View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Saturn patch is up (11/29/16: 1.0.1 update available) 

Post Re: Saturn patch is up
Marc wrote:
It's transgeneder, with an extra e. It is a term that's unique to the game.

The Saturn version is the accurate translation of the two. The Japanese dialogue is the same. I wasn't experienced at all when I translated the game originally and thought given Jonathan's extreme attitude towards women those would be the natural things for him to say. But it wasn't for me to insert that kind of dialogue.

Being my first translation it was like a kid and his first car - he's all pumped up and raring to go, but he makes a mistake somewhere, and he thinks he knows best.

So pretty much two thirds of the dialogue in that scene was made up by you and not in the original text? I noticed that the Saturn dialogue is considerably shorter. Hate to think it was sanitized due to political correctness.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:19 am
General

Star1 wrote:
I did write down a couple of grammatical errors (at least I think they were), but I seem to have misplaced the note..

Let me know if you discover the note. You may find a few intentional errors, such as in the way that Jonathan speaks. But there shouldn't be any beyond that (at least I hope not).

RyuHayabusa wrote:
Marc wrote:
It's transgeneder, with an extra e. It is a term that's unique to the game.

The Saturn version is the accurate translation of the two. The Japanese dialogue is the same. I wasn't experienced at all when I translated the game originally and thought given Jonathan's extreme attitude towards women those would be the natural things for him to say. But it wasn't for me to insert that kind of dialogue.

Being my first translation it was like a kid and his first car - he's all pumped up and raring to go, but he makes a mistake somewhere, and he thinks he knows best.

So pretty much two thirds of the dialogue in that scene was made up by you and not in the original text? I noticed that the Saturn dialogue is considerably shorter. Hate to think it was sanitized due to political correctness.

There are some differences, as you can see above, but it's not considerably shorter or two-thirds different. And no, it wasn't changed because of political correctness.

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:04 pm

I couldn't help but notice that at the beginning of Act 3, when
Spoiler:
Gates chews out Jonathan and Ed, he says "You have reduced us to a shambles!" Was this a grammatical error, or a reference to the line in Snatcher when Gillian and Metal find that Gibson's study has been ransacked?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 pm
General

Mr357 wrote:
I couldn't help but notice that at the beginning of Act 3, when
Spoiler:
Gates chews out Jonathan and Ed, he says "You have reduced us to a shambles!" Was this a grammatical error, or a reference to the line in Snatcher when Gillian and Metal find that Gibson's study has been ransacked?

Neither. It's just a line. :)

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:09 am

To my astonishment, it seems that that is actually grammatically correct! I can't get over how awkward it sounds though.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks so much for your devotion to this game. It's been just about long enough from playing the PSX translation that I've been craving having another go at the game. Hopefully my memory is still good enough to catch the additional characters and dialogue that were reinserted from the PC-98 to the Saturn version originally.

Have to say with the translation of Suda51's The Silver Case having been released recently and now having this on my plate. I'm going to be quite happy over the holiday season!

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 pm

I also wanted to devote my first post to thanking you guys for translating this. I watched a short documentary piece on YouTube detailing your journey on this project, with its many technical, political and personal hurdles, and, needless to say, it looks like it was a daunting process, and, at times, an ordeal. Both your PlayStation and Saturn releases are masterpieces that live up to the game. I especially appreciate the attention to medical jargon and space history. Once more, thank you very much. I really, really enjoyed the experience. 10/10!

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:48 am

RandomHajile wrote:
I also wanted to devote my first post to thanking you guys for translating this. I watched a short documentary piece on YouTube detailing your journey on this project, with its many technical, political and personal hurdles, and, needless to say, it looks like it was a daunting process, and, at times, an ordeal. Both your PlayStation and Saturn releases are masterpieces that live up to the game. I especially appreciate the attention to medical jargon and space history. Once more, thank you very much. I really, really enjoyed the experience. 10/10!

Could you please share the link to this documentary? I'd love to view that as well.

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:30 pm
Second Lieutenant

I believe he is talking about the old RetroWare retrospective.
https://youtu.be/YBfWUMDqVbg

Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

StreetTrash wrote:
RandomHajile wrote:

Could you please share the link to this documentary? I'd love to view that as well.

Hey there, best name ever already linked it, but in case you didn't get a notification, I can confirm it is indeed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBfWUMDqVbg

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:27 am

Thanks guys. I found it after a bit of searching. Couldn't edit my post however.

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Is there an ETA for the updated Saturn patch that Marc mentioned on the previous page? I'm gonna play Policenauts on real Saturn hardware, so I'd rather just wait for the revised patch if I can help it. Saves me from having to patch the game again.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:39 pm
General

David K wrote:
Is there an ETA for the updated Saturn patch that Marc mentioned on the previous page? I'm gonna play Policenauts on real Saturn hardware, so I'd rather just wait for the revised patch if I can help it. Saves me from having to patch the game again.

