The 'Last Film I Watched, And Next Film I Want To See' Topic

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
joeypete
Runner

Post by joeypete »

About I Am Legend:
Spoiler:
"I love Shrek!" Too funny to see Smith voicing line for line the scenes... Very clever! Also- "I was saving that bacon...." LOL!
Excel Saga is the shit! I bought the DVDs in 01 (or 02- when ever they came out I
forget) without knowing what it was about really.

Man I was LMAO! It rocks. If you can get the DVDs they have those ADV Notes (subtitle overlay option) that points out alot about Japan and Anime and Manga. A great short course study guide on 2 decades of Anime style and trivia etc.

I won't spoil the last episode- the musical one- but its the best of the whole show IMO.

If you have to pirate it (never the 1st choice but it is an option of course) tho you still can get a great time from seeing it. The Japanese language is better then the English VO (IMHO) but they sneak in a few funny lines with the translated version to make both tracks (Eng and Jap) worth using if you have the time.

Puni Puni Poemi is the shit as well- plus... Fuck me I cannot recall if this is right (too lazy to get up and check my DVDs)... get Magical Nurse Witch Kogumi (I think that is what its called). That is funny as well and in that theme.

I just saw No Country for Old Men. Worth the money but not as great as I thought it would be. Kind of had some Pulp Fiction styling to it (abstract to think that) with the way the story arc jumped and reconnected but not really. Good but not amazing film making for NCFOM.

Tommy Lee Jones kicks ass w/ his performance.
Spoiler:
But he does not kick nor kill the bad guys ass tho- just gets on the scene after the fact. Then retires...
Very violent w/ some cool death scenes- how the man kills. Over all tho, the interjected philosophy and tone of the film makes me think that
Spoiler:
in a modern time context it would play like shit. You need to go back to the 80s (1980 is where its set) before cell phones and modern police work and fast communications and before shit like the transponder technology in the money bag was common and such to have it flow like the film did.

The culture shock in modern times is less too- due to media exposure. "Kids with green hair.." OHHHHH! Sorry Mr Fat old Texan (coffee shop scene near the end where its the society is going to hell jabber. They stopped saying sir and mam!). LOL! Today I'd think he'd care less...

Also the bad guy seemed so tough just by who he killed. His killing innocent people and sloppy gunmen and a non crook who just took the money by chance- tho put him up against a real street thug with some skill in fighting and killing too and he seemed, even in the film, to be the one who'd lose and get killed fast. The way they had him behave so slow- Terminator like- the talk to some of his victims made him creepy as hell tho. Did he kill the wife or not? Only the coin knows...

Do film makers need to retro context to put out a good super villain tale these days? It seems so.
If they have some kick ass extras on the DVD when its out I'll get it- if not tho, I'm cool w/ just having seen it once.

I'm watching Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) 2nd movie now. Fan subbed. Good stuff. Also get the 1st movie (its 30 mins) and the 00 episode if you have the DVDs (1-13) so you can see it all.

I'm going to take a look at War (Jet Li) and Death Sentence soon as well. DS is from the writer of Death Wish so it looks to be cool as hell.

Thats all.... :grin:
http://fearthegaychicken.com/
You Know You DO!!! LOL! :lol:
RandommodnaR
Runner

Post by RandommodnaR »

joeypete wrote: I won't spoil the last episode- the musical one- but its the best of the whole show IMO.
There's actually a 26th episode that got BANNED OF THE AIR. :O
It's the most exaggerated of them all. And the only way to get it is... Y'know... :smile:
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Excel Saga's hilarious, one of the few animes I actually enjoyed. It's part of a very elite club. Anyway, today I picked up a couple of DVDs - Cop Land (Which I think you recommended to me, Henry Spencer), and The Breakfast Club, an 80's classic which I am ashamed to admit I haven't actually watched yet.
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

Blade Runner - Final Cut.

It was pretty good, I'd like to see the theatrical version one day though, to see how much of a difference the voiceover makes and the like.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

The Prince II wrote:Blade Runner - Final Cut.

It was pretty good, I'd like to see the theatrical version one day though, to see how much of a difference the voiceover makes and the like.
It makes a hell of a difference....

I love it both ways...
Spoiler:
and I also love to watch it thinking he is a replicant and not thinking it.. this works the best on the Final cut. You can watch all scenes with both positions, and they both make sense. It is very interesting to think about Deckard's feelings and the symbolism of a scene or action on screen from both points of view.

