View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:10 am



Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Fucking Oscars... AND FUCK BABEL! 
Author Message
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am
Posts: 573
Location: Busted Kiddy Pool In The Front Yard
Reply with quote
Post Fucking Oscars... AND FUCK BABEL!
I've had it with the fucking Academy Awards. Although I know Marty is going to win an Oscar finally for "Best Director" (possibly/possibly not since Clint Eastwood is Hollywood's Golden Boy).

Anyways... this topic is directed at Babel -which is going up amongst other "GREATER" movies for Best Picture later today. And well Holy shit, BABEL is one of the most boring pieces of shit on earth. But of course I mean I'm open - I love alot of "wee wee" French movies about family quilts and talking cars, but if this wins Best Picture I'm gonna shit all over someone's lawn tomorrow. TWICE.

Image

This movie is only getting attention because it has shit sucker Pitt in it, and it's about him saving Mexican children in Africa or some shit with a bunch of Japanese pirates (which one could only hope this movie was really about).

Fucking Babel, I swear if Brad Pitt and Jolie did a movie about a couple which abducts and molests children with a school bus it'd get an Oscar.

Image
THE MOVIE WOULD be called BUS


Brad Pitt on "Bus" wrote:
You see it's about a school bus and shit, and I like abduct kids with it -but the story is really about my struggle to fight cancer and solve world peace at the same time while abducting and molesting kids, so it works out.

_________________
Image


Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:33 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
Yeah, Babel looks shitty to me too, I won't be watching it if it wins best picture or not anyway, doesn't interest me at all.


Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post 
Lol, this post really got me angry.
Did any of you watch Babel, actually? If you did and you still say these things, gtfo.

"This movie is only getting attention because it has shit sucker Pitt in it, and it's about him saving Mexican children in Africa or some shit with a bunch of Japanese pirates (which one could only hope this movie was really about). "

Sorry, you're the dumbest person here ^^;
Brad Pitt's character is in Marocco, which is in North Africa, with is wife. Pitt's wife is Cate Blanchet and she has been shot by two Marocco kids, who were trying the new gun their dad got. Because of that, Pitt and Cate can't go back to the USA, so their kid's nanny has to take them to her son's wedding, because she was supposed to have the day off, but shit happened in Marocco. And the gun the Marocco kids got was given to another Marocco man by a Japanese man while he was there hunting. That first man sold it to the Marocco kids father. And in Japan, the man-who-gave-the-gun's daughter is deaf-mute and is having a hard time struggling through adolescence while her father neglects her (and her mother is dead).

I hope I installed some confusion on your heads, because this story works best on film than written, and to prove that Iñarritu made one of his greatest films. Despite only having other 2, 21 Grams and Amores Perros.

And I don't know why Brad Pitt would be the center of attention here. He plays a MINOR role in the movie, like the rest of the cast. He isn't even fucking nominated for any Oscar at all.
God help this thread get deleted :P

But first, go watch the movie. Seriously, go.

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:33 am
Posts: 2942
Location: Mexico
Reply with quote
Post 
I did like Babel quite a lot as well, I have the HD-DVD here and just watched it again yesterday. It is true I liked The Departed more, and I also believe it is more tuned to the mainstream tastes.

But Babel is a great movie on it's own. I agree it has lengthy sequences, and those are from Pitt's segment of the story, but they are intended to be that way.. to communicate that sense to the audience.

And man, I loved how they put Tijuana on film, and specifically that part of Tijuana. Of course tons of people are going to say that it is offensive to Mexicans, but being Mexican myself I don't feel that way at all.

It does great at showing the problems of communication between these four cultures, based on stupid predefined ideas by each and stereotyped we create ourselves. I loved the music as well.

_________________
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]


Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
Looks too much like all of those other interwining stories in certain films; Crash, Memento, Magnolia.

Yawn. It's not for everybody, those films aside from Memento, bored the life out of me, I doubt this will be any better...


Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post 
Henry Spencer wrote:
Looks too much like all of those other interwining stories in certain films; Crash, Memento, Magnolia.

Yawn. It's not for everybody, those films aside from Memento, bored the life out of me, I doubt this will be any better...


Hm, isn't Memento's plot presented in reversed chronology? I didn't watch that movie mysefl, it's just what I was told.
Anyway, I find that "interwining stories" editing quite interesting, at least if well applied, as is the case in Iñarritu's movies. It can bring so much more out of each scene and give it meanings you would only find when folowed by a specific different scene. It erases the sense of plot or narrative to an extent that makes you more aware of the emotions and dilemmas the director is trying to show you.
It's not the fact that people don't like the movie that angries me, it's just those stupid pre-conceptions made because Pitt's one of the actors. Gimme a break... Most of the rest of the cast is quite unknown and delivers it much better than Pitt. Not that he is a bad actor, either.

