Phantasmagoria (Nobuo's album)

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Phantasmagoria (Nobuo's album)

Post by ShinjiPG »

Most of you already know who Nobuo Uematsu is, and some probably already heard this album: Phantasmagoria. I think it's the only album he made by and for himself (except for one of the tracks) and it is so different from his FF works. I like all of his works, but this one seems extremely personal and touching. Some of the tracks are simply amazing, like the first one.

Actually, the first track was the first I ever heard, when a friend of mine sent it to me a long time ago. "Rainy Day, Children" (or "Ame no Hi", originally). I was kind of addicted to the song for a while. It has such a unique mood... Something in the vein of ICO or SotC OSTs, but with lots of synthesizer.

Anyway, I recently "grabbed" the album and could finaly listen to this masterpiece. Some of the (other) tracks I really like are Angel Hands, Revival of A Tender Experience and Mirrors.
Here's the wikipage of the album, for some more info. You can "grab" it on some hotel in Galbadia. Or maybe buy it from cdjapan.co.jp, only place I found that has it (yeasia doesn't have). It's a bit expensive, given the release date, but it's well worth it.

By the way, most of the tracks are only instrumental, but some contain speeches in japanese that add meaning to the mood of the song. I couldn't find any translations on the net (and neither the original lyrics), but I get some of the things they say (however poor my japanese may be xD).
But since I like "Ame no Hi" so much, I did a romanization of what I could hear. Yeah, it's kind of shitty, but it's useful to... sing-along? xD

*Ame no hi
Kodomotachi wa
Natsukashi sou ni
Dekitai ni tsutsumikomareta sekai wo miru

Madobe ni motareta mama unto mo sunto mo iwanai de
Chikai kako no kyoko yobimodo sotto
Umarete hajimete no gakushiyo kokoro miru

Are wa hitsu no hi
Bokura ga mada mizu no naka ni (...)
Yukuri, yukuri, yukuri

Soko kara
Ikizurinasarete
Atarashi sekai to bokura wa (...)

Ame ga agaru
To kodomotachi wa mou gakushiyo wasurete
Taiyou ni wo (...)

Chodou ano hi
Mizu no sekai kara
Atarashi sekai e tobidashite toki ni
Niteiru

*Repeat

Note: (...) is where I couldn't understand a word of what he's saying, lol.

Anyway, in the first paragraph he'se saying that it is a rainy day and that the children see the world with nostalgic feelings... something like that >_>
Then a little further he says the rain stopped、and so the children forget and... ok, let's stop here, lol.
Well, my dumb attempt at japanese still gives me some information about the speech/poem and I think it matches quite well with the instrumental part.

But main point is, if you haven't listen to this album yet, please give it a try. You're missing something great!
Last edited by ShinjiPG on Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Downloading now, I'll let you know what I think of it, later.