Policenauts Emulation Guide

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marc
General

Re: Policenauts Emulation Guide

Post by Marc »

Just so you know, we'll have an updated emulation guide in the readme.
Ikuzak
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid
Kojima games owned: metal gear solid PC pal
metal gear solid: the twin snakes pal
metal gear solid: substance PC pal
metal gear solid 2: sons of liberty PS2 pal
metal gear solid 3: snake eater pal
metal gear solid 3: subsistence pal
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal
metal gear solid: portable ops us
metal gear solid: digital graphic novel

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1
PSN: Randam1984
Xbox Live: Ikuzak

Post by Ikuzak »

Marc wrote:Just so you know, we'll have an updated emulation guide in the readme.
thats great.

what im asking myself is, will it be possible to play it on my moddet PSP?
Souther
PSN: Cyclonus

Post by Souther »

If you can patch the ISO's successfully and then create an EBOOT from said Iso's then yes...you should be able to, you will also need to see if the game is even playable under the various popstation firmwares.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

it has been stated several times that it has been tested in PSX, PSP and PS2.. as well as the supported emus.

regards

Artemio
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Hey guys, thanks again for this amazing work. One question, is there any particular reason why the readme recommends P.E.Op.S. Soft Plugin 1.13 as opposed to the latest 1.18 build? Also where can we download 1.13, I can't seem to find it?
viscera

Post by viscera »

Hi, I am very thankful for translation project. I am having problems setting my cddrive options.. when i try to go into the configure menu for the "ePSXe CDR ASPI core 1.5.2." it gives me a "init aspi 235" error. So I kinda dug around this thread and I took a glance at this post
James_The_Stampede wrote:
seraphssavior wrote:O.K. I'm still having a bit of trouble...the lag thing that was mentioned earlier is present during cutscenes. My sound will all of a sudden stop, and the game will continue, causing a sync error. I cannot get the CDROM ASPI core 1.5.2 to work, it comes up with an error every time I try to hit config. It says "Error cannot load WNASPI32.dll" Is there any way to fix this?
Try using this: http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm. I had that problem eons ago and it drove me nuts.

but when i tried to use that app it said something about not supporting my system.. so i decided to mess around with the other cd drive plug ins but no go.

I am able to load the game to the main menu but when i select "new game" it just tells me " insert disc 1 ", i tried mounting it on daemon tools and no go (i set the plug in config to the right drive).

I hope someone can help me out.
Ikuzak
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1

Post by Ikuzak »

Souther wrote:If you can patch the ISO's successfully and then create an EBOOT from said Iso's then yes...you should be able to, you will also need to see if the game is even playable under the various popstation firmwares.
i dunno, i tried it yesterday but it didnt work.

edit: now ive made an eboot just of disk 1 and it works.
so, what should i do with disk 2? make a second eboot of it?

or would it work somehow, when i put them togehter?
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

What I did was make a second eboot, play off the first, and then save at the end. Then reload the save at the second eboot.

I've heard you can do multi-disk eboots, but I'm honestly not sure how.
viscera

Post by viscera »

well in response to my post, i managed to getting it going, it turns out the iso's were labeled wrong, disc 2 was actually disc 1 so thats why it just kept asking me for disc 1 for the whole time. wow.
infinityBCRT
Favorite Game: Metal Gear Solid 3
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear Solid Essential Collection (Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence Disc 1), Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (both discs), Metal Gear Solid 4
PSN: infinityBCRT
Xbox Live: infinityBCRT

Re:

Post by infinityBCRT »

Solidé wrote:I was emulating my policenauts today and i followed instructions that is in the first post of this topic. But i have to say that the game plays much smoother and with no problems during cutscenes by using these plugins:

Sound plugin: Eternal SPU Plugin
Video plugin: Pete's Soft GPU-plugin

I recommend at least to try the game with these plugins, it fixed all my emulating problems.

