MGS 3 Subsistance PS2
MGS 4 PS 3
MG-GB GameBoyColor

"Doomsday" Next Gen Plissken?

Post by DOTL »

Hi all.
Do you know the movie Doomsday?
If you do, do you like it?

The movie is about a virus that killed thousands in Scotland. The Goverment decides to quarantine Scotland, in order to protect the people in England. Scotland is closed down by wall, protected by automatic weaponry. Nobody gets out, no one gets in. Almost 3 decades later the virus is found in London. Major Sinclair and her team are sent to scotland, where satellites discovered living human beings. In order to find out why there are people alive, and to save England´s society the teams enters a country where only the strong survive.

Sounds familiar? :-D
As a fan of Escape from New York, you will notice a lot of similarities:

There are crazies, there is the wall, there´s a lying Goverment, there is your anti-hero and there is the typical Plissken-ending (well almost).
There are more things, but I don´t want to spoil too much.

The main character is a woman,and has a lot of attitude.
For a character that is made to resemble Snake Plissken, the actress is doing pretty good.
Also, her little eye-toy is a great idea!
I liked the performance of her, and would like to see more of her!

The movie also contains new-horror-style(splatter?) elements, which are also pretty well done.
The music is great, it resembles the ""Escape from New York" Soundtrack here and there, just like the movie tries.
There are themes you just recognize, I really like that.

Its too bad that the mixing is poorly done, could really have been better. You have a lot of highs and lows, actions scenes are extremly loud, conversations are just to quiet.

Spoilers up ahead.
Spoiler:
Towards the end,the movie gets a bit stupid, which is really sad. Former Dr. Kane, a Dr. who worded on an anti-virus in Scotland, now living in castle as wanna-be king with a stupid attitude is really dragging the movie down. Where is the sense in living like 500 years ago? They could have used modern clothes and technology when available, why act like that?
The last scenes are too short, which is also sad because although they are not something you have never seen before, they are pretty good. Longer could have made more of an impact I suppose.

Overall, I like the movie. I hope they´re doing a sequel of some sort!
Because the way it looks now Snake Plissken won´t be back, which is really sad. And I don´t want a remake of Escape fom New York without Russel in it. (maybe as Hauk...)

So, what do you think?
Could Doomsday be the future for bad-ass-style movies?
Or at least a sign for the right direction?
Or do you have any ideas for a third true Snake Plissken movie?
Let me know, and thanks for reading!