SNATCHER... The Spanish Translation? For Those Interested!

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

SNATCHER... The Spanish Translation? For Those Interested!

Post by AwesomeBrand »

So I'm checking out Romhacking.net since I like seeing what patches are being provided by the retro game modding community and suddenly I find something new that is Snatcher related. So I check it out aaaand...|
The fruits of my half-assed search. I don't speak alot of non-english but being the only other language I studied in highschool it intrigues me a little... then I see the screenshots and remembered that I didn't really learn/retain alot, and what words I do remember I can't recall what they mean. Oh well.
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
3lm4dn0

Re: SNATCHER... The Spanish Translation? For Those Intereste

Post by 3lm4dn0 »

Hi AwesomeBrand

I am one of the guys who are working with the translation. Basicly we want to translate the game to spanish for people who don't speak english can enjoy this great game.

The translation of the texts was really easy thanks to Mairtrus. He explain me some details about the binary files, how to change the offsets from its texts and provide me a new SUBCODE.BIN with new replaced chars like ñ, á, é...

The texts are inside the "SPXX.BIN" files and starts in 0x3800 offset. You can search his pointers in the code by "0xHHXXXX" where:
- XXXX is the number of chars in hexadecimal from the begining to first char on currently text minus 0x3800
- HH:
· 0x34 when is a menu text for selection.
· 0x36 when text is from nobody
· 0x432000YY when is a sentence from some character. YY represent the number in hexadecimal from the ordered list of characters in SUBCODE.BIN file.

When we start with the translation I created a CakePHP web project for manage this files and its texts in community. So people can translate the files (and change the character from sentences) easily in html forms. I also created a parser to generate and download the files with the translated texts in one click. Between the texts are some bytes that represent special chars like A button, start button, new page, new line or print texts in other color. So only we have to store this bytes and replace it with <n> where "n" is a number to identify its "special char".

There are some errors detected in the game which now can be fixed. For example:
- In file SP03.BIN the character from text number 216 is assigned to Jamie when in fact is Gillian.
- In file SP10.BIN the character from text number 22 is assigned to Gillian when in fact is Napoleon.

Currently, Mairtrus is working with the translation of the disk from the PC-8801 because the texts are fixed in sprites. He's also trying to remove censorship (eg Katrina in the shower).

The idea is to create one patch to remove censorship and other patch to translate the game. I uploaded an inicial web project in github, so everyone who wants can translate the texts easily to any language (or just change the texts). I hope can update soon the web project to import texts directly from binary SPXX.BIN files and create a howto basic installation.
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

Basicly we want to translate the game to spanish for people who don't speak english can enjoy this great game.
Um, but what about the cutscenes with voice?
The idea is to create one patch to remove censorship and other patch to translate the game. I uploaded an inicial web project in github, so everyone who wants can translate the texts easily to any language (or just change the texts).
Awesome.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
3lm4dn0

Post by 3lm4dn0 »

TechNoir wrote: Um, but what about the cutscenes with voice?
I'm afraid we can not do anything with the cutscenes :(. Maybe we record the cutscenes and we add them subtitles, but not in game.
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

Yep, and that's what's keeping us from PC-Engine & 32-bit Snatcher translations.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
3lm4dn0

Post by 3lm4dn0 »

Here you can take a look to uncensured captures in Sega CD Snatcher published by Mairtrus. He's making a good job.

By the way, I started to upload cutscenes with English (thanks to Slowbeef's review in lparchive for some transcriptions) and Spanish subtitles / captions to youtube:
  • Introduction
  • First scene in Act1.

A Link to the list of cutscenes in Act 1.1 HQ.
But I don't get what Metal Gear says in the next scene:
Spoiler:
When they find Jean's body and Metal analyzes some clues.

The attachment file and videos:
  • 1.2.5_investigate_body.srt
  • 1.2.6_investigate_hair.srt
  • 1.2.7_investigate_skin_sample.srt
  • 1.2.8_investigate_organic_compounds.srt
Here is attached the subtitles in a zip file. Could somebody help me to transcribe these scenes? Thanks :)
Attachments
act1_factory_subtitles.zip
subtitles/captions from some scenes in srt formta.
(2.63 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

I'm almost done with this, just about to tighten up some stuff since I don't exactly know how to spell the more science-y words
EDIT: Fixed up transcription, from missing words to overall errors. results in the attachment.
Attachments
act1_factory_subtitles.rar
Fixed up version of 3lm4dn0's transcription
(2.49 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
3lm4dn0

Post by 3lm4dn0 »

Thank you so much AwesomeBrand. I just updated the subtitles in these cutscenes. I really need to improve my listening!

Here is the list.