Except one, i havent figured this out yet. When i exit the ePSXe, the sound of game still plays on, even if the emulaator is shut down. And it is really annoying, i just have to reset my computer everytime when i have played the game. :???:
What settings are you using for Eternal?
Frogacuda
Favorite Game: Too many to list.

Post by Frogacuda »

Does anyone know how to adjust ePSXe's mouse sensitivity? The default is notoriously high and impervious to Windows' settings as well. The in-game cursor speed options don't affect shooting, so it's trouble all around.
Ikuzak
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1

Post by Ikuzak »

slowbeef wrote:What I did was make a second eboot, play off the first, and then save at the end. Then reload the save at the second eboot.

I've heard you can do multi-disk eboots, but I'm honestly not sure how.
allright.
so ive 1 last question, when i create those 2 eboots, the save title has to be the same, hasnt it??

edit: a friend told me, there are problems when u put pics/icons on ur eboot!?!?
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

I just made 2 seperate Eboots i have Pictures and music on my patched eboot works like a charm!
Love playing this already Thanks to all the Folk who made this happen at JunkerHq
Ikuzak
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1

Post by Ikuzak »

Prawn wrote:I just made 2 seperate Eboots i have Pictures and music on my patched eboot works like a charm!
Love playing this already Thanks to all the Folk who made this happen at JunkerHq
both have to have the same save title?

and when i put pics to the eboot it wont start.. :(

can u send me yours? or the source?
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

Edit: Problems solved, ignore this.

Great work on the patch, guys, though I'm unsure about the Britishisms ("bloody hell!" and "how are you, mate?"). They don't seem right somehow. Don't get me wrong, though - that's just an observation rather than a moan. I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity to finally play this. Nice touch with the release date, too ("August 24th - a day I'll never forget").
Last edited by Rick Deckard on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
HellHammer
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
MGS
MGS2
MGS3
PSN: EvanOgre

Post by HellHammer »

I've got an issue. I'm an idiot and decided to use pSX and when I came to the second disc, I'm unable, no matter what I try, to advance past that point.
I've since acquired PSXe and it seems to work much better, however my save states from pSX aren't compatible. I've attempted to convert it over using two different programs, but to no avail.

Could I trouble anyone to upload a PSXe (or even PSP) compatible save file from the VERY beginning of disc 2? Thanks in advance.
Since 2042
slowbeef
Policenaut Hacker
Favorite Game: Snatcher

Post by slowbeef »

Do you mean memory card file?

You can convert them from pSX format to ePSXe and vice-versa with Memory Card Rex.
HellHammer
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear
MGS
MGS2
MGS3
PSN: EvanOgre

Post by HellHammer »

slowbeef wrote:Do you mean memory card file?

You can convert them from pSX format to ePSXe and vice-versa with Memory Card Rex.
No, I couldn't get the memory card to format correctly so I was forced to use .psv save states.
And MemorycardRex was one of the programs that I attempted to use, with no luck.

EDIT:Nevermind. I just realized I could use my JP saves!! Second disc, here I come.
Since 2042
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Ikuza make sure you use Popstation Gui 300 to convert the Eboot
the earlier version of popstation would not work for some reason after i applied the patch seemed to hang on the konami logo.

If your still struggling let me know and ill help you out.
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

I have uploaded Popstation 300, policenauts Icon, Background and the Atrac3 encoded music file for you to use with psp. You will need Winrar to extract them approx 1.2Mb download.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O5P17G3S
Ikuzak
metal gear acid pal
metal gear acid 2 pal

Zone of the Enders pal
Zone of the Enders 2 pal

Snatcher Mega CD pal

Policenauts PS1

Post by Ikuzak »

Prawn wrote:I have uploaded Popstation 300, policenauts Icon, Background and the Atrac3 encoded music file for you to use with psp. You will need Winrar to extract them approx 1.2Mb download.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O5P17G3S
thanks man.

other question: im playing pn for a while now, can i make a new eboot with ocons and stufe and continue the old game i started?
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Ikuzak wrote:thanks man.

