Sooooooooooooo, there's a live action "Speed Racer"

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
JunkerMike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Sooooooooooooo, there's a live action "Speed Racer"

Post by JunkerMike »

coming out in a few months, and while I'm not too impressed with the trailer OR most of the cast they picked, it did get me in the "Speed Racer" mood again, and I'll still probably still see it. Anyway, last year, I made a Speed Racer music video set to Deep Purple's classic hard rock anthem "Highway Star", and I don't have it on YouTube anymore, so I had to upload it here:

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=rj4fvgsp9vf

Enjoy.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I'm not getting excited over this one man. I really can't ever see Speed Racer as a GOOD live action movie yaknow? I guess they could do their best to make sure that the mouths don't match up with the voices at all, that would at least give it the SR feel.
JunkerMike
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by JunkerMike »

JimboKudo wrote:I'm not getting excited over this one man. I really can't ever see Speed Racer as a GOOD live action movie yaknow? I guess they could do their best to make sure that the mouths don't match up with the voices at all, that would at least give it the SR feel.
What is it with everybody not wanting the lip movement to match the words? As if that was purposely done in the original show? Seriously....
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

I think the thing about Speed Racer is that it's not necessarily the best anime of all time, in fact, it's not that amazing for an anime story or quality wise, but it IS a classic that caused many people to get their teeth into anime. I think that's what's so good about it, it's sometimes laughable but everybody enjoys it. As for this new movie...we'll have to see.
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

I was going to watch it out of curiosity, until I found out Susan Sarandon was in it. I really hate Hollywood liberals.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Omega579 wrote:I was going to watch it out of curiosity, until I found out Susan Sarandon was in it. I really hate Hollywood liberals.
You don't watch a movie because of one of the actors?
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
The Prince II
Runner
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (kinda)
Metal Gear (kinda)
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Post by The Prince II »

Omega579 wrote:I was going to watch it out of curiosity, until I found out Susan Sarandon was in it. I really hate Hollywood liberals.
Considering 90% of Hollywood is made up of liberals, you're really limiting your options.
I'd refuse to watch a film with Paris Hilton in it. Though that would be using the term actor veeeery loosely.
HIT ME WITH YOUR RYTHM STICK! HIT ME! HIT ME!
daknight

Post by daknight »

I saw the trailer and...really didn't know what to think about it. It kind of turn me off from the movie, but I probaly end up seeing it for the hell of it. I defently not a huge Speed Racer fan...never new Racer X had a girlfriend (I know Racer X is Rex, Speed's brother, just making a joke of the listing the game to 'Minx' as Racer X girlfriend, guess to avoid spoilder of saing Racer X being Rex?) go figure xP Should probaly watch the anime to get in the mood xP Now if the make a G-force (Gatchaman) live action movie...that will indeed pick my interest more.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

The Prince II wrote:I'd refuse to watch a film with Paris Hilton in it. Though that would be using the term actor veeeery loosely.
You know the actors are not (usually) responsible for the content of the movie, they just play their parts. The director and (nowadays) the producer are responsible for the actors, and the screenwriter is responsible for the story and themes discussed in the movie, which are transmited by the actors.
So even if an idiot acts in a movie, if it is by a good director, he'll know how to make the actor do what he wants.
It just pisses me off to see these kinds of comments, because it makes it look like people think the actors make the movie and their speaches.

This thing is directed by the Wachowski Brothers, you know how they made the Matrix, so you should expect the direction of Speed Racer to be similar (and not to be similar to other movies Susan Sarandon stared before). Even if she's liberal, it's not her movie so the movie won't be a tool to express her liberal points of view.
And if they casted Paris Hilton, you bet they had a really good reason to.
"I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!"
Omega579
Runner

Post by Omega579 »

The Prince II wrote:
Considering 90% of Hollywood is made up of liberals, you're really limiting your options.
I'd refuse to watch a film with Paris Hilton in it. Though that would be using the term actor veeeery loosely.
I said I hate Hollywood liberals, not that I won't watch a movie because one is in a movie. But if Susan Sarandon is in a movie, I definetely won't watch it. Same goes for Barbara Streisand and Richard Gere. Sometimes I can't separate the person from the art and it spoils the movie for me.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Omega579 wrote:
The Prince II wrote:
I said I hate Hollywood liberals, not that I won't watch a movie because one is in a movie. But if Susan Sarandon is in a movie, I definetely won't watch it. Same goes for Barbara Streisand and Richard Gere. Sometimes I can't separate the person from the art and it spoils the movie for me.

I definetly see your point. Although I generally judge the actor by the acting he or she is doing. Here's a case where I ended up being pleasantly surprised by a guy who I thought was a "crappy actor." I saw Titanic when it came out, and like most guys I hated Leonardo Decaprio. Then a few years later, I saw the movie, Catch me if you can. I thought that he did a decent job on that movie, so I was like, "Well, at least he has one good movie." Then six months ago I saw Blood Diamond, which is one of my favorite movies now, because everything about it was spectacular (in my opinion). Leo is a liberal, but I definetly have respect for his acting skills. (BTW, I hate Susan Sarandon too, I don't like idiots, but I DEFINETLY don't like THAT type of idiot)
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Omega579 wrote:I said I hate Hollywood liberals, not that I won't watch a movie because one is in a movie. But if Susan Sarandon is in a movie, I definetely won't watch it. Same goes for Barbara Streisand and Richard Gere. Sometimes I can't separate the person from the art and it spoils the movie for me.
That's dumb.
Omega579
Runner

Post by Omega579 »