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
Yeah, I'm not whining about Pitt being a bad actor, which he isn't, he proved that to me with Fight Club, but anyways, I just find most of the 'interwining editing' so cliche and boring, but that's just me. Just saying it definitely is not for everybody, and is next to Dreamgirls to me, for hoping it does NOT win many oscars.


Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post 
Dreamgirls... That's a film I'm curious to see why it got so many nominations and awards. Unfortunately the release date in my country is two weeks away, so I'll have to wait after the Oscars. I really just want to see it because of all the critics, not that I'm particulary interested in the rest. But we'll see...
Oh well, I'm leaving for my friend's house to watch the ceremony. I think it's the first time I watch one of these xD Hope it's fun.

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am
Posts: 573
Location: Busted Kiddy Pool In The Front Yard
Reply with quote
Post 
ShinjiPG wrote:
Lol, this post really got me angry.
Did any of you watch Babel, actually? If you did and you still say these things, gtfo.

"This movie is only getting attention because it has shit sucker Pitt in it, and it's about him saving Mexican children in Africa or some shit with a bunch of Japanese pirates (which one could only hope this movie was really about). "

Sorry, you're the dumbest person here ^^;
Brad Pitt's character is in Marocco, which is in North Africa, with is wife. Pitt's wife is Cate Blanchet and she has been shot by two Marocco kids, who were trying the new gun their dad got. Because of that, Pitt and Cate can't go back to the USA, so their kid's nanny has to take them to her son's wedding, because she was supposed to have the day off, but shit happened in Marocco. And the gun the Marocco kids got was given to another Marocco man by a Japanese man while he was there hunting. That first man sold it to the Marocco kids father. And in Japan, the man-who-gave-the-gun's daughter is deaf-mute and is having a hard time struggling through adolescence while her father neglects her (and her mother is dead).

I hope I installed some confusion on your heads, because this story works best on film than written, and to prove that Iñarritu made one of his greatest films. Despite only having other 2, 21 Grams and Amores Perros.

And I don't know why Brad Pitt would be the center of attention here. He plays a MINOR role in the movie, like the rest of the cast. He isn't even fucking nominated for any Oscar at all.
God help this thread get deleted :P

But first, go watch the movie. Seriously, go.


HAHAAHAHAHAA, I thought that up to that point in the post you would've realized this was a joke thread. ^_^ I wasn't really being serious.

Although I really thought Babel wasn't "that" half bad (great cinematography), I just couldn't see any value in it, compared to the other movies which it was going up against. (But then again the Oscars suck, too. Then again though, this year, they finally gave some people and movies justice.)

So altogether though, and honestly, it didn't catch my attention too well -and this is not due to it's dramatic and slow pace -but that I couldn't really relate to, or admire many, and or any of the characters. And personally as a big movie goer, writer, actor, and director myself it's just one of those important things you know.

_________________
Image


Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:58 am
Posts: 179
Location: Portugal
Reply with quote
Post 
Snake Plissken wrote:
HAHAAHAHAHAA, I thought that up to that point in the post you would've realized this was a joke thread. ^_^ I wasn't really being serious.


Oh, I see this gives you some kind of kick :O

Anyway, that is indeed a bit personal. If you are what you say you were, it's kind of odd you didn't find some of the things Babel presented kind of interesting. At least the overall message, which I think is quite proper for every human being to relate with :P
I'm a film student and (hopefuly) future shitty director, but me and some of the most brilliant students in my course (from which I exclude myself xD) find Babel amazing and a worthy winner. But the thing is, I guess if I was a medicine student, I would still like the film (it's funny that I have 3 friends in medicine that loved it). So it's not just about who's more competent in the field, because most good films slap their message in anyone's face. Some people, it seems, are just quite resistent :P

And the OPost did sound rather dumb indeed, but I never thought it was just a joke.

_________________
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"


Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
^ I was a film student myself.

Oh and The Departed sweeped the board, didn't it? Well done Scorsese, you won't be taking a name alongside Stanley Kubrick no more, unlucky you. :sad:


Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Runner
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:17 am
Posts: 126
Location: Cleveland/columbus
Reply with quote
Post 
It was great seeing Martin up there w/ a statue. I must rent The Departed.

Man I love Alan Arkin, but he did not deserve that Oscar, hahaha. That award gayed me out of the office Oscar pool too. Plus I threw logic out the window and picked Borat for adapted screenplay.

