Interview with Jim Parks

A forum for discusion, suggestions and information on any Snatcher-related material. Music, games, versions, differences and references.

Also the space for feedback regarding the Snatcher Music Arrangements section by MrRudi.
NovaTheMighty
Favorite Game: Pokémon Silver
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 HD Remasters

Interview with Jim Parks

Post by NovaTheMighty »

Hello, fellow Junkers. In between filming a Lacrosse game for my high school, I managed to get in contact with Jim Parks (Random Hajile and Napoleon). I asked if he was willing to do an interview, and he agreed to do so. I sent him all of my questions, and he responded to them.

Here is the interview word for word.

Me: Do you remember which characters you played?
According to the credits, you voiced Random Hajile and Napoleon. Can you confirm or deny this, and if you voiced other characters, did you remember who?

Jim: Those two characters. We as a cast also made background voices or crowd noises. Sometimes a grunt or out-of-breath sound here and there.

Me: What was it like during the recording sessions? There was a photo of the cast that I included in this email? Which person were you on this photo?

Jim: It was enormously fun. As I remember we had two sessions over a couple of days. The other actors respected each other and we supported each others’ performances. We were sad when the sessions were over, because it was so much fun to “chew the scenery” as an animated character. I’m labeled B in the photo.

Me: Did you ever play Snatcher when it was finished?

Jim: Sorry to say, I didn’t. I’m not a gamer. I think the game was created in Japan, and we were giving the track American voices.

Me: Was there a moment in the story or the game as a whole which surprised you? made you feel emotional, was unexpected? A moment you would consider your favorite?

Jim: I remember doing a whole stretch of dialogue in an evil, scratchy voice. After hours of recording, the throat starts to get really sore.

Me: How did you get along with the rest of the cast, especially Jeff Lupetin? I know someone else got an interview with him, but I don't remember if he mentioned you?

Jim: WHAT?! He didn’t mention me!? We were pretty good friends, and both lived in Evanston, not too far from each other. I still live in Evanston, but I haven’t spoken with him in a while, so he might have moved away. I knew Ray Van Steen pretty well too. (C) He was older than the rest of us, kind of a legend in radio. I don’t think he’s with us any more. Nicest guy ever. I ran across him all the time at recording studios. To your question, we had a great time together, trying to make the best track possible.

Me: Who was your favorite character in game and why?

Jim: I’ve got nothin’ for ya here, other than the characters I
played I like the best!

Me: Did you voice any other characters in any other video games?

Jim: I did a lot of background voices for another game, but I don’t remember the name. Not as much fun as Snatchers.

Me: What did you do in the entertainment and arts industry before and after Snatcher?

Jim: I was a busy voice-over guy for over 20 years, doing voices for radio and TV commercials mostly, but also a lot of video training, corporate videos, etc. previously I was theater actor, having been a some significant Chicago productions. Later I became the on-camera host of “New Spaces” on HGTV. It aired for 10 years.

Me: Do you know what happened to the rest of the cast after the recording sessions?

Jim: Lost contact with everybody.

Me: Were you ever aware of the Playstation and Sega Saturn remakes that were Japan only, or the versions made before the Sega CD port?

Jim: No.

Me: Do you think that this game should be remade, even though Hideo Kojima's seperation from Konami basically ensures that will never happen?

Jim: I suppose that as the technology progresses, old games could be re-visioned into more sophisticated versions at any time.

Me: If you have never played the game before, and when I am out of school, would you do a commentary as I played through the game for YouTube or Twitch?

Jim: Uhhh…I’m pretty busy.

I would love to extend my sincerest thanks to Jim Parks for taking the time out of his day to answer my questions.
Attachments
A picture from the Snatcher recording session. Jim Parks is labled B.
A picture from the Snatcher recording session. Jim Parks is labled B.
powderehss
Favorite Game: Policenauts <3
Kojima games owned: MGS HD Collection, ZOE HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Peace Walker

Re: Interview with Jim Parks

Post by powderehss »

Oh wow! This is so cool! It warms my heart to see folks getting to chat with the Snatcher cast. I hope someday I will too <3
Thank you, Nova! :D

I can't wait to read the full thing tomorrow ^^
(Sorry, I really gotta sleep soon it's 4:30AM for me lol)
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Thanks for sharing this! Awesome
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
JimShea
Favorite Game: SNATCHERS, Suikoden
Kojima games owned: Snatchers *duh*, Metal Gear Solid 1-4
Xbox Live: SLjimbolian

Post by JimShea »

Awesome dude! I'm working on doing the same for the entire cast, but this will help me interviewing Jeff L. aka Gillian Seed!