Blade Runner Finally Getting Complete DVD Treatment

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Snake Plissken
Major
Favorite Game: Mega Man 2

Blade Runner Finally Getting Complete DVD Treatment

Post by Snake Plissken »

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/710/710537p1.html
May 30, 2006 - In September of 2006, Warner Home Video will release a restored and remastered version of the Blade Runner 1992 Director's Cut for a special four month limited release, in anticipation of a series of exciting an unprecedented releases of the film in theaters and on DVD.

Following a four month run of the remastered Blade Runner DVD, this disc will be placed on moratorium, by WHV. In 2007, Warner will follow with a limited theatrical run of Blade Runner: The Final Cut, which is being touted as Ridley Scott's definitive version. Subsequently, there will be a multi-disc Special Edition DVD release which will contain three alternate versions of the film: the original U.S. theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut. "Ample, groundbreaking bonus features will also be included," according to the WHV press release.

Check out this image from the original DVD release of Blade Runner, part or all of which is likely to be replicated for the forthcoming limited DVD run of the 1992 Director's Cut:
Phew... Good thing I still haven't bought the "Director's Cut" version.
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

I have never seen the film, but seeing as you all like it, i should probaly rent it.
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I suppose after this year's DVD release and next year's SE, they'll eventually release the forthcoming new cut on DVD, too.

I still haven't bought any DVD version thus far (still got my DC VHS).
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

I think this whole definitive version thing is just a gimmick. Since it's fiction there can't really be a definitive version now can there?
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

I think they mean it's the version Ridley always wanted to do.

But a lot of things got cut from the film even in the very early stages, like Zhora's grand snake dance. And then there was supposed to be the 5th replicant, Mary (which is why there are some dialogue and continuity errors in the film - i.e. when Deckard buys his booze he already has his scar from Leon). Paul Sammon's Future Noir catalogues it all.
Crowley
Runner

Post by Crowley »

Well, it's about time... The people who own the rights to Blade Runner have been sitting on Scott's "definitive cut" for years now.
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

ratperson665 wrote:I think this whole definitive version thing is just a gimmick. Since it's fiction there can't really be a definitive version now can there?
It's only a gimmick when the original director has no input on the film's editing. For instance, they recently released "definitive" editions of both Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin, two films that were mutilated beyond the director's intentions when released and have no true director's cut. But since neither director is no longer living, their feelings can't possibly be known when people try to restore these films with new footage. They only assume they're acting in a filmmaker's best interests.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Missing wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:I think this whole definitive version thing is just a gimmick. Since it's fiction there can't really be a definitive version now can there?
It's only a gimmick when the original director has no input on the film's editing. For instance, they recently released "definitive" editions of both Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Orson Welles' Mr. Arkadin, two films that were mutilated beyond the director's intentions when released and have no true director's cut. But since neither director is no longer living, their feelings can't possibly be known when people try to restore these films with new footage. They only assume they're acting in a filmmaker's best interests.
Oh! Now I get it. I thought "definitive" meant true in this context. To be honest though I don't understand why Scott wasn't happy with the director’s cut. It has the crappy ending instead of the happy ending, they made Deckard a replicant and they removed the voice over. They basically ruined the film. I wonder how many times Scott will drag Blade Runner through a mixture of mud, pig guts and recycled Takashi Miike DVDs (Although I do like The happiness of the Katakuris a lot.) before he's satisfied with it.
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin
Skycladiana
Runner

Post by Skycladiana »

ratperson665 wrote:
Missing wrote:
Oh! Now I get it. I thought "definitive" meant true in this context. To be honest though I don't understand why Scott wasn't happy with the director’s cut. It has the crappy ending instead of the happy ending, they made Deckard a replicant and they removed the voice over. They basically ruined the film. I wonder how many times Scott will drag Blade Runner through a mixture of mud, pig guts and recycled Takashi Miike DVDs (Although I do like The happiness of the Katakuris a lot.) before he's satisfied with it.
Let me get this straight: You prefer the theatrical version of Blade Runner to Ridley Scott's version? Jeez. Now I've heard everything.

