Blade Runner screening in 4K at LA and HD/BR boxsets

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Blade Runner screening in 4K at LA and HD/BR boxsets

Post by Artemio »

I decided to post a new topic since the post I made in my blog combines both and I couldn't go into either of the current threads without going offtopic. Here is a translation from the post on the blog:
I am a Blade Runner fan, that is no secret. It was one of the first DVDs I owned, even if the quality from that release leaves a lot to be desired. I was able to watch it on a movie theater when a local radio station made a projection a few years back, and I was able to enjoy it just as the first time. The movie, with all it's detail, transported me in it's world and each frame from it captivated me more than ever.

One week ago I was able to watch it in 4K (4000 pixels high, compared to the 1080 from "high definition") at Los Angeles, during the Jules Verne festival. Some of the assistants were Sean Young, Joanna Cassidy, William Sanderson, James Hong, M. Emmet Walsh, Isa Dick Hackett (Philip K. Dick's daughter), Charles de Lauzirika and a lot more form the production, including the Spinner designer, several FX people and some other celebrities such as Patrick Stewart, Malcolm McDowell and William Shatner who presented the event. Unfortunately I could only carry my parent's Sony point-and-shoot camera (a piece of crap) since I didn't know if they'd let me go in with the Nikon D50 and lenses. Now I know they would have, but nothing can be done now. Here are some pictures that were only scaled down a bit for practical purposes.

Shrine Auditorium Entrance

The event was poorly organized.. but everything was worth it when the projection began. I must say that it was the highest quality video I've ever seen, and I am not only talking about the quality of the projection... the material per se and the restoration work are impeccable. Each frame looks incredibly sharp, and I believe much of it is also because back in the time all effects were done with models and by hand, no CG.. and it definitively shows in the cleanness of this new master. The audio left much to be desired because of the acoustics on the place, but that I will enjoy at home later.

Green Carpet
Sanderson
Cassidy
Emmet
Hong

After the screening, there was a small reception. Everybody that I talked to thought we pertained to the industry. Only a few asked and found out we were fans. I had the chance to talk with the artist that did Blade Runner paintings (which were shown there) and also with the creator of the Spinner, Mr William Ladd Skinner. There were tons of people form the production and crew, but I made no direct contact with them.

The day before the event we went to one of the locations used for the film: the Bradbury Building. The building is in the middle of the city, and was built in 1893. The place interior is impressive. The exterior is not as much impressive though:

Bradbury outside

The building has 3 entrances, all off them in the same style. here are some pics form the interior, in some of them you can catch a glimpse of the detail that the elevators and handrails have.

Bradbury Interior 1
Bradbury interior 2
Bradbury Interior 3
Bradbury Interior 4
Bradbury Elevator

The elevators wre powered by steam, but they were changed to electricity sometime in the last century. There is one on each side, and a metal with crystal ceiling crown the top if it. I couldn't stop thinking about Ghost in the Shell's ending and the possibility of another reference to Blade Runner that my brain had not grasped. As a bonus here is a pic of the entrance, where there are no columns.

Bradbury Ceiling
Bradbury door

But what really impressed me was the real size of the building and the apparent size created by Master Scott in the celluloid. While contemplating the place I was thinking about the impressive work done by the production and photographer to create that ambient with steam and pouring water, without damaging the place. here is an image from the movie, for contrast:

Bradbury in Blade Runner

But comming back to today, both HD-DVD and blu ray editions just arrived and are in my hands. Here are some images, that are taken with my Celphone's camera.. even worse than the others.

For those of you with both players it is worth noting that there is no difference in the encoding and audio, both are 1080p VC-1 at 24 frames and the audio is True HD. I make this point because the blu ray specs were not revealed until yesterday that the set was released. if you are using a PS3 with the BR edition, just keep in mind to set the audio HDMI out to LPCM, otherwise you'll get the lousy Dolby Digital at 624 kbps instead of the 3000 Kbps, even by HDMI.

This edition has all the othe rversions as well, and they are all in 1080p, even including the workprint (which is not clean as the others). It is limited to "only" 103000 pieces (I don't know if for all formats or for each one of them) and it includes the 5 disc edition, the unicorn, a spinner, a folder with cards that have Syd Mead art, an acrylic block with an animated seuqnece form the film (Deckard with the blaster) and a note by Ridley Scott.

