Favourite Art Of The Versions Of The Game?

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Favourite Art Of The Versions Of The Game?

Post by Henry Spencer »

Which art did you like best of the versions. I personally liked the Sega Saturn version's the most, simply because it had the quality of the Playstation version, however, with a few new drawings, such as ones for characters; especially Michael Saito and Jun Ishida, that I liked. So, overall, I liked the Playstations art, as it was the biggest step up from the other versions, however, I liked the Sega Saturn's new additions. I do have a soft spot for the artwork which I have seen in the PC98 version as well though, looks very unique and brilliant. But of the versions of the game that I have played, I like the Saturn version's art the most.
Last edited by Henry Spencer on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

I like the Playstation version the most because...it's the only one I've played.

But if someone is willing to send me his copy of the PC98 version of Policenauts, so that I can play that version, I wouldn't mind.

Seriously, from all I've seen of the PC98 version so far, I think I would like that version the most, talking heads, the original character/background design as well as Old LA 2040 as opening theme.

Edit: Argh. Didn't notice that it's just about the art.

Well, I'd still say the PC98 version, from what I've seen.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

I wonder what other games there are for the PC98 that look as good as Policenauts?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Overall I like the Saturn's the best. As much as I like the extra details in the PC-98, as well as the talking heads, some of the background and character designs don't look as good. I also prefer the color display of the console versions a little more, and since the Saturn version is the best of those, I have to go with it. I like the additional close-ups it has too. My favorite version of the backgrounds, by the way, would be the console version design sketches in the Visual Databook. I wish they'd been able to make the ones in the game look as nice as those.

As for other PC-98 games, I haven't had time to look into that, but since I went to all the trouble and expense of buying one, it would only make sense that I pick up some other titles as well.
kitano

Post by kitano »

Most importantly, boobs really bounce in the Saturn version. In the psx version, for example, they just kind of twitch.

What? Someone had to point that out!
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

kitano wrote:Most importantly, boobs really bounce in the Saturn version.
Gotta love that enhanced framerate!
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

Agreed on the looks of the Saturn version... the portraits of Ishida and Saito where very nice, I wasn't able to play the Saturn version until several years after the Playstation version, but all those extra little details really did stand out because of it though. I really liked the extra animation, trailer, they did for the opening as well if you don't press start right away. I believe Marc has said they restored some of the missing dialog, not much, from the PC9821 version as well.

Although I do like the look of the 9821 version as a close second... makes me kind of nostalgic about my first time playing Snatcher.
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

Henry Spencer wrote:I wonder what other games there are for the PC98 that look as good as Policenauts?
I don’t know how many thousand PC98 games had been released but I’m quite sure that more than half of them are dealing with adult content; and among those non-adult oriented games you won’t find many outstanding titles.

Actually there would be some, if they hadn’t received better incarnations on consoles, such as Fray on the Turbo Duo or Popful Mail on the Mega CD. There’s especially a lack of good action titles. The only title in this genre I can recall that doesn’t seem to be substandard is Edge. It’s a side scrolling beat’em up but don’t expect too much. It’s supposed to be quite boring compared to Streets of Rage or the Capcom brawlers.

At least the likes of shoot’em ups can find some interesting games. In 1996 Compile released a shooter called Rude Breaker which seems to be relatively popular among shooter fans. Moreover, the original Steam Hearts game was released on the PC98. The adult scenes in the game were mitigated for the following console ports. There’s also a number of doujin shooters; Flame Zapper kotsujin probably being the most popular of them. Again, those titles might be interesting for fans but if you aren’t a 2D shooter addict, you can probably live on without having played them.

Of those countless PC98 RPGs, the Amaranth series and Dead Force might be interest for RPG fans but don’t expect anything Super Famicom like.

After all there’s one genre the PC98 does succeed in and as you can image, it’s graphic adventure games. No need to mention Policenauts but apart from that a company called Fairy Tale released six very atmospheric horror adventures by name Dead of the Brain I&II, Dracula hakushaku, Marine Philt, Necronomicon and Ballade for Maria. There’s also a horror point’n click adventure called Tokyo Twilight Busters made by Wolfteam in 1995 (their last but one release). This plays more like Western style adventures and seems to be one of the few sought after PC98 games. If you’re into anime licences you should go for Fushigi umi no Nadia or Silent Möbius. Yeah, this is definitely the genre the PC98 goes with.

