The Abyss

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

The Abyss

Post by Rick Deckard »

Well I've just given the Special Edition of this a whack, primarily on the strength of both Terminators and Aliens - James Cameron certainly knows how to do both decent action and decent thriller, and this was no exception, being as it was jolly good all in all. I probably wouldn't have gone for the longer version given the choice - I think if a film's going to be pushing three hours, it's got to be *really* special, but this didn't seem to lag at all, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Nice, simple story, lots of tension and really interesting direction. Although I wasn't too keen on Michael Biehn's moustache.

Of course, the ending was a bit of surprise - wasn't expecting a non-too-subtle blast of political/social comment considering what had come before had been simple, quality science fiction, but it was admittedly quite an interesting way to end the film. I had been hoping the aliens were a pre-death hallucination, really... And I loved the line "Howdy. How you fellas doing?"

So if you've got 170 minutes to waste and you feel like some tense, moody science fiction, give it a go. I had been in the mood for something lengthy, and this was perfect. Very engrossing.

There's not a lot of point to this, really. I'll try not to start a thread every time I watch something and quite like it...
Jonathan Ingram
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

I shouldn't worry about it, this'll probably become some sort of new tradition whereby people post reviews of films. Then we can review the reviews, with no reference to the films and remove art from criticism in one hermetically sealed internet-based world. Maybe.
"But nothing is permanent... only change"