other question: im playing pn for a while now, can i make a new eboot with ocons and stufe and continue the old game i started?
Yes you can mate but when you are making the new Eboot with the icons you will have to make sure you give it the same game id and gamesave id as the old eboot that your going to delete. ie Policenauts [Disc 1 of 3]and Scus 12345.
Snatcher42
Favorite Game: Snatcher!
Kojima games owned: Snatcher (Sega CD & PC Engine), Policenauts (PSX & Saturn), MGS 1 & 2 (PC)

Post by Snatcher42 »

Here's my emulation guide. A lot of people have been asking how to best emulate Policenauts, so I decided to write this detailing the settings I used after much testing. I think they offer the best experience possible, although there's no one way to emulate Policenauts perfectly, and even this has a few short-comings. Pausing with the ESC key and then resuming emulation will cause a crash, and the end credits don't scroll smoothly (though they do display). Other than that it should be fine. A huge thanks again to the translation team for realizing a dream many of us have held for years! So anyway, to get started...

Download and extract ePSXe:
http://www.epsxe.com/files/epsxe170.zip

Download these and extract them to ePSXe's plugins folder:
http://www.pbernert.com/gpupeopssoftwin118b.zip
http://www.pbernert.com/spupeopsdsound109.zip

You'll also need a Japanese PlayStation bios in the ePSXe bios folder.

Start the emulator, click "Config", and go to "Wizard".

Click "Config >>". Pick a bios and then click "Next".

At the video plugin selection, click "P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.18" and then click "Config" (not "Next" yet!).

Now we're in the video plugin options. Start by clicking "Nice" under default settings in the lower left hand corner, but we're gonna change a few other things as well.

For both windowed and full screen settings (you can switch back and forth in game with alt+enter) I recommend either 640x480 (2x the game's resolution) or 1280x960 (4x), with default refresh rate and 32bit color depth.

Under "Stretching" I recommend selecting "2xSaI stretching (needs a fast cpu)". This sharpens the picture a bit, without being too blocky like the other filters.

Finally, enable "Wait for VSYNC" under options. We're done here now, so click "OK" to return to the wizard, and then "Next" to move onto sound settings.

Under sound settings, select "P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9", and click "Config". There are less settings here so I'll just run through them all:

Mode: 0 Fast. Volume: 2 Loud. Reverb: 2 PSX. Interpolation: 3 Cubic. XA Music: both checked. Misc: just the first (wait for cpu) checked.

Hit "OK" then "Next". The cdrom config doesn't really apply to us, so choose anything and click "Next".

Controller config. Click "Controller 1". In the drop-down menu in the upper right, choose "Digital/Mouse (F5)". Pressing F5 during gameplay will now toggle between mouse and keyboard control.

Tip: Mouse control is ideal for most of the game, however some sequences are easier if you use the keyboard. You may want to assign the auto-aiming left and right "1" shoulder buttons of the PlayStation controller, along with triangle for reload and circle or square for shoot, to keys that are easy to press!

Click "OK", "Next", and "Done" to return to the main screen of the emulator. Now just go to "File" and "Run ISO" to begin the game!
Nikita

Post by Nikita »

HellHammer wrote:EDIT:Nevermind. I just realized I could use my JP saves!! Second disc, here I come.
Would you (or enyone else for that matter) mind uploading those? I seem to be having the same problem.
skwatter
Favorite Game: Too many to name.
Kojima games owned: Snatcher, Policenauts

Post by skwatter »

I am having trouble converting the Policenauts CDs to ISO images that work on my computer.

I have used both MagicISO and Alcohol120%, both yielding the same results.

The dos window that opens when you try to convert gives me an error stating:

Xdelta3: Source file too short: XD3 Internal.

It gives me this message for both of the discs.

I wish to also state that the ISO images made from the discs do not work at all on EPSXE 1.7.0, even though the bin/cue rips I have tried work perfectly, but not in English.

Any help?

Thanks.