For instance, the scene between Rachel and Decjard is impressive in both ways and poses very different questions and very different feelings. On one it is almost rape.. on the other it is exploration by two creatures that are learning about themselves and about their world. It is very different, and reading their actions, words and environments under both assumptions during the whole movie is fascinating
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Aye, the Workprint is like watching an entirely different film.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Snatcher wrote:
Spoiler:
For instance, the scene between Rachel and Decjard is impressive in both ways and poses very different questions and very different feelings. On one it is almost rape.. on the other it is exploration by two creatures that are learning about themselves and about their world. It is very different, and reading their actions, words and environments under both assumptions during the whole movie is fascinating
Spoiler:
I also thought it was incredibly intriguing... How he could show the most basest of instincts with the pinnacle of human evolution, her. I could go on forever talking about that bit lol... That and Batty's speech at the end of his 'life'.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

I thought I'd share this with excel saga's fans... I just found it on my HDD, and it is official.
Attachments
ess01.jpg
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Is this just for the cover artwork or is there really a MGS2 parody in Excel Saga?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Just the art
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
RandommodnaR
Runner

Post by RandommodnaR »

I'd buy anything Nabeshin hurls at me :3
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Dumb & Dumber: Unrated Edition

I actually saw this a few months ago, but am only getting around to posting about it.

The original is one of my favorite movies -- I still laugh as hard today as the first time I saw it in the theater when I was 10 -- so I was really excited when I heard there was an unrated version out. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan. There are some greated deleted scenes, like when Harry says goodbye to Petey.

"Petey... I made a promise to you once... (turns around to Lloyd for help) And I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. (Lloyd shrugs)"
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

I watched the Workprint again, Paul Sammon is such an easy person to listen to on the commentary.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Post by Henry Spencer »

Osiris wrote:Dumb & Dumber: Unrated Edition

I actually saw this a few months ago, but am only getting around to posting about it.

The original is one of my favorite movies -- I still laugh as hard today as the first time I saw it in the theater when I was 10 -- so I was really excited when I heard there was an unrated version out. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan. There are some greated deleted scenes, like when Harry says goodbye to Petey.

"Petey... I made a promise to you once... (turns around to Lloyd for help) And I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. (Lloyd shrugs)"
It's easily my favourite Jim Carrey comedy. Got to see that version.

Just seen The Changeling *shivers*. Talk about dark horror. Not scary, just has a dark atmosphere throughout, which is what makes horror films for me; the atmosphere. What an original conclusion, too! A cult gem.
    joeypete
    Runner

Post by joeypete »

I saw Epic Movie... As far as comedy goes it was less then "Epic" Jayma Mays is a cute little piece of ass tho (I dig redheads).

Saw "War". It was okay- overall bad tho. Generic plot where they talk about every move they are going to make and it had the feeling of a CSI TV show more then a real movie.

Cool they used 3 spoken languages in it tho. Kind of a nice touch.

Lame film for much of it but still the Spyker car used was cool, it had MIA's 10 Dollar bumping in the club scene and the action was good (not great tho) with shooting and Kung Fu and a sword fight. The twist ending saved it from being crap.
    Spoiler:
    Jet Li is really the partner! A switch a roo and plastic surgery. Ohhhhhhh!
    Rouge Assassin (international title) is a better title then War is for a movie like this.

Death Sentence was a great film.

I saw that and loved every minute of it.

Great music and sound cues (they make a film like this in many ways- that 1st hospital scene with the wife crying and the staff just going on in the back ground, WOW!) and the action was great and bloody.

Very believable fights in a few spots (BS ones in others). A top tale of back and forth revenge, gripping life changing choices made out of emotion and how they echo to reshape ones life- for the worse!- and how cause and effect spiral out of control. No winners with revenge and with killing. Fun, scary and alerting to view. John Goodman owns his scenes too.
    Spoiler:
    When the father kills the thug who killed his older kid- it was a scene that was almost as good as the killing of the mean tormentor in Larry Clark's film Bully. About 3/4 as good. A real sense of hype before it and a gritty kind of real fight and then the "OMG! I really killed a man!" shock and the the aftermath from that. And how it changed his life... Great scene!
    You get the sense of the father's "What have I done?" realization. Powerful! The drama and violence that flows from that choice.

I loved it- you feel for the players in the film (family, thugs, cops) and it has a human side to it that vengeance tales need to make them watchable.

The roles between the father and sons make this film very good. That side to the story pushes it ahead.

I got 8 Brian Garfield novels for $5 on eBay too. Can't wait to read Death Wish and Death Sentence novels when they get here.

Great film making overall. Excellent dialogue too. Just a great and violent film of people and choices at final view.

That is all. 8)
    joeypete
    Runner

Post by joeypete »

I just saw Equilibrium... Man it was amazing!

