Trying to get into computer programming/science as a hobby..

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Mornaug
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: Penguin Adventure, Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3, Z.O.E.

Trying to get into computer programming/science as a hobby..

Post by Mornaug »

I suppose I need a lot of books! Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'd appreciate it. Also, if you are an avid programmer or computer aficionado, how did you get into it? where did you start?
Commander_AK-47
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops +
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2
PSN: Commander_AK-47

Re: Trying to get into computer programming/science as a hobby..

Post by Commander_AK-47 »

I am not but I know a guy. Heres his email:

pvtfoxhound@yahoo.com

Call him Foxhound and say that Commander_AK-47 sent you.
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

I've done a tiny bit of programming (going to have to use it much more in the future) but I've always been into computers and general tech stuff. We're lucky that we live in the day that we do, the internet is a wonderful thing what I would do is just "stream of conciousness research" what I mean by that is if something interests you, look it up, and learn about it, this is essentially why I know anything at all about computers and general tech. I'd stick to the internet personally, because technology is always changing and there are always service packs and upgrades and this and that and the best way to stay on top of that stuff is the internet. There are tons and tons of "beginners guides to:" "for dummies" books and stuff like that, so thats always and option for the basic stuff. Y'know books like http://www.amazon.com/How-Computers-Wor ... pd_sim_b_3 As for specific books, I'm really not sure, as I've never used any to learn about computers or programming. Just look around. Go to a bookstore and see what they got.
Mornaug
Kojima games owned: Penguin Adventure, Metal Gear (MSX), Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3, Z.O.E.

Post by Mornaug »

Thanks for the help AK and Dick. Ill definitely use your advice. I think I made a mistake by just asking about books though. Know any good websites to start off?
Dick Motorman
Second Lieutenant
PSN: DMotorman

Post by Dick Motorman »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... tnG=Search

See what you can find there... I don't have any basic computer sites on hand, but if I come across any I'll send them your way. Now when it comes to non-basic stuff there are tons of stuff... Engadget, gizmondo, pages like that, they're ensentially blogs regarding new technologies and cool gadgets that are coming out, it's always fun to look at.

You weren't wrong to ask for books, man, they can be a great place to start off, I just don't know any good ones, as I've never used any for tech stuff. Maybe someone who has can chime in and give you a good book, but if not, just go to a book store and see what they have, it's worth a shot at least.

Websites like these (http://www.i-hacked.com/, http://www.hackaday.com/) are cool too, especially when you get into computers more.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Have you figured out what language you'll begin with? I suggest C++ since that is the main language in use for most things nowadays. I got into it a while ago, but I only used the internet. I'm not really sure if that's the way to go about it completely though, because you really have to work hard to get to know a language. Here's the website I used: http://www.cprogramming.com/

Pretty much everything is there, but be prepared to practice a lot. Definetly try to approach it creatively, and make your own programs outside of the tutorial. Every chapter of the tutorial I did, I would finish their program, then try to make something else on my own. It's a very rewarding experience.

I know a guy who used one book to program, and he's even better than I am. He used the official Microsoft C++ 2008 book, but I can't seem to find an amazon link to it. I'll see the guy on Wednsday so I'll ask him what the real title is.
Mornaug

Post by Mornaug »

I came upon an old copy of Beginning Programming For Dummies, but it uses visual BASIC as a starting point. Seems like a very good book but im thinking about just going for C++. If im going to spend time on learning a language might as well be the language eh? Thanks for the link Jimbo, seems like a great site i'll definitely give the tutorials a shot. By the way, I found a great article on learning hexadecimal and binary at http://www.codeproject.com/KB/tips/binhex.aspx for anyone who is interested.
James_The_Stampede
Runner
Kojima games owned: MGS1-4, Boktai, Policenauts, Snatcher (Well, technically anyway).
PSN: Sir_EFG
Xbox Live: Aes Rock

Post by James_The_Stampede »

I would definitely take a look at some of the free tutorials over at http://www.3dbuzz.com. If you have a complimentary text to also follow along with, even better. The C# video series has you create a text-parser in the vein of "Zork" (though, not as detailed unless you decide to code your own functions). The C++ series ends with making a ASCII "bezerker" clone. The C# one was awesome and very satisfying on top of being entertaining enough to hold interest.

For books, I would recommend C++ Primer Plus. It's very detailed and thorough and assumes no prior experience and touches a bit on "C" for those who are migrating from that language. Steer clear of the "For Dummies" series, they tend to just confound all who read them :P.
Mornaug

Post by Mornaug »

Awesome! I'm gonna order C++ Primer Plus ASAP; did some research on it, great book! Thanks for the help all :grin: