Junker HQ
http://forums.junkerhq.net/

Other Snatcher style adventure games?
http://forums.junkerhq.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3056
Page 1 of 1

Author:  nickdaring [ Fri May 24, 2013 5:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Other Snatcher style adventure games?

I really like Snatcher and had a lot of fun playing through Policenauts.

Can anybody recommend any other good games that are in a similar adventure game style?

Author:  hikage [ Sat May 25, 2013 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

The Ace Attourney series is wonderful, and is pretty similar in terms of gameplay. If you don't mind sexual content, there are a LOT of similar games. One of my favorites are YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World, although that's more of a point and click game, which you may like since you liked Policenauts. Another by the same creator is Desire, which uses much less mouse. There is another one by the same creator that is better than Desire (although not as good as YU-NO), EVE: Burst Error, which controls very similarly. Image

The Monkey Island series is also a great point-and-click series.
Some other point-and-click games with less of a story are Elivira II and Waxworks. (Both really creepy)
Grim Fandango controls differently, but is amazing and will make you rack your brain many times.

Author:  Trickless [ Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

Outside of Snatcher and Policenauts, I've always tried to recommend Famicom Detective Club Part 2 for the Super Famicom/SNES. It's been fan translated and you don't need to play the previous game (it acts as a prequel).

Image Image

Author:  best name ever [ Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

I wouldn't exactly call a game like Snatcher or Policenauts a "Visual Novel". Since visual novels are usually just that, a novel with visuals and sound, (almost) nothing more. Snatcher and Policenauts are your standard Japanese adventure games, with commands and dialogue trees at every corner.

Trickless wrote:
Famicom Detective Club Part 2 for the Super Famicom/SNES.

Yes, Famicom Detective Club Part II is great, I highly recommend that as well!

hikage wrote:
If you don't mind sexual content, there are a LOT of similar games. One of my favorites are YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World, although that's more of a point and click game, which you may like since you liked Policenauts. Another by the same creator is Desire, which uses much less mouse. There is another one by the same creator that is better than Desire (although not as good as YU-NO), EVE: Burst Error, which controls very similarly.

I've played a good portion of EVE: Burst Error and I wouldn't exactly recommend it. The incredibly profane writing, while funny at first, really grades on you after a while and the overall story I found kind of...boring. However it did get an official English release back in 1997 (it was censored down to an M rating), which you can now buy digitally.

YU-NO is almost the same story with me. Its a porn game that's considered "amazing"... if you look past the porn. Which I find impossible.

Author:  hikage [ Tue May 28, 2013 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

best name ever wrote:
YU-NO is almost the same story with me. Its a porn game that's considered "amazing"... if you look past the porn. Which I find impossible.


Well, to each their own, I guess. I found it quite easy to look past the porn, and I really enjoyed the whole thing. I can agree on you somewhat on EVE: Burst Error, though.

Author:  GirianSeed573 [ Tue May 28, 2013 12:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

I've had a copy of YU-NO on my Hard Disk for practically forever and haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Author:  nickdaring [ Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

best name ever wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call a game like Snatcher or Policenauts a "Visual Novel". Since visual novels are usually just that, a novel with visuals and sound, (almost) nothing more. Snatcher and Policenauts are your standard Japanese adventure games, with commands and dialogue trees at every corner.


Interesting. I always thought that the full frame Japanese adventure games were just called "Visual Novels". Good to know.

Author:  best name ever [ Tue May 28, 2013 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style "Visual Novel" games?

hikage wrote:
Well, to each their own, I guess. I found it quite easy to look past the porn, and I really enjoyed the whole thing. I can agree on you somewhat on EVE: Burst Error, though.

I guess I'm not being entirely fare with YU-NO, since I haven't actually played it. Though I do agree with you on Monkey Island and Grim Fandango! There western style adventure games, with more focus on puzzle solving, but definitely prime examples of the best this style has to offer.

nickdaring wrote:
Interesting. I always thought that the full frame Japanese adventure games were just called "Visual Novels". Good to know.
Your not alone, many people get them confused.
A visual novel would be something like, Remember 11 or When They Cry. Where there's next to no interactivity and is literally written like a book, with sentences describing situations and everything (even though it has visuals).

Author:  TechNoir [ Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

OK, Famicom Detective Club Part II. What else do we have?

Author:  Trickless [ Thu May 30, 2013 2:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

JESUS - Kyoufu no Bio Monster for the Famicom/NES is one of my favourites. Was originally released for the PC88 (a year before Snatcher!). The Famicom version obviously looks nowhere near as good, but it's still fun to play through (and only version playable in English). Make sure you grab the latest translation patch and not the old one - http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1043/

Despite the name it has nothing to do, or make any reference to the son of God :P . It's a sci-fi adventure, and JESUS is the name of a space station.