ShinjiPG wrote:
Omega579 wrote:I said I hate Hollywood liberals, not that I won't watch a movie because one is in a movie. But if Susan Sarandon is in a movie, I definetely won't watch it. Same goes for Barbara Streisand and Richard Gere. Sometimes I can't separate the person from the art and it spoils the movie for me.
That's dumb.
What's dumb about my answer? At least support your response. :P
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

ShinjiPG wrote:
That's dumb.
Look, the fact is that the art is always effected by the artist, so Omega has a point. It's valid to say that a movie sucks because it has crappy people in it. It's best to try and overlook them, but sometimes that doesn't work. I think the good example was whether or not a good script would still be good if Paris Hilton was the leading actress. I would never watch a movie that had her as the lead, because all I would be able to think about would be that she's a slut and I hate her (i hope saying that's not against the rules). Everyone's biased whether you like it or not, so it's only natural for your views of people to get in the way of a good movie.
seraphssavior
Second Lieutenant

Post by seraphssavior »

Well, all these points may be true, but you know what didn't suck? Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
Life and Death hang in perfect balance...I'm only here to tip the scales.
Omega579
Runner

Post by Omega579 »

seraphssavior wrote:Well, all these points may be true, but you know what didn't suck? Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
I think that's something we can all agree on! :razz:
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Omega579 wrote:
seraphssavior wrote:Well, all these points may be true, but you know what didn't suck? Bruce Willis in Die Hard.
I think that's something we can all agree on! :razz:
He was like... Jesus, except he walked on glass, instead of water.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Yeah, too bad Bruce Willis isn't in Speed Racer. I just watched the Fifth Element, and that was pretty awesome (I guess that's a bit off topic). If he was in it I'm sure there would be a lot less *girly voice* You can do it Speed Racer! And a lot more yipee kai yay, Mutha Fugga!!! Nah, I guess that would be a bit extreme for Speed Racer.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Omega579 wrote:
ShinjiPG wrote:
That's dumb.
Are you joking?
JimboKudo wrote:Look, the fact is that the art is always effected by the artist, so Omega has a point. It's valid to say that a movie sucks because it has crappy people in it. It's best to try and overlook them, but sometimes that doesn't work. I think the good example was whether or not a good script would still be good if Paris Hilton was the leading actress. I would never watch a movie that had her as the lead, because all I would be able to think about would be that she's a slut and I hate her (i hope saying that's not against the rules). Everyone's biased whether you like it or not, so it's only natural for your views of people to get in the way of a good movie.
Wouldn't you consider the director, DP, screenwriter, etc, to be artists themselves? Boy, it looks like you put too much weight on actors.
Omega579
Runner

Post by Omega579 »

ShinjiPG wrote:
Omega579 wrote:
ShinjiPG wrote:
That's dumb.
Are you joking?

No, I'm not joking.
JimboKudo wrote:Look, the fact is that the art is always effected by the artist, so Omega has a point. It's valid to say that a movie sucks because it has crappy people in it. It's best to try and overlook them, but sometimes that doesn't work. I think the good example was whether or not a good script would still be good if Paris Hilton was the leading actress. I would never watch a movie that had her as the lead, because all I would be able to think about would be that she's a slut and I hate her (i hope saying that's not against the rules). Everyone's biased whether you like it or not, so it's only natural for your views of people to get in the way of a good movie.
Wouldn't you consider the director, DP, screenwriter, etc, to be artists themselves? Boy, it looks like you put too much weight on actors.
I think you're missing the point. What we're trying to say is that a person's personal beliefs, politics or real life situation can pull you out of your suspension of disbelief and ruin a movie. Like the above Paris Hilton example. Whenever I watch Seinfeld I'm enjoying it until Kramer comes on and I can only think of him as the guy that said the 'N' word. Another example is watching the Crow and trying to find the parts where Brandon Lee was replaced with a stuntman or by movie magic. Try watching Moonwalker and not think of Michael Jackson touching little boys.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

Omega579 wrote:Try watching Moonwalker and not think of Michael Jackson touching little boys.
I wouldn't. I don't care much about media coverage of celebreties so when I think "Michael Jackson" I think "Thriller" or "Billie Jean".
Anyway, I was asking if you were joking because I had "supported my arguments" 3 or 4 posts above and you seem to haven't noticed them.

If you can't appreciate a good movie just because you can't suspend your disbelief, that's really sad, because then you'r probably missing tons of great movies out there.
I just watched "Days of Being Wild" for the 2nd time some minutes ago (lol) and it never bothered me that I was actually watching a death person (actor) which I particulary like (Leslie Cheung). I can watch Terminator I and II (can't watch III because it's crap) and not think about Schwarzenegger as a Governor, but actually appreciate the magnificent sci-fi themes Cameron explored.
And the point of acting is to impersonate another character while leaving one's characteristics outside.
So, yeah, I have this great skill of not focusing on the actors too much, but in the characters.
Omega579
Runner

Post by Omega579 »

I don't think I'll watch Speed Racer. I don't like Susan Sarandon.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

ShinjiPG wrote: And the point of acting is to impersonate another character while leaving one's characteristics outside.
While I'm not jumping into this argument, gawd no, I have to say that not all actors do this. As much as Lethal Weapon 4 sucked ass in many ways, Mel Gibson sucked what little life out of it with his very apparent apathy.
ShinjiPG
Runner

Post by ShinjiPG »

shidoni wrote:
ShinjiPG wrote: And the point of acting is to impersonate another character while leaving one's characteristics outside.
While I'm not jumping into this argument, gawd no, I have to say that not all actors do this. As much as Lethal Weapon 4 sucked ass in many ways, Mel Gibson sucked what little life out of it with his very apparent apathy.
The point of acting was what I said. It doesn't mean all "actors" do it.
And I haven't seen Lethal Weapon 4, so dunno.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Eek! Alright, I get it, I get it... *backs away*