Question about the voice acting

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
snatcher1988
Runner

Question about the voice acting

Post by snatcher1988 »

When they did the 3DO, Playstation, and Saturn versions, did they bring back any of the voice actors who worked on the original PC-98 version, or did they simply recycle whatever voice clips that they could from that version?
Henry Spencer
General
Favorite Game: Shenmue I, MGS, Snatcher, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.
Kojima games owned: Metal Gear (NES)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (GB)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Policenauts (Saturn/PSX/3DO)
Snatcher (PC Engine/Mega CD)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)
Zone Of The Enders 2: Special Edition (PS2)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl; it counts, right? ;P
PSN: henryspencer666
Xbox Live: Magiking

Re: Question about the voice acting

Post by Henry Spencer »

snatcher1988 wrote:When they did the 3DO, Playstation, and Saturn versions, did they bring back any of the voice actors who worked on the original PC-98 version, or did they simply recycle whatever voice clips that they could from that version?
I've always wondered whether they re-recorded the voiceovers, myself. Good question. We all know who's gonna answer this one! :P
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Most of the dialogue in the console versions is right from the PC version, as there was no reason not to reuse it. Some was cut for space and style, but other parts were re-recorded completely, mainly for the scenes redone as anime sequences. They brought back all the original actors for these retakes.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Wait...you mean that the PC98 version has the most dialogue? :shock:

Never would have thought that.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Yeah, the original version had the largest amount of dialog. Even wikipedia acknowledges that. It also had a few scenes not in any of the home console versions, although from what I read, one of the missing scenes was brought back in the Saturn version.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Henry Spencer wrote:Wait...you mean that the PC98 version has the most dialogue? :shock:

Never would have thought that.
Yeah, it's bigger SINCE IT USED MEGADIK!!!11 (years before anyone else, too!).

Nah, it's just because they had a lot more disc space and Kojima wrote the game without any constraints. The program and graphic data was only about 18MB combined. The rest was devoted to sound, and even after that they still had half the disc left. When it came time to port it, they realized it could never fit with all the added cut-scenes, plus I think Kojima realized he rambled on in parts (which is totally unlike him, I must say).
Last edited by Marc on Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

Cool. I love how each version of the game has something new each time. Great stuff.
snatcher1988 wrote:Yeah, the original version had the largest amount of dialog. Even wikipedia acknowledges that. It also had a few scenes not in any of the home console versions, although from what I read, one of the missing scenes was brought back in the Saturn version.
Spoiler:
Where Karen points a gun at Jonathan whilst he's on the phone, right?
I heard about that a while back, anyway.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

snatcher1988 wrote:Yeah, the original version had the largest amount of dialog. Even wikipedia acknowledges that. It also had a few scenes not in any of the home console versions, although from what I read, one of the missing scenes was brought back in the Saturn version.
Dream sequence? Or was that something completely different?
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

shidoni wrote:
I don't know what scene they brought back in the Saturn version.

As for Henry's question:
Spoiler:
There was also a scene exclusive to the PC-98 version where Johnathan and Ed find themselves in a room with naked bodies, each and every one of them hung by wires. A clip from this scene was seen briefly in the trailer for the PC-98 version, but I doubt it was this scene that they brought back in the Saturn version.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

Henry Spencer wrote:Cool. I love how each version of the game has something new each time. Great stuff.
Spoiler:
Yeah, they even use Jonathans old PC98 character design in this scene and not the one from the 3DO and PSX versions.

I really noticed that they cut a lot of dialogue right at the end of the Prologue. In the PC98 version the stewardess is rambling on and on for eternity about...well, I don't know about what, but I suppose coming from her it can't be that important. In the console versions she has just a few short lines.

Osiris, would you say that they actually cut any important dialogue and information or was Kojima really just rambling in most parts, as you said.
Last edited by Charlie Johnson on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Charlie Johnson wrote: Yeah, they even use Jonathans old PC98 character design in this scene and not the one from the 3DO and PSX versions.
Objection! I want proof. :smile:
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Yeah, I want proof, too.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Sure.

Unfortunatly I don't have a screen of the PC98 at hand, but anyway, I guess that'll do.

That's Jonathan and Ed in the PSX and 3DO versions.

They both looked different in the PC98 version.

And that's the same scene from the Saturn version.

Ed looks the same as in the other console versions but Jonathan looks the same as he did in the PC98 version.
Last edited by Charlie Johnson on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Don't tell me that they couldn't afford enough money to update Johnathan's character design for that scene in the Saturn version.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Money lol? No, this was obviously preference-- which is kindof strange... Completely redrawn... Anyone have a shot of the scene from the PC 9821 version? Methinks they were copying directly from it, thus this shot was redrawn for consistancy...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:
No, that was newly added in the Saturn version.
snatcher1988 wrote:
shidoni wrote:
I don't know what scene they brought back in the Saturn version.

