Policenauts Emulation Guide

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Re: Policenauts Emulation Guide

Post by Artemio »

In that case yorucd drive must be at fault, it seems it is not capable of ripping a 100% true copy.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snaaake

Post by Snaaake »

skwatter wrote:Any help?
So you have the images on your computer in bin/cue format? Just rename the .bin files to "Policenauts1.iso" and "Policenauts2.iso" and then convert those to English with XD3.
skwatter
Favorite Game: Too many to name.
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by skwatter »

Thank you, Snaaake, what you said to do worked perfectly. I can now play the game very well on EPSXE. If anyone is having issues with the sound on this game then I would suggest you use the default EPSXE sound core plugin. On my computer it works very well and perhaps it may work for you.

Anyways, I would like to thank everyone on this site for what they did to make this game happen.
I loved snatcher and I can't wait to see Policenauts.

Out of curiosity, has this project seen any 15 minutes of fame? has it been spoken of on electronic gaming shows or the like? It would be neat if that happened.

See you later.
Prefab

Post by Prefab »

ePSXe seems to do a fairly decent job, though it hung after I did the change discs going between the first and second disc (it showed the next title card, then just sat there).

The bit near the end in the lobby for some reason was all black before you get into the elevator and the rolling credits was blank with just sound (luckily you can find it on Youtube). This was with the OpenGL plugin if that helps at all.
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

Prefab wrote:ePSXe seems to do a fairly decent job, though it hung after I did the change discs going between the first and second disc (it showed the next title card, then just sat there).

The bit near the end in the lobby for some reason was all black before you get into the elevator and the rolling credits was blank with just sound (luckily you can find it on Youtube). This was with the OpenGL plugin if that helps at all.
All of that is covered in the README.
topraman517
Kojima games owned: MGS 1-4

Post by topraman517 »

Great emulation guide, Snatcher42. However one strange thing happened to me when using the sound settings recommended. The sound came out extremely distorted when playing Policenauts. Once I set the Interpolation to 0, the problem stopped. The weird part is, I decided to switch back to Cubic Interpolation (option 3), and now it's fine! Just thought some people might want to know.

Also, I don't think the BIOS has to be Japanese, but it's best to stay on the safe side I suppose.

And a huge thanks to the translation team! Ever since I played Snatcher in 2004, I have been waiting to play Policenauts. Playing it will definitely be one of the highlights of my upcoming winter break.
Sharec
Kojima games owned: MGS 1
Policenauts

Post by Sharec »

BIOS does not have to be Japanese.

Yes the sound is acting up when using Option 2 for petes PSU. Option 0 and 3 work fine, quality-wise option 3 recommended.
You do not have to rely on the software plugins tho. Petes OpenGL rendere works perfect for me and others with the settings shown below:

Great game, great patch, lot's of fun :D
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

Any chance of an update? epsxe is on version 1.9.0 now and it's probable that there are better plugins now
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
TechNoir
Runner
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by TechNoir »

AwesomeBrand wrote:epsxe is on version 1.9.0 now
Jeez, I lived under a rock for too long.
Holy shit I'm smoking in SPAAAACE! - AwesomeBrand
best name ever
Second Lieutenant
Favorite Game: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel and Boktai

Post by best name ever »

Yes ePSXe is now version 1.9.0. It introduces allot of fixes.
The plugin improvements that have happened since 2009 are PEOPS DSound getting several unofficial updates that actually drastically improve sound quality and a new GPU plugin named gpuBladeSoft that is currently the most accurate GPU plugin out there.
(Links)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/peopssp ... s/Archive/
http://ngemu.com/threads/edgblas-gpubladesoft.144037/

Though I never did a new play through of Policenauts with these plugin's...
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!
AwesomeBrand
J.U.N.K.E.R.
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 2
Kojima games owned: In order of how I originally played them...
Metal Gear Solid
MGS2 Substance
MGS3 Subsistence
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Peace Walker
MGS HD Collection
ZoE HD Collection
PSN: AwesomeBrand
Xbox Live: AwesomeBr0

Post by AwesomeBrand »

EDIT: For some reason I couldn't get the graphic one to work following the readme's instructions so I didn't bother but considering most of the game screenshots used to show it off in that forum post are in 3D I don't know if it'd do anything for Policenauts, using OpenGL2 with policenauts just smudges up the text and gives it a weird outline.