We've been waiting to see if there were any more typos or issues, but it seems like that's it (that one typo mentioned on the previous page). So we should be able to have the updated patch ready in the next day or two.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:49 pm
General

Okay, here she is: http://policenauts.net/english/patches.html

As mentioned, this corrects that typo in Act 2. 1.0 saves will still work.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Post Re: Saturn patch is up (11/29/16: 1.0.1 update available)
Cheers Marc for getting the updated patch up. Really looking forward to playing through Policenauts again, this time with the Virtua Gun for a more authentic experience (but not with the Shuttle Mouse, sadly). It's crazy to think that it has already been seven years since the Playstation patch was released! How time flies...

By the way, what is on disc 3 exactly? I'm guessing that all of the game is on the first two discs like the Playstation version, and that the third disc has some kind of bonus content. I went to check for myself but, when I loaded disc 3, a graphic came up asking me to insert disc 1. I'm guessing that this isn't the normal behaviour, but I've looked online for information on the third disc and I can't seem to find anything.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:21 pm
General

David K wrote:
Cheers Marc for getting the updated patch up. Really looking forward to playing through Policenauts again, this time with the Virtua Gun for a more authentic experience (but not with the Shuttle Mouse, sadly). It's crazy to think that it has already been seven years since the Playstation patch was released! How time flies...

By the way, what is on disc 3 exactly? I'm guessing that all of the game is on the first two discs like the Playstation version, and that the third disc has some kind of bonus content. I went to check for myself but, when I loaded disc 3, a graphic came up asking me to insert disc 1. I'm guessing that this isn't the normal behaviour, but I've looked online for information on the third disc and I can't seem to find anything.

Yes indeed! Seven years already.

There is bonus content, but they put it on disc 1 (available after completing the game), so there's an additional disc swap at the end of the prologue. The third disc contains what's on disc 2 of the PlayStation version.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:30 pm

I am playing this on burned discs on a modded saturn with the pro-action replay cart (I can't remember which between the mod chip and the cart allows burned games vs allows imports). Will I have any potential trouble changing to disc 2? The only multi-disc Saturn game I remember was PDS which I played years ago.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:13 pm

nights1000 wrote:
I am playing this on burned discs on a modded saturn with the pro-action replay cart (I can't remember which between the mod chip and the cart allows burned games vs allows imports). Will I have any potential trouble changing to disc 2? The only multi-disc Saturn game I remember was PDS which I played years ago.

You shouldn't have any trouble. I played it the exact same way. The mod chip bypasses the read security, and the cart bypasses the region coding.

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 pm

Mr357 wrote:
nights1000 wrote:

You shouldn't have any trouble. I played it the exact same way. The mod chip bypasses the read security, and the cart bypasses the region coding.

update: no issue starting up disc 2.

Anyone else surprised by the graphics? How does the PS version compare graphics-wise?

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:39 pm

nights1000 wrote:
update: no issue starting up disc 2.

Anyone else surprised by the graphics? How does the PS version compare graphics-wise?

Well, the two main points of contention are the FMVs and the Highway sequence. The FMV's have a higher framerate (24 FPS), but are encoded with a lossier compression (TrueMotion's Duck, a Saturn standard). This causes more artifacts that in the PSX version (which uses a MJPEG derivative).

As for the highway sequence, maybe not everyone will notice this, but the backgrounds's resolution in Saturn's action sequences has been halved from 256x128 to 128x128.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:59 pm

In regards the graphics, I actually meant to say that I find them to be very smooth/enjoyable. And surprised at times that I'm playing a Saturn. Though maybe I just haven't played it enough in the last few years to remember its capabilities. I guess most of my go-to stuff was polygon based now that I think about it; especially considering the lack of games like Policenauts released in the US. On that note, I only played Magic Knight Rayearth for 30 minutes, which is the only thing featuring extended animation scenes that seem anywhere comparable.
And I remember firing up Dinosaur Island for a few minutes just to look at it.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 am

xDerekRx wrote:
What a surprise! Wasn't expecting this today!

Will definitely play it this weekend!

Anyone willing to do a US cover and back art? Would love to make up an original sized US case for it :)

xDerekRx, here are some US cover designs I've just finished...

POLICENAUTS - "Hypothetically Accurate" - US English Release (based on cancelled release mock-up):
A huge shout out and thanks goes to Londonbeckett, who sent me the hi-res scan of the mech suit from his official art book!

HERE is a more modern idea I had... (Policenauts.net should be credited as the artwork comes from their wallpaper):

HERE is version based on the Japanese Saturn Special Limited Edition:

Please let me know what you folks think. I would be happy to upload the art files so people can make their own repros!
I also shared these with folks on the Facebook Group Sega Saturn Forum

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Fantastic!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2