View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Snatcher Mega CD 

Post Snatcher Mega CD
Hi All

New to the forum but been a hideo fan for some time playing through all the MG series. I recently played through both snatcher and policenauts and decided I wanted to buy a real copy of snatcher for the mega cd. I have got one at a cheap price but it is the disc only. I was wondering if it could be fake. It looks very real and the disc image is pressed and it has all the barcodes etc. Can anyone reassure me that its real. Also there is a really weird zig zag line on the data side. I've taken the best picture possible of this, I thought it might of been a scratch but it doesn't feel like it on either side.

Attachments:
$_12.jpg
$_12.jpg [ 26.16 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
$_121.jpg
$_121.jpg [ 10.47 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
$_12.jpg
$_12.jpg [ 34.48 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
$_121.jpg
$_121.jpg [ 23.89 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG [ 669.57 KiB | Viewed 1005 times ]
Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:25 am
Major

Post Re: Snatcher Mega CD
I'm not really an expert (I don't have a copy of the Mega CD ver), but it looks legit at a glance...

There is a TON of merch images from Artemio's collection here at JHQ : http://junkerhq.net/Snatcher/mcdimages.html

Image from link above

Attachments:
CD.jpg
CD.jpg [ 32.33 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:28 pm

I've read that real Sega CD games have copy protection against being ripped in 2048 mode, so you could try that with something like TurboRip.

Just from looking at it though, I'd bet it's real. The printed side is shiny, both sides have a code on the inner-most ring, and as you said it's a pressed disc. You've tested it, right? If you don't own a Mega CD, you could put it in your computer and see if it will run in an emulator like KEGA Fusion (it'll work if it's real).

Where'd you get it and how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks guys, Yea I think I was just being paranoid reading about how much they get faked but looking at the disc it would have to be the best ever fake. I only asked as it came with no case or manual but I brought a repo case. I paid £220 on eBay for this with a MD and MCD model 1 with ecco, road avenger, the double sol game, tom cat alley and a few others so think I got a bargain really. I played it on the mega cd 2 I already have as the MCD1 is known to have a few issues with the cd drives so didn't want to risk it.

Going to have to play through it all via a mega cd as the mark on the disc is really weird and I need to see if it affects the game play. Its not a scratch or laser burn either nor disc rot but fingers crossed its all good. Thanks guys

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:11 am
Second Lieutenant

Mr357 wrote:
I've read that real Sega CD games have copy protection against being ripped in 2048 mode, so you could try that with something like TurboRip.
That's not true. The Sega CD/Mega CD has zero copy protection.
I've ripped official games at 2048mode (even with Turbo Rip) and there is no problems.

Anyways, someone should compare serial codes on the disc in this image with one they know is real.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:09 am

best name ever wrote:
Mr357 wrote:
That's not true. The Sega CD/Mega CD has zero copy protection.
I've ripped official games at 2048mode (even with Turbo Rip) and there is no problems.

Anyways, someone should compare serial codes on the disc in this image with one they know is real.

Which ones the serial code ? will that be the barcode or the numbers on the disc.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:16 am
Second Lieutenant

RickB89 wrote:
barcode or the numbers on the disc.

Talking about the the code on the ring of the disc on the 4th attachment.
They should match with other people's Mega CD copy.

However, personally, I think this disc looks legit.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 am

best name ever wrote:
RickB89 wrote:
barcode or the numbers on the disc.

Talking about the the code on the ring of the disc on the 4th attachment.
They should match with other people's Mega CD copy.

However, personally, I think this disc looks legit.

Ahh I get ya, Thank mate. Looked all over and it seems all good so think I've got a legit one. Just need to find a proper case and manual now (Needle in a haystack) comes to mind lol

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:55 am

Since we're already on the topic, does anyone else agree that this NA copy looks fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snatcher-Sega-CD-1994-/111908180609?hash=item1a0e3f5281:g:sFQAAOSwezVWxNQA

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:23 am
Second Lieutenant

It's hard to tell if his camera is blowing out the contrast (hiding details, distorting colors) but it looks fake (at least the disc).
There is no ring around the disc (upper and lower) and the CD label has the wrong colors...Also, he says the disc is scratch free, which makes me think this is a freshly pressed disc.

I can easily see bootlegs for CD based video games (on systems with no copy protection) catching on in the ebay scene.

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:22 pm

When I was checking mine I searched all over the net but found that the only fake and repro ones over here are pretty fake. The link is to a repro website I was thinking to buy this just for a back up and a new case but the guys website is printed on the case and manual but they both look pretty good. The disc mind you is pretty bad but they're not asking stupid prices. Mind you correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure this is pretty illegal

It seems though there's a lot of fake NTSC ones out there and they are getting a bit better at replicating them

Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:16 am
Second Lieutenant

Don't support bootleggers, period (that's my motto).
If you want a backup, make one yourself (burn with quality CD-R).

Do the above, or play on an emulator like Genesis Plus GX (Wii) which can display on a CRT in the original Sega CD resolution (plus, you can use Component video).

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:23 am

best name ever wrote:
Don't support bootleggers, period (that's my motto).
If you want a backup, make one yourself (burn with quality CD-R).

Do the above, or play on an emulator like Genesis Plus GX (Wii) which can display on a CRT in the original Sega CD resolution (plus, you can use Component video).

Yea to be honest I've already just printed out case inlays just to keep the disc in a nice looking case until one comes up for sale and already got a copy in the case as well. was a couple quid for the mega cd blank case so saved myself a good £18.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 am

RickB89 wrote:
Thanks guys, Yea I think I was just being paranoid reading about how much they get faked but looking at the disc it would have to be the best ever fake. I only asked as it came with no case or manual but I brought a repo case. I paid £220 on eBay for this with a MD and MCD model 1 with ecco, road avenger, the double sol game, tom cat alley and a few others so think I got a bargain really. I played it on the mega cd 2 I already have as the MCD1 is known to have a few issues with the cd drives so didn't want to risk it.

Going to have to play through it all via a mega cd as the mark on the disc is really weird and I need to see if it affects the game play. Its not a scratch or laser burn either nor disc rot but fingers crossed its all good. Thanks guys

there are no fakes or frauds ever seen in the history of ebay regarding this game. stop spreading all this bullshit (I read this bullshit in every forum I think).

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:03 am

drunkensailor wrote:
RickB89 wrote:

there are no fakes or frauds ever seen in the history of ebay regarding this game. stop spreading all this bullshit (I read this bullshit in every forum I think).

Like I said I was looking about it on other forums and couldn't get a definate answer which is why I came to this forum (more people here know what they're talking about) I had no intention to spread bullshit I was just asking for an opinion.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:59 am

What the fuck is with all these Snatcher listings on eBay? When I bought mine not even 2 months ago, it was literally the first one I'd seen in at least 3 weeks, and I got it CiB for $410.

As of my posting this there's 8 copies listed not counting the Konami sample disc. 5 are North American CiB, 2 are NA disc only, and 1 is a European CiB. From what I've seen, the price in the last 6 months has jumped from about $350 to 500.

Are all of these listings even legit? I must admit I've noticed a substantial increase in interest since the start of 2016.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... +cd&_frs=1

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Mr357 wrote:
What the fuck is with all these Snatcher listings on eBay? When I bought mine not even 2 months ago, it was literally the first one I'd seen in at least 3 weeks, and I got it CiB for $410.

As of my posting this there's 8 copies listed not counting the Konami sample disc. 5 are North American CiB, 2 are NA disc only, and 1 is a European CiB. From what I've seen, the price in the last 6 months has jumped from about $350 to 500.

Are all of these listings even legit? I must admit I've noticed a substantial increase in interest since the start of 2016.