As for the sound plugin it could be that I set it up wrong but it kept stopping for half a second randomly, and it did this 3 or 4 times.
"Games are a study about people." - Hideo Kojima 2004
"To fans and myself, games are a dream." - Keiji Inafune 2003
"Games are life itself." - Hiroyuki Kobayashi 2003
"Why're ya taking this game so seriously?" - Beat Takeshi 1986
bellinm77

Post by bellinm77 »

Marc wrote:Policenauts Emulation Walkthrough

by Alexander Lombardi Koch (a.k.a. Snake Plissken)

Here is a quick prep guide for those new to PS emulation, and how to use certain modded video and sound plugins. I will walk you through setting up ePSXe with suggested settings, and cover any other pertinent issues. If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

So to cut to brass:

-----------------Backing up your CDs----------------
(Skip this step if your personal copy is already backed up and ready for play.)

1. Get ISO Producer (http://www.aldostools.com/isoproducer.html)
2. Insert whichever CD and open the program. It will lag a bit, but this is normal, in order to read the CD.
3. Go under Configure Plugin and select "Try Auto Detection".
--If this fails to work, configure the drive settings to reflect the settings of your own drive, or the desired caching modes you see fit.

WARNING: Select one of the lowest ripping speeds under "Misc". Shoot between 4-8x. Trust me, it's veeeeeery sensitive.

4. Accept the magic settings and begin your backup into the preferred location on your hard drive.

-------------------------[ePSXe 1.60 Emulator setup]-----------------------
1. Download the emulator (https://businessdirectorynewyork.com/).
2. Extract all your video, sound, CD-ROM, and controller plugins to the "Plugins" folder of the main "ePSXe" directory.
3. NOTE: You will need the PS BIOS (JAP) file to run the game, though we dentista pavia belgioioso do not provide this here due to legal reasons.
4. Start up ePSXe.
5. If the wizard does not prompt at startup, go under config and select "Wizard Guide".
6. Continue by clicking "Config".
7. It will first prompt for BIOS. Select and click next.
8. Next it will prompt for Video Plugin. Select "Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.7", and go under "Config".
--Set the default settings to "Nice" (bottom-left corner).
--Set any other shading options you prefer (the more powerful the system the better), and the Desktop Resolution.
9. Continue onto the Sound Settings and select "Pete's DSound Audio Driver 1.15" as your sound plugin. Continue.
10. Now it will ask for the CD-ROM drive you would prefer. Choose "ePSXe DERMATOLOGO PAVIA core 1.5.2." Go under its Config and set the Drive located in preference to the false drive your image is on (if you're using DAEMON Tools, for instance).
11. Configure your controller with either the keyboard or controller, then click Next and you're done.
12. Included here are some additional CD-ROM and controller plugins in case some of you have problems with the default.
13. When you feel everything is set, go under File, and click "Run CD-ROM", or "Run ISO" if you prefer to run it directly from the image (it doesn't matter).

These are special video and sound plugins for PN developed by Peter Bernert, and modified/recoded by Alexander Lombardi Koch for easy acceleration and direction of PN's emulation (modded for simplicity of starting it up and playing without frame rate bugs, and video footage enhancement for pixel garbage).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ePSXe is © 2002 The ePSXe Team. All logos and symbols are trademark of their respective owners. http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/epsxe.html
Pete's DSound Audio Driver 1.15 & D3D Driver 1.73 were created by Peter Bernet, 2004; modified and recoded with permission by Alexander Lombardi Koch, 2005.
http://www.pbernert.com/html/dev.htm
hI ALEX,

I have an issue in opening the archive you attached, I use iOS default app. to open it and I get unzip crashed...

could you attach it again, or I will need to use any specific app?

thank you in advance