise you end up with inconsistencies.. like Heavy Rain. I'll explain myself. You need to have the intentions and facts straight, and only reveal párt of them through the changing options throught the game, showing the different outcomes.

The problem is that it is quite hard to keep them all interesting, usually one branch is the interesting one... and I believe that throught the creative process, that is the branch we end up seeing. It is hard to be the judge of your own work, and the ones that can do it are really harsh with it... I believe that is for the best.

Having the what if scenarios also gives something to think about to the player/reader, since otherwise they end up being spoiled and the resulting therad they choose is never as rewarding since they think they can get more out of it.

I certainly believe that is why we are fascinated wit Snatcher, had it been otherwise, we wouldn't be reading about it here 24 years later.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

@ Nick : GO PLAY SD SNATCHER! (pm me if you need help with it) :mrgreen:

@ Artemio : It is a LOT of work, and that is exactly why there are so few games with non-linear stories/choices.

As you mentioned even when games do it there are often inconsistencies, as such with the Mass Effect series at times (and other games) lol!

I totally agree with you about Snatcher, and now I feel old when I think of how many years I've been playing it...
I can't get the game out of my head because of the story, and characters :mrgreen:

The most interesting about Metal Gear Solid V, is that Kojima says the game is more "open" and the story is more "non linear"...
This to me could turn out to be amazing, as if there wasn't enough replay value packed into the MG games as it is! \:D/
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

>All the el_ash's ideas

Come to think of it, a whole 3 acts were omitted from Snatcher because of deadline, as far as I know.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
el_ash
Major

Post by el_ash »

TechNoir wrote:>All the el_ash's ideas

Come to think of it, a whole 3 acts were omitted from Snatcher because of deadline, as far as I know.
Thanx man! :mrgreen:

A lot of things will determine how much of my ideas I implement, such as fan reactions, and the amount of work involved.

I have already expanded the environments to be more "Free/Open", and I've got a drivable/flyable "Turbocycle" working...
I need to justify those additions still (gameplay/story wise), and if I can't then I may have to "cut" those features (which would suck!).

EXAMPLE : You go to the M District in the original game, but all that you can do is enter the Abandoned Factory.
In my "remake" you have a large portion of the M District to explore (like SD Snatcher), so there is more than just the Abandoned Factory to enter.

That is why I've been brainstorming all those ideas for a while now, since all that new "space" has to be used for side quests or something to justify it etc.
My goal has always been to go more "Deus Ex" on this remake, as the original DX game inspired this whole crazy remake mess lol!

Yup, it's sad that 3 Acts were removed according to Kojima.
I wish he would release the script for the original 6 Act version, but we will never know what was cut. :-#
"DAMN SNATCHERS!"
Game RemakeImageMap Pack
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

One day I considered making a game with SD Snatcher + Snatcher stories fused, but I think I'll better wait til' the release of your remake.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand