How'd you find and why'd you join JunkerHQ?

Discussion for anything non-gaming.
Duo

How'd you find and why'd you join JunkerHQ?

Post by Duo »

I took part in the Metal Gear.Net wars a few years back with Osiris and Artemio where we were all regulars. Though I've always known about junker.hq, I didn't realize it had a forum until recently. I always used to visit the site for it's kojima scripts. After a long while, I quit being a drill instructor, so I moved out here for some peace and quiet. I'm in retirement just like Osiris. Though, once in a while he still helps train the Junkyard Scouts. So, how'd you end up here?
He is one, he is many.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Great first topic.

Me, I guess one day I was just doing a search on Snatcher or Policenauts or something and found this site with all this info in it. I couldn't believe how much of a treasure trove it was. Over the years I would check it every so often, occassionally e-mailing Artemio (who I now consider a good friend) about something, and now, many years later, here I am.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

"You... still consider me a friend?"

It is great to see you around here Duo, welcome. You know what was weird? When I read your posts I thought you'd been around here for quite a while, until I checked that your account was just recently opened =P

I am glad to see you guys around here, this place wouldn't be the same otherwise.
Last edited by Artemio on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Duo

Post by Duo »

heh, perfect!
He is one, he is many.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Well? Let's hear your story, Snatcher. How'd you find this place?
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

hehehe..

Well, I always had a personal site.. (always being somewhere around 1996), but it wasn't something like Junker. At first it was hosted at College, then at a friend's server (he is a vide game magazine editor) and finally I moved to my own domain.

Junker started off because I wanted to translate Policenauts and Snatcher. I knew no Japanese at the time (and I have advanced just a little in that respect) and was simply attempting to dump the text. Before having the Junkerhq domain, I had already "dumped" the Snatcher text from the Sega CD version, but since I had worked in a fan translation after I did that, I decided to do a better dump. I found out that Takamichi had commented on the dump I made and had posted some differences between the MSX and sega CD versions, and this fired up my curiosity even more so.

I bought the domain, put the site up and started working. At first that was the only intention behind the site, but since I had been collecting Snatcher stuff and had bought some Policenauts and MG stuff as well...

I have always had this passion to search for little differences, and to find more about the stuff I like. So I wanted to present how different versions of Snatcher and Policenauts looked like, and what we were missing out. Since my friends would just look at me in a weird way when I showed them my different Snatcher versions, I posted the scans.. and hence the site grew in an unexpected direction.

The collaborations from Osiris, Takamichi, James and other good friends started flowing, and I wanted to concentrate all that. From that same context, one day I decided the guest book was trash, but wanted to replace it with something.. and hence these boards were born. At first I thought they'd die soon.. but I was gladly proved wrong by a great community that I respect and admire.

I believe that is about it =P
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

My story is a very boring case of searching Google for Hideo Kojima. I'd browsed the site a few times, and felt that the forums had the kind of userbase I could enjoy talking to, so I joined and I've been a member, since.
randomwab
Second Lieutenant

Post by randomwab »

What are these wars that were mentioned? My story isn't that great, a google image search for MGS Kubricks led me to Shadow Moses, I got to talking with the site owner, James, who directed me here for more Kojima related info
OtakupunkX
Second Lieutenant

Post by OtakupunkX »

I was googling something Kojima-related for a school project and stumbled across here one day. I was extremely interested in all of the scans and stuff and spent a long time viewing everything and a few weeks later I somehow ended up in the forums and figured it'd be a good place to hang out online.

Come to find out, it's better than a good place to hang out online.
Junker_05
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: At the moment, Team Fortress 2.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid (PSone)
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP)
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 (PSP)
Policenauts (PSone)
Snatcher (Mega CD)

Post by Junker_05 »

Well, the first time I played Snatcher was on my Mega CD when I was only three years old, back when I was a wee lad. I had some idea of what I was doing, because Dad had directed me through the game and told me what was going on. I was a better shot with the Justifier than progressing through the game, though. :grin: Sadly, my Justifier and Mega CD were sold when I was five years old. I was extremely cut.