As for Henry's question:
Spoiler:
There was also a scene exclusive to the PC-98 version where Johnathan and Ed find themselves in a room with naked bodies, each and every one of them hung by wires. A clip from this scene was seen briefly in the trailer for the PC-98 version, but I doubt it was this scene that they brought back in the Saturn version.
That scene is still in the game, but the look of the room is totally different.
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Cool. I love how each version of the game has something new each time. Great stuff.
Spoiler:
Yeah, they even use Jonathans old PC98 character design in this scene and not the one from the 3DO and PSX versions.

I really noticed that they cut a lot of dialogue right at the end of the Prologue. In the PC98 version the stewardess is rambling on and on for eternity about...well, I don't know about what, but I suppose coming from her it can't be that important. In the console versions she has just a few short lines.

Osiris, would you say that they actually cut any important dialogue and information or was Kojima really just rambling in most parts, as you said.
I don't know if I'd say they use the old character design. It actually looks like the new one to me, apart from no cigarette in his mouth. But his jaw is still pointed, whereas it's rounded in the PC version. The background was also redone for the Saturn.

As for the cut dialogue, I shouldn't have said "rambling". That was just a joke. I actually prefer having it in the game. It adds a lot of little details that are otherwise missing. The extra lines you hear from the stewardess are her telling you what happens to your body in zero gravity and then going back to normal gravity on the space colony. The missing dialogue is usually worth it. Like when Jonathan and Ed first go to Hojo's house in Act 1, Ed says,

"I didn't even know Lorraine was living here. Last time I saw her was at your funeral."

That's removed in all the console versions. So in some ways, the original version feels more complete after you've played the console ones. They also removed some unspoken text too, yet added other text in later versions. Notice how bare Jonathan's desk is in the PC compared to later versions. So every version has its good points.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote:I don't know if I'd say they use the old character design. It actually looks like the new one to me, apart from no cigarette in his mouth. But his jaw is still pointed, whereas it's rounded in the PC version. The background was also redone for the Saturn.
You sure? I don't know about the background but his actual charakter artwork looks pretty much as I remember it from the PC98 version. Especially his eyes, his hair and the strange way he holds the phone. It definitly resembles the PC98 artwork much more than the other console versions did. I think I'm gonna check out the PC98 version again and make a screenshot to really compare the PC98 and Saturn versions. Or do you have a savegame near that scene in the PC98 version? I'd have to play the whole game again from the beginning to check it out.
As for the cut dialogue, I shouldn't have said "rambling". That was just a joke. I actually prefer having it in the game. It adds a lot of little details that are otherwise missing. The extra lines you hear from the stewardess are her telling you what happens to your body in zero gravity and then going back to normal gravity on the space colony.
I remember watching those engrish translated videos on Youtube from the user nurupon. His account's been deleted for a while now and as I said, his translation contained a lot of engrish but from what I've understood I think I remember her talking about that in the non-voiced dialogues in the console version.
The missing dialogue is usually worth it. Like when Jonathan and Ed first go to Hojo's house in Act 1, Ed says,

"I didn't even know Lorraine was living here. Last time I saw her was at your funeral."
And I really wonder why Kojima cut short lines like that out of the game. I figure this line doesn't take much space and it didn't even happen during an animated cutscene either.
That's removed in all the console versions. So in some ways, the original version feels more complete after you've played the console ones. They also removed some unspoken text too, yet added other text in later versions. Notice how bare Jonathan's desk is in the PC compared to later versions. So every version has its good points.
I guess so. Say, do you think it's worth seeking out the 3DO version? That's the only version I haven't played yet. Or is it pointless to play this version after the PSX and Saturn versions?
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Charlie Johnson wrote:
Osiris wrote:I don't know if I'd say they use the old character design. It actually looks like the new one to me, apart from no cigarette in his mouth. But his jaw is still pointed, whereas it's rounded in the PC version. The background was also redone for the Saturn.
You sure? I don't know about the background but his actual charakter artwork looks pretty much as I remember it from the PC98 version. Especially his eyes, his hair and the strange way he holds the phone. It definitly resembles the PC98 artwork much more than the other console versions did. I think I'm gonna check out the PC98 version again and make a screenshot to really compare the PC98 and Saturn versions. Or do you have a savegame near that scene in the PC98 version? I'd have to play the whole game again from the beginning to check it out.
No, I don't have a screenshot of him facing the screen, but I do have one of him turning to Karen, and he looks different from the later versions in it.
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Osiris wrote:As for the cut dialogue, I shouldn't have said "rambling". That was just a joke. I actually prefer having it in the game. It adds a lot of little details that are otherwise missing. The extra lines you hear from the stewardess are her telling you what happens to your body in zero gravity and then going back to normal gravity on the space colony.
I remember watching those engrish translated videos on Youtube from the user nurupon. His account's been deleted for a while now and as I said, his translation contained a lot of engrish but from what I've understood I think I remember her talking about that in the non-voiced dialogues in the console version.
She talks about that in the regular text, yeah, but the spoken lines at the end of the flight are different. I actually found them to be pretty interesting.
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Osiris wrote:The missing dialogue is usually worth it. Like when Jonathan and Ed first go to Hojo's house in Act 1, Ed says,