I feared it to be some tired 1984 retread but that film goes to show that top skill film making and great acting push past any plot theme cliche.

It came out in 02 and I cannot believe I missed it till just now. A top viewing experience when ever you get to it tho- 10 years out this one will still kick ass. I put it up there with the 1st Matrix film and with Gattaca as well.

A fantastic film start to end. Gun Kata... Too cool!:cool:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8888674336

Here... Riki-Oh The Story of Ricky

LOL this is so awful that is it GREAT! You'll see....

I'll watch 3:10 to Yuma this weekend if I have time.
    Synthoid
    J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

joeypete wrote:I just saw Equilibrium... Man it was amazing!

I feared it to be some tired 1984 retread but that film goes to show that top skill film making and great acting push past any plot theme cliche.

It came out in 02 and I cannot believe I missed it till just now. A top viewing experience when ever you get to it tho- 10 years out this one will still kick ass. I put it up there with the 1st Matrix film and with Gattaca as well.
    Aye, at the end of the day it boils down to this: Christian Bale or Keanu Reeves?

It's pretty amazing how Equilibrium was made with only $20 million.
    shidoni
    Major
    Metal Gear Solid
    Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

City of The Living Dead.... aka Gates of Hell, a 1980 horror movie by Lucio Fulci.... The room around me was laughing at the terrible acting and sometimes laughably unrealistic characters, but... I was being driven mad by the plot device of the dead priest, his hanging body haunting some people. It's that kind of horror I've been looking for/avoiding all this time, his dead stare caused people's eyes to bleed, and one girl to
    Spoiler:
    vomit up all of her entrails.
    Great effects, interesting to watch... even if some of the dubbing is hokey. I recommend to anyone who loves gore and doesn't mind an OK plot...
    joeypete
    Runner

Post by joeypete »

Saw 3:10 to Yuma. It was good but not mind blowing. Nice story of family drama (the dad's quest) and not some bullshit lone gunman hero shoots all/saves all nonsense.

Great character driven tale. Since there have not been alot of Westerns coming out in the past few years (good ones anyway) this was fresh and fun. The Elmore Leonard framework had alot to do with that quality.

I saw Time Bandits too. That was wacky but fun. Napoleon likes to see little things hitting other little things... LOL! He (IRL) was normal height for his day and age BTW and not a short midget as some historians wrongly paint him to be.

Now I'm just seeing some Anime.

Ikki-Tousen (which is fun fight action) and Shigurui (gore filled action). But are nicely done.

Thats about it- been to busy to watch all the stuff in cue I have to see. I prefer to spend most of my time reading as opposed to just seeing film/TV or Anime.

Oh, and the budget for Equilibrium? The fact that is was less then most main stream Hollywood Romantic Comedies ($30 million USD at least for ones with bankable stars) makes the film, Equilibrium, even more of a triumph and a legendary film IMO.

Christian Bale or Keanu Reeves?

Christian Bale! Bale is a REAL ACTOR!! His talent is far grander and he has alot of depth to his portrayals on screen.

Reeves has had some good roles and can act (Walk in the Clouds) but Bale is 100 fold the better actor and just more interesting as a person then Keanu is. Still I love Point Break so I don't dislike Keanu by any means (like Bill & Ted said- Be Excellent to each other! :wink:).

Now the Heath Ledger offed himself (sad) he will get some flash cult status (maybe not quite James Dean level but close to or better then Brandon Lee- The Crow- got) for his untimely death.

For an actor to kick before he is 30 yo and have done some great films (BrokeBack and the Dark Knight- I assume it will be as good as the 1st new Batman) he will get a following. For Bale to be in the new Batman just puts him over the top for having been the last to work with Heath Ledger in a good movie.

Man, WB will make a fuck load of cash off of Dark Knight. More so then if Heath Ledger had not killed himself. Sick, yes- but that is how the game is played and how people will react. WB will just cash in and ride it I'm sure.

Anyway, Bale is a superb actor tip to tale.
    joeypete
    Runner

Post by joeypete »

Been super busy but caught a few films none the less...

I saw (rented) Shoot Em Up. LOL! What a crap film that had enough action in it to make it watchable- but still forgettable.

Anyone can be a screen writer or a filmmaker these days it seems (note I did not say a GOOD filmmaker/writer)...

Glad I rented it and saw it- also glad I do not own it. Could have made a cool anime/ CGI film with the plot and the gun play but live action it was silly. (think live action Fist of the North Star vs the anime series and anime movies and such- that gives some context to what I mean)

The Super Bowl kicked off a fantastic contest! Great game! I loved it more then I have the past 4 Bowl games (even the one last year with the Bears in it). Suck it Brady! 18-1 BITCH!! You could not win the one that counted! LOL!