Image Image


best name ever wrote:
Your not alone, many people get them confused.
A visual novel would be something like, Remember 11 or When They Cry. Where there's next to no interactivity and is literally written like a book, with sentences describing situations and everything (even though it has visuals).

Sadly, it has more or less become a de facto term in English based media to identify any Japanese adventure game. I've even seen old Japanese text parser games being labelled 'visual novels' :/

Author:  TechNoir [ Thu May 30, 2013 6:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

Holy hell, thanks for reminding about JESUS.

Author:  Gondefire33 [ Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

"Harvest" game similar to Snatcher funding now on Kickstarter!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... /harvest-0

Author:  Trickless [ Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

There's Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past for the Nintendo DS which isn't too bad, but often criticised for being easy and inferior to some of the other DS adventure games. It's part of a fairly prolific Japanese detective adventure series called Tantei Jinguji Saburo (探偵 神宮寺三郎), but this is the only game that has been localised/translated. (Note: Aksys had first released "Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles" which was a seriously cut down version of the Japanese original, a year later they re-released the game as "Memories of the Past" which retains everything).

There are 6 different stories to play through, all of which are pretty straightforward. The first 5 stories are ports of the mobile phone games -- the first 4 being remakes of the original Famicom games.

Image Image

Author:  hikage [ Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

If you are a fan of Chrono Trigger, you may like one of my favorite games, Radical Dreamers. It has a lot less gameplay than snatcher, but still shares some similarities in the sense that it's an adventure, similar to a visual novel, and requires a lot of reading, and you have to remember some things. It has a beautiful soundtrack and fantastic writing, the battle scenes are great.

Attachments:
rd-cats.gif
rd-cats.gif [ 7.19 KiB | Viewed 5121 times ]

Author:  TechNoir [ Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

Finished Famicom Detective Club Part 2, a really nice game. JESUS turned out to be quite annoying because I have to push on every option and go to every location possible to proceed.

Author:  TechNoir [ Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

Guys, are there any more detective-like quests? It's just very hard for me to play average game genres like FPS's, beat-'em-up's and fightings because of my very bad reaction (over 1000 ms, can't even beat a single mission in CoD in Very Easy difficulty). I kinda remember playing a CSI game which was pretty nice.

Author:  hikage [ Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

TechNoir wrote:
Guys, are there any more detective-like quests? It's just very hard for me to play average game genres like FPS's, beat-'em-up's and fightings because of my very bad reaction (over 1000 ms, can't even beat a single mission in CoD in Very Easy difficulty). I kinda remember playing a CSI game which was pretty nice.



Well, I'm sure you've heard of it since it's pretty popular, but the Ace Attorney series has quite a bit of detective work. I love all of them, it's definitely one of my favorite series. If you haven't played one, I strongly recommend it.

Author:  nickdaring [ Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

I've been thinking about finally trying the ace attorney series. Is there a recommended starting point?

Author:  hikage [ Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

nickdaring wrote:
I've been thinking about finally trying the ace attorney series. Is there a recommended starting point?


Definitely the first one, simply titled "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney". It's easy and gives you a grasp on the gameplay, and introduces you to the characters.

Author:  nickdaring [ Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:43 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

I'm a fan of Game Center CX but never knew about the games. Aparantly the second Retro Game Challenge has a Japanese Adventure game made in the classic style!

http://youtu.be/0lKWrXrNsw0?t=10m4s

Author:  AwesomeBrand [ Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

"Hotel Dusk: Room 215" and its sequel "Last Window: The Secret of Cape West" (the latter of which didnt get a US release, but a UK version should work fine) look alright, but I never played it, only watched a livestream or two.

Also the Phoenix Wright spinoff series "Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations" is good. While the 2nd hasn't been released outside of Japan a fan translation was finished when I wasn't lookin'!

Author:  drunkensailor [ Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

nickdaring wrote:
I really like Snatcher and had a lot of fun playing through Policenauts.

Can anybody recommend any other good games that are in a similar adventure game style?

the best one and one with very high producation values is virus for the sega saturn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWOlq03QU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Y-JpLf7mE

gives some idea. made by hudson and sega together.

also there is rise of the dragon for sega cd which is pretty good

Author:  Thepirategamerboy12 [ Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

A somewhat similar style game to Snatcher that I would recommend would be AKIRA for the Famicom. It's been fan translated, so check it out if you can, especially if you like the anime.

Author:  TechNoir [ Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

drunkensailor wrote:
the best one and one with very high producation values is virus for the sega saturn:

I take it it isn't still translated?

Author:  Qurcyuczy [ Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Other Snatcher style adventure games?

good games that are in a similar adventure game style?

gclub

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/