_________________
BIG BOSS


Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:33 pm
Profile
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
I wanted Scorsese to join the long list of the greats who never got an Oscar though. :(


Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:25 am
Posts: 70
Location: Japan
Reply with quote
Post 
I never watch these things and I really don't care about the results, because I obviously have much different tastes than "The Academy". Heck, I learned that lesson a long time ago when Siskel and Ebert gave MICKEY MOUSE'S SCROOGE a bad rating way back in the 80s. I was mad. I liked it!!! However I learned this very valuable lesson at a very early age in my life:

Everyone has an opinion.


=)

_________________
--
Weapon of Mass Distraction
http://www.myspace.com/junkdnafiction


Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
Of course, the awards don't matter to me either, I mean, I do not watch a film just because it has an award attached to it, I merely only watch if it appeals. I mean, if there was ANY justice to me, then Blood Diamond, Last King Of Scotland (yes, it does deserve more awards) and The Prestige would be walking away with all of the awards, NOT The Departed, whilst is a very good film, it is not match for those three movies, to me anyway.


Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:00 am
Profile WWW
Major
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:01 am
Posts: 573
Location: Busted Kiddy Pool In The Front Yard
Reply with quote
Post 
ShinjiPG wrote:

Oh, I see this gives you some kind of kick :O



AHHAHA yes!!! I posted this around a couple of other forums, and people's myspace mwuahahahaa. I think you have to get to know me better (and my insane/dry) sense of humor to understand (and don't worry, it's no problem if you don't yet, I'm not some ego-obsessed pudding pants yada yada). ^_^

ShinjiPG wrote:

Anyway, that is indeed a bit personal. If you are what you say you were, it's kind of odd you didn't find some of the things Babel presented kind of interesting.


Yes and again, I give it full credit, as it was gorgeous, and telling -but it's just not my "taste" yada yada, you know - I've never been crazy about that particular drama "genre."

_________________
Image


Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:57 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:09 am
Posts: 393
Reply with quote
Post 
As much as I agree that there are too many award shows nowadays and that the Academy Awards no longer carry the kind of importance that they used to, I still think it's important to understand from a filmmaker's perspective that being awarded Best Director -- at least by the Academy -- is much more than just a trophy of a job well done. It signifies that you're respected by your peers for the work you do. That's why I think it's important that Scorsese got the award, no matter how much he really cared about it (I can't imagine he would've shown up all those times though if it didn't hold some significance with him).

As for The Departed winning Best Picture, I'm kind of smitten about it. On one hand, I very much like the fact that they finally awarded a film that goes against their recent standards. It's gritty, crude, bloody, and unlike most of the typical Hollywood fare in that it holds no punches. On the other hand, it's not exactly the most original film (even in spite of it being a remake, Infernal Affairs wasn't all that original either). Watching it, I just had the sense of been-there-done-that, and I hadn't even seen Infernal Affairs beforehand. I think maybe if it didn't have Scorsese's name on the credits, it might not have received as much recognition as it did.

Personally, I think the far more deserving win this year should've gone to United 93. However, I'm not too upset though, since it was Marty's night, and I was pretty impressed at how well The Departed seemed to clean up overall. I'd consider the last film of its type to win Best Picture maybe The French Connection, so it's definitely been a while. It will be amusing to see The Departed go down in history amongst other surrounding past and future films to win the Best Picture honor, as it'll surely clash with most of them. I don't expect to see another film of its type win in a long time.


Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:00 pm
Profile
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3379
Reply with quote
Post 
I thought Forest Whitaker gave a nice speech at the Oscars. Anyone else seen Ghost Dog? I went out and (foolishly) bought the US soundtrack to it after I saw it, thinking it would have all the cool beats from the film, only to discover it's a pile of some other shit. I returned it and got the Japanese import containing most of the music from the film instead. It can be a little expensive, but it's worth it. It was done by the RZA, who also did Kill Bill's music.


Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:21 am
Profile
General
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am
Posts: 1380
Location: Right Behind You
Reply with quote
Post 
Yeah, Ghost Dog is a great film. Forest gave a great speech, the best of the night actually and I really look forward to seeing The Last King Of Scotland too.


Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:43 am
Profile WWW
Second Lieutenant

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:09 am
Posts: 393
Reply with quote
Post 
A great speech? Nah. Good delivery perhaps, but like everyone else, it was all talk. There was little emotion in anyone's speeches, as it's always the same thankings of the people who got you where you are -- nothing truly genuine. But that's what happens when you rehearse your acceptance, rather than try to deliver somethng heartfelt on the spot.


Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:40 pm
Profile
General

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:46 am
Posts: 3379
Reply with quote
Post 
I got more out of his speech than I think I have with any other awards speech. Most of them are the same old thing -- thanking people involved with the film, but his actually went deeper than that.


Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:49 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.