So I just bought the Saturn version

Talk about Kojima's hard sci-fi masterpiece.
DefaultGen

So I just bought the Saturn version

Post by DefaultGen »

I picked up the Saturn version for a mere 20 bucks on Ebay because every time I manage to save more than a couple bucks I have to go out and spend it right away so I can be perpetually broke.

Anyway, it's the first copy I ever found randomly floating on Ebay, figure this is the place to ask what it's worth, not that I really plan on reselling.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0206871007
87th
General
Favorite Game: MetalGear 2: Solid Snake
Kojima games owned: METALGEAR SERIES
MetalGear (MSX2) [European]
MetalGear (NES) [European]
MetalGear (Famicom) [Japanese]
MetalGear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) [Japanese]
Snake's Revenge (NES) [European]
MetalGear Solid (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Premium Pack (PlayStation) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Integral (PlayStation) [Japanese]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear: Ghost Babel (Gameboy Color) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance + The Document of MGS2 (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) [European]
MetalGear Solid 2: Substance (PC) [European]
MetalGear AC!D (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Premium Pack (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear AC!D2 (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [Japanese]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - Promo copy (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid 3: Subsistence - 1st Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Digital Graphic Novel (PSP) [European]
MetalGear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP) [American]
MetalGear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Limited Edition (+ Bonus Disc, Soundtrack and 6" Old Snake Action Figure) [European]

SNATCHER SERIES
Snatcher (Mega CD) [European]
Snatcher (Saturn) [Japanese]

POLICENAUTS SERIES
Policenauts Pilot Disk (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (3DO) [Japanese]
Policenauts (PlayStation) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]
Policenauts (Saturn) [Japanese]

ZONE OF THE ENDERS SERIES
Zone Of the Enders (PlayStation 2) [European]
Zone Of the Enders: The Second Runner - Special Edition (PlayStation 2) [European]

BOKTAI SERIES
boktai: The Sun Is In Your Hand! (Gameboy Advance) [European]
boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (Gameboy Advance) [European]

OTHER SERIES
Penguin Adventure (MSX) [European]
Kabushiki Baibai Trainer Kabutore (DS) [Japanese]

KOJIMA-RELATED GAMES
Konami Krazy Racers (Gameboy Advance) [European]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) [American]
PSN: eighty7th
Wii Friend Code: 4890580757769739

Post by 87th »

It's hard to say. Judging by the jump in price the PlayStation version got, I expect it will change quite a lot when the Saturn translation is finished.
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

I would say that it is definitely worth the price. That is still one of my most prized games in my collection, and to me next to the PC-9821 version was the best edition of the game. The art book alone is worth it... and eventually, probably a few years down the road, when the Saturn version is patched, that will be the one to have and play.

From the looks of it, it is in pretty good shape as well... so congrats on the awesome find!
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

The one thing about the Saturn version is that it's going to be a bit difficult to emulate properly. It's hard enough to saturn on the computer, but it's going to be even worse fixing all the bugs that will come from the game. Still, I'm sure in time there will be an excellent emulation process. Just curious, does anybody know where I can find some other versions of Policenauts? I'm more of a collector (I have the PSX game since I know I'll be able to play it soon), but I'd still like to play the games I buy. If anybody knows any good websites for buying other versions, besides the PSX, then that would be helpful.
Marc
General

Post by Marc »

JimboKudo wrote:The one thing about the Saturn version is that it's going to be a bit difficult to emulate properly. It's hard enough to saturn on the computer, but it's going to be even worse fixing all the bugs that will come from the game. Still, I'm sure in time there will be an excellent emulation process. Just curious, does anybody know where I can find some other versions of Policenauts? I'm more of a collector (I have the PSX game since I know I'll be able to play it soon), but I'd still like to play the games I buy. If anybody knows any good websites for buying other versions, besides the PSX, then that would be helpful.
I heard newer Saturn emulators have emulated PN perfectly.

Hmm, other versions. Honestly, ebay and Yahoo Auctions Japan are pprrrrrrobably your best bet.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

Osiris wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:The one thing about the Saturn version is that it's going to be a bit difficult to emulate properly. It's hard enough to saturn on the computer, but it's going to be even worse fixing all the bugs that will come from the game. Still, I'm sure in time there will be an excellent emulation process. Just curious, does anybody know where I can find some other versions of Policenauts? I'm more of a collector (I have the PSX game since I know I'll be able to play it soon), but I'd still like to play the games I buy. If anybody knows any good websites for buying other versions, besides the PSX, then that would be helpful.