Ten years pass and I'm a Metal Gear Solid and old school game enthusiast. I was searching for other games that Kojima had done in the past, and I came across Snatcher again. And all the memories came rushing back...

I got into a Snatcher frenzy and downloaded a copy from the 'net, but while searching for sites to download it from, I came across JunkerHQ and the forum boards, and thought "Cool, some fellow old-school gamers!" and joined.

Not exciting, but I'm home sick from school with nothing to do, so here we are. :grin:
"Don't get even - GET MAD!" - Joker, Batman: The Killing Joke
Painaxl
Runner

Post by Painaxl »

I had read and enjoyed Tim Rogers' exposition on the ending to MGS2 and wished to read it again at work... no dice, insertcredit.com is blocked here. I searched for a mirror. I found one here along with an ending analysis more detailed then I could have imagined. Started checking back for updates.

I really got active before MGS3 came out. This place seems a lot more quiet and intellectual then the other sites dedicated to the MGS series. I then bought a Sega CD for the soul purpose of playing Snatcher. Still haven't finished it though (I'm right at the start of Act III, I believe).

Anyways, yeah, that's how I got here.
Cyan Garamonde
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: SoL
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
Metal Gear Solid 3: SE
Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence
Metal Gear Solid 4
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Post by Cyan Garamonde »

My story is quite similar to what has already been said. I googled on Hideo Kojima and MGS, and found the main site. The site is really a gem. Then I found the forum, and started reading some of the posts. Whenever I wanted some cool new info about, say, something new Konami had announced about MGS4, I found it here, way before any other site had written about it.
A good way to impress on friends in other words! :P

Anyway, after seeing how this forum always had interesting, intellectual discussions, as Painaxl said, I decided to join. These boards are a great contrast to a lot of other forums out there.
Omega579
Runner
Favorite Game: Street Fighter II
PSN: Omega579

Post by Omega579 »

I found the site from a link on Gamefaqs to the MGS2 ending analysis. The Gamefaqs message boards are full of kids perpetuating the latest forum fads. So to get away from it all I joined these ranks. I'm 31 years old and a lot of the members here have the same interests in movies and games so I feel very comfortable here.
Modnar
J.U.N.K.E.R.

Post by Modnar »

...I kinda ended up here a few years ago....im no good with stories....
Snake700
Major

Post by Snake700 »

I found this forum though a link from (the now dead) Aumman website. I joined it because you guys where talking about Snatcher and Policenauts, and i wanted to know more about them (aand play them)
What?

Say what say what one more time i dare i double dare you mother f##### say what one more god damm time

from Pulp Fiction
Solidé
Captain
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Kojima games owned: All major Metal Gear Solid Games & MGA's, and other spinoffs.
Policenauts for Playstation, Saturn and 3DO.
Snatcher for PC Engine, Saturn and Sega CD.
Zone of the enders games for PS2.
Boktai games and Lunar Knights.
PSN: Solide18

Post by Solidé »

I have known this place like years now, so i can't really remember how i originally found this place.
Anyway, i decided to join this forum because i like every Hideo Kojima games, not just MGS. And since there isn't actually other forums like this, so i tought this is the right place for me :smile:
http://hkfin.org/ Finnish Hideo Kojima Fan Forum
ratperson665
Captain
Favorite Game: Suikoden 2
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Acid
Snatcher(Sega CD)
Policenauts(PSX)
Metal Gear(Subsistence Version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake(Subsistence Version)

Post by ratperson665 »

I found this site after Googleing Snatcher. After a long period of reading your discussions I decided to become a member. The reason I became a member is I am a HUGE Hideo Kojima fan and nobody I’ve ever talked to even knows who he is! So I thought it would be fun to discus his games with other fans. I was right. You guys are better conversationalists than most of the people I talk to in person!
"Don't worry I got an idea. An Idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was taking about."-Peter Griffin