Anyway, the "Director's Cut" video and DVD done back in 92 wasn't a true director's cut because Warner Bros. wasn't willing to give Scott the extra money and time to fully process, refurbish and restore the film's quality-- what you have is essentially a minimally enhanced workprint with the narration and happy ending cut, as well as the unicorn and a couple of extra-violent scenes reinserted. Scott's said there were a few other scenes he wanted to reincorporate into the film, like a scene where Deckard visits a fellow detective in the hospital, but was unable to due to his schedule directing 1492 and what WB was willing to shill out. A few years back, Scott was finally able to do a comprehensive director's cut of the film, restoring the image quality to the best it could possibly be, bringing back lost scenes and using digital technology to fix a few continuity errors in dialogue and clean up any wires, rods etc. showing up in the special effects. However, the film's original producers-- the Yerkoviches, I believe-- refused to release the film due to money, license rights and a falling out with Ridley Scott during the original production of the film. Now, finally, it seems that Scott's preffered cut-- as well as all the other versions, including the "Happy Ending" one, in case you're wondering-- will at last see the light of day.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't call the "definitive" edits of Pat Garret or Mr. Arkadin to be gimmicks at all. It's a relief that people nowadays respect the work of directors like Peckinpah and Welles enough that they want to pay them the respect of restoring their mangled works to something they might have approved of. On the Criterion Arkadin, for example, the editors of the new edition freely admit that their work is mainly an approximation of what Welles would have wanted, and that it's impossible to tell conclusively how he would have recut the film. Another case is Walter Murch's restoration of Touch of Evil, a film rereleased after Welles' death, but edited according to a 44 page memo dictating how he wanted the movie to be presented. Again, at best this is a kind of well-intentioned, well-researched guesswork, but at least it represents Welles' vision better than the edits turned out by studio executives. I swear, if anybody ever finds the missing hour of The Magnificent Ambersons that people will do their best to reincorporate it into the body of the film we have today, and even so it probably won't match perfectly with what Welles had in mind, and that detractors will likely complain about it just as in these cases, or even latter day revisionist directors who tinker, for better or worse, on their own products themselves like Lucas, Coppola or Scott.

At the very least though, I'll reiterate, it's better to have these attempts to respect a director's work out there than what is often left behind by studio executives.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Skycladiana wrote:
Let me get this straight: You prefer the theatrical version of Blade Runner to Ridley Scott's version? Jeez. Now I've heard everything.
The director's cut was far to ambiguous in its ending for me, the lack of narration took a lot from the film noir element and the whole "Deckard is a replicant" thing was idiotic to say the least.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

ratperson665 wrote:The director's cut was far to ambiguous in its ending for me, the lack of narration took a lot from the film noir element and the whole "Deckard is a replicant" thing was idiotic to say the least.
It was the original version shown by the director after all, the one that was released is the one that was butchered by the studio without knowledge by either the writters or the director, based purely in commercial purposed and targeted for the masses (it doesn't requiere people to think at all, ready for consumption for your typical audience).

So I guess it does make sense now.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

I still happen to see Syd Mead as the creative hand in Blade Runner...not Ridley Scott. If anything, Syd Mead should be releasing a version as he really saw it (even though that's really the international cut more than anything.)

But anyway, this is great news :) Any word on the price? I know boxset DVDs tend to go for around $40+ @___@
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:
ratperson665 wrote:The director's cut was far to ambiguous in its ending for me, the lack of narration took a lot from the film noir element and the whole "Deckard is a replicant" thing was idiotic to say the least.
It was the original version shown by the director after all, the one that was released is the one that was butchered by the studio without knowledge by either the writters or the director, based purely in commercial purposed and targeted for the masses (it doesn't requiere people to think at all, ready for consumption for your typical audience).

So I guess it does make sense now.
I don't think the VO reveals ANY of the themes. It just serves in making Deckard a deeper character by giving him emotions.
Ninja Kurosai
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Ninja Kurosai »

Themes? What themes? That theory about Deckard being a replicant was crap Scott started spewing after the DC was release in '92. The original format of the film is a film noir set in the future. Thus, the VO. Without it, the plot has some rather big holes that can't be explained.
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Ninja Kurosai wrote:Themes? What themes? That theory about Deckard being a replicant was crap Scott started spewing after the DC was release in '92. The original format of the film is a film noir set in the future. Thus, the VO. Without it, the plot has some rather big holes that can't be explained.
I agree with you. The Deck-a-rep thing was rely stupid! When I said themes I meant the philosophies that the film brings to the table. I too like the VO. So I understand were your coming from.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

*Sigh* Those Vo were in no script.. they were iinserted at the last minute... by other people that were not the writers. They are neither on the book or on anything up to the last screenplay that the studio people set up at the last minute.

And the film is cyberpunk and was supposed to be science fiction. No matter what visual style was selected, but those are the ways it was writen as. Anyway, it is the way fans have always wanted oit to be and the only format still missing on a home consumer format. You already have the VO version available, and the DC. This would be the only missing.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:*Sigh* Those Vo were in no script.. they were iinserted at the last minute... by other people that were not the writers. They are neither on the book or on anything up to the last screenplay that the studio people set up at the last minute.
Artemio, I hate to tell you this, but there was a VO included in the original 1980 script.
Attachments
script80.txt
The first Blade Runner screenplay
(203.4 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

It is very difficult to say that was the original script. As a matter of fact it was one of the drafts.. and it was only an idea:
Who wrote the "voiceover" in the original theatrical release version of BR?