Same here on the uk scene . Loads now on eBay average around £250. That sampler though is definately on the wrong site. Not sure your going to find someone willing to pay that on eBay.

It's strange but might have something to do with konami and kojimas split and just the fact retro gaming seems to have taken an interest all of a sudden this year. Not just the likes of snatcher but others too. I mean have you seen the price of the terminator for mega cd on eBay uk. It's insane !

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:25 am

Mr357 wrote:

Could be a combination of things but I suspect that there are some fakes floating around since there were a lot of blanks with the Snatcher artwork printed on them for sale on Ebay for a while. Also, with prices getting as high as they are now there's probably a good amount of people looking to cash in. Personally, I wouldn't sell my copy even it got up to $1,000. It's my favorite game of all time so it would be the last piece of my collection to go.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:52 am
Major

RyuHayabusa wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't sell my copy even it got up to $1,000. It's my favorite game of all time so it would be the last piece of my collection to go.

I'm right there with you...There is NO WAY IN HELL I'm ever parting with it! [-X

*I purchased mine from Electronics Boutique when the game came out in 1994 (almost 22 years ago)*

Mr357 wrote:
Since we're already on the topic, does anyone else agree that this NA copy looks fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snatcher-Sega-CD-1994-/111908180609?hash=item1a0e3f5281:g:sFQAAOSwezVWxNQA

The disc does tend to look fake if you are looking at the back of it from any distance like those ebay pics...
If you look closer and you can see the print from the front barely showing through (zoom in on the pic)

I just checked my copy, and it is really hard to see the printing around the inner ring on the front from the back unless you are literally "face to face" with it. :mrgreen:

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm dead. This guy isn't even trying. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snatcher-Sega-C ... SwzgRWymix

Screenshot in case it gets taken down, which it will.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Mr357 wrote:
I'm dead. This guy isn't even trying. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snatcher-Sega-C ... SwzgRWymix

So is this the first fake in eBay history ?. Seeing as I was told these are never faked lol. End of the day if an item has value and can be replicated one way or another it will be out there.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:23 am
Major

Mr357 wrote:

If you actually read what I'd call the "fine print" down the page of the sale he does mention that its a "reproduction" aka probably a "burned" copy of the original...
Which is so totally obvious it's fucking ridiculous, as the case is different, and the artwork covers most of the disc lol! That manual looks nearly legit though hehehe.

Quote:
Works 100%. Reproduction. I have played this copy all the way through. Includes case, manual, and disc. No scratches. Everything in mint condition.

I'm not sure what eBay's policy is on such things (?), but its pretty shady / shitty of the guy without a doubt!

*image added for proof* (the red line is mine from MS Paint lol!)

Attachments:
repro.jpg
repro.jpg [ 187.4 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 am

el_ash wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

If you actually read what I'd call the "fine print" down the page of the sale he does mention that its a "reproduction" aka probably a "burned" copy of the original...
Which is so totally obvious it's fucking ridiculous, as the case is different, and the artwork covers most of the disc lol! That manual looks nearly legit though hehehe.

Quote:
Works 100%. Reproduction. I have played this copy all the way through. Includes case, manual, and disc. No scratches. Everything in mint condition.

I'm not sure what eBay's policy is on such things (?), but its pretty shady / shitty of the guy without a doubt!

*image added for proof* (the red line is mine from MS Paint lol!)

Surely it's illegal. I would've thought the only people to be able to make a reproduction and sell it for a profit would be konami

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:50 am

I noticed the description after I posted. It's still illegal, and that guy is a massive scumbag for not putting it in the title.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:15 pm
Major

Mr357 wrote:
I noticed the description after I posted. It's still illegal, and that guy is a massive scumbag for not putting it in the title.

Indeed this guy is a massive scumbag...Have you reported the guy to ebay?

Let's get this fake bullshit taken down, so that he doesn't fool some new Kojima / Snatcher fan! :mrgreen:

Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next