So.. I'm a writer.. and.... but..

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Junker Gear Snatcher
Favorite Game: (Ask me sometime, PMs welcome)
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid series (all of them)
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
-MGS: Portable Ops
-MGS: Portable Ops +
-MGS: Digital Graphic Novel
Snatcher
(Policenauts someday, thanks to you dedicated folks.)

So.. I'm a writer.. and.... but..

Post by Junker Gear Snatcher »

Okay, I'm going to introduce myself.

I'm a 20 year-old University student, about 3-4 years ago, I wrote the manuscript on a yet-to-be published novel, that rang up 500 pages it took me 9 months to a year to finish, and I've got the outline for a sequel planned, in the off-chance that I become famed, or at least get SOME kind of a fan-base that wants more.

The entire thing was written during my free-time AT school, I've had 5 people read it, and received excellent feedback (one was my English teacher.. who jokingly 'graded' it) and 3 of the people would hunt me down to read over my shoulder as I wrote it.

It was a Sci-Fi fantasy novel focusing on time paradoxes.

I've got three projects in the works and I'm starting another. If you read my sig, I've got three other stories that have been cancelled, and I'm instead holding onto the material to incorporate into something else.

Those three are:

A story about genetic research.
A story about split personalities and a new concept (for copyright sake, don't think anyone would steal my work from here, but-) I'll call "split souls"
And a Metal Gear Solid story I won't publish but I'm writing more or less to flex my muscles with unoriginal content and holding true to (complex) themes and an already established story.

My new project however is inspired by my newly found diamonds in the rough: Snatcher and Blade Runner. Which I know one is inspired from the other.

However, I'd like to playfully reference those two titles and pay homage to them.

But my question to you is: Should I? Does anyone know the specifics on such a topic? I mean Gillian Seed has a very Rick Deckard appearance. And in Snatcher there are references to other things. Here's what I've got in mind so far.

I want the Rick Deckard/Gillian Seed coat and detective status. I want a place called Neo Kobe Cafe. A corporation called FOXHOUND (all similarities end in the name however). And I'd like to mention or have a bar named Outer Heaven, but that ones not important, I just really like the atmosphere that place had (changing the name and certain details is not a problem) and I'd like to name drop either Konami or Kojima in good/"hey, I'm a fan!" way.

Thoughts?
----------------------------------
Listening to my own "Policenaudio."
Author with one finished book,
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

And yet I still find time to be a Junker.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Re: So.. I'm a writer.. and.... but..

Post by Dick Motorman »

You might as well do it, I mean if anything it'll be decent practice right?
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

True.

I've already started the story, and should problems arise, I'd just rename/replace/rewrite things and end up with a "Don't sue me, I love you!" copy and a my intended copy.

It's times like this I wish I was popular, then I could hunt down Kojima, look him in the eye and say "In my story can I reference Snatcher?" LOL.
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

it would really only be an issue if you outwardly made a sequel to it with the intent to sell, I mean no one's gonna sue you if you make a story with references to Snatcher or make some fan-fic-sequel
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

I don't think Konami are in any position to get angry with people for using names from other sources.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dick Motorman »

Yeah, exactly
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Hard to say if it would really be okay. If you're spending the time to write long manuscripts, then I can only assume that you maybe plan on publishing them someday. If you aren't then it wouldn't matter, but if you are, then it might be a good idea to never actually use any of the names (instead use references, such as the rick deckard/gillian seed type outfit you described). Unless you write it, then send it in to Konami and ask permission. If they like it, who knows, they might say yes. I thought about writing a Blade Runner-esque short story, but whenever I start writing, about half way or so into the book, something happens. Either I get writer's block (and it doesn't come back), or my book gets deleted. I was writing a sci-fi book a while ago, and I worked on it every night. I was using an old word-processor machine to do this. Then the diskette that I had everything saved on disappeared. That was a big dissapointment. Your book that you wrote was probably way better than mine (I've always had pacing problems in my books), especially since you had some people read it and got positive feedback. If you got positive feedback, then you should go and publish it. There's no sense in keeping the book to yourself right?
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

Yeah, the book I wrote, I did so in pencil in a steel coil scribbler, so it needs to be edited and typed before I can publish, and I just haven't felt like doing so. The first act in need of some serious restoration, because the scribbler's starting to fall apart.

I know what you mean, I tend to get writer's block at home, but writing at school for some reason never had any problems.

Although I want to publish my work, I enjoy working on pieces like this one almost more than original works.

I'm a firm believer that people should be credited for their work, but I also feel that with the improvements in technology that we're going to run into a lot of problems concerning products and intellectual property. It's not a big deal now, but with things like the internet and mediums like Blu-Ray discs, let's say we jump into the future 400 years from now, there's going to be all these legalities and records of people that may have died years ago. What are we going to do in those kinds of situations?