Producers decided a voiceover was required to explain things. Darryl Ponicsan was first hired to write the VO, but his version was tossed out. Then a veteran TV screenwriter named Roland Kibbee was hired to write it and this is what was used. Why he was chosen is a mystery particularly as he was all but retired (his career spanning 1946-1980). Ford was still contracted and reluctantly came in to the studio to read the voiceover, but said he would only do it 10 times and that was it. According to Katie Haber (production executive), he read it the way he did on purpose, hoping it wouldn't then be used. In their interview for the BR documentary, Peoples and Fancher say that by the time the movie came out they had become friends and when they heard the voiceover, they were so worried about the possibility that the other had written it, they didn't make any negative comments about it for months afterwards. Note that a voiceover was actually included as an idea in earlier scripts and a few of the lines are reminiscent of that, so it isn't as totally tacked-on as the "happy ending".

Scott didn't like the way the excessive "Irving the Explainer" voiceover turned out (and didn't want it added on anyway) so when the pseudo-Director's Cut was made, this was one of the first things to be excised. It will definitely not be reintroduced in the Special Edition!
http://brmovie.com/FAQs/BR_FAQ_Miscellaneous.htm#VO

Theatrical versions

The 1982 American and European theatrical versions released by the studio included a "happy ending" (using stock footage from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining) and a voice-over added at the request of studio executives during post-production after test audience members indicated difficulty understanding the film. Although several different versions of the script had included a voice-over of some sort, both Ridley Scott and Harrison Ford disliked the studio V.O. and resisted having it added to the film. It's been rumored Ford intentionally did the voice-over poorly in the hope it wouldn't be used,[21] but recent interviews indicate otherwise.[22]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:
And the film is cyberpunk and was supposed to be science fiction.
I never considered BR cyberpunk. It is sci-fi but it's a bit to elegant to be cyberpunk.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

ratperson665 wrote:I never considered BR cyberpunk. It is sci-fi but it's a bit to elegant to be cyberpunk.
A shame.. just read the definition for it and you'll see it is the most influential visual work of the genre. You should at least read a bit more of the subjects you are trying to discuss. Wikipedia, a very direct source, might help you when doing rushed discussions (as you seem to like), but I'd recommend doing deeper research anyway.

http://brmovie.com/FAQs/BR_FAQ_Cyberpunk.htm
http://brmovie.com/FAQs/BR_FAQ_BR_Influence.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

"The world of 2019 Los Angeles as imagined by Syd Mead for Blade Runner, which is an influential cyberpunk film."

or the Blade Runner entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner

"It remains a foremost exemplar of cyberpunk and neo-noir and observers continue to see its myriad influence on culture."
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

ratperson665 wrote:I never considered BR cyberpunk. It is sci-fi but it's a bit to elegant to be cyberpunk.
Is you on crack?
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

OtakupunkX wrote:
Is you on crack?
It just isn't cyberpunk! Cyberpunk always involves the protagonist fighting machines and Deckard does not fight machines. That's the "cyber" in cyberpunk. While Blade Runner is sci-fi it's a very sophisticated and elegant film with a thought provoking philosophy about life and death, and this is not to be found in any true cyberpunk movie. In cyberpunk films the hero always dies at the end, and while it's very likely that Deckard will die in the director's cut, he does live long enough to see the ending of the film.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

Again... you type without knowing what you are talking about...
Cyberpunk writers tend to use elements from the hard-boiled detective novel, film noir, and postmodernist prose to describe the often nihilistic underground side of an electronic society. The genre's vision of a troubled future is often called the antithesis of the generally utopian visions of the future popular in the 1940s and 1950s. (Gibson defined cyberpunk's antipathy towards utopian SF in his 1981 short story "The Gernsback Continuum", which pokes fun of and, to a certain extent, condemns utopian SF.)
Where the heck do you get your "definitions" from? You create them in your own world and then try to push it to us? Is it the way you'd like things to be?

Sorry man, but don't expect much more answers from me in the future. I am tired of talking to a wall and getting no coherent response back. Try to document yourself before typing. Otherwise it is pointless and just creates a lot of spam here in the boards.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
ratperson665
Captain
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)

Post by ratperson665 »

Snatcher wrote:Again... you type without knowing what you are talking about...
Cyberpunk writers tend to use elements from the hard-boiled detective novel, film noir, and postmodernist prose to describe the often nihilistic underground side of an electronic society. The genre's vision of a troubled future is often called the antithesis of the generally utopian visions of the future popular in the 1940s and 1950s. (Gibson defined cyberpunk's antipathy towards utopian SF in his 1981 short story "The Gernsback Continuum", which pokes fun of and, to a certain extent, condemns utopian SF.)
Where the heck do you get your "definitions" from? You create them in your own world and then try to push it to us? Is it the way you'd like things to be?

Sorry man, but don't expect much more answers from me in the future. I am tired of talking to a wall and getting no coherent response back. Try to document yourself before typing. Otherwise it is pointless and just creates a lot of spam here in the boards.
Sorry about that. I took the term to literally.
Artemio
Site Admin

Post by Artemio »

ratperson665 wrote:Sorry about that. I took the term to literally.
Then you were discussing about a movie you just saw with people that watched it tenths of times without understanding what you were talking about, not even what were the terms being discussed?
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]