Hmm, other versions. Honestly, ebay and Yahoo Auctions Japan are pprrrrrrobably your best bet.
Wow, I'm surprised that they emulate it well. Normally games have all sorts of problems for the saturn emulators. So now all I need is a better computer to run the emulator (after I buy the game). I guess I'll just keep looking on ebay and stuff for the games
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

JimboKudo wrote:
Osiris wrote:

Wow, I'm surprised that they emulate it well. Normally games have all sorts of problems for the saturn emulators. So now all I need is a better computer to run the emulator (after I buy the game). I guess I'll just keep looking on ebay and stuff for the games
Yeah I am replaying Policenauts for Saturn as we speak on SSF... and the emulation is pretty much perfect. Honestly most of the games I have tested out work almost perfectly. Most modern computers, bought within the last two years or so, should easily be able to emulate the Saturn.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

gatse_becker wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:
Osiris wrote:

Yeah I am replaying Policenauts for Saturn as we speak on SSF... and the emulation is pretty much perfect. Honestly most of the games I have tested out work almost perfectly. Most modern computers, bought within the last two years or so, should easily be able to emulate the Saturn.
Hmm, I don't think my computer will cut it. I've got a 500mhz laptop with 24 bit graphics. I'm more of a console gamer, so that's why I've got such an old computer. I've also got a desktop pc, but that's 500mhz with *shock of amazement* an 11 mb graphics card. I really need to get a new computer soon. It would be pretty cool to play the saturn version of policenauts. By the way, do you speak Japanese, or do you just know how to get through the game? I started playing the PSX version in Japanese, but I only know a little of the language (and barely any kanji or hiragana). I eventually stopped because I figured it'd be more fun to play the game with english subtitles, but I actually didn't get stuck at all. Now I'm just waiting for the english patch.
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

No... I don't know how to speak Japanese. I got through the game mostly by trail and error the first time I played it, back in 1998 I believe, although I tend to understand it a bit better now. I went online shortly after finishing it the first time looking for help, and a way to get the game released in English, and met up with several people that are on this board today including Marc. I have been able to gain a fairly significant understanding of the game, from multiple play throughs, and from the people I have spoke to that can understand Japanese, although only one comes to mind at the moment. :grin:

Its crazy... I don't think I have ever gone back and beaten most games more than once, twice in some extreme circumstances, but I have played through Policenauts probably over 8 times. Not sure why really, other than that I just love the game, easily probably my favorite game of all time.
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

gatse_becker wrote:No... I don't know how to speak Japanese. I got through the game mostly by trail and error the first time I played it, back in 1998 I believe, although I tend to understand it a bit better now. I went online shortly after finishing it the first time looking for help, and a way to get the game released in English, and met up with several people that are on this board today including Marc. I have been able to gain a fairly significant understanding of the game, from multiple play throughs, and from the people I have spoke to that can understand Japanese, although only one comes to mind at the moment. :grin:

Its crazy... I don't think I have ever gone back and beaten most games more than once, twice in some extreme circumstances, but I have played through Policenauts probably over 8 times. Not sure why really, other than that I just love the game, easily probably my favorite game of all time.
I just beat Snatcher for the Sega CD about a month ago. Two months before that I beat the MSX version. I think these adventure games with voice acting and good plotlines are excellent no matter how many times you play them. I really wanted to continue playing Policenauts, but I didn't want to spoil the game for myself by not knowing the in depth plot. Do you suggest that I pick it up again? It was definetly fun from what I played, even though I couldn't understand much except from context.
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

JimboKudo wrote:
gatse_becker wrote:No... I don't know how to speak Japanese. I got through the game mostly by trail and error the first time I played it, back in 1998 I believe, although I tend to understand it a bit better now. I went online shortly after finishing it the first time looking for help, and a way to get the game released in English, and met up with several people that are on this board today including Marc. I have been able to gain a fairly significant understanding of the game, from multiple play throughs, and from the people I have spoke to that can understand Japanese, although only one comes to mind at the moment. :grin:

I just beat Snatcher for the Sega CD about a month ago. Two months before that I beat the MSX version. I think these adventure games with voice acting and good plotlines are excellent no matter how many times you play them. I really wanted to continue playing Policenauts, but I didn't want to spoil the game for myself by not knowing the in depth plot. Do you suggest that I pick it up again? It was definetly fun from what I played, even though I couldn't understand much except from context.
Boy that is a tuff call man... when I beat it the first time all those years ago the internet was a very different place. There was pretty much no hope for a translation, and virtually no information existed in a very tangible form anywhere on line. With the prospect of a patch being created and released in the near future... I would honestly wait... of course I am not always the most patient person, so that would probably be pretty hard for me! :grin:
JimboKudo
Major

Post by JimboKudo »

gatse_becker wrote:
JimboKudo wrote:

Boy that is a tuff call man... when I beat it the first time all those years ago the internet was a very different place. There was pretty much no hope for a translation, and virtually no information existed in a very tangible form anywhere on line. With the prospect of a patch being created and released in the near future... I would honestly wait... of course I am not always the most patient person, so that would probably be pretty hard for me! :grin:
Yeah, you're probably right. I think I'll wait. That way I won't ruin any surprises that might come from context. Thanks for the help.
gatse_becker
Runner

Post by gatse_becker »

No problem! :grin:
BlackChamber

Post by BlackChamber »

Hi. Do you guys know if the Saturn Emulator will run a burned copy of Policenauts. I have a real copy of Policenauts but I don't want it to get damaged so I have always wanted to find a way to play the copy.

Thanks for your replies.
Those Who Dare Win - SAS
Pulstar

Post by Pulstar »

BlackChamber

Post by BlackChamber »

thanks Pulstar.
Those Who Dare Win - SAS