And I really wonder why Kojima cut short lines like that out of the game. I figure this line doesn't take much space and it didn't even happen during an animated cutscene either.
He would've had to trim the fat, and I guess he cut what he felt was unnecessary. All those short lines add up.
Charlie Johnson wrote:
Osiris wrote:That's removed in all the console versions. So in some ways, the original version feels more complete after you've played the console ones. They also removed some unspoken text too, yet added other text in later versions. Notice how bare Jonathan's desk is in the PC compared to later versions. So every version has its good points.
I guess so. Say, do you think it's worth seeking out the 3DO version? That's the only version I haven't played yet. Or is it pointless to play this version after the PSX and Saturn versions?
Yeah, if you're a hardcore fan, I would say go ahead and play the 3DO too. It has some interesting quirks to it. The chairs in Hojo's DDS lab are all pink, for instance. Then Saito tells you it's because pink is proven to stimulate the intellectual part of the brain. :lol: It does look a little ridiculous, though, which is probably why they changed it. But there are visual and audio differences that you can appreciate even if you don't understand the words.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

What a weird way to hold a phone lol
Osiris wrote:The chairs in Hojo's DDS lab are all pink, for instance. Then Saito tells you it's because pink is proven to stimulate the intellectual part of the brain. :lol:
Y'know, my korean friend's lime green notepad said that it's hue rested the eyes. Hmm.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Osiris wrote: No, I don't have a screenshot of him facing the screen, but I do have one of him turning to Karen, and he looks different from the later versions in it.
Yeah, that definitly looks different than in the Saturn version.
Though I still believe that Jonathan looked as he did in the PC98 version while he spoke to Ed. Meh, I only played the PC98 version once, so I guess I'm wrong.
Yeah, if you're a hardcore fan, I would say go ahead and play the 3DO too. It has some interesting quirks to it. The chairs in Hojo's DDS lab are all pink, for instance. Then Saito tells you it's because pink is proven to stimulate the intellectual part of the brain. :lol: It does look a little ridiculous, though, which is probably why they changed it. But there are visual and audio differences that you can appreciate even if you don't understand the words.
Pink chairs?

I can't tell if you're joking right now.:lol:

I'm also curious about the other differences you pointed out. (But please don't tell me, if I get the game I'd like to see them for myself.)

And I see the 3DO version costs around 10-20€ on Ebay, that's not much. I think I'll get one, then I have all versions. (Except an original copy of the PC98 version, but that's a different story...)

Edit: Oh and by the way. How come there are subtitles in your PC98 screenshot? After all this scene should be voiced and therefore don't have subtitles in this version.
Last edited by Charlie Johnson on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Spencer
General
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Zone Of The Enders (PS2)

Post by Henry Spencer »

The amount of differences between the versions is incredible...it's just like Blade Runner and all of its different cuts, all of which add something a lot of new interesting information. Snatcher is another fine example of something different in each version, too. Truly outstanding.

I actually didn't realise where was that much different between each version of Policenauts, though, which means I'm going to really wait in anticipation after completing the PSX version with the patch, waiting on the other versions and noticing their differences.

And yes, Charlie, you should definitely get the 3DO version, I have it. There a few big changes to scenes, which are exclusive to the 3DO version, I shall not spoil it for you, but it you will notice them the first time you play through them! You will be surprised, though. :smile:
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Charlie Johnson wrote: Yeah, that definitly looks different than in the Saturn version.

Wait a sec now, the only major difference I can see besides the bg is their face designs-- even most of the shading is the same...
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

shidoni wrote:
Charlie Johnson wrote: Yeah, that definitly looks different than in the Saturn version.

Wait a sec now, the only major difference I can see besides the bg is their face designs-- even most of the shading is the same...
The screens aren't totally different between the PC and console versions. For a lot of them, they just redrew them with the different color palette. Some areas, however, are totally redesigned (Tokugawa Pharmaceuticals, the linear rail exterior, the Moon Plant interior).
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

S'what I figured...
Missing
Second Lieutenant

Post by Missing »

Osiris wrote:Nah, it's just because they had a lot more disc space and Kojima wrote the game without any constraints. The program and graphic data was only about 18MB combined. The rest was devoted to sound, and even after that they still had half the disc left. When it came time to port it, they realized it could never fit with all the added cut-scenes, plus I think Kojima realized he rambled on in parts (which is totally unlike him, I must say).
Totally unlike him to ramble, or totally unlike him to realize it....?