Newbie Text-Dump Question

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
ickyptang

Newbie Text-Dump Question

Post by ickyptang »

I imagine this is a very, very newbie question, but seeing as how I completely unfamiliar with the text-dump process, I was just wondering one thing regarding the in-progress text-dump of Policenauts...

Are you guys setting out to create a text-only translation, which could then be printed out and referenced when playing the game, or are you planning on creating a version of the game with the english text incorporated into it, which could then be played on emulator (much like the English ROM version of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX) or be burned to disc and played on a modded system?

Either way would be fine with me, I am just curious ; )

I would imagine that a printed-text version would be somewhat length, and possibly not even feasible, given the many choices and, thus, text-paths which are probably in the game, but, again, I am completely unfamiliar with how a text-dump works.

I am intending on getting Policenauts for the Saturn from eBay, and, like everyone else, would love to be able to play it either in English or while referring to English text. I would greatly prefer not to just use a walkthrough, since I want to enjoy this game as fully as possible...

Anyway, keep up the great work, and I will keep checking to see how things have progressed : )

-Steve
Rick Deckard
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rick Deckard »

If I had to guess, I'd go for the choice being the one where the game is to be altered in such a way that it has English text. No paper involved. Not literally anyway. Cyber paper perhaps.
Artemio
Site Admin
Favorite Game: Snatcher! ... no wait, Policenauts...
Kojima games owned: http://junkerhq.net/kojima.html
PSN: Artemio
Wii Friend Code: 6335316353781527
Xbox Live: JunkerHQ

Post by Artemio »

It is sytill way too early, since a text dump has not yet been done. Which is the first step needed to start the translation properly. But rest assured that the main targget would be a full translation.

If I do or know about any advance, I'll let you guys now here and at the site.
From the mathematical perspective, consciousness might be regarded as a second derivative of sensation.
-- Terrel Miedaner

[Junker HQ]
ickyptang

Post by ickyptang »

Thanks guys for your responses...

Would it be theoretically possible (not necessarily by any of you, since you guys are busy doing the real text-dump) for someone to do a "rough" translation, as it were, by just playing the game and writing down the Japanese text where it appears (as well as whatever necessary notes to know the context), and then translating that to English? This way one could print out that translation and follow-along as he or she played?

I know that this is not as accurate as a real text-dump, and would be somewhat more annoying than having in-game translation, but it might be quicker to get done and let a lot of people enjoy the game until the full text-dump is complete.

Again, I am not suggesting that anyone working on the real text-dump attempt this, since I know they are all busy... and if I spoke Japanese, I'd do it myself... so its just a suggestion ; )

Of course, if anything like this exists out there (not as a walkthrough, just as a straight language translation), let me know.

Thanks again.
-Steve
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Well I've done sort of what you suggested for most of the game, but I think we're waiting until we have it done propoerly to release something for the public...
ickyptang

Post by ickyptang »

I understand your reluctance to release the straight-language translation you have done to the public, but would you consider just sending me a copy of it? My copy of Policenauts should be arriving shortly, and I would like to be able to play (and understand) it...

I will still definitely eagerly await the full text-dump, but for now, I'd just like to be able to play the game, understand it, and get as much enjoyment out of it as is currently possible : )

If you are willing to send me whatever you have that is similar to what I described, it would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great work on the text dump, and good luck to everyone working on it.

-Steve