Amazon is great.

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Amazon is great.

Post by Synthoid »

Today I bought a bevy of items, including the Blade Runner: Director's Cut Special Limited Edition Collector Set released back in 2000, which comes in this huge velvet-lined black box. The DVD itself is unimportant, namely because it's plain vanilla with no commentaries or extras, but it's the collectable items that the set comes with:

Eight limited edition lobby card prints, an exclusive senitype film cell from the movie along with a 35mm film frame, a theatrical poster and a copy of the original shooting draft script, signed by both Hampton Fancher and David Peoples, the two scriptwriters for the film.

Also made a bargain on a couple of soundtracks, the original soundtrack that was released in '94 and the orchestral adaptation by the New American Orchestra. If I had bought them new from Amazon themselves, it would have cost me around twenty quid, but instead I got 'em new from third-party sellers for around £7. Both in new, mint condition - hopefully. Finally, I decided to pick up the second BR sequel novel - Replicant Night. Picked that up for around £3 or so, I've read the first sequel and it was surprisingly good. But for the most part, it's for collection's sake.

I'm also considering picking up the Cinefax hardcover reprint, which I think has gone down in price. Not sure yet though. Anyway, my point still stands - Amazon is pretty damned decent for what it does, it's a shame that Play Asia doesn't accept my card type. That UC soundtrack was tempting...
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

I still keep mine, bought it when it first came out. What I did do though is placing the remastered DVD released last December in there, the one in the box set looks terrible.

And indeed, Amazon is the way to go. At least for me.

BTW, I got the New orchestra soundtrack in Tape recently, I was happy as hell to get it for less than a dollar in pristine condition.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Wow, what a bargain. What's funny is that my BR collection is probably going to surpass my Kojima/MGS and RE collections, especially since that BR merchandise is noticably more difficult to come by. Also, yeah, hate the snapper case DVDs, they look awful. I'll probably do the same with my copy. Despite it being a plain DVD, I'm glad I bought the remastered DC, since it got a very limited release.

Bought a lot of books and things from Amazon too. The new updated Future Noir, Rutger Hauer's autobiography (All Those Moments) and The Blade Runner Experience. Is it worth getting that Cinefex hardcover?
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

True BR merchandise is almost non existent. My BR collection grew a lot this last month with the HD releases, the new soundtrack and some on set photos I was able to buy from a trusted seller in LA, along with extra editions of the Comic that I didn't have. I also got the LP now that I have been going back to vinyl, and I also agree that getting that limited released DVD was great. It did it's job while the HD versions arrived.

It would be hard for it to surpass the Kojima games collection, but the Ghost in the shell one already did =P

I wouldn't know about the HC version, I'd say it is worth it for collector's purposes.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Just for the thread, here's all the stuff I have so far:

Films:

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - 5-Disc Tin Box Set - Ultimate Collector's Edition (DVD)
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut - Special Limited Edition Collector Set (DVD)
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut - Remastered (DVD)
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut - Special Edition, with Collector's Pack (VHS)

Games:

Blade Runner (PC)

Books:

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick)
Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human (K.W. Jeter)
Blade Runner 3: Replicant Night (K.W. Jeter)
Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner (Paul M. Sammon)
All Those Moments: Stories of Heroes, Villains, Replicants and Blade Runners (Rutger Hauer)
The Blade Runner Experience: The Legacy of a Science Fiction Classic (Will Brooker)

Music:

Blade Runner: Original Soundtrack & Additional Music -Vangelis (CD)
Blade Runner: 25th Anniversary Special Edition 3-Disc Soundtrack - Vangelis (CD)
Blade Runner: Orchestral Adaptation Of Music Composed For The Motion Picture (CD)
Last edited by Synthoid on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Sorry for the double post, Art.

I had another dig through the Amazon Marketplace to see what I could find, and while browsing through the number of VHS copies of BR, I found something interesting:

"Includes collector's pack"

But what is this collector's pack, exactly? The copy itself cost 49p, plus £2 P&P. So I did some research, even referring to the 'Bible' about it, and I discovered this among someone's collection on a website:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/6/ ... 7705488000

According to that, it's an ultra rare version of the VHS director's cut which came with a "collector's pack" (basically three b&w photographs of Deckard, Roy and Pris). Anyway, I snapped it up pretty sharpish so now all I have to do is wait and see what I get, if I'm lucky it'll be exactly what we see above in the picture. The seller's reputable too, sounds like a good bloke too. Positive reviews, etc.

I may have found something golden here. Off to do some more research!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Congratulations my friend, it looks like a great find =)

I'll try and take some pics of the stock photos I got during the weekend. And maybe a list of the BR stuff I got.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Oh yeah, definitely! I'd love to check those out actually.

You know, it's a shame they never included the footage of Deckard running atop the cars in the Final Cut. I was expecting to see it!
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Synthoid wrote:Oh yeah, definitely! I'd love to check those out actually.

You know, it's a shame they never included the footage of Deckard running atop the cars in the Final Cut. I was expecting to see it!
And what about the visits to the hospital? I loved the conversation about Rachel, and what Gaff and Bryant had to say. If you think about the relevance of that scene put against his existence as a replicant or human, it is pretty interesting. As well as for Holden.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5-maJpKBDVw
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Oh yeah! You know, if you watch the deleted scenes all together on the SE, it's like a completely different film. Hahaha, I love Gaff during the hospital sequence.

"I spit on metaphysics, siiir."
Synthoid
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Synthoid »

Well, my copy of the Orchestral Adaptation arrived today and by far my favourite track is Memories of Green. It's got a nice jazzy feel to it - more so than what I derived from the original, reminds me of Can't Say Goodbye To Yesterday. Least that's the vibe I was getting from it. Dare I say it, I think it works better than the original Vangelis track.