Complexity of Policenaut's Japanese?

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
Marlboro

Complexity of Policenaut's Japanese?

Post by Marlboro »

Afternoon, all!

I'm considering the purchase of Policenauts for either Playstation or Sega Saturn and I was wondering about the complexity of the Japanese used in the game. For example; lots of kanji? Mainly hiragana? Use of furigana? Sentence complexity: slang words not listed in usual dictionaries; et cetera. I just want to know to ascertain a purchase, that's all..

Thank you!
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

Lost of Kanji, even medical and spcae terms, around 3000 Kanji at least, If I recall correctly around 4000. The language when not using specialized terminology is very understandable. Osiris will be able to provide you a better opinion though.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

From what you said, I take it you know some level of Japanese, right? The game has quite a bit of kanji (if you know all the joyo kanji + those certain other necessary characters then you won't have any problems -- i.e. there's nothing ridiculously rare) as well as specialized terminology dealing with areas like space and medicine. The grammar of the language isn't that hard. I find Kojima's writing to be easily understandable. He doesn't use a lot of slang constructions like in Dragon Ball, for instance. He uses kanji in place of hiragana wherever appropriate, which you'll know is actually preferable to hiragana. There is no furigana for the kanji, but there is ruby above certain technical words. For example, there will be コールド・スリープ above 仮死状態 -- it's usually just the English equivalents of the Japanese terms. And you won't find any words in it you can't find in online dictionaries. Hope this helps!
Last edited by Marc on Sun May 27, 2007 1:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Just curious, what are the "joyo' kanji?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

They're the 1,945 kanji the Japanese government has designated as "daily use"; that means Japanese are supposed to know their readings without furigana assistance (having them written out in kana). It doesn't include all the characters you'll see when you read a layman's printed work, however. There are others not on the list that crop up frequently and should also be learned.
Marlboro

Post by Marlboro »

Thank you for the information! Although my rather bad knowledge of kanji wouldn't extend to medicine nor space, I've got a very large Kondansha Kanji dictionary if I need assistance! Curious how they put katakana variants above certain kanji... I assumed Policenauts was targeted at an older audience..
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Marlboro wrote:Curious how they put katakana variants above certain kanji... I assumed Policenauts was targeted at an older audience..
It was targeted at an older audience; the katakana variants were to show Japanese what certain terms are in English. Kojima is interested in that sort of thing.