Box
Opened Box
HD-DVD and BR

Yes I know, I double dipped and did so gladly. But I could not resist the need to "cover risks" regarding the audio and video formats (specially with the history of releases so far).. and after all, with Amazon's price and the discount on HD discs they have offered for the full year, I got both for the retail price of one.

Briefcase
Closed
Case Open
Spinner
Animated plastic block

"It's too bad she won't live!"

From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

That was great hearing about the event, pal. I would agree with you about the quality of the print!

My BD arrived today too. The extras are very nice, not to mention the wealth of actual disc content. The deleted scenes were a treat to see, and I also watched the long documentary. My favorite quote is from Frank Darabont, talking about how he likes Batty's monologue at the end, but hates the original's voice over after it ("It's like having cold water thrown on you during sex").

It'll be fun going through the discs over the holidays. This feels like a great time to have released it.

I also noticed the commentary tracks (as well as the actual films) all have Japanese subtitles, maybe because there are currently no plans to release the HD versions in Japan for some reason -- despite being Japanese technology. Fans there are understandably disappointed about that.
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Hot damn, that briefcase is very sexy. It's a shame Europe only got a tin box, none of the special bonuses except for that "plastic block" and the letter from Ridley Scott.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Interesting to hear that Osiris...

Amazon

DVD only for them... what a shame. I browsed the discs for a while.. It was liek a candy store. I watched the Final cut again (the audio is great!), then I watched some bits of the Theatrical, some of the workprint, some glimpses of commentary on the workprint (really interesting stuff!)

I have to give it it's time. My poor girlfriend said innocently "We'll watch it all during the weekend". She doesn't know what she's saying.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Yeah, plus their DVD boxset is twice the price of our HD ones.
epitaph
Runner
Favorite Game: Deus Ex
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (SCD, US)
Policenauts (PC-98)
Policenauts (3DO)
Policenauts (PS1)
Policenauts (Saturn)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1, EU)
Metal Gear Solid: Integral (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PC, EU)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2, US)

Post by epitaph »

Synthoid wrote:Hot damn, that briefcase is very sexy. It's a shame Europe only got a tin box, none of the special bonuses except for that "plastic block" and the letter from Ridley Scott.
Stores around here imported the briefcase, so I managed to secure myself one :). The extras are very nice indeed, I especially enjoyed the concept art prints.
"The west, so afraid of powerful government, now has no government. Only financial power."

Localization, not translation.

It is a title screen.
Something pushes a button.
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

My boxset is coming today from amazon. Is it true that the HD boxset's extras are on regular DVD?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Omega579 wrote:My boxset is coming today from amazon. Is it true that the HD boxset's extras are on regular DVD?
No, they are not in DVD since a DVD couldn't hold the amount of data... but most of them are SD though. Like the documentary on disc 2, and most of the contents in disc four. All versions of the movie are in HD.. not as clean as the main feature, but clean enough.

Here's a link to a detailed review:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/355/bladerunner.html
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Snatcher wrote:
Omega579 wrote:My boxset is coming today from amazon. Is it true that the HD boxset's extras are on regular DVD?
No, they are not in DVD since a DVD couldn't hold the amount of data... but most of them are SD though. Like the documentary on disc 2, and most of the contents in disc four. All versions of the movie are in HD.. not as clean as the main feature, but clean enough.

Here's a link to a detailed review:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/355/bladerunner.html
No, they actually are DVDs. Plus the labels have the DVD logo instead of the Blu-ray/HD-DVD logo.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

One thing I don't like is all the cut material that isn't in the deleted scenes section, but can be seen throughout the various featurettes. Like the dead woman/toy (?) lying in the filled bathtub when Batty is chasing Deckard in Sebastian's building, Deckard trying to leave the apartment but running back in when Batty steps off the elevator... It would have been nice to have had all of that gathered together in the deleted scenes section.
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

What is everyone's Limited Edition number. Mine is Blu-ray 096351/103000
Last edited by Omega579 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Mine are:

HD-DVD: 085696
Blu ray: 096419

And you are right, I should have checked before posting. Discs 2 and 4 are DVDs... Since the HD-DVD logo and DVD logo are so similar I ws fooled at first glance. It is way more apparent with BD, it jumps out at you that they are DVDs.

Regarding the serials, it seems that the first orders got the highest numbers. I ordered 2 HD-DVD editions, one was for a friend. And his serial number came out lower and it didn't com in the cardboard box.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]