Snatcher HD remake/port? Why not?

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
pointofdeparture
Favorite Game: Snatcher
PSN: pointofdeparture
Xbox Live: ShakotanBoogie

Snatcher HD remake/port? Why not?

Post by pointofdeparture »

Hello all,

After just having finished Snatcher on Sega CD one more time, I've again realized just how sad it is that it never reached a wider audience. Kojima has hinted that he may be interested in a sequel, but it would have to sell 500k copies domestically...he also repeatedly says he would be interested in handing the project to a third party developer. It got me thinking, why has no development team tackled a port of Snatcher with minor upgrades for XBLA/PSN/Steam/what have you?

Kojima seems willing to give his blessing to another developer for something as ambitious as a sequel, so I'd think an upgraded port of the Sega CD version (let's face it, the PSX/Saturn graphics sucked) with either original or well-redrawn HD sprites would be something he'd authorize. Mild upgrades to the 2D graphics and interface could keep the project from being as intense as a 3D conversion. I'd think that it would be plausible to launch a Kickstarter for the effort if a team was found to develop it, as there is a sizeable cult following for the game. I'd think it would sell well at $9.99 with an emulated version of the Sega CD version thrown in as an unlockable.

Has anyone ever thought about doing this, or have any ideas about who would be willing to take the project on? I know it's crazy talk, but what a great game...
TechNoir
Runner
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Re: Snatcher HD remake/port? Why not?

Post by TechNoir »

I dunno, I don't really think Snatcher needs a wider audience, lol.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
LambertAdams
Kojima games owned: Policenauts,
Snatcher,
Metal Gear Solid 2,3
Zone of the Enders 2

Post by LambertAdams »

I don't know why people keep ignoring the legal problems with anything like this. Snatcher's IP is still owned entirely by Konami, and you can't pretend like it is abandonware, they are using it in stuff recently like Sdatcher and the Jamais Vu MGSV:GZ DLC. If you want any remake or sequel it will need to be approved by Konami, and they are much more likely to just issue a C&D. I don't think a Kickstarter with some random fans who tweet at Kojima will get legal backing, same with el_ash's work on this forum. The more likely scenario is for a Japanese developer friend of Kojima's to work on it through a partnership, like what happened with MGS Twin Snakes.

Then you have Jeff Lupetin, the VA for Gillian Seed, using that character in a Kickstarter game, again, with I assume no agreement from Konami on the use of their character for a commercial product. It's all really really foolish and naive.
GirianSeed573
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Policenauts
Kojima games owned: (PCE) Snatcher Pilot Disk
(PCE) Snatcher CD-ROMantic
(PS1) Policenauts
(PS1) Policenauts Private Collection
(PS1) Snatcher
(SAT) Snatcher
(SAT) Policenauts
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid (Digital, PSN)
(PS1) Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
(GBC) Metal Gear Solid (cartridge-only)
(PS2) Zone of the Enders
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
(PS2) The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
(PS2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
(GBA) boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand
(NGC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PSP) Metal Gear AC!D (UMD-only)
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (Digital, PSN)
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus
(PS2) Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid 4: Database
(iOS) Metal Gear Solid: Touch
(PSP) Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Limited Edition
(360) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(3DS) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
(PSV) Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Collection
(360) Zone of the Enders HD Collection Limited Edition
(PS3) Zone of the Enders HD Edition (JP, Digital, PSN)
(PS3) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (NA & JP)
(Win) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (NA & JP)
(360) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Digital, Xbox Live)
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
(PS3) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
(Win) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Post by GirianSeed573 »

LambertAdams wrote:I don't know why people keep ignoring the legal problems with anything like this. Snatcher's IP is still owned entirely by Konami, and you can't pretend like it is abandonware, they are using it in stuff recently like Sdatcher and the Jamais Vu MGSV:GZ DLC. If you want any remake or sequel it will need to be approved by Konami, and they are much more likely to just issue a C&D. I don't think a Kickstarter with some random fans who tweet at Kojima will get legal backing, same with el_ash's work on this forum. The more likely scenario is for a Japanese developer friend of Kojima's to work on it through a partnership, like what happened with MGS Twin Snakes.

Then you have Jeff Lupetin, the VA for Gillian Seed, using that character in a Kickstarter game, again, with I assume no agreement from Konami on the use of their character for a commercial product. It's all really really foolish and naive.
This pretty much sums it up.
「Желаю вам усцeхa!!
J・U・N・K・E・R・・・・」
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

why not send Konami phonecalls, letters, and tweets regarding a new Snatcher or even just a rerelease? It took a really long while but it sort of worked for Earthbound.
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
SnatcherMkII
Runner
Favorite Game: F-Zero GX
Kojima games owned: MGS - MGSV:TPP (plus VR Missions (PSN), Ghost Babel, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear Rising)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Post by SnatcherMkII »

Just because Earthbound got a Virtual Console release doesn't mean Snatcher might get so lucky. I doubt Konami would even care to re-release the game for US audience, even for a niche fanbase. People begged for Policenauts to be released on PSN, but you gotta remember, it hasn't been officially translated. And besides that, it's very unlikely it'll be seeing a PSone Import release since the game is story-oriented.