PC98 Policenauts intro

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
snatcher1988
Runner

PC98 Policenauts intro

Post by snatcher1988 »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AX51-e5mREM

Here it is, for your viewing pleasure, the original PC98 intro to Policenauts.
RandommodnaR
Runner

Post by RandommodnaR »

Neat! Thanks man! :smile:
And then the long pulse of Zion Dub...
8bitsonic
Major
Favorite Game: Snatcher
Kojima games owned: MGS Essential Collection, Snatcher (PC88/PCE/MCD), Policenauts (TheBest/PSone Books). Also have Bleemcast for MGS.
PSN: The_Swill_Man
Wii Friend Code: 8648649929043816
Xbox Live: The Swill Man

Post by 8bitsonic »

Is it running emulated? I thought the music was supposed to be all borked up under PC98 emulation.
Charlie Johnson
Second Lieutenant

Post by Charlie Johnson »

I asked him and he said he's using Anex86 and the CD sound works anyway. Dunno why.

He's still suffering from the lip sync problem though.
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

Just out of curiosity, what are the chances of far superior PC98 emulation for Policenauts?
LiquidPolicenaut
Favorite Game: Snatcher, Policenauts, Lunar:TSS, Lunar:EB
PSN: LiquidSnake2047
Xbox Live: LiquidSnake2047

Post by LiquidPolicenaut »

Charlie Johnson wrote:I asked him and he said he's using Anex86 and the CD sound works anyway. Dunno why.

He's still suffering from the lip sync problem though.
That "HE" would be me :) I figured I would post more vids (like I had said earlier in another post) and give people a chance to see Policenauts in action on the PC-98. Of course, the emulation isnt perfect, but its pretty damn good! I just posted a video for the end of the Prologue (slightly edited down for time constraints...nothing really big cut out) and it really give sthe game a whole different vibe...and a good one at that! Enjoy!
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

Here's a handheld video I made a couple weeks ago of the intro on PC98 hardware, all the way from boot-up to when you start playing the game in Jonathan's office. Complete with scanlines. :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5500NULF
snatcher1988
Runner

Post by snatcher1988 »

I watched it, and here are some observations that I'd like to make of it:
Spoiler:
First of all, the Konami Wave jingle sounds very beautiful. Is this the same variant of the Konami wave jingle that was heard in many of the company's arcade games that were made around the same time?

Second of all, I recognized 3 songs heard in that video: "Legendary Faces" (the title screen music), "Old L.A. 2040" (the original opening titles theme), and "Criminal Investigation Part 1" (the music that is played when the player is first introduced to Jonathan Ingram). Not sure what is the name of the song that is played whenever they introduce the next act.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

snatcher1988 wrote:I watched it, and here are some observations that I'd like to make of it:
Spoiler:
First of all, the Konami Wave jingle sounds very beautiful. Is this the same variant of the Konami wave jingle that was heard in many of the company's arcade games that were made around the same time?

Second of all, I recognized 3 songs heard in that video: "Legendary Faces" (the title screen music), "Old L.A. 2040" (the original opening titles theme), and "Criminal Investigation Part 1" (the music that is played when the player is first introduced to Jonathan Ingram). Not sure what is the name of the song that is played whenever they introduce the next act.
Your answers... :)
Spoiler:
Yes, it's the same jingle, but better quality than previous hardware. It's the best-sounding version, in my opinion.

You're right about those 3 songs. The title screen music is different in this one from the other 3 versions (Legendary Faces, which normally plays in the opening scene of the console versions). The song at the beginning of each act doesn't have a name since it wasn't included on the OST.
The reason I stopped right before 10:00 was in case I uploaded it to YouTube. I can make other videos if people are interested.
shidoni
Major
Kojima games owned: Zone of The Enders
Anubis: Zone of The Enders
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

Thanks for the wicked vid, Osiris... Nice, sentimental stuff lol~
I'd like to see what the face animations look like, emulation tends to muff it up....
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Does anybody know if they had to animate it pixel by pixel for the pc-engine, or was there some way of putting their drawings into the game?
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