Some Western games were also ported to the PC98. Among them Doom 1&2, Lands of Lore, Kyrandia 1&2, Prince of Persia 2, Flashback, Veil of Darkness and I think Indy 4 as well. This is probably not so important because they don’t differ from their original counterparts, at least if you use an adequate PC98.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

LeChuck wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:I wonder what other games there are for the PC98 that look as good as Policenauts?
I don’t know how many thousand PC98 games had been released but I’m quite sure that more than half of them are dealing with adult content; and among those non-adult oriented games you won’t find many outstanding titles.

Actually there would be some, if they hadn’t received better incarnations on consoles, such as Fray on the Turbo Duo or Popful Mail on the Mega CD. There’s especially a lack of good action titles. The only title in this genre I can recall that doesn’t seem to be substandard is Edge. It’s a side scrolling beat’em up but don’t expect too much. It’s supposed to be quite boring compared to Streets of Rage or the Capcom brawlers.

At least the likes of shoot’em ups can find some interesting games. In 1996 Compile released a shooter called Rude Breaker which seems to be relatively popular among shooter fans. Moreover, the original Steam Hearts game was released on the PC98. The adult scenes in the game were mitigated for the following console ports. There’s also a number of doujin shooters; Flame Zapper kotsujin probably being the most popular of them. Again, those titles might be interesting for fans but if you aren’t a 2D shooter addict, you can probably live on without having played them.

Of those countless PC98 RPGs, the Amaranth series and Dead Force might be interest for RPG fans but don’t expect anything Super Famicom like.

After all there’s one genre the PC98 does succeed in and as you can image, it’s graphic adventure games. No need to mention Policenauts but apart from that a company called Fairy Tale released six very atmospheric horror adventures by name Dead of the Brain I&II, Dracula hakushaku, Marine Philt, Necronomicon and Ballade for Maria. There’s also a horror point’n click adventure called Tokyo Twilight Busters made by Wolfteam in 1995 (their last but one release). This plays more like Western style adventures and seems to be one of the few sought after PC98 games. If you’re into anime licences you should go for Fushigi umi no Nadia or Silent Möbius. Yeah, this is definitely the genre the PC98 goes with.

Some Western games were also ported to the PC98. Among them Doom 1&2, Lands of Lore, Kyrandia 1&2, Prince of Persia 2, Flashback, Veil of Darkness and I think Indy 4 as well. This is probably not so important because they don’t differ from their original counterparts, at least if you use an adequate PC98.
Finally, somebody who knows.

Thanks for the heads up buddy! I've been wanting those atmospheric games you speak of for a while now, they sound (and look) brilliant.

Once I get my hands on a PC-98 or use the emulator (and figure out how) I'll be sure to pick those games up.
LeChuck

Post by LeChuck »

With the exception of Policenauts and Tokyo Twilight Busters, all of the mentioned adventure games had been released for the FM Towns II too; and they're all FM Towns Marty compatible as well.

The FM Towns II PCs, not to mention the Marty, are easy to use, much easier to find and less expensive than an adequate PC98. I also heard that there's an FM Towns emulator which is probably less complicated to handle than the Anex86.

If this Towns emulator works properly, it might be an alternative to the Anex86. In general the FM Towns has a larger library of quality games than the PC98 though Policenauts would be missing.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

The FM Towns also has ports of two games that feature LeChuck, LeChuck...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Thanks a lot for the detailed rundown on PC98 games. I suppose I should try and pick up some other good games for it since I went to all the trouble and expense of getting one. As you mentioned, I'd heard a lot of the system's library is rubbish, but I'll look into those you mentioned. Fairy Tale's works look interesting.

Our friends over at Tokugawa Corp. have a nice PC98 section, as well as a dedicated forum.

http://fullmotionvideo.free.fr/