Personally I feel we need to adopt a different perspective and approach. Nothing serious, just more flexibility.

We're all influenced by things, stories, legends, nursery rhymes, people we meet, teachers, professors, actors, directors, friends, family, dreams... the list goes on.

So far, my references are things similar to Snake's line in MGS4 "Liquid's very own Death Star."

I'm thinking I'm going to have something like "So, Mr. (main character) what did you think of Neo Kobe Cafe?" "Reminds me of that place that got closed down a while ago... something Heaven."

EDIT: This is NOT my current Snatcher/Blade Runner-esque project, but is merely a (albeit small) sample of my work. Should open in Microsoft word. Let me know if it doesn't.

This sample uses this story's original tentative title and has long since changed. So you can kind of ignore it. This IS the prelude, the first section of writing you read when you open the book, afterward the story goes back to the beginning, leads up to this point and then goes further... yadda yadda. LOL
Attachments
PRELUDE Tapping the Heart of Essences.doc
A very small sample of my work.
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

As you said, we are all inspired by everything around us. In a way, there's plagerism in every book. As somebody once said, "There's little that is new under the sun."

I thought the file you posted was pretty good. The descriptions were very life-like, and it seems like a good setup for a story.
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

Yeah, in order to learn, you have to be taught.

Personally I feel things like literature, movies, and games are things that we create and craft to pass on to other people, they entertain us, but they also try to teach us different perspectives, different ways of thinking, that sort of thing.

I've noticed that the area of my writing I have the most difficulty with is describing locations.

I *had* a bunch of those, short little "works" that weren't really the beginning of a story, but like a part of it. When I'm a home, I tend to think up little scenarios and I'll jot 'em down. I'm a big fan of action scenes, and I'm always trying to outdo myself, think up different situations, heavily relying on the environment or "items at hand" to combat a foe. Love the stuff.

However I haven't heard any comments on it. But I worry sometimes that because I (at least I feel that I) don't describe locations well, I'm always a little worried that I give too much away in terms of foreshadowing, by introducing let's say a wrench on the table before using it. But I suppose that's to be expected and probably a worry even among famed writers.
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

It's strange because you never really notice how well books are actually written until you try yourself. First, you want to give the readers a proper idea of what exactly you've imagined. Second is dialogue. And third is probably variety (action scenes and plots included). Those seem to be the three main ingredients that make a book good. Like you said, it's hard to even introduce a wrench into a scene without what seems like foreshadowing.
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

Yeah, I know. A little background on me, I always had mediocre marks in English, but I always had the wrong kinds of teachers, it's funny, but the year I wrote my 500 page novel, my teacher was superb, he turned my marks around. And I actually grew passionate about my writing.

And it built up from there, afterwards I had a teacher that loved Shakespeare and essays, so there was a lot of just pure writing combined with trying to decipher writing. The Shakespeare part also included writing in our own sort of context for the content.

Then in my last year we had a lot of creative writing, which I love.

It's funny to have something like that happen, a subject you can't stand suddenly becomes one you deeply enjoy.

Attached is another story I started specifically for scenarios like this one. The nature is comedy,it's odd-ball but hopefully enjoyable. It's a pirate story along a similar nature to Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean and Lucasart's Monkey Island.

I haven't edited this one from when I wrote it years ago, but it's longer than that sample I uploaded earlier, let me know what you think!
Attachments
Treasure of Something Island.doc
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.

JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Sorry about the delay, I wasn't able to get to my desktop computer for a LONG time. I usually use my Laptop to check email and stuff instead. Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have Word on it, so that's what took so long.

First, I've gotta say that it was funny. Definetly different from what you posted before, but still very good. I did notice a bit of repetition with various nouns, but, as you said, you haven't edited it since it was written. Besides a few things like that (which would be very easily corrected, since you probably noticed them yourself) it was excellent. As before, I was able to imagine the scenarios and surroundings quite easily, so the descriptions were good. Did you ever finish it?

Anyway, I was thinking, maybe I should post a part from one of the books I was writing a while ago. It would be interesting to get some constructive criticism for my writing, because it's sometimes hard to figure out what I'm doing wrong without an outside source. The particular part I was thinking of posting was from a book that I ended up quitting because I hit some major writers block.
Junker Gear Snatcher
-MGS1
-MGS2
-MGS3
-MGS4
Snatcher

Sure, go ahead!

And others can post segments or what-have-you. I love stories.

In fact, that's one of the reasons why I love video games, they're like stories about stories. Kinda.

I've kinda put myself on hiatus, I'm leaving for university in two weeks and I just haven't had time to write, once I get settled, I'll probably pick up the mighty pen again.
six others on the go.
Generally friendly.
Good looking too.