JimboKudo wrote:Does anybody know if they had to animate it pixel by pixel for the pc-engine, or was there some way of putting their drawings into the game?
Aja de.... Proofs would be made by either in-house artists, or Kinoshita himself... OK'd by Kojima, then sent to the visual department to be reproduced by a bunch of pixle-pushers left over from the 80s. That's my semi-semi-semi-educated guess, if anyone actually knows, then feel free as a bird.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

shidoni wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:Does anybody know if they had to animate it pixel by pixel for the pc-engine, or was there some way of putting their drawings into the game?
Aja de.... Proofs would be made by either in-house artists, or Kinoshita himself... OK'd by Kojima, then sent to the visual department to be reproduced by a bunch of pixle-pushers left over from the 80s. That's my semi-semi-semi-educated guess, if anyone actually knows, then feel free as a bird.
That's kinda what I figured was the case, but jeez, that'd take forever. I've done pixel art before and it's hard enough to get a midget rpg character to look like he's walking. Still, I don't think there was a way to put drawings directly into games back then. Not to mention, in the intro for the pc-engine game, when he gets out of the car, he opens the door, and the door is actually seperate from the car. I think your educated guess is probably correct.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

^Compression would be the main contender in that bout... I'm sure you've seen what happens when you add vinegar and baking powder--I mean, what happens when you compress a 32-bit picture into 256 colors...

A little off-topic, but......
I wonder if anyone's ever even remotely heard of anyone coming into contact with the cels AIC used in Policenauts' production. Any of those would be insane to gaze upon.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

shidoni wrote:^Compression would be the main contender in that bout... I'm sure you've seen what happens when you add vinegar and baking powder--I mean, what happens when you compress a 32-bit picture into 256 colors...

A little off-topic, but......
I wonder if anyone's ever even remotely heard of anyone coming into contact with the cels AIC used in Policenauts' production. Any of those would be insane to gaze upon.
Do you mean the original drawings?
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

That would be amazing to see the original art elements for the game... probably the closest you can get would be to get the Japanese guide books, they have tons of artwork in them.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

gatse_becker wrote:That would be amazing to see the original art elements for the game... probably the closest you can get would be to get the Japanese guide books, they have tons of artwork in them.
Would Ebay have the artbooks? That would be pretty awesome.
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

^ The Visual Data Book is available in a somewhat abundance.

I meant the celluloids (one of these: http://moeroshop.net/images/medium/08-1 ... -a_MED.jpg ) AIC used when animating the cut-scenes on the console versions of Policenauts... Maybe they were just destroyed, maybe some employees took 'em, maybe someone's got a hefty collection at Konami, I really can't figure where they'd be now...
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

shidoni wrote:^ The Visual Data Book is available in a somewhat abundance.

I meant the celluloids (one of these: http://moeroshop.net/images/medium/08-1 ... -a_MED.jpg ) AIC used when animating the cut-scenes on the console versions of Policenauts... Maybe they were just destroyed, maybe some employees took 'em, maybe someone's got a hefty collection at Konami, I really can't figure where they'd be now...
Geez, if they're ever found they're probably gonna be worth a lot of cash. Do you know if companies usually only have one set or do they generally make extras? (Sorry, I really can't expect anybody to know any of this, but I'm just checking.)
shidoni
Major
Metal Gear Solid
Policenauts (PS)

Post by shidoni »

JimboKudo wrote:
shidoni wrote:^ The Visual Data Book is available in a somewhat abundance.

Geez, if they're ever found they're probably gonna be worth a lot of cash. Do you know if companies usually only have one set or do they generally make extras? (Sorry, I really can't expect anybody to know any of this, but I'm just checking.)
Celluloids are one-of-a-kind... They're painstakingly hand-painted... So any you find, I would imagine would be worth a mint. Though I wouldn't keep any if I found them; I'd send 'em off to Marc and the boys as thank-yous lol...