Saw Meet the Spartans- God, why the hell do I waste my money on stuff like that? I must be a masochist. An hour long gay joke was all that 'film' was. Had some funny bits but not worth the trip to the movies IMO. Why is Carmen Electra in all those parody films? A one role/one type actress IMO. Nice tits but...

Saw Rambo 4. VERY GOOD!

Man that had some nasty violence in it. Kids and women getting killed and people getting hacked up- the setting and the acting made it very unsettling to see some of the gore. Great film!

A balance of the 80s style lone hero shoots all and saves the day with a more human tale and a realistic premises of why he goes in to fight. Very engaging and a ton of action.

If they made Rambo 2 and 3 that way the series would have been an immortal collection of cinema and not just 80s action flicks as they are though of now.

Rambo 4 is the best since the 1st one IMO.

Still its a Rambo film so you know the lasting value... LOL!

Funny how film critics are idiots theses days- I saw in the paper the Rambo 4 ad and the tag line quoted from some jackass critic was "Call of Duty 4 style action..." :shock: WOW! Hey asshole, way to reference a movie to a video game- could not think of anything else to describe it by comparison? Lazy turd!

When a video game (COD 4 is good BTW but) is the point of reference for a reviewer of other media we know that this generation (mine) now has its tunnel vision going and has lost some expressiveness due to that limit.

Dude probably wants to vote for the US President only if he "just use my phone to txt in my vote, why can't I do that..." LMAO!

Maybe to that unexpanded douche bag playing sports are "kind of like Wii sports but different, you have to really move" and having sex "reminded me of porn but I could not skip ahead in the action, and she did not seem to like it as much as the girl on the DVD did". Ass head!

Anyway- Rambo 4 is good! See it if you can or get the DVD later.

That is about it. :grin:
    87th
    General
    Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
    Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
    MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
    MetalGear (NES) [European]
    MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
    MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
    Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
    MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
    MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
    MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
    MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
    MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
    MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
    MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
    MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
    MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
    MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
    MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
    MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
    MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
    Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
    Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
    Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
    Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
    Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
    Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
    Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
    Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
    Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
    boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
    boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
    Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
    Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
    Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
    PSN: eighty7th
    Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I saw Cloverfield last night. It was better than I'd expected, but not particularly memorable. The premise of the film is far more interesting than the film itself, but there are a couple of quite exciting moments. One of my biggest problems with the film was that I found it quite difficult to like any of the characters. They all seemed stupid, vein or selfish. I wouldn't have minded, but the film seems to be asking you to make some kind of emotional attachment with the characters, since so much bad stuff is happening to them. I didn't really find myself caring whether or not most of them lived or died.
    Synthoid
    J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

I want to watch The Bucket List.
    shidoni
    Major
    Metal Gear Solid
    Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

@joeypete: It's miiiiiiiiiiiiighty patronizing, huh.

I watched Cats Don't Dance last night, for the first time in 10 years. It's.... cute... Has a palpable theme of dumb positivity winning over anything (and maybe I read it too deep, but as well, the theme of the deviation of an industry from pure-hearted fun into heiarchal garbage). Songs were surprisingly well-written... Though broadway will always seem just corny for me.
    shidoni
    Major
    Metal Gear Solid
    Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Double post! Saw Zombie tonight, another Lucio Fulci movie. Whilst City Of The Dead was more nightmarish and curse-centered, Zombie was all traditional zombie fare, great stuff... This movie was meant to be a sequel to Dawn Of The Dead.... and thusly buffers between that and Day Of The Dead. Great zombie action, disturbing scenes of course, really... atmospheric establishing shots of the undead... Great stuff, if one digs zombie movies. I confess to craving a great 1st person zombie game at one point (the showdown in the church)... Evidently, Italy doesn't have the same animal-rights cautions in place as in North America, as one certain scene portraying
    Spoiler:
    a zombie tearing bits off of a real, live shark
    illustrates.
    Oh yeah, and there were boobs! Boobs and ass!
    JimboKudo
    Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Okay, I recently watched 3:10 to Yuma, and that was an excellent movie. I'm in the middle of the 3part DUNE movie, and next thing I really want to watch is My Name Is Bruce. My Name Is Bruce is a sortof sequel to the Evil Dead movies. It's about Bruce Cambell who gets kidnapped by some fans, who believe that he is the actual Ash from the evil dead movies. The movie picks up from there. It's not out yet, but I'm still waiting in anticipation (I'm a big fan of Evil Dead).