PC-88 vs. MSX Versions

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
nickdaring
J.U.N.K.E.R.

PC-88 vs. MSX Versions

Post by nickdaring »

I was thinking about finally playing the MSX version of Snatcher and started to wonder what differences there were between the PC-88 and MSX versions. I've always had trouble telling the screepcaps of the two games apart, but after checking the screencaps from http://www.mobygames.com/game/snatcher/screenshots the scren layout is slightly different.

The artwork appears to be exactly the the same pixel for pixel but the MSX version of the picture frame crops the left and right side of the image quite a bit.

Pc-88

MSX

PC-88

MSX

PC-88

MSX

PC-88

MSX

Kinda makes me wish there was a English translation for the PC-88 version. No artwork loss and it's the original version.

Has anybody here played through the PC-88 version? Any major differences other than the picture cropping issue?
snatcher1988
Runner

Re: PC-88 vs. MSX Versions

Post by snatcher1988 »

The long times are incredibly long on the MSX version.

The "Team Metalslave" logo is missing on the MSX version.

Some, if not all of the sound effects are different.The sound effect on the MSX version, whenever a shocking discovery made, is extremely loud, it scared the fucking shit out of me, the first time I played it. Make sure to have your speakers down most of the time.

The PC-88 version allows you to turn off the bleeps and boops when someone is talking by pushing the CAPS lock. This does not happen in the MSX version.

The PC-88 version came in 5 disks. One was the main one for disk drive 1, and the other four, were for disk drive 2, which would be different depending on the location in the game. The MSX version came in just three disks and a Sound Cartridge.

Some of the tracks exclusive to the MSX version, do not appear in any of the other versions.

In the PC-88 version, in the scene where Gillian and Metal discover the damaged Little John, there was a wide shot of Metal standing there, about to retrieve its "memory", just before we see a close-up of it. It was cut in all the other versions.
Spoiler:
The Cunningham Snatcher, before he dies, says "DASVIDANIYA, JUNKER!"; dasvidaniya meaning goodbye in Russian. The MSX spells it in Romaji, the PC-88 actually spells it in Russian.
nickdaring
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by nickdaring »

Thanks for the list! Perfect!

I was playing around with the max version the other day and was wondering if it was running correctly. It seemed to be going really slow. In your list you mention this. So this is normal?

I think I've got a screen cap of that extra frame of art that you mention. It was a big surprise when I stumbled across it. I'll post it up when I get back to my office.

Sounds like there are good aspects to both versions. It would be cool to see someone combine the elements and create the ultimate "msx-88" retro Snatcher.
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

I SWEAR it's slightly faster if you run it with the MSX Turbo bios but I've been told otherwise. meh, point is msx version so slow
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
nickdaring
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by nickdaring »

One thing that was nice was that I was running it in the blue msx emulator and it had a feature where you could speed up the system to different percentages. Makes it much nicer go through.